Cutler Headed For A Fall?

RSJ

CUTLER HEADED FOR A FALL?

Over the past few months, we've offered up opinions from various league sources regarding a potential draft-day free fall for quarterbacks Matt Leinart and Vince Young.

We're now hearing that Jay Cutler could be the one who ends up sliding.

Of course, this is the season of misinformation in the NFL. Some teams will hype a guy in the hopes that a franchise selecting in front of them will draft him. Other teams will knock a guy in the hopes that he'll fall to them.

But as to the insights we've recently picked up regarding the assessment of the three quarterbacks projected to be taken in round one of the draft, we're persuaded that the source has no horse in the race -- making his observations far more credible.

The question of when Leinart, Young, and Cutler will be drafted depends in large part on the structure of the teams assessing the picks. "Teams that have a strong G.M. and personnel department draft based on production and value," said the source. "When a coach has more to do with the final say, then they seem to go more on workouts. Scouts spend about eleven months going over the players in their area, finding out about character, work habits, coachability, etc., only to get nudged out by a coach who has worked part time for two months on the same thing and then seems to have all the answers."

But what about the buzz surrounding Cutler?

"I have read over and over the last few months that Leinart and Young have dropped and Cutler has risen in scouts eyes," said the source. "What a joke. What has Cutler ever won? He never had a winning season at Vandy. He lost six games in a row this year. Looked very average at the Senior Bowl and very average at the combine, yet people seem to think he should be drafted in the top ten. Why? Because he has a strong arm?

"Let's see, Leinart and Young have won three national titles between them, have great stats, are very strong leaders, won a ton of games, have solid character and they aren't as good as Cutler who lost six games this year alone and never had a winning season? I thought that a real good quarterback was supposed to make his team better and lead them to wins."

So has Young overcome the hit that he took based on reports of a low Wonderlic score?

"All that sh-t about his test score is bogus," said the source. "He could not have done what he has done at Texas if he was real dumb.

"You mentioned that Young's stock rose after his workout last week. Well, a good scouting dept should have had him near the top of their board all along. All he has done is win. If a team is interested, they will bring him in, get him on board with their offensive staff, and find out how good his aptitude for football is. They will find out that he has a very strong passion for the game and is football smart."

Where, then, should Cutler land? "He doesn't deserve to go in the first round," said the source. "He is not anywhere as good as Patrick Ramsey was four years ago. He went at 31 and has been a bust."

Yikes.

Don't expect this debate to die down. After all, there are plenty of teams with coaches who have a lot of say in the draft process, giving Cutler's workout results greater weight in those cities. And when Leinart, who isn't a big T-shirt-and-shorts guy, has what likely will be received as an average workout on April 2, look for the opinions and projections to continue to conflict and jumble.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

No wonder he stayed anounamous. Some of the things he said were completely assinine.

Cutler didn't make Vandy better? Young and Lineart are automatically better based on their stats?

If that idiot was working in my front office, I would fire him. It was probably Herman Edwards.

i dont know what article u r reading but the guy made plenty of good points.

vanderbilt basically sucked. i dont know where the myth of cutler ever even began. the guy should be a second/third rounder

popeye had a big arm too you never saw him playing football though

If we trade up for Cutler I'm going to vomit. We need to stay put and draft the BPA. If that is Leinart then take him, Young put him in green, Mario becomes our new Abe minus the drinking problem and able to tackle a RB, Brick ink him in for the next ten years. But Cutler will be worse then us taking Ken O'brien over Marino.

So.... Cutler was supposed to bring Vandy to a bowl game by himself.... I've read that horse-sheit before. Without Culter, they might, I say MIGHT have won ONE game. How many Vandy players got invites to the senior bowl, the combine, even the stinkin East-West Shrine game?

ZERO.

If the Jets don't take him at 4, he might fall to the Raiders, but he's still a top ten pick. This guy loves Young, so he has to bash Cutler. Nuthin like stickin yer neck out.... oh, yeah, this guy remained unamed, didn't he?

