The QB Room Next Season

4 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I think after today, injury or not, the Mike White being a starter fantasy is dead. I wouldn't mind him  back as a back up on a cheap contract, but I think that's where it stops. 

Wilson looks like a complete bust, unclear if he will be brought back or dumped. I wouldn't cry over him being QB3 if MLF is fired and they think someone else can develop him. Wouldn't care if he gets dumped either.

Flacco is finished, Strev is a waste of a roster spot.

I think a vet will be brought in. Douglas and Saleh will be feeling the heat to win. The honeymoon is over.

Realistically I think the position could look something like

Carr/Jimmy G QB1

Mike White QB2

Zach Wilson QB3

Late round Developmental Pick QB4

What is everyone else's thoughts?

They aren't bringing White back unless there is no market for him and he is playing very cheap.

They will bring in a # 1 guy no questions asked. Zach will back him up.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I think after today, injury or not, the Mike White being a starter fantasy is dead. I wouldn't mind him  back as a back up on a cheap contract, but I think that's where it stops. 

Wilson looks like a complete bust, unclear if he will be brought back or dumped. I wouldn't cry over him being QB3 if MLF is fired and they think someone else can develop him. Wouldn't care if he gets dumped either.

Flacco is finished, Strev is a waste of a roster spot.

I think a vet will be brought in. Douglas and Saleh will be feeling the heat to win. The honeymoon is over.

Realistically I think the position could look something like

Carr/Jimmy G QB1

Mike White QB2

Zach Wilson QB3

Late round Developmental Pick QB4

What is everyone else's thoughts?

barfing-man-cartoon-vomits-stream-green-vomit-41194614.jpg

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Carr would be a huge mistake.  Like trading for a post-Buffalo Fitzpatrick. Or the Jets trading for Neil O'Donnell. lol.

9 year Vet, only 2 winning seasons, clearly on the downside of his career?  

His stats in his best year, perhaps.  Not now.

I expect Zach Wilson to be back as the #1 week 1 with no real competition. 

But I'm a dedicated cynic.

I think they should.

I don't think they will.

I'd bet Wilson.

Fair enough. I appreciate the healthy dose of cynicism.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

No. An expensive vet is not the way to go for this team as we will need to install a completely new system and the offense has a zillion holes.

Retain Zach, draft a QB try to get a mid-range guy for a year to hold the fort. Inquire about Jordan Love since Rodgers is not going anywhere. No To Carr. the always injured Jimmy G, Lamar (gag)

This is the only reasonable approach.

There's no magical FA QB out there that will fix what ails the Jets

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

Sign Brady and resign White to be the backup 

Just go post this on a Bucs or Pats board please.  WTF?  The best way to completely piss off and alienate all Jets fans would be to bring Brady - the player Jets fans hate more than any other in history.  Throw in that he is ancient and declining and this would be the most unpopular and worst decision in Jets history.  Just start a separate thread so we can all ignore this Brady BS.  I've been a Jets fan for 57 years, had season tickets for 40 years, and never ever miss a game and I will walk away if Brady is signed by the Jets.  

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

They aren't bringing White back unless there is no market for him and he is playing very cheap.

They will bring in a # 1 guy no questions asked. Zach will back him up.

I think we need to come to terms with a few real things: (1) Joe Douglas isn’t going to overpay for a QB just because; (2) it’s going to be hard to commit to a veteran long-term and vice versa; (3) a veteran QB is not going to solve the very glaring issues on our coaching staff. 

They are going to beg Jimmy Garoppolo to come here. He may not because he will have options. 

They are unlikely to be seriously in on Derek Carr and he’s unlikely to seriously consider the Jets. He too will have options for the first time of his career and will seek out stability (Tennessee is where I expect him to land). 

Daniel Jones most likely returning to the Giants. Tom Brady is not signing here. Lamar Jackson and Geno Smith most likely to be franchise tagged. Sam Darnold does not want to return here. 

Be prepared for Zach Wilson, Mike White, and Ryan Tannehill. The bigger question is who will be in charge with coaching this group.

