Derek Carr fixes this immediately

AFJF

8 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

What compensation is worth it to you?

Considering the massive contract and the fact that McDaniels not only benched him but sent him home, not much. I'd much rather try for Jordan Love. But to answer your question--a 3rd, maybe with a throw-in 2024 pick?

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I don't disagree with any of this. I think Carr is a loser, and a weird churchy freak who will get eaten alive here. The problem is that the team not only needs a QB, but a QB who can conceivably take them to the playoffs. If Douglas and Saleh put together a QB room of Garoppolo, Wilson, and White getting coached by the Packers' Deputy Assistant to the Offensive Quality Control Coach, they're not making it to Christmas.

At least with Carr he's been pretty reliable and rarely gotten injured. With Garoppolo there's a 90% chance, Wilson or White are starting by week 4 or 5. 

Also, Deputy is just a hilarious word.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like we’re not just a QB away, though I get that’s become the common wisdom. Carr is fine, but I think the Jets are kidding themselves if they feel like he’s going to carry them to a Super Bowl.

What's your alternative that will ? 

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

True but remember there are now jobs on the line.  We know the circle of life and death here.  We’re at the intermediate part of the play where all the good vibes are gone and the hc/gm enter survival mode.  Jd is winning right now despite wilson b/c of his last draft, but that’s all he has.  If becton miraculously comes back and plays that helps him too.  Another good draft would also keep him here.  And remember avt and breece should also be back next season.

as for the coach, he just needs to win.  And we know saleh would jettison wilson in a heartbeat.  So my guess is that he aligns himself with MLF and pounds the table for a veteran.

my problem with saleh’s stance this year is that he essentially went all in that changing qbs would be enough to get to the playoffs.  Yet white now looks like wilson.  And flacco looked bad too.  So there’s 3 starting qbs this season who all crapped out, and now saleh is going to have to spin yet another narrative that a veteran presence is needed, but unlike flacco who sucks.  He’ll insist he loves white, but wants competition.  He’ll insist that wilson is not done here but will make him inactive.  He’s fighting too many fronts and we know how those wars worked out .

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I don't disagree with any of this. I think Carr is a loser, and a weird churchy freak who will get eaten alive here. The problem is that the team not only needs a QB, but a QB who can conceivably take them to the playoffs. If Douglas and Saleh put together a QB room of Garoppolo, Wilson, and White getting coached by the Packers' Deputy Assistant to the Offensive Quality Control Coach, they're not making it to Christmas.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You never know. Teams with a strong defense and running game tend to do well in the playoffs. Our d was playing at a pretty high level for a good portion of the season. I feel like they've been demoralized by one inept offensive performance after another.

The teams with elite QB's will also be the favorites but the way this team is being built I feel like it can go deep into the playoffs with a guy like Carr. 

There's also the fact that JD & Saleh need to get the team into the playoffs in 2023 if they want to keep job security.

Not to lump these three posts in together, but I agree that Saleh and Douglas are more than justified in signing Carr if only to steady the ship that’s taking on water because Zach busted so hard, but I hate that the reason we’d push the chips in to sign car is to save their jobs. Feels a little eh. I just don’t think Carr is all that good, I don’t think Saleh is all that good, and I think that committing resources to a guy like Carr just ends up with this staff and this roster getting exposed, especially considering we’d have to jettison players to fit Carr in. @dbatesman Isn’t the Mays cap scenario based on trading for Carr? Because I’d really not want to do that either. If we’re going big-ticket free agent hunting, I’d rather offer Tom Brady the same total dollar amount on a two year deal than I would on a four year deal for Carr.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Sorry to reply-blitz you here, but I just want to be clear: I don't think Carr is carrying anyone to a Super Bowl, ever. The idea is just to get some basic competency and stability out of the QB position for a couple of years until they can draft and develop a long-term guy. This is precisely what the Bills did with Tyrod before drafting Allen, or the Chiefs with Alex Smith before drafting Mahomes. The Jets are doing it late and ass-backwards because they already drafted a QB, but the logic still holds.

In this scenario, Zach Wilson becomes the understudy to Carr? Because hardest of hard passes.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to lump these three posts in together, but I agree that Saleh and Douglas are more than justified in signing Carr if only to steady the ship that’s taking on water because Zach busted so hard, but I hate that the reason we’d push the chips in to sign car is to save their jobs. Feels a little eh. I just don’t think Carr is all that good, I don’t think Saleh is all that good, and I think that committing resources to a guy like Carr just ends up with this staff and this roster getting exposed, especially considering we’d have to jettison players to fit Carr in. @dbatesman Isn’t the Mays cap scenario based on trading for Carr? Because I’d really not want to do that either. If we’re going big-ticket free agent hunting, I’d rather offer Tom Brady the same total dollar amount on a two year deal than I would on a four year deal for Carr.

In this scenario, Zach Wilson becomes the understudy to Carr? Because hardest of hard passes.

I think the rationale would be to get carr here, make the playoffs, save their jobs and then go get another guy to groom.  B/c they won’t have the jobs to groom another qb if they can’t prove they can win with the coaches and players they have, and add a veteran qb.  

