Is JD in deep doo doo?

Mac screwed up trading up to take Darnold. Disaster. Ultimately got him fired. JD essentially makes a similar blunder, if not worse, by taking Wilson, when Fields was sitting there. Somehow, somewhere, sometime, JD will have to answer for this colossal mistake.  Sooner rather than later?  JD has added some nice talent to this team but his FA's have been less than stellar.  Still, the team has made significant progress so I'm sure he is safe as is Saleh. But someone has got to take a fall here for this terrible meltdown.  JD jas his work cut out for him and is going to have to pull a rabbit out his hat and find this team  a QB and an OL.  It's been a constant problem.  How much more time does Woody give JD. He fired Rex wo he loved like a son.  But there's only so much anyone can take.  Should be an interesting off season and expectations next year have risen. No more excuses. Playoffs or you're all FIRED.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Thing is they didn't expect playoffs going into the season, but deluded themselves into thinking they were ahead of schedule and better than they were before the midpoint of the season.

The Patriots bursted the bubble and we never recovered from the bye after that. The team was overall pretty mediocre and not clutch. They choked again and again.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Where in the world are you getting this from? 

Saleh/JD have the same record as Gase/Mac/JD. 

Hows that progress? 

They made progress.  And they regressed. But that's still progress compared to the last few seasons since JD and Saleh took over.  Most realized when Breece and AVT went down, the season was over.  It forced Wilson to have to take the game into his own hands which he clearly wasnt ready to do. LaFleur did him no favors  either. The defense has vastly improved from the last couple of years.  Tough crowd.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

53 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Mac screwed up trading up to take Darnold. Disaster. Ultimately got him fired. JD essentially makes a similar blunder, if not worse, by taking Wilson, when Fields was sitting there. Somehow, somewhere, sometime, JD will have to answer for this colossal mistake.  Sooner rather than later?  JD has added some nice talent to this team but his FA's have been less than stellar.  Still, the team has made significant progress so I'm sure he is safe as is Saleh. But someone has got to take a fall here for this terrible meltdown.  JD jas his work cut out for him and is going to have to pull a rabbit out his hat and find this team  a QB and an OL.  It's been a constant problem.  How much more time does Woody give JD. He fired Rex wo he loved like a son.  But there's only so much anyone can take.  Should be an interesting off season and expectations next year have risen. No more excuses. Playoffs or you're all FIRED.

7/21 75 yards 1 TD 1 INT Lost fumble. That's the guy you wanted drafted instead ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

49 minutes ago, Vader said:

Thing is they didn't expect playoffs going into the season, but deluded themselves into thinking they were ahead of schedule and better than they were before the midpoint of the season.

The Patriots bursted the bubble and we never recovered from the bye after that. The team was overall pretty mediocre and not clutch. They choked again and again.

I think this was more on LaFleur.  He didn't scheme to the players strengths.  Just numerous head scratching plays that destroyed drives in key games. 

47 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Where in the world are you getting this from? 

Saleh/JD have the same record as Gase/Mac/JD. 

Hows that progress? 

Completely opposite roster construction. Mac focused on vets for short term success and was trash at drafting. JD tore the entire roster down and now there’s a bunch of young guys in key positions 

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Completely opposite roster construction. Mac focused on vets for short term success and was trash at drafting. JD tore the entire roster down and now there’s a bunch of young guys in key positions 

And its literally gotten us back to the same 7-9 record we had when JD first arrived to work with Gase. 4 years later. 

So yay? 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I think this was more on LaFleur.  He didn't scheme to the players strengths.  Just numerous head scratching plays that destroyed drives in key games. 

I kind of agree. You saw the Seattle offense scheme TEs and WRs open all day. Run game - Pass game sync was out of whack while Seattle hit big plays in both all day. But what happens on O falls on the HC 

• Upvote 3

Woody is fond of saying is the arrow pointing up or pointing down. The plane ride back in his jet will be where he ponders that question and the Miami game is not going to factor into that determination. He will have made his mind up this week and Black Monday will be interesting along with his post season remarks at that time. Saleh had no answers in the post game as to why this team was not prepared to play and that is weighing heavily in Woody's mind. This is devastating to Saleh and he better realize that. Had they lost a hard fought game then I think Saleh is safe but this showing puts him in peril. I would put the odds of him returning at no better than 50/50. There will be rumors coming out this week for sure. The long knives may be out. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

And its literally gotten us back to the same 7-9 record we had when JD first arrived to work with Gase. 4 years later. 

So yay? 

DUH. What was Mac and Gase's record after they went 7-9?  2 - 32 or something spectacularly pathetic? Mac was the worse GM in the last decade in the NFL. JD, for all his bleeps and bloops, has at least fielded a competitive roster filled with a lot of young talent: MC, MC2, Johnson, Hall, G Wilson, AVT, Moore, Bam etc.  There is just no comparison between the two.  The crux of this thread centers around the QB and how long JD has to get that straightened out.  

Macc didn't get fired for Sam Darnold. Darnold finished the 2018 season playing pretty well except for the last game in New England. The 3 games before that were very good and the Jets looked, at least in my opinion at the time, like they may have finally had a QB. They certainly were high on him coming into his 2nd year

Macc got fired that off season cause Chris hired Gase and Gase muscled him out (only good thing Gase ever did). 

Macc was a train wreck. His drafts were abysmal. His Free Agent signings were awful. JD has built a solid roster overall albeit with a few big holes (QB, O-Line). He hasn't really handed out any disaster contracts to Free Agents though. 

JD got the Zach pick wrong. And that's a big miss at 2. But I think the thing that really hurts him right now is Becton not being able to get on the field. If it was just Zach Wilson being bad, you could argue that lots of teams miss on QBs. It's the toughest position by far to scout. You just don't know how some of these guys are going to translate to the NFL. JD isn't alone in missing on a Quarterback. But Becton has been a non factor for 2 years and the Jets could have hard Wirfs. That one stings. 

I think for both JD and Saleh's sake, they need a good showing next week in Miami. If the team looks flat, you never know what could happen.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TBJ said:

He should have traded the pick to San Fran.

Even more egregious, we should have been drafting Trevor Lawrence.

Taking Wilson was a crapshoot. And you dont mess with a #2 pick. You take a player with a more established resume than swing for the fences.  

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

That "insanely good draft" is home watching the playoffs on TV. 

I'm so excited to brag all offseason about our Pepsi Zero Rookie of the Week Awards, though. 

This will be JD's 5th season coming up. No QB still. Two coaches, no playoff games.

Yes and no. JD's first season was  practically non-existent. He didnt have control of teh draft. He was saddled by Gase who he didnt hire.  the cap was a total mess. The roster was full of crappy vets etc etc etc.  He literally had to start from scratch.  But he has missed on the QB.  You are correct there. So again, my question is, how long does JD have to straighten that out?  He's done a decent job considering all other things. As far as the coaches go, Saleh has been a on the job learning HC.  LaFleur, IMO, has to go but don't see that happening.  It s more like they will fall together or grow together.  And that insanely good draft you were talking about was very good. And by the way, they are rookies. And will get better. this is a very very young team but NY oh land of instant gratification. I forgot.