Derek Carr fixes this immediately

AFJF

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Breer on the Carr-Raiders divorce: Carr is soft(?), lacks accountability, and is bad in the clutch%

Well, there are a few reasons for it, beyond just his 63–79 record as a starter, which, to be fair, is in part on him and in part a product of his surroundings. 

• The first issue, as I understand it, connects to his fit with a new culture that draws hard lines on toughness and accountability. The second and third can be drawn from there. 

• On the former—toughness—Carr has had a reputation for not hanging in the pocket, letting plays develop and taking a hit to strike downfield. That showed at times. One was against the Steelers in Week 16, on third-and-5 in the fourth quarter, with 3:07 left. The Steelers got pushed up the middle and rather than hold the ball and buy time, Carr quickly threw it over Davante Adams’s head and into the bench area—when Adams was in single coverage and would’ve had a chance to make a play downfield. Other issues from earlier in his career (like his ability to play in the cold) resurfaced, as well.

• On the latter—accountability—there was a feeling, among coaches and players, that Carr hadn’t shouldered his share of the blame for the mountain of close losses that piled up over the weeks, with the Thursday-night loss to the Rams, a prime example.

• The fourth element I could ascertain was an ability to make the plays to turn close losses into wins, with Carr missing a wide-open Hunter Renfrow high on his game-sealing pick in Pittsburgh as the most recent example.

• And fifth, and this relates back to knowing when to take risks with the ball, is how much the Raiders were able to get from Adams in his first season. Adams’s numbers, to be sure, were fantastic with Carr in there (88 catches, 1,290 yards, 12 TDs). But even still, there was a lot of meat left on the bone with Vegas’s headlining acquisition of 2022.

This is a dicey game to play because obviously I don’t know any better (and I’m not a huge Carr fan), but didn’t Breer cover the Pats forever? My guess is that basically all of this is copied and pasted from texts he got from McDaniels.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is a dicey game to play because obviously I don’t know any better (and I’m not a huge Carr fan), but didn’t Breer cover the Pats forever? My guess is that basically all of this is copied and pasted from texts he got from McDaniels.

Probably, but isn’t this the narrative that’s been around Carr forever? I don’t dislike him, but I dislike the idea of giving him tens of millions of dollars and expecting any different than he provided the Raiders

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Probably, but isn’t this the narrative that’s been around Carr forever? I don’t dislike him, but I dislike the idea of giving him tens of millions of dollars and expecting any different than he provided the Raiders

Maybe. I can’t figure Carr out. The advanced numbers love him but every time I watch him I feel like he’s maybe—maybe—the 20th best QB in the league. It seems equally likely that a change of scenery will turn him into Matt Stafford 2.0 or that a change of scenery will turn him into Matt Ryan 2.0. The good news is, we can definitely trust Joe Douglas to figure it out!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  Just stop watching rather than demanding change like good little sheep.  That’s the way to handle it!

Carr “fixing everything” is your idea, not mine.  Ownership is very much a part of why Carr probably wouldn’t even come here in the first place. 

Get ready for Jimmy G.

Demanding Woody to sell the team works how exactly?

And does what for MW not being able to throw a TD pass?  
It’s on Woody?  Lol

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Maybe. I can’t figure Carr out. The advanced numbers love him but every time I watch him I feel like he’s maybe—maybe—the 20th best QB in the league. It seems equally likely that a change of scenery will turn him into Matt Stafford 2.0 or that a change of scenery will turn him into Matt Ryan 2.0. The good news is, we can definitely trust Joe Douglas to figure it out!

I feel exactly about Carr as I felt about signing Kirk Cousins. Given the available routes ahead, I’d rank them this way:

1. Sign Carr, hope for the best

2. Sign Garoppolo, hope for the best

3. Roll with White and Minshew, hope the 2024 class is awesome.

N/A: Hope that Saleh and LaFleur can rehabilitate Zach while Tannehill eats up snaps

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Don't put words into my mouth. We don't need Derek Carr to go to the playoffs. This isn't an either/or scenario. 

I didn’t. You said you don’t want the playoffs if your crystal ball says we will “diarrhea” in them. What did I miss?

41 minutes ago, jgb said:

I didn’t. You said you don’t want the playoffs if your crystal ball says we will “diarrhea” in them. What did I miss?

Like I said, it doesn't have to be Derek Carr and playoffs or no Derek Carr and no playoffs. I'll go with a better option. I didn't say I didn't want playoffs. Again, don't put words in my mouth.

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Like I said, it doesn't have to be Derek Carr and playoffs or no Derek Carr and no playoffs. I'll go with a better option. I didn't say I didn't want playoffs. Again, don't put words in my mouth.

I didn’t think I was. Guess I don’t understand your words even though I used the same ones to restate your position…

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I didn’t think I was. Guess I don’t understand your words. 

Last post about this.

