Bills-Bengals

PS17

8 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Thankfully they didn’t show any of the medical treatment on tv. 

That's what the players & coaches witnessed which was why I believe they were so emotional.. if you never really witnessed actual lifesaving measures in person it can be pretty traumatic. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Been thinking this all night. Hoping for good news but an update with great news would have been amazing. I prayed for him, will continue to do so.

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

I know he’s not out of the woods yet but I just wanted to pass this along 

F1B88701-7F64-4916-BB1F-D2045595D268.png

I went to the Bills forums figuring they'd have more information. I've held an opinion that all fanbases are mostly equal, but sometimes it helps that people running the communities are good people. The guy who owns the equivalent of this place for the Bills (twobillsdrive.com) is spending his time calling other Bills fans stupid for donating to Hamlin's charity and throwing their money away. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 6
  • More Ugh 3

2 hours ago, celtasnake said:

Word is based on the speed of the first aide aide he received and the nature of the medical crisis that there is optimism, physiologically speaking. No idea what this means for his mental faculties (yet) but it’s we’re trending in the right direction 

• Upvote 3

Late to seeing all this stuff I really hope this is not some COVID vaccine side effect stuff as some have suggested. That being said, last I last saw posted by his friend and marketing guy on twitter was he was breathing on his own again and recovering which is very good news. When he fell down he was lifeless. It looked as bad as it possibly could have. I mean I thought the worst.

Not sure about all the timing of stopping the game etc. I mean people see guys go out on stretchers and ambulances during the games, just to go on, I suspect it was a case of no one knew what to do. 

It is great to see people donate and do whatever gesture they like to make some sort of positive effect. Despite if you think it does any good, sometimes just doing something is better than nothing. And I hope this young man recovers.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Apparently it was Cardiac Arrest - Makes sense. Heartbeat restored on field. Still not out of the woods but the fact that he is alive and stable is great news. I guess the important part moving forward is, how long did it take to restore his heartbeat? Will make a huge difference in how he recovers.

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

They told the players to take 5 and resume the coaches said **** off, the NFL dropped the ball luckily the people in the building didn’t they made the right call right there when they pulled their guys off the field, that was against the NFL’s wishes it was stated on the telecast.

Watching joe burrow dutifully starting to warm up was horrible. 

• Upvote 1

Probably the scariest moment I’ve seen since the Shazier incident. Just awful. Feel for Tee Higgins as well. ESPN did a great job handling the situation specifically Salters and McFarland. 

NFL about to be in unchartered waters with how they handle the AFC playoffs. Don’t know what they’ll do. they had a Covid plan in 2020 if it caused them to miss games. Only thing I’m sure of is they’re  gonna do something dumb. 

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Wrong. The average Human has a 7-10 minute oxygen surplus in their Hemoglobin, thus the entire point of MICCR. It's why Intubation is typically done on the third round of Meds for Arrest (Epi/Atropine). An elite athlete probably has an even better VO2. So no, unless they forgot to intubate and he wasn't breathing spontaneously for an extended period, anoxic brain injury is the last thing we're worried about. 

So anyway, good talk, Doc.

My point was that your statement that there is 99.9% chance he is going to be fine is a bit cavalier. Granted, he is a professional athlete and he  received immediate care. So I agree his chances are better than the average person. However,  the national average survival rate after CPR in the field (out of hospital) is 5-15%. Since he received immediate professional care maybe closer to 20-25% for him. Let’s pray and hope for the best.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

To those fighting in this thread, kindly knock it off.

Just walk away. Good grief.

Glad I chose sleep before the thread turned into trash.

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thank you. 

So proud of this community. Can't imagine berating people for giving to a charitable cause. 

? Good on you for setting the tone. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, undertow said:

Social media and ESPN hot take shows has turned people into emotional infants....some of you dudes are embarrassing in here just go on Twitter or go watch ESPN embarrass themselves and let this thread be for information.

Spot on.

