Our next drafted QB

EM31

In 2022 as a fifth year senior Clifford saw action in 12 games as he threw for an excellent 2543 yards on 330 attempts with a completion percent of 63.6 for an average of 7.7 yards per pass, with an excellent 22 TDs, while taking 15 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 100.6. He added 52 runs for a total of 255 yards at an average of 4.9 per run.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • He’s a pure athlete, loose-limbed and flexible. Clifford has the speed to pick up yardage in scramble situations.
  • Physically, Clifford is a natural athlete who plays with the balance and light feet to float in the pocket.
  • He’s good enough as a runner to work read-option plays, keeping back-side defenders in place.
  • He plays with a confident demeanor and has the athleticism to move out of the pocket and create plays out of structure.
  • From a physical standpoint, a prototypical modern quarterback.
  • Clifford must be accounted for when used in the read-option game.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • Clifford gets sloppy with his mechanics on the move, losing accuracy as Clifford relies too much on his arm.
  • Too often fails to give receivers a chance to make a play after the catch. High completion percentage padded by many quick screens.
  • Clifford has a bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot when the pocket gets muddled, and he is too often all arm when throwing on the move, sacrificing accuracy.

A guy who might end up being available is CJ Stroud who fits your criteria. Guy has a lot of red flags that I think will cause him to drop.

He’s not great under pressure, he’s not mobile, he’s not good out of structure. 

What he does well is distribute the ball to playmakers in structure. Should be a good fit for the Shannahan system. 

The jets could easily be mired in that 10-15 draft pick category for the next couple of seasons, meaning a drafted QBs may not be there.  Of course there could be a bumper crop of QBs coming out like in 83 or even in darnolds year. And the few drafts have yielded some good prospects.  So the jets may be faced with getting a 5th year retread (maybe Danny dimes) or a guy who just couldn’t push out the starter (like minshew) or a guy who has been upgraded or a cap casualty (Carr).  If white pulls out the next two games he won’t be coming cheap.  They could opt for a mid draft prospect and then sign a top free agent to play while the prospect sits and learns.

in any case they need a QB the team believes in.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JonMcgraw38 said:

He’s got a stronger arm and is much more athletic. He’s not a great scrambler but is pretty fast and can move around a little bit unlike White (think Geno Smith athleticism). 

This you, or are you just a fan?

Screenshot_20221230_104939_Chrome.jpg

55 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Must: Be NFL-sized (yes this includes hand size because that is not just important to the MILFs and Tomshane).  Look he needs to be able to see over NFL defensive linemen and he needs to be big enough to take a hit every now and then.. He needs to play in December and January in the North east.

Must: Not have questions about durability coming in

Must: Have played enough games against enough good defenses to have at least some idea what running an NFL offense might be like

Must: Be ready to sit for a year at the next level

Must: Be provided with adequate coaching

Strongly preferred: Has a record of accuracy

Must: Be provided with at least adequate protection.  Hopefully better than that but at least adequate.

Nice to Have: A big arm

We should be drafting one of these guys every single year if we need to until we end up hitting on one.

Tanner McKeee.  

https://theathletic.com/3530149/2022/09/03/tanner-mckee-2023-nfl-draft-scouting/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tanner-mckee-qb-stanford-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/tanner-mckee-4aaa60a3-9f50-488b-b12f-b5dc3b2da216/

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-top-25-pac-12-2023-nfl-draft-prospects-stanford-tanner-mckee

• Upvote 2

The last part about Clifford sounds too much like Zack, so no thank you. Drafting a future FQB should be like buying and older home that needs work. One needs to see what they can become when the coaches and player put in the work.
Which is why we need a veteran QB for at least two years to allow the pick to develop slowly. Could be third string first year and second string in year 2 depending on how he progresses. I think the most important thing is to not make the same mistakes we have in the past and try an rush there development.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Must: Be NFL-sized (yes this includes hand size because that is not just important to the MILFs and Tomshane).  Look he needs to be able to see over NFL defensive linemen and he needs to be big enough to take a hit every now and then.. He needs to play in December and January in the North east.

Must: Have played enough games against enough good defenses to have at least some idea what running an NFL offense might be like

Must: Be provided with at least adequate protection.  Hopefully better than that but at least adequate.

We should be drafting one of these guys every single year if we need to until we end up hitting on one.

