Derek Carr fixes this immediately

AFJF

33 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, you are being pretty hard on Carr. He's not elite, but he's not a "bad" QB. His lifetime numbers would make him the best QB we've had since . . . ?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm

People will always look at Derek and see David. Derek slid to the second round because Houston destroyed David.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As good of an offseason as he had last year, JD is going to need to have a better one this coming offseason (and with fewer draft picks).  This is where JD is going to have to earn his salary.

I hate the idea of Carr because I don't see us getting very far with him but he'll be an anchor around this team for the contract he'll be demanding.  I want us to swing big with TB12 or Rodgers or else go for a discount guy that can give us a professional at the position but who we won't be locked into long-term (like an Andy Dalton type) and we can try to figure something out next year.  We're way too good to get the #1 overall pick for Caleb Williams though so not sure where the heck we're going to find a championship caliber QB.  I guess that's the dilemma that most teams have though.

But it really kind of puts us in the middle of nowhere as a franchise.

I get what you are saying, but let's get something straight - Rodgers is a pipe dream. Have you looked at that contract? Are you trading multiple first round picks (and then some) for that? Do you really think JD is? Plus, he's 39 and is already on the annual will he/won't he retirement watch. No thanks. Also, if the Packers ever did trade him, he'd have some say in where he ended up. Would he really want to come here? Talk about following in Brett Favre's shoes . . .  Also, regardless of how ill-advised of a trade it would be, I don't see the Packers moving him after they miraculously make the playoffs with him (again). 

Brady? At least he's a FA who you don't have to sell the farm for. But, he's 46 and would probably go to a number of different teams before he even considered us, IMO. For one thing, I imagine he's going to want an offensive coach (see the rumors about Brady and Payton wanting to team up somewhere) and we all know deep down that Saleh isn't going anywhere. Again, landing Brady feels  . . .  unrealistic (although probably not as unrealistic as Rodgers). 

So, after we waste our time discussing the fantasy options that almost definitely won't happen, it really comes down to overpaying for Carr (I'd like to include Jimmy G here but his lack of durability is a non-starter for me) OR going with a cheap option like you mentioned (Dalton, Minshew, etc.,). I could be talked into either approach, but with the latter, ZW will be closer to getting back on the field. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I get what you are saying, but let's get something straight - Rodgers is a pipe dream. Have you looked at that contract? Are you trading multiple first round picks (and then some) for that? Do you really think JD is? Plus, he's 39 and is already on the annual will he/won't he retirement watch. No thanks. Also, if the Packers ever did trade him, he'd have some say in where he ended up. Would he really want to come here? Talk about following in Brett Favre's shoes . . .  Also, regardless of how ill-advised of a trade it would be, I don't see the Packers moving him after they miraculously make the playoffs with him (again). 

Brady? At least he's a FA who you don't have to sell the farm for. But, he's 46 and would probably go to a number of different teams before he even considered us, IMO. For one thing, I imagine he's going to want an offensive coach (see the rumors about Brady and Payton wanting to team up somewhere) and we all know deep down that Saleh isn't going anywhere. Again, landing Brady feels  . . .  unrealistic (although probably not as unrealistic as Rodgers). 

So, after we waste our time discussing the fantasy options that almost definitely won't happen, it really comes down to overpaying for Carr (I'd like to include Jimmy G here but his lack of durability is a non-starter for me) OR going with a cheap option like you mentioned (Dalton, Minshew, etc.,). I could be talked into either approach, but with the latter, ZW will be closer to getting back on the field. 

Unless we can get a guy like TB12 or Rodgers then I'd much prefer we go for a short-term guy that gives us full flexibility next year.

As much as I hate the idea of "punting" on next season (with a low-end starter), I still think it's preferable to getting ourselves into a "Russell Wilson in Denver" type situation. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Im with you on Jimmy G. Always hurt, that won’t change as he ages.

Dalton,Minshew, Zach, Mayfield- kill me now.

• Upvote 2

Man, I’m just really torn on all these vet QBs.

One minute I’m all for a Carr or Jimmy G, the next I’m not.   I’d probably  be happy with Carr when it comes down to it.

He’s Kirk Cousins basically.  You can certainly win with him under center with a well rounded team, and he may even win you a game or two when he gets on a heater.  He will have some stinkers though too.