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think we need to come to terms with a few real things: (1) Joe Douglas isn’t going to overpay for a QB just because; (2) it’s going to be hard to commit to a veteran long-term and vice versa; (3) a veteran QB is not going to solve the very glaring issues on our coaching staff. 

They are going to beg Jimmy Garoppolo to come here. He may not because he will have options. 

They are unlikely to be seriously in on Derek Carr and he’s unlikely to seriously consider the Jets. He too will have options for the first time of his career and will seek out stability (Tennessee is where I expect him to land). 

Daniel Jones most likely returning to the Giants. Tom Brady is not signing here. Lamar Jackson and Geno Smith most likely to be franchise tagged. Sam Darnold does not want to return here. 

Be prepared for Zach Wilson, Mike White, and Ryan Tannehill. The bigger question is who will be in charge with coaching this group.

So I assume they are not looking at the draft? 

Another telling quote from Saleh to the FOX broadcast team for those who were listening closely: 

“Zach will be here as long as I’m here”

I think fans need to start accepting that it’s not going to be wholesale changes in terms of the players in the room unless Woody forces Douglas and Saleh’s hand. They’ll try to bring back MW and also sign a veteran who they feel confident in being a capable game manager within their scheme at the very least, but grandiose expectations for someone special should be thrown out right now. The biggest acquisition at QB is not going to be a player- it’s going to be the staff changes and personnel they bring in to fix the ones they have.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, football guy said:

The wild card I imagine will always be woody forcing something I suppose. 12 years and playoffs. 

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

“Zach will be here as long as I’m here”

I think fans need to start accepting that it’s not going to be wholesale changes in terms of the players in the room unless Woody forces Douglas and Saleh’s hand. 

The fans don't have to accept anything. I actually hope Woody does make wholesale changes.

6 minutes ago, Grandy said:

So I assume they are not looking at the draft? 

I had been told it would likely be Zach, MW, and a rookie but that was long before this epic collapse. I would be shocked if they stuck to that. This administration no longer has the leash they once had. They’re going to need someone who everyone has enough confidence in to be a starter if Zach or Mike don’t improve to a point where they just run away with it.

Jimmy Garoppolo is too perfect a fit, but again, what makes people think that’s what Jimmy will want? He has options. Vegas, Houston, Atlanta, and New Orleans will all be options and some of those teams may be willing to commit to him more than the Jets will. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't disagree with most of this.

But there is no way the top three guys in any order are Mike White, Ryan T and Zach.

Daniel Jones will probably get a new deal from the Giants.

Baker, Carr, Darnold and Jimmy G will all have some level of interest. But the bottom line is Douglas and all the coaches are making millions of dollars. If they don't fix the QB position this offseason every one of them will be fired after next season.

That will motivate them to figure it out.  :)  I personally don't think Mike White is coming back. They will have Zach be the clear # 2 behind ..... (listen to the next episode of JetNation Radio to find out haha)

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I had been told it would likely be Zach, MW, and a rookie but that was long before this epic collapse. I would be shocked if they stuck to that. This administration no longer has the leash they once had. They’re going to need someone who everyone has enough confidence in to be a starter if Zach or Mike don’t improve to a point where they just run away with it.

Jimmy Garoppolo is too perfect a fit, but again, what makes people think that’s what Jimmy will want? He has options. Vegas, Houston, Atlanta, and New Orleans will all be options and some of those teams may be willing to commit to him more than the Jets will. 

Jimmy Zach and a rookie could definitely happen.

Jimmy is a good choice if they still have hope for Zach which I believe they do. He gets hurt, but would be the clear starter.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is an apocalyptic scenario. If it goes this way, Douglas and Saleh may as well quit today and save us all the trouble.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Going with Tannehill will just lead to being in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes !! They have to try and get carr or at least swing for the fences .. we pick #13 go get a new offensive staff and trade up to #2 for Stroud .. you aren’t winning in the afc with having no Qb and playing D

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

I agree with your selections but we are not keeping ZW to be QB3 we will try to move him whilst he has some value

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

What makes you think Zach has value when he's at best QB3 in our trash QB room?

