Bills-Bengals

PS17

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

This would be the most now thing ever

Remember when Minnesota Vikings player Korey Stringer died in Training Camp? It wasn't a game, but still, a player died in front of his teammates from heat stroke. It was training camp, but the player died in front of his teammates. Did Minnesota cancel their pre-season game? I don't believe they did. I looked it up and it was originally meant to be Vikings at Saints on August 9th, and it was moved to August 11th. They moved a pre-season game up 2 days after the Vikings watched a teammate of theirs die on the field. Imagine if there was social media then? NFL would have got cancelled. I'm sick of cancel culture and the way it appears society is becoming soft. 80's kids compared to todays kids is night and day. Most people probably don't even know a Detroit Lions player (Chuck Hughes) died on the field in a game on October 24,1971 against the Dick Butkus lead Chicago Bears. Damar Hamlin is still alive right now due to the amazing medical personnel on the field that night for both teams. We've made strides in the game for player safety. Damar Hamlin is getting the best care he can receive at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. When I see people like Bomani Jones talking about canceling the game and even wondered if the Bills would be able to play on Sunday it just makes me shake my head?! Are you kidding me?  To me you have to play that game for the integrity of the schedule. This was not 9/11, and even then not one game was missed. The league took a week off and moved everything out 1 week. That's what has to happen. Play the Bills at Cincinnati the week after week 18 by delaying the playoffs for 1 week. Make that weekend all about Damar Hamlin and discussing player safety and how far we've come in this game protecting these players. The NFL is walking on eggshells now because they're afraid they'll look bad if they play that game.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, neckdemon said:

because rare outcomes happen sometimes....RARELY (hence why they are called rare) but there is a non zero chance that these things can happen. and....wouldn't you know it??? on rare occasions THEY DO!! it's a sad outcome, that thankfully RARELY happens. 

Could have had an undetected heart condition

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Remember when Minnesota Vikings player Korey Stringer died in Training Camp? It wasn't a game, but still, a player died in front of his teammates from heat stroke. It was training camp, but the player died in front of his teammates. Did Minnesota cancel their pre-season game? I don't believe they did. I looked it up and it was originally meant to be Vikings at Saints on August 9th, and it was moved to August 11th. They moved a pre-season game up 2 days after the Vikings watched a teammate of theirs die on the field. Imagine if there was social media then? NFL would have got cancelled. I'm sick of cancel culture and the way it appears society is becoming soft. 80's kids compared to todays kids is night and day. Most people probably don't even know a Detroit Lions player (Chuck Hughes) died on the field in a game on October 24,1971 against the Dick Butkus lead Chicago Bears. Damar Hamlin is still alive right now due to the amazing medical personnel on the field that night for both teams. We've made strides in the game for player safety. Damar Hamlin is getting the best care he can receive at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. When I see people like Bomani Jones talking about canceling the game and even wondered if the Bills would be able to play on Sunday it just makes me shake my head?! Are you kidding me?  To me you have to play that game for the integrity of the schedule. This was not 9/11, and even then not one game was missed. The league took a week off and moved everything out 1 week. That's what has to happen. Play the Bills at Cincinnati the week after week 18 by delaying the playoffs for 1 week. Make that weekend all about Damar Hamlin and discussing player safety and how far we've come in this game protecting these players. The NFL is walking on eggshells now because they're afraid they'll look bad if they play that game.

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

I am not suggesting this is the correct answer but what is the effect if the Bills/Bengals game is called a tie?

I only even remotely put that out there because it is a possibility that had that game been played to completion - that could have been a possible result.

Just now, Coquito said:

You have to give a W to the Bengals, then. 

That also brings up an interesting question - is there anything in the NFL playbook/rules that stipulates what happens if a game is started - unable to complete and unable to reschedule following a suspension?

I am going to guess no - but curious

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

is it fair to the rest of the teams in the playoffs if the bills & bengals get what essentially amounts to a week 17 bye-week? Granted, an awful, traumatic bye-week, but still.

Nope, it's not. You are 100% correct. 

There's basically nothing that would be entirely fair for everyone. I presume the fairest solution would have been to resume the game this Thursday night and then move Cincy/Baltimore and NE/Buffalo to Monday night, although that would still mean that as many as 4 playoff teams would be playing wildcard games on short weeks following two games within 4 days. Probably not realistic. Once this happened, it was never going to be totally fair, regardless. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The one where they allow tackling 

God help me I’m now in a goofy discussion with TWO people

you were in a goofy discussion with yourself bro....unfortunately for us you just so happened to go ahead transcribe it into a post on this forum. the reasons for which are bewildering to those who have had to endure it. thank you though because we are all now dumber for having read it

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

I agree. Even as a Bills fan some of the stuff going on leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Even small stuff like Orlovsky praying live on air. I think in times like this a sort of oneupmanship happens where people try to show they're more upset than everyone else. I saw the Skip Bayless segment yesterday and nearly puked at his attempts to show how upset he was, constantly sniffing (which may have been the coke) and shaking his head. 

I think cancel culture has made people in the media not just terrified of saying the wrong thing but, in situations like this, of not appearing distraught enough. 

I agree with you. 

Side note: I think it's funny that you're a Bills fan with this as your profile pic - lol.

image.png.d56699b076773ae8decb1c8623360e2e.png

19 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Could have had an undetected heart condition

19 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I listened to a doctor saying how rare it is for an adult to have commotio cordis happen. He said commotio cordis usually happens with children whose chest muscles aren't fully developed. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c42a0c851388c56565ac896de5e923b5.jpeg

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

There is absolute truth to the progressive softening since Cavemen times.  Look at the WWII generation compared to the Boomers, compared to Gen X, compared to Millennials, compared to Gen Z ... 

I think the question becomes ... is this a compassionate elevated societal culture, or a bunch of Jelly Bellies.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

At the end of the day it's just a ******* game. If its canceled who gives a sh*t. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

I agree. Even as a Bills fan some of the stuff going on leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Even small stuff like Orlovsky praying live on air. I think in times like this a sort of oneupmanship happens where people try to show they're more upset than everyone else. I saw the Skip Bayless segment yesterday and nearly puked at his attempts to show how upset he was, constantly sniffing (which may have been the coke) and shaking his head. 

I think cancel culture has made people in the media not just terrified of saying the wrong thing but, in situations like this, of not appearing distraught enough.