• Some Jets fans are talking about Derek Carr as QB1 for the New York Jets. 
  • Derek Carr is at least one tier better than Mike White and two tiers better than Zach Wilson, in my opinion.
  • Derek Carr with this roster would get this team to 10-7 and a playoff berth.
  • I want to make the playoffs, but I also want to go far in the playoffs.
  • Derek Carr is not a go-far-in-the-playoffs type QB. 
  • I'd prefer a better option for QB1 in 2023.
  • The argument for who is the better option is part of another conversation.
  • If a magic genie gave me two options between not making the playoffs or making the playoffs with Derek Carr, I would of course take the Derek Carr option.
  • I'd support Derek Carr if he was QB1.
  • I still don't want Derek Carr.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Last post about this.

• Derek Carr is at least one tier better than Mike White and two tiers better than Zach Wilson, in my opinion.
  • If a magic genie gave me two options between not making the playoffs or making the playoffs with Derek Carr, I would of course take the Derek Carr option.

Ok but I still think you’d be jazzed to make the playoffs even if you fear a first round trouncing but hey maybe I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ok but I still think you’d be jazzed to make the playoffs even if you fear a first round trouncing but hey maybe I am wrong.

Last post about this.

8 hours ago, BurntDice said:

The raiders have a complete douche as hc. That is why 

So the HC randomly cuts players that have trade value because he doesn't want anything in return?  And where is the Raiders' GM in all of this?  He's just letting this happen?

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel exactly about Carr as I felt about signing Kirk Cousins. Given the available routes ahead, I’d rank them this way:

1. Sign Carr, hope for the best

2. Sign Garoppolo, hope for the best

3. Roll with White and Minshew, hope the 2024 class is awesome.

N/A: Hope that Saleh and LaFleur can rehabilitate Zach while Tannehill eats up snaps

Signing Carr at $40+M for a long-term deal with a lot of guaranteed money is our best route?!  Lunacy!

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He'd be paid like an elite QB when we'd get mediocre production.  How many teams cut quality QBs, btw?   It's only the most desired commodity in all of sports.  But I'm sure there's some benign explanation and Derek Carr is our savior.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So the HC randomly cuts players that have trade value because he doesn't want anything in return?  And where is the Raiders' GM in all of this?  He's just letting this happen?

It’s not randomly. He wants to start from fresh and rebuild. It’s very difficult to do that with an expensive qb. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Tampa Bay is cutting Brady?  That's news to me.  

The pats let Brady walk, and he still had high level play in him, as he won the super bowl in tampa. I don't see your point. 

The raiders don't want to pay him and are likely going to blow it up.  Why not let him go and go the cheap draft route if you want to start over?  Thats the logical choice.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:59 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Carr has a no trade clause in his contract. IWhen he gets traded, or released, he will be signing with a team like Miami, Tennessee, Seattle or Rams.

With this OC & coach & owner, why would anyone come here if they had the choice?

Money like every other FA? 

On 1/2/2023 at 8:38 AM, T0mShane said:

If Saleh gets to the Super Bowl with Zach, loses, and then decides he needs a QB who is marginally better than Zach to get the team over the edge, I agree that Carr would be a good enough QB for that. 

Your take is Carr is marginally better than Zach?  

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Breer on the Carr-Raiders divorce: Carr is soft(?), lacks accountability, and is bad in the clutch%

Well, there are a few reasons for it, beyond just his 63–79 record as a starter, which, to be fair, is in part on him and in part a product of his surroundings. 

• The first issue, as I understand it, connects to his fit with a new culture that draws hard lines on toughness and accountability. The second and third can be drawn from there. 

• On the former—toughness—Carr has had a reputation for not hanging in the pocket, letting plays develop and taking a hit to strike downfield. That showed at times. One was against the Steelers in Week 16, on third-and-5 in the fourth quarter, with 3:07 left. The Steelers got pushed up the middle and rather than hold the ball and buy time, Carr quickly threw it over Davante Adams’s head and into the bench area—when Adams was in single coverage and would’ve had a chance to make a play downfield. Other issues from earlier in his career (like his ability to play in the cold) resurfaced, as well.

• On the latter—accountability—there was a feeling, among coaches and players, that Carr hadn’t shouldered his share of the blame for the mountain of close losses that piled up over the weeks, with the Thursday-night loss to the Rams, a prime example.

• The fourth element I could ascertain was an ability to make the plays to turn close losses into wins, with Carr missing a wide-open Hunter Renfrow high on his game-sealing pick in Pittsburgh as the most recent example.

• And fifth, and this relates back to knowing when to take risks with the ball, is how much the Raiders were able to get from Adams in his first season. Adams’s numbers, to be sure, were fantastic with Carr in there (88 catches, 1,290 yards, 12 TDs). But even still, there was a lot of meat left on the bone with Vegas’s headlining acquisition of 2022.

Meanwhile on hard knocks and in reports teammates and past CS’s raved about his leadership.  And a D Adams ran from one of the GOATs to play with Carr again.