Derek Carr benched and likely out in Las Vegas

Matt39

15 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re overreacting to a bad team that’s cash poor looking to get out of big contracts tear the team down and start a rebuild under a bad coach.

Carr is a very good QB, and your prediction on his future play isn’t based on anything factual, it’s a pretty off the wall opinion, to be honest.

Dude threw for almost 5k yards last year with a fired coach and a killer at wr… I can’t believe how fans are scoffing at carr like he’s some scrub. His career stats, if in a jets uniform, would have him in the ring of honor and a statue of him. This is nonsense. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Based on what?

He's played in 24 of a possible 34 games the last 2 years bc of injuries. You can't miss 33% of your teams games and be considered a top 10 QB.

His best attribute is his legs and he's getting hurt bc of that. This injury problem is either going to get worse bc he keeps running or his play will get worse bc he stops running. Either way that's not a guy you invest a long term big money deal to. There's a reason the Ravens haven't and won't unless it's almost a year to year roster bonus guarantee type deal that they can get out of at any time with very little cap damage to them. 

I’m sorry, man, but I’m going to sit this dance out.

If you’ve watched this guy work magic from the day he came into the league (and win a MVP) with next to no weapons around him, then answer someone who says he’s damn close to a top 10 QB starting with “based on what?”… that’s not a discussion worth my time.

I’m not smart enough to change your mind, and you’re too dug in to listen. Let’s just move on, okay.

50 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

I  wouldnt mind carr but when has he ever entered a MVP conversation? 

2015, 2016 (before he broke his leg, I believe he was the leader in MVP voting) and 2020 for a time.

The guy isn’t Mahomes or Allen but he’s been a sustained Top 12 QB for nearly a decade.

Why any member of this fanbase would so eagerly shrug that off is beyond me.

The upside of Mike White is that we could possibly have Matt Schaub on our hands for 5 years.

Derek Carr has a proven track record of sustained production while playing QB for one of the most dysfunctional organizations in professional sports…

image.gif.3c9a7264abbce173fc6f20e5146cca7a.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m going to leave that last sentence you wrote to go unanswered except to say I can’t believe I’m reading some of the QB evaluations people are posting in this thread.

Isn’t it wild to see… you have a 32 year old available for a team that experts have said is qb away from serious contention, which carr would fit that bill… and you have fans who have watched, in recent years, Sam darnold, Zach Wilson, the corpse of joe flacco, Chris strevler, Josh Mccown, etc… and some of these fans are scoffing at carr and hoping for JACOBY BRISSET!!

it’s a wild world to live in. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Isn’t it wild to see… you have a 32 year old available for a team that experts have said is qb away from serious contention, which carr would fit that bill… and you have fans who have watched, in recent years, Sam darnold, Zach Wilson, the corpse of joe flacco, Chris strevler, Josh Mccown, etc… and some of these fans are scoffing at carr and hoping for JACOBY BRISSET!!

it’s a wild world to live in. 

It’s amazing. (this is me biting my tongue)

• Upvote 1

Derek Carr is a bridge to get the Jets back on QB track. 

Give the Raiders a draft pick and ask Carr to restructure-pay him the same amount of money (more than an other team will pay) but try and backend some of it so Wilson can be unloaded.  Sign a veteran backup and start drafting QBs, like Ron Wolf said, every year.  

Eventually in 3 years or so the Jets will have another QB.

Carr will not want to play in high tax NJ in the Devil’s Backyard.  he needs to be persuaded.  If the Raiders cut him, he is negotiating all over again, and I don’t know whether he ends up with what he gets paid now.  The Jets should pay him what his contract requires to get him in the door.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

Give the Raiders a draft pick and ask Carr to restructure-pay him the same amount of money (more than an other team will pay) but try and backend some of it so Wilson can be unloaded.  Sign a veteran backup and start drafting QBs, like Ron Wolf said, every year.  

Carr will not want to play in high tax NJ in the Devil’s Backyard.  he needs to be persuaded.  If the Raiders cut him, he is negotiating all over again, and I don’t know whether he ends up with what he gets paid now.  The Jets should pay him what his contract requires to get him in the door.  

You make a very good argument here, except maybe the thing about him worrying about the taxes.

I’m biased though. I’d love to see him or Mayfield here next year, so I’m an easy one to convince. ?

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

He will be 32 to start next year, that should give him a 3 to 5 year window of prime/ solid play. Coinciding with when we have to pay our rookies. This window is for a vet qb to lead.. after that, like you said, you try to pluck one from the draft and develop them.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

I still have yet to hear a reason why the Raiders might be willing to part with a "top 15 QB" with no other QB on the roster and without a pick high enough to get a top QB. 

Give me a break. 

Do we really need to provide you with a list of stupid things the raiders have done in the last decade? 

Why would you assume they're making a good decision?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Please tell me why a Jets fan would say no to this? 

Hilarious this is reality for Jets fans. Just this graphic itself.

A legend and then Carr, lots of Carr. But then the context from this thread also, I just can't.

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

I still have yet to hear a reason why the Raiders might be willing to part with a "top 15 QB" with no other QB on the roster and without a pick high enough to get a top QB. 

Give me a break. 

They aren't a good team. With a QB contract like that, you need to be competing at a higher level. The David Carr benching has nothing to do with him as a player, it has everything to do with the contract and - money. The 3 INTs game was just a pretext. He had 11 Ints and 24 TDs going into that game 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Team game. the raiders defense has pretty consistently been bad in his career. The best defense he ever had ranked 16 in dvoa but they're typically high 20s.

The best comparison to Carr would be Vinny before he got here in 1998. But Carr statistically was a better player

5 minutes ago, Vader said:

They aren't a good team. With a QB contract like that, you need to be competing at a higher level. The David Carr benching has nothing to do with him as a player, it has everything to do with the contract and - money. The 3 INTs game was just a pretext. He had 11 Ints and 24 TDs going into that game 

Teams don't get rid of top QB for the 9th highest salary at that position.  My guess is they think he's mediocre and they'll never be a threat with him as the QB. 

I agree.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

For the people who are against Carr. What is your solution for QB? SOme around here think Streveler should be playing for ****s sake. 

Carr makes a lot of sense. McDaniels is a clown who got Brady coffee for years. Throw this season out for evaluating Carr 

Carr would be like when we signed Vinny in 1998 but Carr actually is better

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Pac said:

Give me a break. 

because the coach is an all time idiot who has no idea what he is doing 

Derek Carr  would be great with the Jets, this team has Sanchez , Geno, Wilson,fitz and Darnold the last 10 years , Carr on his worst day is better then all of them 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Wit said:

Also probably a contract issue with guaranteed money etc.

I believe that if he's injured this year, the guarantee in his contract accelerates.  Otherwise, the Raiduhs have until mid February, per Carr's contract, until the remainder of his 2023 salary and his 2024 salary are guaranteed. They have an out, if I am not mistaken.