Whatever happens........

English Jet

53 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If we lose out, then no. It would 100% be an epic collapse going from a winnable Pats matchup to take control of the division, to basically losing out and having zero QBs on the roster.

THIS.

Why Saleh kept Zach in the NE game and not benching him is at least 1 loss.  Saleh has shown he is NOT a top 15 HC.  

But agreed, if we don't make playoffs, this season is an example of NO QB, average at best coaching, below average special teams, below average offensive line carried by a very good Defense and good rookie play. But no QB?  Where we going?

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

This team did not over achieve this year. The downgrade was always our qb situation. The Zach pick was a major blunder by JD. Most felt picking Fields was a safe bet. This game alone (Seattle) will have major ramifications in 2023. Going to be an interesting offseason.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

I mean yeah if you make your opinion on this season based on where we were at that NE game then sure, it's an epic disappointment.  If you look at it on the whole though, it's a success.  We found our #1 WR, our #1 RB, our elite franchise CB and Quinnen took that next step towards DPOY territory.  There are still holes to be filled, but aside from Zach every young player on this team took strides in the right direction.  Some took a solid step or two, and some took superhuman leaps.  

The holes are major.  QB(potentially), OL are head and shoulders above the rest.  Then you have spots like LB, FS, pass rush, TE.  Most of the latter could be filled from within or with lower-level moves IMO.  The first two will require heavy investments though.  We're talking a big contract to a guy like Carr for QB, and early draft picks for the OL.  Everything is solvable though, IMO.  

One thing I really want to see happen though is for this team to cut Mosley and bring in Lavonte David.  IMO he's the type of guy who can lead this defense, and lead by example on the field.  Despite the Pro Bowl selection, it's clear Mosley isn't the same player he once was.  We have an out this offseason to move on from this guy and clear out $17M in the process.  I think we need to take it.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Bi Polar around here. If you look at all the threads before the season started, everyone would have signed up for the progress that has been made this season. 

huh to be sub 500 and learn Zach is an epic bust? actually its worst case scenario

The "im ok with a losing record" argument this year was if Zach was making strides in a year 2 step and we were losing by slim margins in shootouts.

People have some revisionist history here.

• Upvote 2

It's a little bit of success and a little bit of failure.   Looks like we blew the QB draft which is a huge set back for the program.  Looks like we have some real A plus talent on D and maybe O if AVT and Hall make it all the way back. 

I thought this was a 7 win team and it looks like we may win 7 or 8? Win 9 and make the playoffs huge success.  Don't like the collapse down the stretch but a lot of that can be contributed to young guys hitting a wall and the lose of AVT and Hall which were devastating.  

Saleh seems better to me this year.  More like a HC and developing.  I thought he was a total fraud last year.  Now I think he just needs more time.

JD has to fix the QB spot.  Big issue but I have no reason to think someone else Woody would hire would do a better job.  

Interesting off season coming up and if we actually sneak into the playoffs it's a great season.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Bingo. I never seen a fan base of any team of any sport set their expectations so consistently low And be totally ok with failure as the jets fan base 

We hold the current record for playoff drought...  that might have something to do with it.

Oh, 8 HC's since, 2000, no true QB since 2000, that stuff might add to it no?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

THIS.

Why Saleh kept Zach in the NE game and not benching him is at least 1 loss.  Saleh has shown he is NOT a top HC.  

But agreed, if we don't make playoffs, this season is an example of NO QB, average at best coaching, below average special teams, below average offensive line carried by a very good Defense and good rookie play. But no QB?  Where we going?

I agree Saleh should have benched Zach in the second NEP game. It’s a great point esp now they’re saying Zach is weak at the fundamentals. If they thought so why play him. White has been better than expected he is not NO Qb he’s been good. It’s a positive for this season his ability to lead and run offense. As for Oline they have addressed it in draft and free agency maybe not enough but a lot of injuries at that position including starters. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Um no. Some of the biggest whining around here was we want to have meaningful games in December. Check. Another one was that we wanted to see the rookies play really well. Check. And actually, a big thing was we wanted to find out if Zack is the answer or not. Well that's been answered. Most people were projecting between 7 and 9 wins. Check. Most people wanted to see a better team overall than last season. Check. You're the one with the revisionist history.

Great so the Jets get a satisfactory C+ grading then.   No over achieving.

11 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We hold the current record for playoff drought...  that might have something to do with it.

Oh, 8 HC's since, 2000, no true QB since 2000, that stuff might add to it no?

Meh --- what's 23 years ?? We are going to live forever ..right ?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Bi Polar around here. If you look at all the threads before the season started, everyone would have signed up for the progress that has been made this season. 

