Stink or Swim

I know everyone is pissed off and disappointed but this loss yesterday cleared up a lot of things and SHOULD help with the future direction of the team. It’s not ideal and 2023 may become a lame duck season, which is not what we were expecting. Here are a few thoughts to consider.

1. KEEP both Saleh and JD. We cannot become a complete mess and scare away everyone again. This year showed some hope and improvement so if either of them is fired, it will hurt us in so many ways with perception/optics etc. The way their contracts are structured, ONE more year and last chance works out perfectly so we can move on from both after next year without it looking too bad and have an actual chance at good replacements. 

2. 2023 has a playoff mandate WITHOUT JD wasting too much money in FA on players that always suck. This is because it may be his last year as GM and he cannot destroy the cap with more terrible signings and long contracts. His horrible signings have at least had outs or have been short term so that is fine in a last ditch effort year. Hopefully his FA signings actually help next year but his batting average is atrocious with pricey free agents.

3. OC is tough. There have been moments of efficiency and good ball control offense but way too many terrible games. Is this due to OL, QB, both? If it’s a 1 shot year/last chance I’d keep MLF for continuity and so Salad has no excuses since this is his guy. Just fix the OL at all costs. This team showed how great or terrible they can be based on OL. Between really unlucky injuries and poor play, I think they should get one last shot if bolstered and healthier. 

4. Do not sign a high end vet QB. No QB could play well behind this terrible/injured OL and it seems like many QBs can when the OL is healthy. This team may be a disaster that will be going through a regime change and it makes no sense to make such a commitment at this point unless it was a shorter term deal or reasonable contract. I would honestly sign Mike White, keep Zach and find another cheap vet. As much as I hate Zach, he is JD’s big blunder and should stay as a reminder of that mistake. Keep him as a developmental #3 and let the next regime in 2024 decide what to do. If the OL functions, any decent QB can run the offense.

The defense will have to continue to play really well though. Basically, this is the mess that JD and Saleh made and need to make it work. They can make weak QBs work if the other areas are strong and we saw that. This team almost beat Buffalo and Minnesota and I’m not just referring to Mike White. The TEAM can excel in this environment. 

5. Adjust expectation for 2023. The theme is apprehension not optimism. They will either sink or swim based on this final chance year. The hopes of playoffs/Super Bowl contender team is not in the cards. They flashed that this year but many of their wins were the stars aligning earlier in the year AND great OL/running game. Maybe if they bolster that area, this team is awesome again. All I know is that an epic collapse like we just saw with so many second chances, is really serious and not something that can be taken lightly. It’s mostly on the coaches but also the players. No one is really safe and everyone will just have to ride to the occasion next year. If not, new regime change can figure it out. 

It’s a shame that we are in this situation and if it weren’t for optics or possibly moving on too soon, I would love to fire everyone including JD. His total body of work shows that he’s an average GM at best. Great in trades, terrible in FA and great or terrible in the draft. I wouldn’t be afraid to move on with lackluster results after 5 years. It’s still 1 year too soon for this and we should just let things play out so we are given all the reasons that we need to move on or to keep going with the same people.

I personally hate frequent change and that hurts progress more than anything but sometimes you have terrible GMs/coaches/players and change needs to happen. They haven’t quite used up all their good Will yet though so 1 more year and we can justifiably get away without criticism. My random vent/rant/moment of clarity is over. Back to the bushes to for me. 

• Upvote 1

Agree that we need continuity, however there have to be changes to the mentality our coaching staff brings to the field. We can't have this team ill prepared week in and week out. If we're going to keep Saleh, then he needs to adjust his philosophy. Plain and simple he needs to become more coach than friend. He also needs to hold his staff accountable. This staff has no ability at this juncture to make in game adjustments and that has to be corrected toot-sweet... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

Agree that we need continuity, however there have to be changes to the mentality our coaching staff brings to the field. We can't have this team ill prepared week in and week out. If we're going to keep Saleh, then he needs to adjust his philosophy. Plain and simple he needs to become more coach than friend. He also needs to hold his staff accountable. This staff has no ability at this juncture to make in game adjustments and that has to be corrected toot-sweet... 

100%. Their need to be a ton of internal changes with this team. It’s literally up to them to make this work. Hence the 1 final shot before we likely make a clean break with everyone. 

They fired the HC they faced yesterday after a losing skid, and he turned out to be pretty good coach.

It took awhile for Carroll to really find himself though during his time at USC.

I don’t think Woody is gonna wait 5+ years or whatever for Saleh to figure things out.

Also don’t know if:

1) Saleh is the “leader of men” he was sold as.  The PVO “player’s coach” label will stick with him until the team really turns things around.  

The team basically quit on the season after the Lions game.  

2) Knows sh-t about offense or developing QBs.  Did he just hire LaFleur and Calabrese and Benton because he knows them?  The offense has looked out of sync, weak and lifeless all year outside of the final drive in Buffalo game 1 and GW and Breece making occasional splash plays.

Andrew Luck had Arians and Clyde Christensen.

Rivers had Norv Turner.

Mahomes has Andy Reid.

For whoever the QB is gonna be, they need a real QB coach and maybe a real OC who is going to coach these guys harder and get everybody on the same page.

What is insane is this OL has more talent than it did a year ago down the stretch but it somehow playing 100x worse.

MW looked like his body was invaded by the ghost of ZW yesterday.  Looked shell shocked and indecisive, holding the ball too long, missing a ton of throws, chucking the ball up for grabs.

MW also couldn’t throw the ball more than 5 yards.  There’s no way he wasn’t impacted by the busted ribs (or flak jacket).

A healthy QB who looks like that throwing the ball wouldn’t even make an NFL practice squad.   But it doesn’t matter.  None of it does any more.

The season ended in Denver when Breece and AVT went down.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I would honestly sign Mike White, keep Zach and find another cheap vet.

And here is where you lost me. This would be the very definition of spinning their wheels and getting nowhere. They absolutely must bring in a better QB than anyone else currently on the roster, someone clearly better. Mike White has one more game to state his case, but I find it difficult to imagine resigning him unless it’s very cheap, especially if they decide not to move Zach. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

And here is where you lost me. This would be the very definition of spinning their wheels and getting nowhere. They absolutely must bring in a better QB than anyone else currently on the roster, someone clearly better. Mike White has one more game to state his case, but I find it difficult to imagine resigning him unless it’s very cheap, especially if they decide not to move Zach. 

I hear ya but who is that without making too much of a commitment knowing that it’s probably a lame duck year? That’s where I am torn. We’ve seen flashes with Mike White at least and even know he’s not the answer, he may be “good enough” to manage the offense next year with a better OL. I agree with you but I’m just confused based on this new reality that we are in. Yesterday officially put us in a bad spot as an organization.