Bills-Bengals

PS17

1 minute ago, Jet9 said:

I appreciate your view and comments on this. Looked like sternum hit if anything, no? 

You can get neurogenic shock from spinal injuries from the cervical area to the upper thoracic area.  I did not see the play, and kind of glad I didn't.  But I've seen a few cases of this from prior trauma experience.  

8 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

He is young and otherwise healthy...if they gave early high quality CPR and IV epinephrine to maintain some cerebral perfusion , and controlled his airway he has a chance of survival...but not a given.  Prayers for the man...

This doesn’t matter I suppose, I wasn’t watching the broadcast but did see a clip of the sequence.  Is this some sort of contact related thing with his spine etc or a blow to his chest? 

Watching the events unfold is horrific. The only time I remember hearing CPR being administered in an NFL game was to Chuck Hughes of the Lions, I think it was in 1971, and to this day, the footage of that tragedy has never been aired again. At one point, YouTube did have the Lions radio broadcast from that game, not sure if it's still up.

It appeared that the blow Higgins gave to Hamlin must have caused some type of blunt force trauma, prayers and thoughts to him and his family.

And I don't see how the league continues the game, but w/the NFL, you never know.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I hope to God this turns out to be a (of course, very real) scare, but he comes out alright from it all, and it just becomes an even greater motivation for consideration of players health in the game.

The NFL players need more security; non-guaranteed contracts are a joke in the most dangerous sport on earth. The greedy owners and Goodell need to do the right thing, for once in their lives. 

Can’t finish this game tonight although in other sports I’ve seen it. In the 2021 Euro’s Denmark were pretty much forced to finished the game when their star player almost died on the pitch after cardiac arrest.

UEFA supposedly threatened them with a 3-0 loss unless they finished it that night or the following morning but that was after news came in that he was stable. I doubt even the NFL would be so cruel. 

7 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I work in a restaurant and a few months ago this dude I was serving had a serious stroke at my table. Like eyes in the back of his head, body completely limp. Daughter frantically came to me asking to call an ambulance. I was so shook, I couldn’t even be in the room after we called 911. Thought the guy was gonna die as we were  waiting for the EMTs.

There is no way on earth you can return to playing after that. I’ve never seen a sideline of pro players crying.

I’m sorry you had to go through that.

• Upvote 2

The NFL players need more security; non-guaranteed contracts are a joke in the most dangerous sport on earth. The greedy owners and Goodell need to do the right thing, for once in their lives. 
I completely agree ... Even if salaries were lower but fully guaranteed against injury .. it would be better.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

This doesn’t matter I suppose, I wasn’t watching the broadcast but did see a clip of the sequence.  Is this some sort of contact related thing with his spine etc or a blow to his chest? 

It looked like contact to his chest possibly with a facemask. As Bitonti mentioned there have been tragedies in Lacrosse caused by chest contact at the exact wrong time.

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I coached youth sports for 10 years. Hamlin likely had Sudden Cardiac arrest, which is caused by a sudden blow to the chest when if it occurs at a certain millisecond of the heart beat, causes the heart to stop beating.  George Board, a Cornell lacrosse player, died from this condition during a game in 2004.  This tragedy resulted in medical study that found that a defibrillator administered with minutes of the injury can restart the heart. We had portable defibrillators at every game and had to be trained on their use.  I'm pretty confident that is what happened here. 

I heard he is alive, but is having trouble breathing on his own.

This makes the most sense didn't see any blows to the head or anything that would cause a spinal injury I saw a helmet to the chest.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Most commonly some 'injury' to either the cervical or upper Thoracic spinal cord.  Associated with bony injury? Usually, but just severe trauma to the right level of the spinal cord I suppose could cause neurogenic shock and cardiovascular collapse.  I didn't see it, but have a hard time explaining this any other way.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

Most commonly some 'injury' to either the cervical or upper Thoracic spinal cord.  Associated with bony injury? Usually, but just severe trauma to the right level of the spinal cord I suppose could cause neurogenic shock and cardiovascular collapse.  I didn't see it, but have a hard time explaining this any other way.  I hope I'm wrong.

He stood up after the hit.  I think it's SCA or Commotio Cordis.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

From what I saw it was a direct hit to the heart area from the WR’s helmet.  I’ve heard of rare situations where that could cause a serious to deadly heart problem.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I would have to think and hope that if he has a pulse and is breathing although with trouble that has to be at least somewhat of hopeful news.

prayers are real

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I coached youth sports for 10 years. Hamlin likely had Sudden Cardiac arrest, which is caused by a sudden blow to the chest when if it occurs at a certain millisecond of the heart beat, causes the heart to stop beating.  George Board, a Cornell lacrosse player, died from this condition during a game in 2004.  This tragedy resulted in medical study that found that a defibrillator administered with minutes of the injury can restart the heart. We had portable defibrillators at every game and had to be trained on their use.  I'm pretty confident that is what happened here. 

I heard he is alive, but is having trouble breathing on his own.

This is my thought as well just not educated to put the way you did thank you.

Just now, Jet9 said:

"Any decisions will come from New York and Goodell...". Blah blah blah.

I think I'd take the forfeit, to be honest. 

I think McDermott and Taylor are going to decide what they're doing, and not give a sh*t what Goodell says either way.

That was made clear when after the "5 minute" announcement was made, Taylor just walking straight over to McDermott, which was the exact right thing to do.

• Upvote 1