Streveler 23' experiment (beta or trash)

Bronx

Streveler is a tough guy with a huge fighting-heart. He runs people over and has a nick for the ball. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a great arm. I will hate losing him as a locker room leader and energizer. 

Could he be brought back as a TE#3/4 or FB? I think that he is worth keeping as a hybrid situational player without sacrificing a QB slot.

The QB convertion to TE didn't work for Tebow, but it could be worth the shot with big-hearted Strev.

Beta or trash it?

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is the type of crap you resort to when your offense sucks. I'd prefer not to plan on having this as a normal package but see why it was being used at this juncture of the 2022 Jets season.

Do you see him worth keeping?

6 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Do you see him worth keeping?

Yeah.  In his current roll.  He doesn’t need to take up practice reps but can run the high school offense to get you through a game in a pinch.  

I’d keep him 1 or 2 more seasons unless a young kid with a strong arm and able to move was available for some reason.  

Wilson is gone next season.  Carr White and either a late pick or Strevler would be a QB room.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

Some eagle-eyed Twitter dude noticed Streveler was practicing in a white jersey (as opposed to the red QB jersey). It’d be awesome if LaFleur employed him in some short-yardage wildcat role. We suck on goal line and short yardage. Streveler could fix that.

And MLF can only use trick plays to get it done so it all adds up! 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is the type of crap you resort to when your offense sucks. I'd prefer not to plan on having this as a normal package but see why it was being used at this juncture of the 2022 Jets season.

You shut your mouth. 20220828_164537.thumb.png.a68c3713728abfe2a6343f55384419c5.png

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Some eagle-eyed Twitter dude noticed Streveler was practicing in a white jersey (as opposed to the red QB jersey). It’d be awesome if LaFleur employed him in some short-yardage wildcat role. We suck on goal line and short yardage. Streveler could fix that.

Agreed. Michaels and Herbie made a great point the other night about Joshua Dobbs that made me think of how it relates to Mike White. They pointed out how Dobbs, while not having a bunch of game experience, has had 4-5 years in the league for various teams, mostly getting reps on their practice squads. That adds up, and when he got his chance the other night, he was way more ready than a rookie would have been. He played very well and did not look out of place. White has had a similar path, and when he got a shot, he looked way more comfortable than you would think. Many think the practice squad may be a waste, but at least for these two QB's, it has paid off.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Jets vs Vikings is a classic example of where Streveler could have made the difference between a W & L.

White completed 31 of 57 passes for 369 yards and two interceptions in the loss, while rookie wideout Garrett Wilson had a career day with eight catches for 162 yards. Another Jets rookie, running back Zonovan Knight, showed out as well, rushing for 90 yards on 15 carries. Despite the Jets racking up 486 yards of total offense, they scored just 23 points. That's because they went 1-for-6 in the red zone, where the Vikings played their best defense. New York racked up 199 more yards than the Vikings, ran 17 more plays and won the time of possession battle. They just weren't able to convert offensively where it mattered. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Eh, good and bad offenses have used unconventional packages like this to varying degrees of success. It’s not so binary.

• Upvote 3

As a QB?  No. I'd rather have three actual QB prospects.  No Flaccos.  No Strevs.  

As a Slash type who could contribute in a few wildcat type roles?  Perhaps.

As bad as our running game is at current, at least for now, we can use all the help we can get.

In the future, maybe not so much.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Eh, good and bad offenses have used unconventional packages like this to varying degrees of success. It’s not so binary.

If you're going to do something like this I'd rather see it done with a guy who has homerun hitting ability with his arm and/or legs. Doing it with Streveler is just - meh. Teams aren't going to be scared of being beat over the top, they'll sell out on the run and probably mostly bottle it up.

He's gotta play special teams too.

• Upvote 2

The problem is that the #3 TE is and should be Ruckert. If they carry a FB, they should get a REAL FB. If they don't carry a FB (like this year), there's a number of depth positions (other than QB) that can take that open spot (O-line, D-line, CB, WR, whatever). 

At QB, the Jets will add a veteran FA starter, Zach will be the backup (unless they somehow get a great trade offer), Strev will be the third stringer (unless the Jets draft a developmental QB- which is a possibility). If the Jets draft a developmental QB, Stev will once again be on PS. If not, and he is the 3rd stringer, he SHOULD get some opportunities in run option packages. 