I would’ve signed up for 30 grand a year when I was in high school making $5 an hour.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

maybe not making the playoffs may show that the team has progressed (and in many cases it has) but starting december at 7-4 and then tanking the next 6 games shows regression.  granted zwilson hasn't played well and white was out for 3 games but if they think they are a playoff team they need to start closing the deal.  and i know that 7 wins would have been considered a good win total for this season but what happens each season the strength of the teams as they go through the schedule ebbs and flows.  who woulda thought the steelers would be so bad or the titans or the dolts or the raiders and so on.  i know many looked at the schedule and saw an easy detroit game and jax game.  how'd they work out?  and both the detroit and jax games are good examples of where a team smells some opportunity and play hard to achieve it.

maybe i'm too tough on this jets team but they lost 4 games (patsies twice, minny, second buffalo game) they shoulda won.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, billo83 said:

I mean it was probably more important that WIlson turned into a franchise QB than it was we win 7 games instead of 5....if the team ends the season on a 6 game losing streak and your 2nd pick QB is a bust I can see why people would be dissapointed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

I mean yeah if you make your opinion on this season based on where we were at that NE game then sure, it's an epic disappointment.  If you look at it on the whole though, it's a success.  We found our #1 WR, our #1 RB, our elite franchise CB and Quinnen took that next step towards DPOY territory.  There are still holes to be filled, but aside from Zach every young player on this team took strides in the right direction.  Some took a solid step or two, and some took superhuman leaps.  

The holes are major.  QB(potentially), OL are head and shoulders above the rest.  Then you have spots like LB, FS, pass rush, TE.  Most of the latter could be filled from within or with lower-level moves IMO.  The first two will require heavy investments though.  We're talking a big contract to a guy like Carr for QB, and early draft picks for the OL.  Everything is solvable though, IMO.  

One thing I really want to see happen though is for this team to cut Mosley and bring in Lavonte David.  IMO he's the type of guy who can lead this defense, and lead by example on the field.  Despite the Pro Bowl selection, it's clear Mosley isn't the same player he once was.  We have an out this offseason to move on from this guy and clear out $17M in the process.  I think we need to take it.

Also, we all have anted meaningful games towards the playoffs at the end of the season and we have got that. That has to be considered a step in the right direction.

At the start of the season the projection was for seven wins and Douglas said the goal was to play meaningful games in December. By those standards, the team met expectations this year. 

Is a sub or at .500 season really a "success" by any kind of definition? I wouldn't say so, especially when you factor in the progression of the season. There were some lucky wins helping the record followed by a complete collapse of the offense. The QB role is completely up in the air. The OC leaves a lot to be desired. The OL was pretty bad most of the year outside of AVT. Intermittent problems carried through more than half of the season with players openly yelling at coaches and asking for mid-season trades. 

If not for a few wins and Saleh's composure with the press, this entire year would have been another story about the Jets circus. This just goes to show how much winning defeats those narratives. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

NOPE. You can't be 6-3 at the BYE, enter December 7-4 and miss the playoffs in an expanded 7th seed NFL playoff system. ALOT depends on the next two weeks, if we lose to Seattle that be the 5th straight and 3rd straight to a sub 500 team.

Sure you can.

When you lose your two best players on offense, your offense regresses. The team is leaps and bounds better, but we're still lacking some depth. We're simply not good enough to recover from those injuries. We generally have solid performances on D, with a decent oline (anchored by AVT), and a fantastic run game (with Breece as RB1). When AVT and Breece went down, the season was over. It's that simple.

We were simply not good enough on the oline to overcome losing AVT (McG played well, Brown / Fant / Herbig / Mitchell have had good and bad games, and Tomlinson has been bad), And MC as Bam are not Breece. We become a unidimensional team, which makes it much easier for defenses to play us. And yet we've still competed with the likes of the Bills and Vikes. We've been in those games until the end.

And, before you reiterate the point, there are always injuries. But not all injuries are equal. If Tomlinson had been hurt instead of AVT, I think the line holds up well for most of the season. GWilson getting hurt is much worse than Corey Davis getting hurt (again). Sauce going down is much worse than Echols getting hurt. There can be a next man up mentality, we're just not there yet. I think we have a strong starting line up, but not enough behind just yet.

It actually tell me we are not nearly as good as we think we are and has me nervous for 23. 

Well, I was expecting a 5.5 win season. We are much better than that.

Our two offensive stars are coming back, and hopefully Zach is about 3 miles away from the football field (unless some offseason miracle occurs and he remembers how to throw).

No way I call this season a success if we lose the next 2. Not a chance

Make sure to tell JD next time you chat with him at Metlife.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

If the Jets win out, even if that means taking a 7 seed beating in KC or Buffalo, that's a huge success. 

If they drop either or both, still largely positive. Add back Hall and AVT, this is a good core of talent, even with the QB mess.

And think White may have a lot to say about the QB slot that next 2 weeks. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If we lose out, then no. It would 100% be an epic collapse going from a winnable Pats matchup to take control of the division, to basically losing out and having zero QBs on the roster.

Yeah, agree.  Devastating to the moment and culture they're building but I think they can recover.  This season was all about finding out what they had in Zach, and now they know.  So I think the confidence is that they're a QB away from true contenders, has to be something.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Dolphins have been doing this through 3 coaches now. I guess it's a step up from the bottom of the division though.