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

For next year, sure. But beyond that, I would think the understudy is whomever they draft in 2024. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the rationale would be to get carr here, make the playoffs, save their jobs and then go get another guy to groom.  B/c they won’t have the jobs to groom another qb if they can’t prove they can win with the coaches and players they have, and add a veteran qb.  

I guess that could work, and is a plausible—if expensive—scheme. 

On 1/2/2023 at 5:05 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  Just stop watching rather than demanding change like good little sheep.  That’s the way to handle it!

Carr “fixing everything” is your idea, not mine.  Ownership is very much a part of why Carr probably wouldn’t even come here in the first place. 

Get ready for Jimmy G.

I am confused.  Does this mean our ownership is a positive or a negative? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess that could work, and is a plausible—if expensive—scheme. 

I wouldn't be thrilled with Carr, but it's a "best looking house in an ugly neighborhood" type situation.

I'm realistic about things.

He's most likely not the answer, but then again, he's never been on a team with the kind of defensive talent the Jets have.  The Raiders' D choked away multiple 20+ pt leads this season.  Some of that is also on Carr and the offense for failing to score in the 2nd halves.

But he's a stand-up guy and a solid vet who would immediately command the respect of the locker room.

The Raiders' defense has been abysmal for as long as he's been there.  The organization as a whole has been a train wreck.

And I'm willing to give him a pass on the Steelers game.  It was one game.

I think this was McDaniels' plan all along.  He's eyeing Brady for '23 with Davante / Waller / Renfrow.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I wouldn't be thrilled with Carr, but it's a "best looking house in an ugly neighborhood" type situation.

I'm realistic about things.

He's most likely not the answer, but then again, he's never been on a team with the kind of defensive talent the Jets have.  The Raiders' D choked away multiple 20+ pt leads this season.  Some of that is also on Carr and the offense for failing to score in the 2nd halves.

But he's a stand-up guy and a solid vet who would immediately command the respect of the locker room.

The Raiders' defense has been abysmal for as long as he's been there.  The organization as a whole has been a train wreck.

And I'm willing to give him a pass on the Steelers game.  It was one game.

I think this was McDaniels' plan all along.  He's eyeing Brady for '23 with Davante / Waller / Renfrow.

I suppose I’m in the same boat. It would be fine, but I’d have limited expectations on the return. As others have mentioned, it’d be a bridge move to pacify Woody until they could find a better option, and hope they could unearth something in Carr that he hasn’t produced previously. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, my family out there says he is squawking about retiring.  Grew up a Raiders fan with Davante and does not want to go anywhere else.  I don't know how true, but that kind of chatter usually means "I want more money." 

Is that new squawking or is it a presumption based on his earlier assertion that he wants to be a Raider for life? 

On 1/2/2023 at 9:06 AM, SickJetFan said:

Sam Darnold if you can convince him and pay him enough.  I think he would be a great bridge QB for this type of offense and get you to 2024 where you go back to the well and draft a QB (ie Bo Nix) then sit said QB for 2024 or most of allowing Darnold to play assuming he can.

I would not put all my eggs in Darnold basket though and try to find another WCO vet QB that does not break the bank.  Let Darnold, cheap vet (maybe White), Strev, and Wilson fight it out in QB competition.

if they insist on keeping MLF then he needs a good QB coach and passing game coordinator or get rid of MLF and rebuild the staff but whatever you do they need a better coaching structure like Chiefs have and a lot of other teams who have routine success do.

JD is out of draft capital and running out of money so to build continued success they need to play it smart here and keep building on the core of this team (Q, Sauce, Breece, GW, AVT) which is not a very big core of A+ players yet.  If they can salvage players like Becton that would be huge.  Also they need to continue to dev JJ, Clemons, Ruckert, and some of the B players. 

This team is going to look a lot different come sept whatever happens.

If Woody steps in and starts axing everyone then who knows...could mean different schemes on both sides of ball and your A+ players are not A+ players anymore.  If they switched to 3/4 for example then Q becomes more pedestrian.  So if he does the Ax I want it to be for Payton only.

if he doesnt do Ax I want him to force feed Saleh into some significant coaching changes.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Throw the bad at Brady and see what he does. He loves Manhattan and it’d be an epic, epic denoument to his career. Trade Zach to the Niners for Trey Lance. Profit, profit, profit. 

I’ve been thinking about Brady. 

can’t imagine he’d come here. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

def would have to overpay to bring him back but then again they will need to over pay everyone to get them here.

I honestly doubt he even considers any offer from JD. A lot of teams need or may need starters next year:

Nola, Tampa, Indy, Houston, Miami, Oakland (kinda feel like refusing to call them Vegas), Carolina, Atlanta, New England, Tennessee, and us.

He won’t need our offer.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I honestly doubt he even considers any offer from JD. A lot of teams need or may need starters next year:

Nola, Tampa, Indy, Houston, Miami, Oakland (kinda feel like refusing to call them Vegas), Carolina, Atlanta, New England, Tennessee, and us.

He won’t need our offer.

yeah chances slim to none but money talks and Darnold aint stupid he is looking to his own future after football I am sure.