53 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Sean Payton used Hill to compliment his 5,000 yard a year QB in certain situations 

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agreed. Michaels and Herbie made a great point the other night about Joshua Dobbs that made me think of how it relates to Mike White. They pointed out how Dobbs, while not having a bunch of game experience, has had 4-5 years in the league for various teams, mostly getting reps on their practice squads. That adds up, and when he got his chance the other night, he was way more ready than a rookie would have been. He played very well and did not look out of place. White has had a similar path, and when he got a shot, he looked way more comfortable than you would think. Many think the practice squad may be a waste, but at least for these two QB's, it has paid off.

It’s a good way to go when you take a flyer on a kid in the mid rounds, but the way contracts are set up now for 1st round type guys, it’s not very practical.

You’re basically paying their entire first contract to develop them, and then have to pay them again to see how much they learned.

19 minutes ago, Coquito said:

Jets vs Vikings is a classic example of where Streveler could have made the difference between a W & L.

White completed 31 of 57 passes for 369 yards and two interceptions in the loss, while rookie wideout Garrett Wilson had a career day with eight catches for 162 yards. Another Jets rookie, running back Zonovan Knight, showed out as well, rushing for 90 yards on 15 carries. Despite the Jets racking up 486 yards of total offense, they scored just 23 points. That's because they went 1-for-6 in the red zone, where the Vikings played their best defense. New York racked up 199 more yards than the Vikings, ran 17 more plays and won the time of possession battle. They just weren't able to convert offensively where it mattered. 

Or not/. Pure conjecture based on MMQB analysis.  

30 minutes ago, section314 said:

Funny, I said this when Mike White first showed he belonged and was told how dumb a take this was, Zach had more game experience.   

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, section314 said:

White always talks fondly about his year+ in the Cowboys system with Dak and Cooper Rush—all mid/late round picks at QB—with Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore running the offense. We can knock the Cowboys all we want, but they seem to know what to do to get less-gifted QBs (such as Dak and, before that, Romo) ready to produce. Compare that with other orgs who treat their QB position like a beauty contest, wherein the starter is the only thing that matters, and the backups are just cannon fodder. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I won't mortgage my house on it.

All the clues look like he’s gone. 

The 2 unofficial PR announcement guys for the NFL say the Jets are moving on. That’s huge. Woodie’s  “don’t blame me I don’t want him” leak.  

The way Zach was benched the first and second time.  Fans will boo him off the field if they try to play him again.  It’s over.  

If Zach will keep his mouth shut and be a good soldier the safest career move for JD and RS is to stash him and forget him.  Zach doing well at his next stop would be an instant death blow to MLF if he wasn’t stellar next season.  Zach would he heavily incentivized to shoot his way out of town though, so the stash is not a viable option.

The last question is, will another NFL team trade for Zach? 

Per the BYU board the other day - The Jets told Zach’s agent teams are calling about an off-season trade:

Here’s the truth, Zach’s agent was told over the weekend that 10 different NFL teams have reached out to the Jets to let them know they have interest if the Jets are willing to trade Zach after the season. And yet we have idiots here saying he has no value. It’s pretty remarkable people think they know so much when they actually don’t. 

I’m not willing to lose my anonymity on this board, but there are also a few that know how I would know this.

If nobody knew who that BYU board poster was, the board there would probably kill him for making that post. 

He gone. JD will maximize the return, but he’s got to move him to get rid of the circus even if it’s for peanuts.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

All the clues look like he’s gone. 

The 2 unofficial PR announcement guys for the NFL say the Jets are moving on. That’s huge. Woodie’s  “don’t blame me I don’t want him” leak.  

The way Zach was benched the first and second time.  Fans will boo him off the field if they try to play him again.  It’s over.  

If Zach will keep his mouth shut and be a good soldier the safest career move for JD and RS is to stash him and forget him.  Zach doing well at his next stop would be an instant death blow to MLF if he wasn’t stellar next season.  Zach would he heavily incentivized to shoot his way out of town though, so the stash is not a viable option.

The last question is, will another NFL team trade for Zach? 

Per the BYU board the other day - The Jets told Zach’s agent teams are calling about an off-season trade:

Here’s the truth, Zach’s agent was told over the weekend that 10 different NFL teams have reached out to the Jets to let them know they have interest if the Jets are willing to trade Zach after the season. And yet we have idiots here saying he has no value. It’s pretty remarkable people think they know so much when they actually don’t. 

I’m not willing to lose my anonymity on this board, but there are also a few that know how I would know this.

If nobody knew who that BYU board poster was, the board there would probably kill him for making that post. 

He gone. JD will maximize the return, but he’s got to move him to get rid of the circus even if it’s for peanuts.  

Meh. Don’t know why teams would do that this time of year when there are a lot of variables between now and when they can do anything about it. they can wait until June 1 to get him without sending picks. 
After free agency and the draft , there might be an injury and a team kicks his tires.