2023 Draft - 1st Round TYREE WILSON - DE Texas Tech

RJIII

If indeed the JETS draft 13th or higher, don't make ANOTHER mistake by not drafting a franchise changing player in Tyree Wilson, DE Texas Tech. This organization is ill equipped to make these decisions on their own so I'm helping out yet AGAIN! Royally ****ed up taking Jamal Adams over MAHOMES II, don't do it again. You were told over an over then and I'm telling you now! 

1st Team ALL AMERICAN - absolute beast and unblock-able at DW/Rush...

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RJIII said:

If indeed the JETS draft 13th or higher, don't make ANOTHER mistake by not drafting a franchise changing player in Tyree Wilson, DE Texas Tech. This organization is ill equipped to make these decisions on their own so I'm helping out yet AGAIN! Royally ****ed up taking Jamal Adams over MAHOMES II, don't do it again. You were told over an over then and I'm telling you now! 

We drafted a better guy last year in Jermaine Johnson. No thanks. Get offense, preferably OLINE, RB, QB, WR.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, RJIII said:

Sauce, Wilson and JJ say what? 

• Upvote 3

The Jets need to draft an olinemen with their first pick in the draft. They need to address two area of needs on the oline, they need a Tackle and a Center. I can't put my trust on Becton again, so he should be moved to the Guard position. The Jets need to get a young Center and McGovern is fading fast during games. This is the area of need at the moment!!!! Our QB who ever that may be, can't be running for his dear life on every snap. 

For the second pick, the Jets need to address the LB position (either ILB or OLB)

• Upvote 4

So we’re going back to the Mac/Rex school of drafting dts in the first round?  Hasn’t it been shown that dline is better taken in the later rounds and oline in the higher rounds?  The jets need oline especially if becton can’t go. They at least need a center and a guard.

I mean I dunno.  I like JJ a lot.  Is it possible to like JJ and still want another high end pass rusher?  The strategy worked for the Giants back in the day with Strahan/Osi and JPP/Tuck.  If you think the kid will be a star, I don't have a problem with it.....but you better hit.

That said, I'd have to be pretty freaking confident in this kid panning out to take him over an OT.  It's just such a glaring need, and this seems like the right year to invest a 1st into the OL.  I suppose if there are a couple of kids you think could be quality OT's who could be had in the 2nd, it should open up some wiggle room to get creative in the 1st.  We shall see though.  

50 minutes ago, AL047 said:

The Jets need to draft an olinemen with their first pick in the draft. They need to address two area of needs on the oline, they need a Tackle and a Center. I can't put my trust on Becton again, so he should be moved to the Guard position. The Jets need to get a young Center and McGovern is fading fast during games. This is the area of need at the moment!!!! Our QB who ever that may be, can't be running for his dear life on every snap. 

For the second pick, the Jets need to address the LB position (either ILB or OLB)

Who’s your center heading into the draft?

You’re drafting a center at #13 overall if that’s where the pick ends up? What if no center is worthy of the #13 pick and/or a FAR better prospect falls to 13. Then a center in round 2? What if the one you want is off the board? Just figure anyone Douglas drafts in any pick slot is an upgrade over McGovern?

JMO but the time to draft a center is when there’s already one in place. They’re unworthy of picks too high, when there are needs at higher value positions, and a team can’t have a hole in the middle of its OL praying for a match of an instantly-good prospect who’s just sitting there when it’s our pick. Great if it happens but I hate relying on luck as a strategy. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You’re drafting a center at #13 overall if that’s where the pick ends up? What if no center is worthy of the #13 pick and/or a FAR better prospect falls to 13. Then a center in round 2? What if the one you want is off the board? Just figure anyone Douglas drafts in any pick slot is an upgrade over McGovern?

JMO but the time to draft a center is when there’s already one in place. They’re unworthy of picks too high, when there are needs at higher value positions, and a team can’t have a hole in the middle of its OL praying for a match of an instantly-good prospect who’s just sitting there when it’s our pick. Great if it happens but I hate relying on luck as a strategy. 

This is pretty much how I feel. McGovern coming back (or a different vet FA) is probably the best strategy to shore up the C position for next year.

JMHO. 

Draft OT, WR, Edge, maybe even LB or G/T if an elite guy is there. These are all positions where the Jets might let guys walk to free up cap and/or choose to not re-sign critical FAs.  Fant, Herbig, Alexander, Quincy are FAs. Berrios, Davis, Tomlinson, Mosley, Lawson are potential cap casualties. If you are going to replace any of them by investing in a 'plug and play' early round prospect, it should, IMO, be an OT, WR or Edge. Followed by OG and LB. Not a Center. Draft a Center late and develop him under a vet starter.   

12 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is pretty much how I feel. McGovern coming back (or a different vet FA) is probably the best strategy to shore up the C position for next year.

JMHO. 

Draft OT, WR, Edge, maybe even LB or G/T if an elite guy is there. These are all positions where the Jets might let guys walk to free up cap and/or choose to not re-sign critical FAs.  Fant, Herbig, Alexander, Quincy are FAs. Berrios, Davis, Tomlinson, Mosley, Lawson are potential cap casualties. If you are going to replace any of them by investing in a 'plug and play' early round prospect, it should, IMO, be an OT, WR or Edge. Followed by OG and LB. Not a Center. Draft a Center late and develop him under a vet starter.   