Social media is all about look at me and I am the first to have this news. Just a cesspool of a large population of humanity.

Add in the majority of media outlets spewing their garbage and you just sit back and wonder how it all went to sh_t.

Within pages concern over a young man fighting for his life turned into keyboard battles. Just unreal.

I will say though that I felt some of the ESPN folks handled this as best as they could and were professional.

Have to call out Ryan Clark specifically. This young man showed a nation who might not be familiar with him what a smart forthcoming man he is.

I have always been a fan of him and stated in previous threads over the years that I wanted him to be part of the JETS org in some type of management role.

NFL or other sport teams would be very smart to have this young man as part of their leadership/management teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

59 minutes ago, Barkus said:

My point was that your statement that there is 99.9% chance he is going to be fine is a bit cavalier. Granted, he is a professional athlete and he  received immediate care. So I agree his chances are better than the average person. However,  the national average survival rate after CPR in the field (out of hospital) is 5-15%. Since he received immediate professional care maybe closer to 20-25% for him. Let’s pray and hope for the best.

Agreed, but ROSC rates are for all populations, regardless of context. 

• Upvote 1

One Dr I just watched on TV said it looks like the hit put his heart into fribulation <sp> where the heart quivers instead of it's  normal pumping motion which in about 6 seconds would cause his blood pressure  to drop to zero. It was consistent  with what happened on the field.  He got up about 2 seconds after the hit and then 3 seconds later just collapsed. In situations like this they might be cooling the body in the hospital which would mean we will not know anything for minimally another 24 hours but it could be days before they wake him up. He also said he has passed a huge hurtle which is he made it to the hospital alive. 

9 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I was actually just thinking about this.  The greatest concern is of course Hamlin, but you have to really hope for the best of Higgins too.  There's no way he can't be having a very tough time right now, I cannot even imagine being in his shoes and no idea how anyone could handle that at this point.  Hopefully the team, his family, and whoever else are there for him.

Hopefully more than anything Hamlin comes out of this alright, and that will have a significant positive impact on a lot of people if so.

Higgins could face the same issues as did Scott Merserau was when Dennis Byrd broke his neck slamming into his chest.  The QB moved up in the pocket and the two of them were heading head-on into each other.  I will never forget that moment.  

11 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I saw some of the most despicable crap of all time on Twitter last night pinning this on "the vax". I can't wait for mass extinction of the human race.

I've been hearing this a lot unfortunately. Everyone blaming any ailments or injuries that happen to them on the vaccine as if they had no health issues prior to covid or would not ever have any ailments in the future if not for the vaccine. It's nonsense, why not blame the vaccines we received as children for polio, measles, mumps, rubella for any future problems we have too?

Football is dangerous and from what I saw, he took blunt force to the chest. I'm no doctor, but any shot to the chest can affect your heart I would think. Just like a shot to the head affects your brain. This is a sad situation and I feel so bad for this kid. He's playing a game he loves for our entertainment and this happens.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I've been hearing this a lot unfortunately. Everyone blaming any ailments or injuries that happen to them on the vaccine as if they had no health issues prior to covid or would not ever have any ailments in the future if not for the vaccine. It's nonsense, why not blame the vaccines we received as children for polio, measles, mumps, rubella for any future problems we have too?

Football is dangerous and from what I saw, he took blunt force to the chest. I'm no doctor, but any shot to the chest can affect your heart I would think. Just like a shot to the head affects your brain. This is a sad situation and I feel so bad for this kid. He's playing a game he loves for our entertainment and this happens.

My point wasn't really to get into any of that. It's more about opportunism. This was a tragic event, and like all events, it seems people from all walks of life and viewpoints see stuff like this as their chance to make noise, no matter how irrelevant. Social media is a cancer on society. 

There's far few people in this world who don't know when to just STFU.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Barkus said:

he had medical attention within 1 minute from professionals.  his odds are probably pretty close to what would be the case in the hospital.

also i believe your 5-15% number does not account for age and heath status.