College bowl games thread

freestater

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

My VOLS play CLEMSON tonight in the Orange Bowl. Wish them luck. 4 guys are opting out due to draft status ? Hendon Hooker not playing due to the knee injury, and his replacement Joe Milton might have the strongest arm in the SEC but the problem is he over throws his wrs 80% of the time because of it. I don't expect my VOLS to win for these reasons. Lol

Taking a shot with your vols.

have a feeling

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, TNJet said:

My VOLS play CLEMSON tonight in the Orange Bowl. Wish them luck. 4 guys are opting out due to draft status ? Hendon Hooker not playing due to the knee injury, and his replacement Joe Milton might have the strongest arm in the SEC but the problem is he over throws his wrs 80% of the time because of it. I don't expect my VOLS to win for these reasons. Lol

Congrats.

well done

• Upvote 1

Well getting ready for another day.

one thing I have been noticing in the bowl games and even through the season is some if the unbelievable catches these college kids make.

not necessarily the one handers, but some of these guys have the defender draped all over them to the point of interference and still bring in the catch.

very impressive

let’s start it off at noon.

goingto take a shot with the under in the Iowa game.

I usually favor  overs in bowl games but simply don’t know where the points come in this one.

good luck to all

• Upvote 1

Love having two semis today on NYE we're not going out esp looking forward to Ohio State-Georgia. btw Stetson Bennett could be a late round draft pick and I'd seriously consider taking him he's an overachiever and might end up being a good game manager not something to sneeze at having a Qb who can adequately run an offense. 

12 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Coastal has a pretty cool golf course, if you’re into the game. A lot of doglegs right, which makes it a rare left handed friendly layout.

I loved golf and lived in a country club in Scottsdale for 8 years that had a beautiful desert course.  I don't have one of those silky smooth swings and my back can't handle it anymore.  

It pisses me off that I can't play golf anymore.  The positive is that I'm able to work out and keep myself fit without having my back out for 2 weeks.  Tennis is the same problem.  I think you have to be careful with an extended club or racket.  It puts lots of torque on your back even if you have an amazing fluid swing.  I don't.  

Moved to Coastal, eastern CT a couple of years ago.  Love living in a classic NE town and I'm getting into sailing.  The big downside is I get the Pats, Red Sox and Celtic feeds.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I loved golf and lived in a country club in Scottsdale for 8 years that had a beautiful desert course.  I don't have one of those silky smooth swings and my back can't handle it anymore.  

It pisses me off that I can't play golf anymore.  The positive is that I'm able to work out and keep myself fit without having my back out for 2 weeks.  Tennis is the same problem.  I think you have to be careful with an extended club or racket.  It puts lots of torque on your back even if you have an amazing fluid swing.  I don't.  

Moved to Coastal, eastern CT a couple of years ago.  Love living in a classic NE town and I'm getting into sailing.  The big downside is I get the Pats, Red Sox and Celtic feeds.  

I love NE… sounds like you found a great spot.

When I was a kid, I spent summers out on the East End of Long Island (Southampton) with my grandparents. We got about 4 stations. CBS because William Pawley erected a tv tower so he could watch the station he owned, and a few from NE. I watched a bunch of Red Sox games, and since Carl Yastrzemski was a townie, he was my favorite player.

The big ones today.   Bama v kansas State to start off, as usual a lot of good players from bama to keep an eye on.

Then the two main games.  TCU vs Michigan and then Georgia vs Ohio State.  I do not think either game is a certainty.  Could be upsets in one or the other or both.  The lines are Michigan by 7.5 and Georgia by 6

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I love NE… sounds like you found a great spot.

When I was a kid, I spent summers out on the East End of Long Island (Southampton) with my grandparents. We got about 4 stations. CBS because William Pawley erected a tv tower so he could watch the station he owned, and a few from NE. I watched a bunch of Red Sox games, and since Carl Yastrzemski was a townie, he was my favorite player.

I'm guessing you're an old fart like me.  No offense.  Back in the 60's most of the East end was farmed by New Englanders.  Most of Suffolk county was farms.  Big Red Sox and NY Giant fan base before the merger.  

It's amazing how many people have settled in Suffolk county since the late 60's.   The whole county was pretty much rural farming when I was a kid.  Now it's much more suburban NYC than rural New England.  

On 12/28/2022 at 9:56 PM, Trotter said:

I had Kansas ml.

did not work out but never thought I would even be in a position

I haven't really followed college football this year what are your picks for today?  Looking to make these games a little more interesting....I'm thinking TCU and Georgia.

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'm guessing you're an old fart like me.  No offense.  Back in the 60's most of the East end was farmed by New Englanders.  Most of Suffolk county was farms.  Big Red Sox and NY Giant fan base before the merger.  

It's amazing how many people have settled in Suffolk county since the late 60's.   The whole county was pretty much rural farming when I was a kid.  Now it's much more suburban NYC than rural New England.  

No offense taken, ?

The North Fork still has a little of that old feel to it, but the Hamptons becoming a “thing” in the early 80’s changed the South Fork (and I guess the East End) forever.

I used to love it out there, I have so many great memories from back then. I’ll take a ride out there a few times a year to play golf or just walk through the towns when I’m up visiting on Long Island and I’m amazed (sad) at how it has changed.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

No offense taken, ?

The North Fork still has a little of that old feel to it, but the Hamptons becoming a “thing” in the early 80’s changed the South Fork (and I guess the East End) forever.

I used to love it out there, I have so many great memories from back then. I’ll take a ride out there a few times a year to play golf or just walk through the towns when I’m up visiting on Long Island and I’m amazed (sad) at how it has changed.

It's amazing how different you see things when you leave and go back.....not that long ago I thought I would never leave Long Island now I go back and think why did I stay so long. lol

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, undertow said:

It's amazing how different you see things when you leave and go back.....not that long ago I thought I would never leave Long Island now I go back and think why did I stay so long. lol

My family is all here, and my daughter just bought a home and is expecting twins in 4 weeks so I’m always going to be making the trip up, I guess.

I’m like you though. I’m over it. If it weren’t for them, I’d never come back.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

My family is all here, and my daughter just bought a home and is expecting twins in 4 weeks so I’m always going to be making the trip up, I guess.

I’m like you though. I’m over it. If it weren’t for them, I’d never come back.

Congrats!  I'm actually the last to leave and all my old friends usually meet up in Vegas for March Madness and I go see the Jets in Miami once a year....been back once in the past 5 years not sure if i'll ever make it back up.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, undertow said:

I haven't really followed college football this year what are your picks for today?  Looking to make these games a little more interesting....I'm thinking TCU and Georgia.

Not a great feel today but took a shot with the under in the Iowa game

i do like tcu but call me nuts the game I like is Ohio state outright.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Not a great feel today but took a shot with the under in the Iowa game

i do like tcu but call me nuts the game I like is Ohio state outright.

I usually stay away from games with no meaning because it's impossible to tell what teams are motivated...makes for good under dog picks like Kansas State I guess.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

At least in college it is 15 yards unlike the pros where it is a 51 yard penalty.

So if you’re beat 51 yards downfield it makes sense just to just blatantly interfere with the receiver and save 36 or more yards of field position and possibly a score?
It works both ways.