I think Carr is good but not elite and think he’s generally better than he gets credit for.  If you are a believer in DYAR/DVOA(which I am) he’s proven consistently that he’s a lot closer to the elite echelon than he is the bottom of the barrel starters.

• Upvote 2

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

One minute I’m all for a Carr or Jimmy G, the next I’m not.   I’d probably  be happy with Carr when it comes down to it.

He’s Kirk Cousins basically.  You can certainly win with him under center with a well rounded team, and he may even win you a game or two when he gets on a heater.  He will have some stinkers though too.

I think Carr is good but not elite and think he’s generally better than he gets credit for.  If you are a believer in DYAR/DVOA(which I am) he’s proven consistently that he’s a lot closer to the elite echelon than he is the bottom of the barrel starters.

I don’t love him but over over the next couple of years, Carr will likely be a Top 13 QB?

I mean, who else available to us (I don’t count Brady or Rodgers as realistic options) will be anywhere close to that?

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Im with you on Jimmy G. Always hurt, that won’t change as he ages.

Dalton,Minshew, Zach, Mayfield- kill me now.

Jimmy G absolutely CAN NOT be the guy.  We need a guy who can stay on the field.

The key this offseason is to decide if we're "going for it" or not. 

If we are, then go after TB12 or Rodgers. 

If we're not, then a guy like Andy Dalton is a professional QB and could "hold the fort" while we build up other aspects of this team (like the OL).   I'd also be open to Darnold Part Deux if he was interested.  I feel like he's a higher ceiling but potentially lower floor guy. 

It sucks to ask fans to "be patient" after all the waiting but a guy like Derek Carr feels like fool's gold.  If we could get him short-term for cheap (2 years $15M per) then I'd be interested.  But he's going to want WAY more than that.   Therefore, he belongs on the "definitely not" list, imo.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I agree that Saleh and Douglas are more than justified in signing Carr if only to steady the ship that’s taking on water because Zach busted so hard, but I hate that the reason we’d push the chips in to sign car is to save their jobs. Feels a little eh. I just don’t think Carr is all that good, I don’t think Saleh is all that good, and I think that committing resources to a guy like Carr just ends up with this staff and this roster getting exposed, especially considering we’d have to jettison players to fit Carr in.

Oh yeah, the whole thing sucks out loud. We’re bringing in a meh QB to work under a meh staff, and the primary reason we’re doing it isn’t because it’s the right move; it’s because it’s the move most likely to save the GM’s and HC’s jobs. Again, I am in no way advocating for this; it’s just the job-saving move I find least unpalatable. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Oh yeah, the whole thing sucks out loud. We’re bringing in a meh QB to work under a meh staff, and the primary reason we’re doing it isn’t because it’s the right move; it’s because it’s the move most likely to save the GM’s and HC’s jobs. Again, I am in no way advocating for this; it’s just the job-saving move I find least unpalatable. 

Actually, that’s not true. The job-saving move I would not only find not unpalatable (yes, that’s a triple negative, I am a golden god) but would actively support is trading for Jordan Love, if only because the ceiling on it is a thousand feet higher than trading for Carr, let alone Garoppolo. But the floor is also a lot lower, so I don’t think there’s any way they’ll do it. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Actually, that’s not true. The job-saving move I would not only find not unpalatable (yes, that’s a triple negative, I am a golden god) but would actively support is trading for Jordan Love, if only because the ceiling on it is a thousand feet higher than trading for Carr, let alone Garoppolo. But the floor is also a lot lower, so I don’t think there’s any way they’ll do it. 

A meh quarterback on this team likely wins ten games for a few season in a row?

At this point a massive success would be a winning season and a thunderf***ing success is two consecutive winning seasons.

I get the "nothing matters unless you're competing for a Super Bowl" philosophy, but like, I watch the games every Sunday. It's fun to be competitive. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I would like them to do something exotic and daring—trade for Love or even Trey Lance—but I totally get that they don’t have that kind of rope anymore. If they have to settle for the Honda Civic so they can get back and forth to work, then that’s what they should do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I want an extremely loud full-court press for Tom Brady. Have a little fun with it. Go YOLO. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Which QB are you referring to?  If you mean Derek Carr then I fully agree with you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

We just watched 2 years of the worst qb play imaginable. 5 if you want to include darnold.

