Athletic report: Sources close to Harbaugh believe it’s “done deal” if he gets NFL offer

Jet Life

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There’s a bunch of Machiavellian CYA sh*t going on behind the scenes revolving around Wilson. Saleh has to spend way too much of his time and credibility catering to a bad QB, talking about him, and mollifying the locker room for him. They need to remove Wilson from the picture once and for all so they can get down to the business of moving the team forward, because the alternative is firing LaFleur, maybe Saleh, and then trying to sell the OC and/or HC job to someone with the condition that their first priority is building the program around Zach. No one in their right mind is doing that. 

If the offense looked more competent with white vs Seattle the narrative would carry more weight.  I’m now wondering if they’re going to not play him this Sunday for fear of him sucking again, which destroys what saleh has been implying all season - that wilson is the entire problem.  At least when everything was blamed on wilson the team rallied behind white.  If he then throws white under the bus his popularity will take more of a hit. 

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the offense looked more competent with white vs Seattle the narrative would carry more weight.  I’m now wondering if they’re going to not play him this Sunday for fear of him sucking again, which destroys what saleh has been implying all season - that wilson is the entire problem.  At least when everything was blamed on wilson the team rallied behind white.  If he then throws white under the bus his popularity will take more of a hit. 

That's one game on the other side of the country and White has fractured ribs.

The stats over the two years Wilson's been here are undeniable - We're much better without him. He's not the entire problem but quite clearly the biggest.

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

That's one game on the other side of the country and White has fractured ribs.

The stats over the two years Wilson's been here are undeniable - We're much better without him. He's not the entire problem but quite clearly the biggest.

These coaches are trying to preserve their jobs, and their main point is that the biggest problem is Zach wilson.  It’s not a good look if the jets finish the year starting white and don’t even score 1 td. 

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There’s a bunch of Machiavellian CYA sh*t going on behind the scenes revolving around Wilson. Saleh has to spend way too much of his time and credibility catering to a bad QB, talking about him, and mollifying the locker room for him. They need to remove Wilson from the picture once and for all so they can get down to the business of moving the team forward, because the alternative is firing LaFleur, maybe Saleh, and then trying to sell the OC and/or HC job to someone with the condition that their first priority is building the program around Zach. No one in their right mind is doing that. 

I'm really hoping this PR campaign for Zach is all just bluster - If that sentiment really exists then we're already lost. 

I actually listened to that Cimini podcast, he's a bit of a fool, kept saying we'd need to trade a first or second for Carr when he's clearly about to be released - I've always got the sense that he's a bit of a sh*t stirrer so I take everything he says with a grain of salt. 

I can't believe that Saleh or Douglas would stake their career on Zach at this point and they must know that 6-7 wins next year means they're done. There's no benefit to bringing him back beyond avoiding the cap penalty of cutting him. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I'm really hoping this PR campaign for Zach is all just bluster - If that sentiment really exists then we're already lost. 

I actually listened to that Cimini podcast, he's a bit of a fool, kept saying we'd need to trade a first or second for Carr when he's clearly about to be released - I've always got the sense that he's a bit of a sh*t stirrer so I take everything he says with a grain of salt. 

I can't believe that Saleh or Douglas would stake their career on Zach at this point and they must know that 6-7 wins next year means they're done. There's no benefit to bringing him back beyond avoiding the cap penalty of cutting him. 

Not only can’t wilson get them to the playoffs but his presence on the team is a big distraction.  

43 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Any coach will look at Wilson’s tape independent of anything else and see what everyone else sees—that he’s horrible. Only an extreme narcissist like Shanahan would even consider taking on a project like that, and even then only as a low-leverage task off the side. You’re not getting any OC with options to hitch his wagon to Wilson’s future, because it’s likely career suicide. Just ask Mike LaFleur!

What LaFleur and Saleh do have to fear from White’s flameout vs the Seahawks is that Woody will conclude that all the QBs are victims of some illusory coaching problem and that changing the coaches will fix the quarterbacks, which is obviously bunk. The first thing a Sean Payton would do here is get all new QBs. 

