The 2022 Denver Broncos are a cautionary tale

August

In 2021 they went 7-10 with Teddy Bridgewater and Drew Lock. They had one of the best defenses, a solid o line and superb weapons. They just needed a QB. They hired Hackett and traded for Russell Wilson. This was enough to make them a “contender”. They floundered in 2022 because of the idea that they were a QB away with no regards to fit and no system in place. Derek Carr could be our Russell Wilson in 2023 if we go that route. We must go get the QB that “fits”. 

• Upvote 4

Well the cautionary tale is paying so many assets for wilson.  For me I could see that disaster a long ways off, wilson was fading badly with seattle.

Could carr be a bust?  Yes but so could any other QB you go after.

To me Carr is the best guy that will be available at a reasonable cost.

• Upvote 3

Broncos traded a ton for Russell Wilson and then signed him to a massive extension. Jets wouldn't have to do that with either Derek Carr or Jimmy G. That's a big difference. Carr and Jimmy G also don't bring with them the "franchise QB" tag that Russell Wilson brought to the Broncos. They are both simply above average QBs who you can win with. Wilson was brought to Denver to be the face of that franchise.

12 minutes ago, August said:

In 2021 they went 7-10 with Teddy Bridgewater and Drew Lock. They had one of the best defenses, a solid o line and superb weapons. They just needed a QB. They hired Hackett and traded for Russell Wilson. This was enough to make them a “contender”. They floundered in 2022 because of the idea that they were a QB away with no regards to fit and no system in place. Derek Carr could be our Russell Wilson in 2023 if we go that route. We must go get the QB that “fits”. 

Why do you think Carr doesn't fit? He's played well in several systems.

BTW, I think there's a good chance MLF is a goner.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well the cautionary tale is paying so many assets for wilson.  For me I could see that disaster a long ways off, wilson was fading badly with seattle.

Could carr be a bust?  Yes but so could any other QB you go after.

To me Carr is the best guy that will be available at a reasonable cost.

This is basically my take, as well. 

I agree that we are not merely a QB away (there are now major questions about this coaching staff), but we still need an upgrade at QB and Carr is among the best realistic options. 

24 minutes ago, August said:

I've been saying the same exact thing.  The Russell Wilson situation is worse than the situation we're in.  Though it feels like we're about to jump into something like that.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, August said:

Hackett is another coach elevated thru association with more capable HCs.

Saleh isn’t much different. Excellent coordinator, especially in player advocacy, but not the chess player he needs to be as HC.

• Upvote 1