Yes Derek carr is not a top 10 qb. He’s in the 10-15 range. I will take it all day everyday. It’s a massive upgrade.

You can still draft a mid round prospect to develop behind him and eventually replace him.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

At this point a massive success would be a winning season and a thunderf***ing success is two consecutive winning seasons.

I get the "nothing matters unless you're competing for a Super Bowl" philosophy, but like, I watch the games every Sunday. It's fun to be competitive. 

Also, just making the playoffs in the NFL is huge. The playoffs are single elimination - any team that gets in can go on a run at any time. It’s not like other sports. 

Just make the playoffs, please! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Somewhere in there is the 2023 Jets slogan to sell season tickets.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

How do you remove that motivation from the equation? I can only think of two ways and I don't like either.

They have to reset at QB. 

38 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

Why are you guys pretending like JD has a clue?  Zach is QB1 next season 

Even if it’s been true all along that Douglas is an awful GM, there’s no chance whatsoever he enters 2023 with Zach Wilson as the unquestioned QB1.  None.  No one but maybe Mike Maccagnan would be that stupid.  

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I agree completely. But I was kind of hoping that by year 3, we would be gunning for a division title and a deep playoff run, not scratching and clawing for a wildcard spot. 

• Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if it’s been true all along that Douglas is an awful GM, there’s no chance whatsoever he enters 2023 with Zach Wilson as the unquestioned QB1.  None.  No one but maybe Mike Maccagnan would be that stupid.  

I’m telling you right now.  I have been a die hard fan for 30 years.  This organization is the most inept in all of sports.  Carr, Brady, Jimmy G etc will sign with other teams and next May whoever is the new OC will be pronounced the new Messiah who will somehow know how to magically transform Zach from worst QB in the NFL to better Mahomes

28 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I made this chart to help us track where things are at. The red circle indicates our current stage in the process: 5F9E16AC-A39A-4D40-8CF0-4C440A3EC596.thumb.jpeg.6a241a5f06b45125e1318aa425d68811.jpeg

Most inept organization in all of sports with a terrible owner who is shadow GM.  Get ready for Zach in 2023.  The new OC will fix everything 

Doh.

The upside to keeping Sam would have been trading out of #2 for a boatload of picks and drafting some combination of Chase, Sewell, and/or Parsons.

Instead we are stuck with a piece of trash QB in ZW which the fanbase has already booed out of the stadium.

Things never got anywhere close to this bad with Sam or Geno.  They could at least complete routine passes.

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Doh.

The upside to keeping Sam would have been trading out of #2 for a boatload of picks and drafting some combination of Chase, Sewell, and/or Parsons.

Instead we are stuck with a piece of trash QB in ZW which the fanbase has already booed out of the stadium.

Things never got anywhere close to this bad with Sam or Geno.  They could at least complete routine passes.

Sam killed them down the stretch with two horrible turnovers.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I made this chart to help us track where things are at. The red circle indicates our current stage in the process: 5F9E16AC-A39A-4D40-8CF0-4C440A3EC596.thumb.jpeg.6a241a5f06b45125e1318aa425d68811.jpeg

In this vein, I woke up with the vision wherein Douglas and Saleh decide that all Zach Wilson really needs is a mentor who’s been through the grinder and we go into camp with a Zach Wilson and Baker Mayfield QB competition.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

On 1/2/2023 at 4:37 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Derek Carr is a massive upgrade to our QB room.

Derek Carr gets this team to 10-7.

Derek Carr is disappointment in a bottle, and we have enough of that already.

Pass.

derek carr comes here and he is instantly one of the best qbs the jets have ever had.....lol

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would like them to do something exotic and daring—trade for Love or even Trey Lance—but I totally get that they don’t have that kind of rope anymore. If they have to settle for the Honda Civic so they can get back and forth to work, then that’s what they should do. 

The jets need some stability at the QB position. Get a league average QB who can execute the offense and let the other skill position players develop. This should be a playoff team with a league average QB. While the vet is running the team the Jets should be trying to develop QBs who could eventually become franchise QB in the background (wilson, possibly draft Richardson, other young project Qb, etc.) If the team develops into a true super bowl contender and still does not have the GUY, push all the chips into the table and try to do a Stafford-like trade.