Cutlers win % has bothered me all along. I'm not gonna bash him, but in my eyes a top notch QB should have made his team better and at least at some point produced a winning record along the way. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Winning percentage versus personal stats probably won't go over too good on a Jets message board stiller.:rolleyes:

Since 1960, Vanderbilt has only had 4 (68,74,75,82) winning seasons, none since 1982. This guy is smart to stay annonymous. I hope all the other GMs are this dumb though, cause I would love him to drop to us at #29. :yawn:

The bottom line about Cutler is that he has all the physical tools to be a big time qb in the nfl. The win/loss record was more the result of him playing on crappy team in a loaded conference.

Put Cutler on USC and I bet he'll put up the same win/loss percentage as Leinart. Give Cutler Reggie Bush, Lendale White, Duane Jarrett and Dominque Byrd.

I want to trade down but if the Jets end up with Young or Cutler at 4 I won't complain.

I dunno, TX. How do you feel about him? He certainly has the tools, something just doesn't seem right about him IMO.

I think Cutler is a huge risk, especially with the #4 pick.

Big Ben was a huge risk at #11 ( I think), but he was fortunate to walk into a perfect situation (not having to carry the team, playing for a well-developed team and managing the game and not making mistakes).

Unfortunately for Jet fans, the Jets are not the Steelers.

With that said, I would be shocked if Mangini uses the #4 pick on Cutler.

Grab D'Brick or Mario at #4, or trade down for a King's ransom.

I think Cutler is a huge risk, especially with the #4 pick.

Big Ben was a huge risk at #11 ( I think), but he was fortunate to walk into a perfect situation (not having to carry the team, playing for a well-developed team and managing the game and not making mistakes).

Unfortunately for Jet fans, the Jets are not the Steelers.

With that said, I would be shocked if Mangini uses the #4 pick on Cutler.

Grab D'Brick or Mario at #4, or trade down for a King's ransom.

Righto old chap...

Oh and news flash Peter North the SEC was not a loaded conference this year and they didn't even play Auburn or Alabama... They beat Ole Miss, Middle Tennesse State, Wake Forest, Arkansas, and Richmond.... These were not good football programs this year.

They're best victory was over Tennesse who had a losring season. So quit being the Vanderbilt apologist. If you look at this objectively there are millions of question marks surrounding this guy and there isn't a chance in hell of the Jets trading up for Cutler. Anything you read to the contrary is all smoke and mirrors problably in hopes that we get the Titans interested in him so that we can end up drafting Leinart, D'Brick, or MW.

Righto old chap...

Oh and news flash Peter North the SEC was not a loaded conference this year and they didn't even play Auburn or Alabama... They beat Ole Miss, Middle Tennesse State, Wake Forest, Arkansas, and Richmond.... These were not good football programs this year.

They're best victory was over Tennesse who had a losring season. So quit being the Vanderbilt apologist. If you look at this objectively there are millions of question marks surrounding this guy and there isn't a chance in hell of the Jets trading up for Cutler. Anything you read to the contrary is all smoke and mirrors problably in hopes that we get the Titans interested in him so that we can end up drafting Leinart, D'Brick, or MW.

Cutler was surrounded by NOTHING. He had the talent equivalent of a Sun Belt school to work with, yet he still nearly led Vandy to a bowl game. Convienient how you don't mention Florida, who he single-handedly took to overtime in the game of his life. What exactly are these HUGE questions to be answered about Cutler? There are just as many questions about Lineart and even more about Young.

You talk about how the SEC was down...what exactly did Lineart and Young have to go up against? The Big 12 was even worse than the SEC this past year and the Pac-10 is annually trash.

Cutler was surrounded by NOTHING. He had the talent equivalent of a Sun Belt school to work with, yet he still nearly led Vandy to a bowl game. Convienient how you don't mention Florida, who he single-handedly took to overtime in the game of his life. What exactly are these HUGE questions to be answered about Cutler? There are just as many questions about Lineart and even more about Young.