I could be on board with drafting a center & not re-signing McGovern, but they'd need a serious veteran replacement who wouldn't be an omg tragedy if he has to start the whole season.

It's bad draft strategy to head into it with a specific must-get need, especially when not armed with a top-3ish pick in the first place. The alternative, as I said, is to blindly employ luck as the strategy for the upcoming season. So maybe a center into his 30s who has 1 more year in him but won't require the same major investment of 2 fully guaranteed yrs (at $13MM/yr or so) that McGovern could/would command.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I could be on board with drafting a center & not re-signing McGovern, but they'd need a serious veteran replacement who wouldn't be an omg tragedy if he has to start the whole season.

It's bad draft strategy to head into it with a specific must-get need, especially when not armed with a top-3ish pick in the first place. The alternative, as I said, is to blindly employ luck as the strategy for the upcoming season. So maybe a center into his 30s who has 1 more year in him but won't require the same major investment of 2 fully guaranteed yrs (at $13MM/yr or so) that McGovern could/would command.

Any good Centers or Right Guards available in FA?

Unless the Jets are confident a first round Center or Guard would be a stud, I’d reserve the first round for another WR, LT, or QB - the 3 premium positions we haven’t filled.  

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is fair but I still don't think that means you bring back McGovern.  He already makes more than he's worth, IMO.  I'd rather take a flier on a guy you think COULD be a decent starter if given the opportunity.  Between that guy and the kid you draft, odds should be in your favor that you walk away with a decent center in '23. 

I'm all in on the strategy of going LT in the 1st, LB in the 2nd, and then either staying put and drafting C in the 3rd or moving back up into the late 2nd if you see the position start to thin.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, RJIII said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

6 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Unless the Jets are confident a first round Center or Guard would be a stud, I’d reserve the first round for another WR, LT, or QB - the 3 premium positions we haven’t filled.  

Isaac Seumalo from Philly and Nate Davis from the Titans are prob the two top options.  Seumalo will probably be more expensive - maybe around $10M, but both IMO are very good options.  

I'm not against drafting another DE. My focus would be OT, DE and WR.

Both Carl Lawson and Franklin Myers are either going to be cap casualties or playing on an expiring deal going into next season. Despite their play being average to above average their price tag will still be on the high-end due to the demand at the position. For cap purposes I wouldn't be against targeting a DE. Huff and Clemons are both reserve edge players. Having Johnson and a promising rookie opposite him on their rookie deal for the next four seasons would do wonders for the cap. 

I don't know who this Texas Tech guy is but I know Verse out of FSU looks to be a great one.

Left tackles Johnson, OSU  and Duncan, Maryland are two prospects I would target over DE. As Lawson/Franklin-Myers are still under contract, young and serviceable but you can't say the same for Brown and Fant. 

19 hours ago, RJIII said:

Trade down and take Tanner McKee late in the first round and use the extra picks to shore up the OL.

NOTHING else matters other than the QB spot.  The rest is BS.

McKee would be absolutely ideal for LeFleur's west cost system.  His strengths are timing and ball placement to go along with a strong arm and very good ball velocity. 

He may need time on the bench, but with good coaching, McKee would be ideal

Let's see if JD is as smart as I am...

Oh no !!! Now I've done it.   If he reads this, he will break me like pretzel. 

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

We need another stud Wr too.  FA is too expensive for this position, needs to be in the first 2 rounds.  

Premium position over guard or center.  

No problem with a TALL Red Zone receiver if there is one when we pick in the 1st round, I'm not opposed to OL/LB/S in the other rounds. We just need an OL that can play together for 2-4 years... Tired of mixing and matching and injuries, although I know they happen.

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

"Good" is a relative term.

"Usable for one year without it being the offense's downfall?" is a better question lol.

Check 'em out: 

;) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

This is fair but I still don't think that means you bring back McGovern.  He already makes more than he's worth, IMO.  I'd rather take a flier on a guy you think COULD be a decent starter if given the opportunity.  Between that guy and the kid you draft, odds should be in your favor that you walk away with a decent center in '23. 

I'm all in on the strategy of going LT in the 1st, LB in the 2nd, and then either staying put and drafting C in the 3rd or moving back up into the late 2nd if you see the position start to thin.

Also fair, right back at you.

I just object to the idea of "draft a center" as the strategy for 2023. You don't know who'll be available & if any of them will be starter-worthy as rookies (if not actual busts outright), and by the time the team realizes it's too late to start shopping for a veteran center in August...or even in May.

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

So we’re going back to the Mac/Rex school of drafting dts in the first round?  Hasn’t it been shown that dline is better taken in the later rounds and oline in the higher rounds?  The jets need oline especially if becton can’t go. They at least need a center and a guard.

Wilson is a defensive end, not a defensive tackle. Definitely hasn’t been shown it’s better to draft DL late and OL early. And they absolutely shouldn’t be taking a guard or center if they’re picking thirteenth.

• 1 month later...