RIP Pele

peekskill68

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Back in the day, he and Ali were definitely the two biggest sports stars in the world.  Anyone remember the Cosmos and the old NASL?  Not sure soccer takes off here in America to the level it has without him...

RIP

#Legend

Untitled.jpg

Yes. They played at Randalls island.  I was about 10.   RIP, arguably #1 soccer player ever.  Fútbol para mis amigos latinos. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

One of the first fights I got into was when I called him "Pay Lay" and this kid goes "Its Peh Leh, a$$hole!". Thanks for the memories, ya instigator. Also, I really enjoyed that soccer movie you made. It play one Sunday afternoon on PIX or something. Good times.

Victory.  Actually a great movie with a fantastic cast.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

It’s Messi. But Pele is on Mount Rushmore. RIP. 

Messi , Maradona and Reinaldo can battle #2. Even in Argentina, Maradona is still considered #1 and Messi, in their eyes, equaled him. 

On my iPhone, couldnt find a list where Messi ranks ahead of Pele.  Im sure a few rogue reporters are out there. ?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, pointman said:

One of the first fights I got into was when I called him "Pay Lay" and this kid goes "Its Peh Leh, a$$hole!". Thanks for the memories, ya instigator. Also, I really enjoyed that soccer movie you made. It play one Sunday afternoon on PIX or something. Good times.

"Victory" with Michael Caine and Sylvester Stallone

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Back in the day, he and Ali were definitely the two biggest sports stars in the world.  Anyone remember the Cosmos and the old NASL?  Not sure soccer takes off here in America to the level it has without him...

RIP

#Legend

Untitled.jpg

sure do. great player even better human

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Messi , Maradona and Reinaldo can battle #2. Even in Argentina, Maradona is still considered #1 and Messi, in their eyes, equaled him. 

On my iPhone, couldnt find a list where Messi ranks ahead of Pele.  Im sure a few rogue reporters are out there. ?

Agree, I was a huge Pele fan growing up. He was just a special talent and very influential. I have family members from Argentina and there is always that comparison in conversations. 

• Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

No.pele was the goat by a mile. You dont watch or know anything about soccer... youre just yukking it up and being disrespectful. Rip

Saw him play when I was a  kid amillion times at giants stadium. Him, Franz Beckenbauer, bogicovic, great memories. Cosmos were stacked

And that wasn't even really Pele because of his age.

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

No.pele was the goat by a mile. You dont watch or know anything about soccer... youre just yukking it up and being disrespectful. Rip

Saw him play when I was a  kid amillion times at giants stadium. Him, Franz Beckenbauer, bogicovic, great memories. Cosmos were stacked

I’m absolutely not a soccer fan at all. But Pele was and is literally the only reason I know the game exist. I have no idea who that Messy guy even is. Pele, Ali, Bruce Lee and Evil Kneivel. Haha. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Yea its still Pele.  At their peaks, Messi is probably an ever so slightly better player than he is, simply b/c the sport has evolved over 50 years, but Pele’s accomplishments dwarf any other player in history by a hilarious amount.  He was that much better than anyone else in his generation.

Messi is definitely the second best player ever (he is both greater and better than Maradona and he inches out other pretenders like Ronaldo/Zidane etc).

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Soccer has taken off in America? Since when?

Pretty classless…

I think baseball is so boring, I would rather scrub burnt pans for an hour than watch one inning. 

I still won’t make a snide remark about the game on the day Willie Mays passes, which will probably be fairly soon…

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Pretty classless…

I think baseball is so boring, I would rather scrub burnt pans for an hour than watch one inning. 

I still won’t make a snide remark about the game on the day Willie Mays passes, which will probably be fairly soon…

What are you blabbering about? Not one comment was made about the player or his passing. The question was about an entire sport.

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

More people here watched the World Cup than March Madness...

A world wide event that happens only twice a decade was viewed by 25 million Americans. Which is around HALF the amount of viewers there are for a regular season game that happens twice every year between the Giants and Cowboys (42 million on Thanksgiving).

Soccer is nothing in the USA.