Job Offer

I received an offer for the position of Fire Marshal for a smaller Department (Cocoa, Fl) the other day. The Fire Chief was like, yeah, we'd love for you to start asap...I said, well, wouldn't you need to interview me first? He laughed and said, consider this your interview, your resume and certifications are exactly what we're looking for.  ? 

So I asked him for a couple of days (over the long weekend) to talk it over with wife and some of my Rabbis and mentors at work and he said, sure of course, but we want you to come up asap. 

We drove up to Cocoa to scout the area and made it a family outing for NYE, stayed on the beach... the area is really cool. Kennedy Space Center, Port Canaveral is a major cruise line port for Disney, Royal Carib, etc, and its 40 minutes to Disney. Slower pace of life, less stress,  and the real estate market isn't insane....oh, and the booming space industry is right there,  so we'll get to spend the next decades watching SpaceX and Artemis rockets launching from our back yard.

I'm 51 years old and eligible to collect my pension immediately upon retirement (around $7000/month to not go to West Palm Beach ?) and I have a drop/share account and 457 that amounts to about $150K lump sum. The new job starts at around $60K annual with full benefits and another pension fund benefit. 

The Chief called me on December 31st, and the night before my wife and I were talking about how we felt "stuck" where we are, how I've gone as far as I wanted to go (Fire Captain, Asst. Fire Marshal, Officer of the Year 2021). The next step at my current Dept. Could take 3 years, and honestly I don't want that job. White shirt, all paperwork, and out of the bargaining unit. 

BUT, we will be moving to a new area where we don't know anyone (School isn't a factor, my kids have been homeschooling since covid when my wife saw what they were learning amd said, we can do a lot better - she was right).

So. I'm getting ready to do paperwork and give notice to a place that once told me when we were having issues related to my hour assignment "Your problems aren't the Fire Departments" and live near the beach on the Space Coast.

Am I crazy to resign? Or is this the change I've been waiting for. And man, the timing. Is this my Dad giving me a nudge from beyond? 

Exciting and scary at the same time.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Here’s my two cents…. You’re not old, but you’re from the last generation that places a high value on loyalty to an employer. 
The young ones today have no trepidation about change. If you were 15 years younger, and this is the position you wanted, you wouldn’t think twice, that’s how they feel about their careers, and I think they have the right idea.

On the flip side is “the devil you know…” argument, and the fact that you’re married with two(?) boys. One has an issue you’ve talked about, so their happiness is a factor also. Then there’s the question of how much longer do you want to be on the job?

At the end of the day though, you’re the one person who really knows what will make you happy. Listen to what your gut, and your heart tells you, and go with it.

YOLO, brother. Personally, I’d go for it.

That's where I am. Going up this week for meeting and paperwork, and once formal offer is made, I'm submitting my retirement letter to WPBFD. Crazy! ? 

Looking forward to a fresh start. Already bought a 1TB zip drive to save everything on my work computer....

• Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm 51 years old and eligible to collect my pension immediately upon retirement (around $7000/month to not go to West Palm Beach ?) and I have a drop/share account and 457 that amounts to about $150K lump sum. The new job starts at around $60K annual with full benefits and another pension fund benefit. 

What sort of pension are you looking at from NY if you resign now and take this job? When are you eligible to collect in full? I waited until I hit 55 only because of my pension. Thats a sexy pension you have there, I wouldn’t want to just toss it but, at the same time, leaving NY and moving to warmer climes was the best decision I ever made and making it sooner wouldn’t’ve made me too unhappy, lol. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's where I am. Going up this week for meeting and paperwork, and once formal offer is made, I'm submitting my retirement letter to WPBFD. Crazy! ? 

Looking forward to a fresh start. Already bought a 1TB zip drive to save everything on my work computer....

Good for you! Keep us updated…

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think you are making a great decision.  Change is good.  

You'll work another 5-10 years, sock away a bit more I'd say as 7K don't go as far as it used to BUT I like what you've described.

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I think you are making a great decision.  Change is good.  

You'll work another 5-10 years, sock away a bit more I'd say as 7K don't go as far as it used to BUT I like what you've described.

True, but it's $7K a month for life (mine and my Wifes) not to go to WPB. After 7 years, I'll be vested in the Florida Retirement system for another pension....and until then making a decent salary well above the median for the area. 

Biggest thing is, I don't enjoy going to my current job anymore. I got the guys trained up and they unit is on autopilot, and aside from the occasional complex incident, they got it down. I'm leaving it WAY BETTER than I found it. But it's time to go. The schools are better, the pace of life is better, the housing market is better, and my wife is ready to go. 

And $$ goes WAY further up in Central Florida than down in PB County.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

True, but it's $7K a month for life (mine and my Wifes) not to go to WPB. After 7 years, I'll be vested in the Florida Retirement system for another pension....and until then making a decent salary well above the median for the area. 

Biggest thing is, I don't enjoy going to my current job anymore. I got the guys trained up and they unit is on autopilot, and aside from the occasional complex incident, they got it down. I'm leaving it WAY BETTER than I found it. But it's time to go. The schools are better, the pace of life is better, the housing market is better, and my wife is ready to go. 

Good luck with whatever you decide. I have no comment on any of the $ stuff. But hating work is the worst. Luckily I am no longer in that camp, but did that for a long time. And it ages you. So I hope you are happy either way. Because this all goes by too damn fast!

