Old Derek Carr Article

Just now, THE BARON said:

No trade clause, no ??? Isn't that still standing ??? I was wondering then why we are all talking about Carr as a possible trade deal.

his deal doesnt become guaranteed for the next 2 years until the third day after the SB or something like that. if he isnt cut in that time period its guaranteed.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

What the **** are you talking about? The Raiders are gonna cut him right after the Super Bowl. 

Yep.  My bad.  I didn't understand the fine print.  The no trade is a non issue if they dump him prior.  And I still think it is 2022.  I'm not in the new year just yet. 

• More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Carr will be cut after june 1. The cap hit will be less than $2 million.

my prediction is that Carr signs with the Bucs and Brady signs with the Raiders.

I don't see that as an option for the Raiders.  His $30M 2023 salary becomes fully fuaranteed on 2/15.  They can cut him before then for a $5.6M dead cap hit. It would cost them over $35M if they wait until June 1.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

can teams negotiate with him immediately after he's cut or do we need to wait for FA for that?

I think so, but the deal can’t be official until the new league year starts in March. So they can “agree” to a deal but he can’t become official until the league year.

Carr is (or can be) a really good QB (remember that cover 0 that got Gregg Williams fired?). I really haven't watched a ton of his games outside of when he played us, or a MNF deal. But is seems he's not capable of putting the team on his back. Raiders lost a TON of games with a big lead going into the 2nd half or 4th qtr. 

I don't know if they lost so many big leads due to Josh McDaniels (HC) going into a prevent D (that only prevents a team from winning) or if Carr just melted down over and over. I'm thinking it had more to do with Josh and their D holding a lead than anything Carr related.....but even saying that, there were times in every loss where Carr coulda gotten that critical 1st down to run out the clock and failed to do so.

I think in the end, we'd be just a disappointed with Carr as we were with Mike White yesterday. Good, but not good enough.

Next....

• Upvote 2

For the Raiders to get out from under the contract I raed he had to be dealt with cut or traded by just a few days after the super bowl.

Thus if the jets have any interest in him they better get talking with the raiders as soon as the season ends for both teams. 

Now I do not expect this to happen but it would take some pressure off douglas and saleh and such going aggressively after a vet QB immediately after the season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, August said:

Jimmy G is the better fit than Carr. 

If Carr comes here he will have to be paired with a different OC....from what I gather Carr was benched because he was missing open recievers and not checking the ball down....holding onto the ball and throwing it downfield....Jimmy G is def the better fit for MLF and this system.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, August said:

He’s the best option available that’s an actual fit that’s the problem. 

Why do you think Carr wouldn't be a good fit in this system?

I think there's a better than 50% chance MLF is let go after the season, btw. Bill Musgrave might be an interesting name to keep an eye on if he shakes free from Carolina and we do want Carr.

He has experience in shanahan system and was Carr's oc in Oakland early in his career.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Ummm... hello?  That contract gives the Raiders an out if they release him by 2/15/23.  Minimal cap damage. We've been talking about here for over a week.

yep.  that article popped up on my MSN feed and I thought it was something new with his contract.  mea culpa 

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

i guess sportrac is wrong

71931D7D-5526-4452-937D-3264370E7766.thumb.png.cd7f1e8ed27d175ba40a1d93989ab690.png

No.  I am sure Spotrac is right and I am wrong.

Although with the June 1 designation, I do no tthink the cap space is cleared until after June 1, in which case it would limit the Raiders flexibility in FA in March if they are still carrying Carr's salary.  But I could be wrong again.

5 hours ago, usanyj said:

I think so, but the deal can’t be official until the new league year starts in March. So they can “agree” to a deal but he can’t become official until the league year.

I'm pretty sure he can't be on the roster 3 days after the Super Bowl, meaning he'll be cut. I think that means he can sign immediately since he does not have to wait for his contract to expire at the start of the new league year. I'm hoping that's the case at least, I'd love to know where Carr is going before March so plans can be ironed out.

• Post of the Week 1