That was quite possibly the most disappointing display I have ever seen.

hawk

You folks are crazy if you think this is an epic collapse.

This team was expected to win 5-6 games.  The best two players on offense got hurt - Pro Bowl level players.  Just as White was coming on, he injured his ribs and derailed the QB situation.  The OL is in tatters after losing Becton, Brown (came back, but is playing with a shoulder that needs surgery), Fant, AVT, Mitchell, and Herbig (that's injuries to 5 tackles).   The WR corps imploded with Moore's completely ill-timed tantrum that derailed his season and Davis missed multiple games. This team got to 7 wins on the back of a strong running game and these injuries took away the identity of the offense and put the onus on the passing game that was never ever carrying this team.  

The playoffs were a bonus this season. One more win in multiple close games - NE, NE, Minn, Buffalo, Detroit - and the Jets are playing for the playoffs next week. The 2009 Jets were a similar type of team and got the breaks down the stretch that this team did not.  

Does anyone really think this team was going to beat KC or Buffalo as the #7 seed on the road on Wild Card weekend?  Seriously?  A playoff berth by beating Miami next week would have been like 1991 redux - an 8-8 team squeaking in the last week with a win over Miami. Playoffs would have been nice, but I don't see this team as a playoff caliber team that could contend for a SB yet.  I'm not that upset. I'm more concerned for whether this team is actually on the upward trajectory or are the roster deficiencies - at QB and OL primarily- are too big to take the next step in 2023.

22 hours ago, JiFields said:

back to back games, just completely non-competitive.  This is the most embarrassing collapse I've ever seen from a professional team.

Not. Even. Close.

There were other seasons where the Jets were actually a very good mature team with a legitimate shot at making noise and just faltered. 1986, 1994,  1997, 2000, 2008, and 2011 were worse. So was 1978, 1984, and 1993. 

Unless you are 12 years old, this game is not even top 30 for disappointing losses.  Playoff losses are more painful, especially when victory was expected or should have happened

• 1969 AFL Championship loss to KC
  • 1982 AFC title game loss to Miami
  • 1986 playoff loss to Cleveland
  • 2010 AFC title game loss to Pittsburg
  • 2009 AFC title game loss to Indy
  • 1981 playoff loss to Buffalo
  • 1985 playoff loss to NE
  • 2004 playoff loss to Pittsburgh
  • 2002 playoff loss to Oakland
  • 2001 playoff loss to Oakland
  • 1998 AFC Championship game loss to Denver (this is not high on my list - the Jets were 12 point underdogs against a great Denver team on the road and were not expected to win. The 10-0 lead was a mirage built on a blocked punt.  The game was over midway through the 3rd quarter. Denver was just a better team.  In the other losses above, the Jets were arguably a better team than the team they lost to)

Then there were the regular season losses that were worse

• 2000 losses to Baltimore and Detroit in weeks 16 and 17
  • 2015 loss to Buffalo
  • 1997 loss to Detroit
  • 1972 loss to Miami ( the Jets came the closest to beating the undefeated Dolphins and were ahead late)
  • 1985 loss to Miami (cost the Jets the #1 seed)
  • 1982 loss to Miami (cost the Jets the home field advantage that would have avoided the Mud Bowl)
  • 1993 losses to NE and Houston in weeks 15/16
  • 1994 fake spike loss to Miami
  • The four losses in the last 5 games in 2008 were brutal, awful losses to inferior teams

There are more.

Then the injury games :

• Namath's injures knee vs Detroit in 1971 preseason
  • Testaverde achilles in 1999 vs NE

There are so many games that were worse than this.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1