21 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sounds like you are making the right decision.  I know what its like to be stuck in a bad job.  From what you have said, WPBFD was lucky to have you, you have made contributions to the organization that will be sustained even after your tenure is over.  You should feel good about that while making the choice that is best for you and your family.

Good luck!!!

On 1/2/2023 at 7:30 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sounds like a great move.  You've hit a dead end where you are.  The nice thing about this is you and your wife are in this together.  It's an adventure for both of you.  If it turns out you both want to move back down the road you can.  

Embrace an unknown future together with a positive attitude and love.  It always works out...

• Post of the Week 1

over New Years we went to this cabin in the woods and lo and behold there was a red frog in the shower 

my special lady friend screamed bloody murder but ever the cool customer, I picked him up and put him in the leaves. Don't worry he's got like antifreeze in his blood or something

but before I went back inside I stood real quiet, there wasn't a noise but the rustling of the trees. I looked right at the frog and he and me and then he croaked clearly  "Bet against the Jets" and then "Plus+3" 

Sure I wasn't sober but there was no doubt that frog was talkin to me. 

later I read on the internet that the red frog is an omen of fertility and good fortune. the red frog is a fire spirit animal - it's also the Chinese year of the Rabbit coming up another fertile animal

that's my way of saying that 2023 is going to be a good year for trying new things out so everyone should go for it, what ever it is 

hypnotic futurama GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

over New Years we went to this cabin in the woods and lo and behold there was a red frog in the shower 

my special lady friend screamed bloody murder but ever the cool customer, I picked him up and put him in the leaves. Don't worry he's got like antifreeze in his blood or something

but before I went back inside I stood real quiet, there wasn't a noise but the rustling of the trees. I looked right at the frog and he and me and then he croaked clearly  "Bet against the Jets" and then "Plus+3" 

Sure I wasn't sober but there was no doubt that frog was talkin to me. 

later I read on the internet that the red frog is an omen of fertility and good fortune. the red frog is a fire spirit animal - it's also the Chinese year of the Rabbit coming up another fertile animal

that's my way of saying that 2023 is going to be a good year for trying new things out so everyone should go for it, what ever it is 

hypnotic futurama GIF

Weird, same thing happened to me..... but the Frog was blue. And Ambien.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Had my interview this morning....nearly 3 hours, including driving around with the Chief to get a tour of the City, Target Hazards (SpaceX. Aerojet Rocketdyne, etc) and a tour of "Recommended Neighborhoods" to live in....

Text I just got from Cocoa Fire Chief:

"Thanks, again it was really nice talking with you today. I know that was a really formal interview but I wanted to get to know you and I could read all the rest in your documents so that's how I operate. We all look good on paper I wanted to meet and see who Brian was and you did not disappoint my friend. Really hope it all works out and I'm looking forward to having you as part of the team."

I think I'm getting the job....

? 

Hmmm…. Somewhere I thought you said you got the job. OK, Good Luck!!!!   Pulling for you!!!  Tell him your a Jets fan, oh wait, that will bring common sense and judgement into question.  ?

• Haha 2

Back when I lived in Brevard county Cocoa had a horrible reputation for drugs and crime but if they've cleaned it up, you could do a hell of a lot worse than living in that part of the world.

Best of luck.

On 1/1/2023 at 10:25 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I received an offer for the position of Fire Marshal for a smaller Department (Cocoa, Fl) the other day. The Fire Chief was like, yeah, we'd love for you to start asap...I said, well, wouldn't you need to interview me first? He laughed and said, consider this your interview, your resume and certifications are exactly what we're looking for.  ? 

So I asked him for a couple of days (over the long weekend) to talk it over with wife and some of my Rabbis and mentors at work and he said, sure of course, but we want you to come up asap. 

We drove up to Cocoa to scout the area and made it a family outing for NYE, stayed on the beach... the area is really cool. Kennedy Space Center, Port Canaveral is a major cruise line port for Disney, Royal Carib, etc, and its 40 minutes to Disney. Slower pace of life, less stress,  and the real estate market isn't insane....oh, and the booming space industry is right there,  so we'll get to spend the next decades watching SpaceX and Artemis rockets launching from our back yard.

The Chief called me on December 31st, and the night before my wife and I were talking about how we felt "stuck" where we are, how I've gone as far as I wanted to go (Fire Captain, Asst. Fire Marshal, Officer of the Year 2021). The next step at my current Dept. Could take 3 years, and honestly I don't want that job. White shirt, all paperwork, and out of the bargaining unit. 

BUT, we will be moving to a new area where we don't know anyone (School isn't a factor, my kids have been homeschooling since covid when my wife saw what they were learning amd said, we can do a lot better - she was right).

So. I'm getting ready to do paperwork and give notice to a place that once told me when we were having issues related to my hour assignment "Your problems aren't the Fire Departments" and live near the beach on the Space Coast.

Am I crazy to resign? Or is this the change I've been waiting for. And man, the timing. Is this my Dad giving me a nudge from beyond? 

Exciting and scary at the same time.

No brainer decision. Go double dip for a while to save up some dough. 

amazing that one pension is actually more income than another full time job. 

congrats

• Post of the Week 1

Submitted my letter of retirement on Friday.  Made the Chief cry, laugh, amd offer me her best Wishes and any help needed moving forward. 

Awesome stuff. Things I was worried about are resolving faster than I could ever imagine. 

Dad is clearly nudging things for me.  Crazy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1