Athletic report: Sources close to Harbaugh believe it’s “done deal” if he gets NFL offer

Jet Life

14 hours ago, varjet said:

Harbaugh built the best Michigan team he is going to build, but with the academic requirements and weather there, I think he has peaked.

Its time for him to go back to the NFL.  

Isn’t the thought around it that he’s still chapped that the boosters made him take a pay cut two years ago? 

6 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

For all you Zach Beliebers I would love to see Harbaugh with Zach just for the comedy value

Daboll/Jones but upscaled 5X. Parcellian. Alas, Robert Wood Johnson IV isn't making the phone call and won't write the check. 

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

no coach of any real caliber is going to choose to coach a team with zach wilson still being considered our franchise qb of the future. the course of action should be to get a guy like car in, re-sign mike white as backup and wilson is 3rd string and cut as soon as it makes financial sense as far as the cap goes. the kid is total garbage

Many coaches wives may disagree with you.  

27 minutes ago, Coquito said:

Saleh, Douglas, LeFail, Zach... 

They'll go 6-11.

that's just about right Coquito, the Jets were once a .500 team and even split 12 playoff games right down the middle until Johnson let the forbidden subject to interfere with football, since that day in 2012 the Jets have become a team that loses twice as many games as it wins, and this current regime is right on cue with 11 and 34 after Sunday's probable loss

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Local news down here in Raleigh is talking like Harbaugh to the Panthers is almost a sure thing and if that's the case, we'll be stuck with Saleh and Douglas for another year.

We know the Panthers owner is willing to pay. 

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We know the Panthers owner is willing to pay. 

It's not so much even that Matt, but this Panthers owner knows what an experienced and successful Head Coach could mean to a team. Woody Johnson or Chris obviously have no conception of it. Hell, in 2020 the Jets had 3 names to replace Adam Gase: 1) Ex Packers HC and SB winner 1) Mike McCarthy KC Chiefs OC 2)Eric Bieniemy  coming off a 12-4 season where his QB position had 30 TD passes and only 5 INTs  and 66% Comp. OR....3) recently fired Dolphins HC Adam Gase.

How can an owner or ANYBODY for that matter look at this 3 resumes and choose Adam Gase? Whether it was Woody or his brother or his son or one of his horses' hooves that made the choice...it's inconceivable, and and has become way too typical. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, peebag said:

There's a reason why the Jets have only hired 1st time HC candidates in recent years.

Wait, what? Every Head Coach they've hired since Johnson took over has 2 of the same qualifications to go go with them 1-they have ALL been 1st time hires and 2 have all come from the defensive side of the ball with one exception. That being the WORST choice an owner has ever made to be his teams' head coach explained in the post above peebag's

• WTF? 1

9 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

For all you Zach Beliebers I would love to see Harbaugh with Zach just for the comedy value

I would love to see Harbaugh here with Jets fans just for comedy value. I'd give it to the 1st 2 game losing streak before the pitchforks and plane banners were deployed. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetsons said:

1 question... would you trade what those HC's have done with their teams with what the Jets HC's have done over the last 20 years.?

Sure - any Jets fan would, but it's not just that easy. All other things remaining the same swap those HC's with the Jets HC's and the bloom on those rose's would fade mighty fast. Everyone assumes the HC will just magically make the whole team better which is a fallacy.  

If Harbaugh had any interest in the Jets job Woody Johnson should do whatever it takes to make him the Head Coach. But he won't, so it's whatever. Having a great Head Coach is critical to any long term success of a football team. I'm not completely out on Saleh as a Head Coach, but if Harbaugh is available it doesn't matter. Kick Saleh to the curb and bring him in. But it's wishful thinking. 

We just gotta hope Saleh and Douglas make the team better next year. It is what it is. If they fail, we'll hire the next up and coming coordinator and hope he is the guy we have been waiting for.

On 1/2/2023 at 5:41 PM, talonmm said:

Many at Jet Nation continue to claim that most top coaches (ex. Parcells and Bellicheck) when having their pick of places to coach want no part of Woody.  Is this true?

Do you honestly believe anyone here actually knows anything? ????
We are a bunch of idiots who like to come here and talk out of our ass about stuff we know nothing about.

Then people who also don’t know anything argue about what we said.

I would be completely stunned (in a good way) if Harbaugh came here

Even IF Woody wasn't cheap for once and ponied up the dough to give him an upgrade from his Michigan salary, he's not gonna want to come take orders from Woody & Elhai, which is what any coach is gonna have to agree to to come here. 

That's not who Harbaugh is. Don't get your hopes up

The best thing about Harbaugh is his competitiveness.

Watch Belichick after losses and it’s a similar thing.  It’s always taken personally and it looks like he wants to kill somebody from the podium.

