What are the top priorities this offseason (besides the obvious)?

Bronx

The 2023 offseason is around the corner. Besides QB, OL (LT, RG, depth) and a punter, what other dire needs does the team has to address?

My list:

Run stopper DT, MLB, WR and safety. 

Coaching staff: OL coach

Many believe that the following starters will be released/cut:

1. Carl Lawson

2. Mann

3. CJ Mosley

4. Tomlinson

5. Berrios 

I believe that JD will retain ZW for another year.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The 2023 offseason is around the corner. Besides QB, OL (LT, RG, depth) and a punter, what other dire needs does the team has to address?

Agree ^

My list:

Run stopper DT, MLB, (agree)

WR ( really not a huge need)

and safety. (Yes)

Coaching staff: OL coach(disagree he’s one of the best in the business) 

(we had a historic amount of Injuries)

)

1. Carl Lawson(yes)

2. Mann(Yes)

3. CJ Mosley(No) he is a leader on this team

4. Tomlinson(Keep…one of the few guys just stayed healthy, he will have a better year next year playing next to a AVT or somebody.)

5. Berrios (bring back on a cut contract, or yes, dump)

I believe that JD will retain ZW for another year.(depends who he brings in to compete.) (Zack has no worth anybody.)

1. Fire LaFleur, hire OC with experience developing a QB. Fire Calabrese and bring in a real QB coach. Seriously look at different system with man scheme on OL, more vertical (Saleh likely to be resistant to this, but LaFleur and Calabrese need to go)

2. Cut Berrios, Davis, Lawson

3. Sign Bryce Huff

4. Restructure Corey Davis and Moseley for cap pace

5. Transition tag Mike White

6. Sign Q if possible, tag if not

7. Try and trade Zach, no less than a second

8. Draft a QB in the draft even early if you really like someone. OK with even trading up if you really really like someone but make sure you learn your lesson from Zach, sit him a year and get an OC that will tailor offense to 2nd year QB

9. Try and sign a mid-tier vet QB someone like Minshew, Brissett and look into trade cost for Jordan Love. Maybe we can swap Zach for Jordan

10. Avoid Carr, Brady, Tannehill and all of the bigger named QBs

11. Especially avoid Lamar. Would kill this franchise. I actually do not expect Baltimore to give him a big contract after the recent results

12. Look to mid-tier FA for help on the defense with specific emphasis on LB and Safety, followed by EDGE and DL

13. Devote the majority of the draft if not all to offense and at a minimum come away with OT, QB and WR (big body)

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

We currently don’t have a  starting C, FS, OLB or depth at DT signed for next year.  

McGovern/ Quincy/ Alexander/ Thomas/ Sheppard/Rankins/Joyner all FAs. Huff a RFA.  

not a ton of draft capital or money either. Not sure if cutting quality players for cash ( Lawson, Davis) makes sense without replacements on the roster. 

• Upvote 2

Draft Paris Johnson in first

Trade for Mike Evans for a 2nd.

Resign MFW

Sign Gardner Minshew

Lotto pick developmental QB in 3rd or 4th round (or use that to trade for Matt Corral if/when Panthers take a QB in the first).

Remaining draft capital on defense, consider packaging to trade up for a MLB if one is sitting there we like.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bronx said:

Punter is a yearly-recurring dire need.

"Dire need" - lol.   Let's not get carried away.

OL is a yearly-recurring dire need.   

P is a position that we could've easily solved if we had kept Morstead (who we picked up off the FA heap).  Heck, I'd even look  into Ammendola (since I think he was a better P than K).

5 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Really? The shanks put the defense against the wall on several occasions this year. Joe D hasn't found a steady punter in his tenure and lack thereof has been deterrent.

It is a dire need.

We need an upgrade but we found Morstead on the scrap heap.  This should not be that difficult of a position to fill.

Most of our needs should be addressed via the draft.  No reason why, in the first 3 rounds, you can't walk away with a stud LT, your new starting C, and a solid LB who can play right away.  

After that you're probably looking FA market to fill the RG and FS spot.  Maybe Mosley's spot as well if he's cut(Lavonte David would be orgasmic).  

Either way, there really shouldn't be any excuses next year as far as "weak areas" or lack of depth.  This should be a team ready to take that next step towards contender status, regardless of who the QB is.  