You talk about how the SEC was down...what exactly did Lineart and Young have to go up against? The Big 12 was even worse than the SEC this past year and the Pac-10 is annually trash.

Both dominated virtually everyone they played. Yeah Cutler had a good game against florida who to be frank was not that good last year either. He had the game of his life and still didn't win the game! This guy is J.P. Losman II big arm athletic all the tools but played for a small time school and never did anything. Heck at least Losman's tossed 33 TD's his senior year... REgardless of whatever anyone wants to say there is absolutely no reason that Cutler deserves to be drafted as early as everyone is saying he will be.

I mention the Losman because the comparison is similiar they both had big arms, and btw before Losman Tulane had Patrick Ramsey another big armed first round bust who played for a small school.

What exactly are these HUGE questions to be answered about Cutler? There are just as many questions about Lineart and even more about Young.

Just to set the record straight on my views on this, the huge risk the Jets have at #4 is taking any QB, whether it be Cutler, Lineart or Young.

D'Brick and Mario are much safer (and probably a lot more immediate impact) than the 3 QB's. If not, just trade down and load up on picks.

Bottom line, the Jets are in the driver's seat at #4.

Just to set the record straight on my views on this, the huge risk the Jets have at #4 is taking any QB, whether it be Cutler, Lineart or Young.

D'Brick and Mario are much safer (and probably a lot more immediate impact) than the 3 QB's. If not, just trade down and load up on picks.

Bingo.

Why would a 35 yr old, first time head coach and a first time GM take a chance on drafting such a huge question mark?

Quarterbacks are always a mystery. Even the most talented have busted and some that have been maligned have excelled.

I would just as soon take the player with less risk involved and draft Ferguson.

Bingo.

Why would a 35 yr old, first time head coach and a first time GM take a chance on drafting such a huge question mark?

Quarterbacks are always a mystery. Even the most talented have busted and some that have been maligned have excelled.

I would just as soon take the player with less risk involved and draft Ferguson.

To the GM's of all teams picking from 5-32 in round 1:

Please ignore the post quoted above as it is pure nonsense and does not reflect the views of the NY Jets FO.;)

I agree 100%.

im going to stay out of the QB fray for once but one point must be made clear

the SEC is by far the toughest conference in America, almost every year. The Big 10 and ACC are also powerhouses but the SEC puts a ton of players into the pros and all of the teams (besides Vandy) have studs across the rosters.

the PAC10 is kinda jokish and the Big 12 is a flat out joke. The best team Texas beat before USC was Colorado twice.

the SEC is by far the toughest conference in America, almost every year. The Big 10 and ACC are also powerhouses but the SEC puts a ton of players into the pros and all of the teams (besides Vandy) have studs across the rosters.

the PAC10 is kinda jokish and the Big 12 is a flat out joke. The best team Texas beat before USC was Colorado twice.

POTW NOM.

And this makes Cutler worth the 4th pick how?

"im going to stay out of the QB fray for once but one point must be made clear" - bitoni in the post you quoted

So he was just stating that the SEC was good for the hell of it?

In that case, the National Leauge is the Junior Varsity of the MLB.

They beat Ohio St.

;)

So he was just stating that the SEC was good for the hell of it?

In that case, the National Leauge is the Junior Varsity of the MLB.

No, he was stating that because of the ridiculous argument made in this thread that Lineart and Young faced tougher competiton.

Who did Vandy play that I should be impressed by?

Besides Notre Dame, Cal, and Texas, who did USC play? How about UT? The only teams they played were OSU and USC.

Cutler, surrounded by an offense with less talent on it than 90% of the country, played very well against Florida and led a victory over Tennesse, a preseason top 5 team that Vandy hadn't beaten in 23 years.

Throughout his career, Cutler had to go against the LSUs, Floridas, Auburns, and Georgias of the world, while Lineart got to feast on turds like Stanford and Arizona, all the while being completely surrounded by NFL talent. Aside from the annual ass thrashing at the hands of Oklahoma, Young had even less competition.

Right you are. Why take a chance on a QB when they need to upgrade their line first and foremost anyway.

Archived