When he’s not in PVO mode (like this week), Saleh just looks defeated or downright somber.

The only time I’ve ever seen him get pissed off was at the media while talking “receipts”.

If the head coach is laissez-faire and ok with losing, the players feed off of that.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:56 PM, 56mehl56 said:

Not sure I'd want to restart at this point and Harbaugh is too volatile for NY , I could see that ending poorly . But if Saleh is let go , he probably would jump to the select list of replacements. I feel that move would be way over  reactionary. 

On 1/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, pointman said:

lol. Too volatile? How so? So you'd rather hold onto Saleh over Harbaugh? If bringing in Harbaugh is over reactionary, who would you want to see here if Saleh is let go?

On 1/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL "volatile"

Are we talking foreign policy or radioactive substances here?

Saleh the pacifist hasn't won jack.

Harbaugh wins football games.  He makes an instant impact.

Tom Coughlin was volatile af. Plus the NY sports tabloids had more pull & generated more pressure than today. Two rings.

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2023 at 7:35 AM, greasyt said:

If we get embarrassed this weekend, which I think we will because I believe the team is checked out, does it prompt Woody to at least make a call to Harbaugh/Payton?

FWIW, Cimini thinks the Jets lose to the Dolphins by a TD-plus. The vibes are terrible

• Upvote 1

ehUMN3j8_x96.jpg

NEWS: The Michigan football program has been under NCAA investigation & expects to receive a Notice of Allegations by Friday, source told @TheAthletic. Source says it’s relatively minor infractions but investigation also centers on the program’s response:

Share this Tweet

5 hours ago, TommyT said:

ehUMN3j8_x96.jpg

NEWS: The Michigan football program has been under NCAA investigation & expects to receive a Notice of Allegations by Friday, source told @TheAthletic. Source says it’s relatively minor infractions but investigation also centers on the program’s response:

Share this Tweet

Seems this may be why he's letting it leak that he'll take an NFL job if he gets an offer.

It's only minor (Level II) for the team. It's a Level I violation for him, basically for covering up the Level II indiscretion. In this case the cover-up is worse than the crime.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-jim-harbaugh-michigan-under-ncaa-investigation-for-potential-rules-violations-031116404.html

The Michigan football program is under NCAA investigation for numerous potential rules violations, including head coach Jim Harbaugh directly for failing to cooperate with investigators, a Level I violation, sources told Yahoo Sports.

The program is also being investigated for four Level II violations, which are generally considered minor.

They center on using too many coaches at practice sessions, meeting with two recruits during a COVID-19 dead period and watching player workouts over a video feed, according to a source.

The Level I allegation is that Harbaugh misled NCAA investigators when confronted with questions about the Level II allegations. A Level I violation could lead to significant recruiting restrictions or even a suspension for a number of games.

Harbaugh’s contract allows for the university to terminate him “for cause” if “the NCAA or the Conference, or the University reasonably determines that (i) the Head Coach has committed a material violation of a material provision of the Governing Rules (including without limitation, a Level I or Level II violation of NCAA Rules).”

To reach that standard, however, the full NCAA process, which could take months or years, would likely need to fully play out.

That's a pretty big difference between months vs. years. If it's just months, he could be out of a job this season - for cause, which likely means he doesn't get paid for the year - after all the NFL positions are settled in.

The specifics aren't identical, but isn't this - upcoming punishments soon getting handed down - pretty much why Pete Carroll left USC for his NFL return specifically at the time he did? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Cimini thinks the Jets lose to the Dolphins by a TD-plus. The vibes are terrible

If this happens then the Jets are just delaying the inevitable by holding onto this staff. Things will get ugly in a hurry next season and there'll be zero good will for either Douglas or Saleh to hold onto.

It would be malpractice if the Jets aren't putting feelers out for Payton and Harbaugh. Not that I think we'd get them even if we wanted them but if there's any indication they're there for the taking you make that move and give them all the power they need. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

If this happens then the Jets are just delaying the inevitable by holding onto this staff. Things will get ugly in a hurry next season and there'll be zero good will for either Douglas or Saleh to hold onto.

It would be malpractice if the Jets aren't putting feelers out for Payton and Harbaugh. Not that I think we'd get them even if we wanted them but if there's any indication they're there for the taking you make that move and give them all the power they need. 

There’s a bunch of Machiavellian CYA sh*t going on behind the scenes revolving around Wilson. Saleh has to spend way too much of his time and credibility catering to a bad QB, talking about him, and mollifying the locker room for him. They need to remove Wilson from the picture once and for all so they can get down to the business of moving the team forward, because the alternative is firing LaFleur, maybe Saleh, and then trying to sell the OC and/or HC job to someone with the condition that their first priority is building the program around Zach. No one in their right mind is doing that. 

• Upvote 1