My list:
1. Carl Lawson
2. Mann
3. CJ Mosley
4. Tomlinson
5. Berrios 
If the Jets release all of these vets , they will likely have a much worse record next year.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Really? The shanks put the defense against the wall on several occasions this year. Joe D hasn't found a steady punter in his tenure and lack thereof has been deterrent.
It is a dire need.

This is 100% true ... Sign the alleged rapist before he's proven innocent .. or is it too late .

Punter IS a dire need.

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If the Jets release all of these vets , they will likely have a much worse record next year.

White is not the long-term answer. JD took one step forward and two steps back in the QB department. Otherwise, we would have reached Bengals' potential.

OL. That has to be the focus of our assets. 

LT: draft pick or trade target.  Use the first round pick in both situations. 

LG: laken

Center: FA or draft pick here

RG: AVT

RT: mitchell/Becton camp battle, loser is backup 

Bring back herbig as backup  guard. Bring back ogbuehi as swing tackle if brown retires, find a mauler center/guard in later round of draft.   I think we looking at 2 guys coming from the draft and 1 new guy either a trade or FA. Obviously fant and McGovern are gone.

OL. That has to be the focus of our assets. 

LT: draft pick or trade target.  Use the first round pick in both situations. 
LG: laken
Center: FA or draft pick here
RG: AVT
RT: mitchell/Becton camp battle, loser is backup 
Bring back herbig as backup  guard. Bring back ogbuehi as swing tackle if brown retires, find a mauler center/guard in later round of draft.   I think we looking at 2 guys coming from the draft and 1 new guy either a trade or FA. Obviously fant and McGovern are gone.
I totally agree .. I would be fine sacrificing the entire 2023 season to fabricate a DOMINANT offensive line.

12 hours ago, Larz said:

The obvious.  Nothing else matters. Building a great defense and a running game with a meh QB never gets you the division title and a home playoff game. 

Remember the oilers of the 70s and early 80s? They had Earl Campbell and a really good defense but never went further in the playoffs because pastoring was pretty bad.  On the other hand the 70s doltfins had a great running game and excellent defense and went to three super bowls with bob griese. Of course griese became a hof QBs but he was more of a game manager.  I guess the point is a good run game covers up a lot of QBs flaws. There are other meh QBs that have been to the show and won.

13 hours ago, Bronx said:

My list:

1. Carl Lawson

2. Mann

3. CJ Mosley

4. Tomlinson

5. Berrios 

I agree with most of this, but I do not believe the O line coach has done a bad job. In fact, he's done a very good job considering the injuries and the need to play the 4th and below Tackles and Guards on the depth chart. 

People are gun shy about drafting a QB in the first round because of the ZW disaster, but I'm not so sure JD isn't gun shy about taking an OL in the first round because of Becton. If he whiffs on that pick again and its for an OL or QB that would be strike 3. If the BAP is a linebacker, that's a need. The top 3 ranked are all from the SEC:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/LB/1/2023

Besides QB and OL, I would say WR. I expect Corey Davis to be cut. GW is our number 1. Berrios and Mims are good backups. Elijah Moore is a solid number 3 option. We need a number 2 option.

The interior DL needs help.

LB/S could use an upgrade but I still don’t think we are ready to use premium resources on those positions.  Our D has been really good. Keep focusing on Edge/iDL.

Be thoughtful about quarterback long term and short term. This includes a review of why Wilson went this way. Douglas needs to look at his scouting, they need to look at the offensive coaching staff.

If a quarterback isn’t drafted this year they should try to get some 2024 capital and build around White like Philly did with Hurts. If one is drafted they need a plan. Cater the system to him not vice versa, sit him a little, etc. This is where the coaching staff review is key.

Need to retool the offensive line including a pipeline of young depth. Two starters are free agents, they spend on veteran depth and don’t have in house replacements for free agents. It’s not what I expected when Douglas came in and been very disappointing.

Offense needs more playmakers. Wilson and Hall were a great start. I don’t really care what position but guys who stress defenses. I don’t think it’s a coincidence the team was 5-2 with Hall and 2-6 after his injury, and he was a part time player when healthy.

Tread water as best as possible on defense. Huff is a big piece to bring back there.

Also extend Q. Important to reward in house production. Maybe it helps negotiations with his brother and vice versa. But I think the message to the locker room is key. Produce and it’ll be rewarded.

Need to replace Mann.

• Upvote 1