Demonstrated ability (on game film) to:

1) make short throws consistently - i.e. checkdowns/screen passes/bubble screens/swing passes

2) make intermediate throws - i.e. crossing patters/outs/hooks/hitting the TE on a post between the LB and S to beat a Tampa 2 zone

3) make timing and anticipation throws - i.e. quick slants, back shoulder, red zone corner route

5) take in the ear in order to deliver a pass when necessary

I'd also like to see his 10 worst plays so we have a good idea where the bottom is.

1 hour ago, Coquito said:
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Clifford saw action in 12 games as he threw for an excellent 2543 yards on 330 attempts with a completion percent of 63.6 for an average of 7.7 yards per pass, with an excellent 22 TDs, while taking 15 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 100.6. He added 52 runs for a total of 255 yards at an average of 4.9 per run.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • He’s a pure athlete, loose-limbed and flexible. Clifford has the speed to pick up yardage in scramble situations.
  • Physically, Clifford is a natural athlete who plays with the balance and light feet to float in the pocket.
  • He’s good enough as a runner to work read-option plays, keeping back-side defenders in place.
  • He plays with a confident demeanor and has the athleticism to move out of the pocket and create plays out of structure.
  • From a physical standpoint, a prototypical modern quarterback.
  • Clifford must be accounted for when used in the read-option game.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • Clifford gets sloppy with his mechanics on the move, losing accuracy as Clifford relies too much on his arm.
  • Too often fails to give receivers a chance to make a play after the catch. High completion percentage padded by many quick screens.
  • Clifford has a bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot when the pocket gets muddled, and he is too often all arm when throwing on the move, sacrificing accuracy.

No thanks.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I know a lot of people don't want to draft a quarterback again, but I think the Jets got to draft one. You draft a quarterback every year until you have your franchise quarterback. Where have I heard that from? 

Note: I'm not saying Mike White isn't the guy. He's still got to prove it.

High Five Way To Go GIF by SmileDirectClub

• Upvote 1

I hope the Jets never draft another QB again...at least not in the early round(s).  There are some teams who cannot draft certain positions and the QB position for the Jets has been elusive.  History shows we have drafted QB's from multiple conferences and we come up empty.  You'll also see in the history of the Jets drafts where we've passed on HOF and future HOF QB's.  And this is from different GM's and scouting teams through the years...STAY AWAY FROM DRAFTING QUARTERBACKS!

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I have no interest in another rookie QB, certainly not another first rounder. Not yet. Bring in a vet to run this team, use those picks to improve the rest of the roster. 

I think finding someone they like and can build around while accumulating future capital ie what the Eagles did with Hurts this past year is a really nice middle ground.

Still think the teams that have done best with QB acquisition have dropped guys into a good situation and then continued to improve it. Doesn’t always work, but dropping a guy into a bad situation doesn’t work unless the guy is first overall special on a good year.

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I have no interest in another rookie QB, certainly not another first rounder. Not yet. Bring in a vet to run this team, use those picks to improve the rest of the roster. 

How about both ??? Bring in a vet and draft Tanner McKee late 1st early 2nd ? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Love it!

I would change accuracy from strongly preferred to required.

Add quick processing to the requirements.

Incorporate psychological profile:  leadership, accountability, confidence, resilience, tough skin, low risk of YIPs..

40 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

This is my pick for a good fit for LaFlunks system ...

Tanner McKee

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tanner-McKee-QB-Stanford

Or

Michael Penix .. who can drive the ball down field

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Michael-PenixJr-QB-Indiana

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I cannot CANNOT believe what I am reading right now: MIKE PENIX

he was a former student of mine. SOOOOOO WEIRD TO have just read that. 

I remember lo.ing when he turned up on my roster because immature me Immature me immediately thought it sounded like Mike penis

• Upvote 1

We are not going to have a sniff of a Trevor Lawrence type draft position for a very long time with the roster as it is now.  In terms of the QB of the future search this may be a good thing.  The pressure to start a top-5 pick right away is immense and New York is a harder place than most to resist those kinds of calls.

Pick our guy anywhere outside of the top-15 or in later rounds, wherever the best value presents itself.  This way sitting the rook will not be an issue.

Having a high football IQ can offset a lot of other flaws.  Not having one is almost always fatal.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

We drafted this type in 2018. His name was Sam Darnold. Bad news is we traded him away for a junior high QB with a silver spoon up his azz. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd bring in Marcus Mariota to compete with MW. Mariota could win some games with this wr core given we improve the offensive line. He's also pretty mobile. Draft Hooker in round 2 to sit for a year and learn. My personal preference.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1