6 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The wild card I imagine will always be woody forcing something I suppose. 12 years and playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The fans don't have to accept anything. I actually hope Woody does make wholesale changes.

The people who are calling for Woody to step in and blow it all up are the same fans who criticized Woody for his “quick-fix” tendencies and never properly overseeing a rebuild. The organization is a reflection of our fanbase: unstable.

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

JD isn't going to overpay for a QB?  How in the world could we possibly get Jimmy G otherwise?

3 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

Going with Tannehill will just lead to being in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes !! They have to try and get carr or at least swing for the fences .. we pick #13 go get a new offensive staff and trade up to #2 for Stroud .. you aren’t winning in the afc with having no Qb and playing D

What happens when you throw multiple 1st and 2nd round picks for Stroud and he's just as bad as Zach?

3 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

Sadly Tannehill prob goes 9-8 with this roster. Maybe 10-7 if the OL stays healthy. 

Carr is vastly better than Garapollo imo, vastly.  Jimmy G has been on stacked teams, he will be okay  to a limited extent but he gets hurt.

Carr will be motivated, cares a lot, and has something to prove.  He would be ,my #1 target but since if you want him you have to go hard after him very quickly i see the jets dawdling and missing out.

4 hours ago, pointman said:

White is trash. There is no reason to retain him. He is what he is and won't get better. 

Flacco retired years ago.

Zach is under his rookie deal that is fully guaranteed. No reason to dump him unless someone gives up a 1 for him and no one will.

Strevelator deserves a chance on the depth chart, but I am sure someone will steal him. 

We need 2 real QBs to be brought in.

Pretty much,..

And I think those QBs will be a top FA QB and a rookie.

I think this staff will do two things. 1 - make a real effort to go after the top FA QBs available this offseason so that we have a vet starter penciled in for 2023. 2- Do everything they can to develop Zach. 

Vet starter, Zach at QB 2, a rookie at QB 3. The Strev on PS.  

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

The people who are calling for Woody to step in and blow it all up are the same fans who criticized Woody for his “quick-fix” tendencies and never properly overseeing a rebuild. The organization is a reflection of our fanbase: unstable.

Since 2012 the Giants are on their 6th head coach in the last 10 years. During that same time frame the Jets are on their 4th head coach. If the Giants were owned by the Johnsons' you wouldn't have seen Joe Judge fired last off-season. The more "stable" franchise is the Jets, yet we're always on the outside looking in when the playoffs begin. There's isn't a more patient and loyal fanbase than Jets fans - they deserve better. 

I think we need to come to grips with the fact that there simply might not be a good answer at QB next year.  At least none that aren’t going to come with a massive, huge hit to our future.  Whether thats future salary cap space or bucket loads of draft picks or perhaps a player with a high risk of injury/availability concerns.

We are in a bad spot b/c of the ZW miss and the fact that we now have almost no leverage.  This is the fate of all qb needy teams with front offices on short contracts that depend on the success of their qb gamble.

Sadly JD might be pressured into overspending next season.  Mac did the same, and that last year hurt us for the next four.

I continue to think that young developing teams should focus on building through the draft.  That approach has given us the best team we’ve had in 7 years, and I like the direction we are headed.  But we likely will need to exhibit some patience, and I realize that a lot of people are already fed up..

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Carr is vastly better than Garapollo imo, vastly.  Jimmy G has been on stacked teams, he will be okay  to a limited extent but he gets hurt.

Carr will be motivated, cares a lot, and has something to prove.  He would be ,my #1 target but since if you want him you have to go hard after him very quickly i see the jets dawdling and missing out.

So many Raiders fans I have talked to have always hated Carr. That scares me.

I also hate that he has only thrown 30 TDs once. 

Now he is a clear upgrade here. I am aging myself a bit here but I wonder if he could be like Rich Gannon, have his best seasons after 32 years old. Granted Carr's body of work to this point doesn't compare to Gannon (Gannon was a scrub).

I want to say no to the Carr idea. But honestly I don't have a better idea. Unless they could pull off an Aaron Rodgers miracle and let him fight with the media here for two years. That would be fun.