20 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It simply has to be bluster and CYA. The only other explanation is that Douglas has stuck his heel in the ground and said—probably correctly—their only path out of the darkness will be through getting Zach to play at a Garoppolo level as soon as possible, because the money is spent, the pick has been burned, and the QBs they’d be able to bring in aren’t worth the squeeze. It sounds a lot like Carr wants to stay on the West Coast, or he’s going to retire. Garoppolo is always hurt, so you can’t afford to burn $25 mil on him, and everyone else probably isn’t any better than a healthy Mike White. Rosenblatt did a good job breaking down the QB quandary: if they keep Zach as their #2, White walks and then (presuming Garoppolo/Carr), they’re now spending top of market at their QB spot with Zach’s $10 mil on top of Whoever’s $25+ mil, or you trade Zach, re-sign White as the #2, and hope you can dredge up a passable starter that’s better than White—and even that gets expensive with Zach’s cap hit, White’s deal, and Garoppolo’s money. Bottom line, missing on Zach really, really puts them in a bad spot, and one in which they have to ask Woody for more money to escape from…unless they just roll with Zach again.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It simply has to be bluster and CYA. The only other explanation is that Douglas has stuck his heel in the ground and said—probably correctly—their only path out of the darkness will be through getting Zach to play at a Garoppolo level as soon as possible, because the money is spent, the pick has been burned, and the QBs they’d be able to bring in aren’t worth the squeeze. It sounds a lot like Carr wants to stay on the West Coast, or he’s going to retire. Garoppolo is always hurt, so you can’t afford to burn $25 mil on him, and everyone else probably isn’t any better than a healthy Mike White. Rosenblatt did a good job breaking down the QB quandary: if they keep Zach as their #2, White walks and then (presuming Garoppolo/Carr), they’re now spending top of market at their QB spot with Zach’s $10 mil on top of Whoever’s $25+ mil, or you trade Zach, re-sign White as the #2, and hope you can dredge up a passable starter that’s better than White—and even that gets expensive with Zach’s cap hit, White’s deal, and Garoppolo’s money. Bottom line, missing on Zach really, really puts them in a bad spot, and one in which they have to ask Woody for more money to escape from…unless they just roll with Zach again.

I think the spending is very valid concern for fans but that wont be on their list of priorities. The downside of having desperate managament. They need to win now and Garoppolo/Carr are definitely the surest avenue to that even if it comes with long term compromises. I'd genuinely be stunned if one of them isn't a Jet next year - Makes a lot of sense for all sides. 

The Carr retirement stuff comes from people reading into an emotional quote from when he really expected to be a Raider for life - Sources close to him are already saying that's nonsense. He definitely favours warmer weather, the cold has been a real issue for him but again for the Jets that will be pretty low on the list of concerns and at the end of the day I think the money will talk. 

Every scenario should involve trading Zach if possible or bringing him back on the fringes of the roster as a complete afterthought. If they roll with him again I'll find something else to do on Sundays. F*ck that. 

10 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I think the spending is very valid concern for fans but that wont be on their list of priorities. The downside of having desperate managament. They need to win now and Garoppolo/Carr are definitely the surest avenue to that even if it comes with long term compromises. I'd genuinely be stunned if one of them isn't a Jet next year - Makes a lot of sense for all sides. 

The Carr retirement stuff comes from people reading into an emotional quote from when he really expected to be a Raider for life - Sources close to him are already saying that's nonsense. He definitely favours warmer weather, the cold has been a real issue for him but again for the Jets that will be pretty low on the list of concerns and at the end of the day I think the money will talk. 

Every scenario should involve trading Zach if possible or bringing him back on the fringes of the roster as a complete afterthought. If they roll with him again I'll find something else to do on Sundays. F*ck that. 

I want carr myself, but I think jets fans are likely underestimating the possibility that both carr and Jimmy g may want to play elsewhere.

There will be plenty of teams in the QB market, and despite people raving about our young talent, there are major issues here: an ownership group with a very poor reputation, New Jersey taxes, sh*tty weather, intrusive media, a DEFENSIVE coach coming off a late season collapse entering year 3 (lame duck?) and the burden being the “savior” for a historically downtrodden franchise. 

my honest prediction is that we don’t get either of the two big names people are talking about. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I want carr myself, but I think jets fans are likely underestimating the possibility that both carr and Jimmy g may want to play elsewhere.

There will be plenty of teams in the QB market, and despite people raving about our young talent, there are major issues here: an ownership group with a very poor reputation, New Jersey taxes, sh*tty weather, intrusive media, a DEFENSIVE coach coming off a late season collapse entering year 3 (lame duck?) and the burden being the “savior” for a historically downtrodden franchise. 

my honest prediction is that we don’t get either of the two big names people are talking about. 

Jimmy g possibly comes here if the money is right, he wants to be with saleh and the draw of broadway.

I do think you are right though and neither come here