Athletic report: Sources close to Harbaugh believe it’s “done deal” if he gets NFL offer

Jet Life

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Payton, imho, is probably overrated. That’s the sort of thing that happens when you’ve enjoyed having one of most productive QBs in the history of the sport as your starter for your entire career. Even with Brees, he only won more than one postseason game once in his career - the only championship in his 15 year run. 

Harbaugh did better with Colin Kaepernick. 

Payton is a great coach. Keep in mind Brees wasn’t Brees until he teamed up with Sean. 

I was at the Saints vs Jets game last year. Payton absolutely pantsed Saleh in that one with Taysom Hill as the starter. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wit said:

Is harbaugh that great, or is San Fran so well run, they are idiot proof. 

Do people not remember the 49ers before Harbaugh? They were a disaster.

Dennis Erickson, 2003-2004: 9-23

Mike Nolan, 2005-2008: 18-37

Mike Singletary, 2008-2010: 18-22

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Let's bring a veteran and experienced coach to this organization!

Get it done Brick!

woody-johnson-brick-on-call-360.jpg.f0502400091fdb4b4e7eac2982ac7218.jpg

Maybe we should have Bricks younger brother play spin the bottle on management decisions. It couldn’t hurt.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I’m not a big Payton fan. If you don’t like cheaters don’t forget about Bountygate, I haven’t. I also didn’t forget about it when Greg Williams our DC. 

The lack of outrage from the majority of players made me think it was way more common than they'd all like us to know. Still wrong, obviously. Just saying. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JonMcgraw38 said:

Payton is a great coach. Keep in mind Brees wasn’t Brees until he teamed up with Sean. 

I was at the Saints vs Jets game last year. Payton absolutely pantsed Saleh in that one with Taysom Hill as the starter. 

Brees’ last two years in San Diego included 6500+ yards, 65 comp%, and a 2:1 TD:int ratio. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Make the call Woody!

Not so sure this would be a good fit for the Jets.  He makes a big splash, kicks a few asses and then a season or two down the road, the whole neighborhood gets toxic. 

The Jets need a QB and probably don't need a new HC.  Not even Walsh or Parcells could have overcome the Jets awful QB situation. 

I would still love to have Rex back thought, so long as he is backed up by a strong GM,  I wonder how JD and Rex would coexist.  

• Ugh 2

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jets are always in tweener mode when good candidates become available.

By tweener i mean they have not given the existing coach and or gm enough time to get results and they don't have the balls to make a bold move.

We will miss out on harbaugh and payton becasue saleh has only been here two years.

We’ll be first in line when the Lions OC becomes the hot candidate next year. Trust me. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, undertow said:

I always laugh when Jets fans think we are too good for Mike McCarthy. lol

We suffer from a debilitating case of not-perfectism which is funny exactly as you say.

Like a greasy incel rejecting Scarlett Johansson because she has a freckle on her tush.

• Haha 4

Sorry - didn't the same rumors float around last year? So, we are no longer in the Payton sweepstakes but we are in for Harbaugh? IMO, he is not likable, but regardless - why would he want to come here? While Saleh is no genius, he has come a long way and has cleaned up a bunch of the problems (on D at least). We are not sure about our QB, will be drafting in the middle of the draft (or at least outside of top 10), and don't have extra picks - wouldn't he rather go to a franchise that has picks etc?

What if Harbaugh wants the GM job too? do you dump JD for an unproven GM? JD says he always answers the phone - he can choose to fire Saleh and if he can land Harbaugh and wants to, fine - but to have Woody force it after finally giving the power to JD would set the team back. Why would Harbaugh or anyone else want to come here when they know Woody is going to make the decisions.

If there were ever a time for Woody to make a once in a lifetime hire, it’s now. Write a blank check and make him the highest paid coach in football. Same goes for Sean Payton. 
Two excellent candidates.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

As I have said before, there are only a few people that know what went on inside of 1JD.  

But if Saleh thought that he had put together an adequate coaching staff, based on his and their performance over the end of the season, all or a portion of them need to be replaced.   

The Jets are not attracting any quality players here unless they overpay, and even then that may not work.  The players and their agents see a dying whale here.  By overpaying, it makes it harder to accomplish our other goals.   The best way to turn this team around is to overpay a coaching staff.   I think JD is already overpaid.    Why would Saleh think that the Jets could duplicate what the 49ers accomplished with a fraction of the offensive coaching staff?

12 minutes ago, DLJ said:

It’s not happening stop wasting your times

Nothing better to do. It’s officially the off season.  Time to debate these stupid ideas!

I’d go all in on Harbaugh.  Think the roster has enough players that would be a huge benefit. Would be perfect if we had a young QB. But give him a veteran QB to kick things off and we’re in business. 

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Nothing better to do. It’s officially the off season.  Time to debate these stupid ideas!

I’d go all in on Harbaugh.  Think the roster has enough players that would be a huge benefit. Would be perfect if we had a young QB. But give him a veteran QB to kick things off and we’re in business. 

I like the idea of Harbaugh or prominent college coaches because of their knowledge of the up and comers in both high school and college ball.  I think Carrol took advantage of that when he 1st came to Seattle.  The farther he got away from his college days the worse his drafts seem to have gotten.  Except this last one.

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I like the idea of Harbaugh or prominent college coaches because of their knowledge of the up and comers in both high school and college ball.  I think Carrol took advantage of that when he 1st came to Seattle.  The farther he got away from his college days the worse his drafts seem to have gotten.  Except this last one.

Meh. Tons of college coaches have failed miserably. I don’t think that’s any kind of advantage. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Jets are always in tweener mode when good candidates become available.

By tweener i mean they have not given the existing coach and or gm enough time to get results and they don't have the balls to make a bold move.

We will miss out on harbaugh and payton becasue saleh has only been here two years.

This should be pinned and automated as a response anytime someone asks "how is it Woody's fault?"

A bold move is needed. I say Payton over Harbaugh. If anything, Harbaugh's presence reduces the pressure of other competition bidding for Payton's services. There's so many reasons that this can work out. It's right there for the taking.

If Woody had any balls, these guys would already be negotiating the structure of the deal.

• Sympathy 1

This should be pinned and automated as a response anytime someone asks "how is it Woody's fault?"
A bold move is needed. I say Payton over Harbaugh. If anything, Harbaugh's presence reduces the pressure of other competition bidding for Payton's services. There's so many reasons that this can work out. It's right there for the taking.
If Woody had any balls, these guys would already be negotiating the structure of the deal.
Give Payton a 60mil 5 years deal.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JonMcgraw38 said:

Payton was like 8-3 with Hill as starter (I forget the exact numbers). Amazing coach