Extremely Early Mock Offseason

bonkertons

Let Walk:

Fant, McGovern, Rankins, Flacco, Feeney, Joyner, White, Alexander, Curry, Shephard

Re-Sign:

Zeurlein, Herbig, Ogbuehi, Thomas, Quincy Williams, Jeff Smith, Huff 

Cut:

Mosley(17M), Lawson(15M), Davis(10.5M), Brown(10M), Berrios(5M) = $57.5M free

Sign:

Andy Dalton, QB, 35 - NO:  $6M range

Lavonte David, LB, 33 - TB:  $10M range

Jordan Poyer, FS, 31 - BUF: $10M range

Nate Davis, RG, 26 - TEN;  $7M range

Mack Hollins, WR, 29 - LV:  $6M range

Zach Allen, DT, 26 - ARI:  $6M range

TOTAL in UFA Spending:  $45M

Draft:

1(12):  Paris Johnson, LT - Ohio State

2(44):  Drew Sanders, LB - Arkansas

3(76):  Best Available Center(JM Schmitz, Minny; Jared Patterson, ND; Luke Wypler, Ohio State)

4(108): Jacob Slade, DT - Michigan State

5(140): Clayton Tune, QB - Houston

6 - TRADED to JAX

7(204): Tayvion Robinson, WR/KR/PR - Virginia Tech

Mock Depth Chart for 2023:

QB: Dalton; Z Wilson; Tune

RB: Hall; Knight; Carter; Johnson

WR1: G Wilson; Mims; Smith

WR2: Hollins; Moore; Robinson

TE: Uzomah; Conklin; Ruckert

LT: P Johnson; Ogbuehi

LG: AVT; Tomlinson

C : Patterson(draft pick); Herbig

RG: Davis; Herbig

RT: Becton; Mitchell

DE: JFM; Clemons

DT: Quinnen; Thomas

DT: Allen; Slade

DE: J Johnson; Huff

LB: Quincy

LB: David; Sherwood

LB: Sanders

CB1: Sauce; Echols; Hardee

CB2: Reed; Carter III; Hall

FS: Poyer; Adams

SS: Whitehead; Davis

K: Zuerlein

P: Mann/undrafted FA

Is this good enough to compete next year?  Would the FO ever consider going with a name as un-sexy as Dalton after the year that was THIS QB fiasco?  Financially I think it works.  Things will be tight but doable, and then the following year you'll have some wiggle room with about $27M free from cutting JFM and Tomlinson(although edge could also be a big need by then, depending how JJ and Clemons develop).  Add $5M from Zach if we go that route.  Should help cover the vast majority of Quinnen's raise.  Plus David's contract will most likely not be too long considering his age.  We shouldn't be locked into anything too damning.  

Again, nothing too sexy, just patching the holes and hopefully another strong draft.  Make or break year for Zach and if he's not the guy, the hope is Dalton gets you to the playoffs and we take another crack at QB in the '24 draft.

• Upvote 2

I basically like your plan as for who you retained and who you dumped.   You will get push back on the Dalton move but if we do not get a big time QB he is in the list of 2nd tier guys we should pursue.

I like most of your draft picks as well.

One guy in your plan I am not much a fan of is hollins.  The games I've seen the commentators talk him up a lot and then he does not make plays.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I basically like your plan as for who you retained and who you dumped.   You will get push back on the Dalton move but if we do not get a big time QB he is in the list of 2nd tier guys we should pursue.

I like most of your draft picks as well.

One guy in your plan I am not much a fan of is hollins.  The games I've seen the commentators talk him up a lot and then he does not make plays.

lol funny you say that actually, because my gut was to go with a guy like Julio Jones or AJ Green.  Veterans with size who can slot into that #2 spot for the short term.  Buy us a year or two and we can either spend a high draft pick on one in '24 or sign one of the top guys.  I'd feel better about committing a high pick or big money into one AFTER we solve the OL needs and whatever holes we have left on D.  I know they aren't what they once were, but we have plenty of youth at the position.  I think a veteran like that could be a nice change of pace, especially Jones who has been on some winning teams in the past.  

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to keeping Davis though, tbh.  Of all the cuts he's the one guy I can go either way on.  Only one more year on his contract.  I know his health is a concern but I think with a consistent OL and running game, he could actually be a pretty valuable asset.  

• Upvote 1

The good moments by davis are just too far and in between for me.  I think we an get a decent WR who is not quite as long in the tooth as green or julio.  Looking at the FA list there are a number of possibilities.

I also would not be too alarmed at going with what we have.   I would even actually consider a Wr with our 1st round pick.  (Though i have always been a build the oline first kind of guy.)

How much are you spending on the re-signings? Cap space plus cuts minus signings leaves $27-28M to cover the draft class and those guys.

I feel like I’m missing something but someone like Brissett is more interesting to me as a bridge than Dalton.

• Upvote 1

Nice effort bonkertons, but ..... I don't love it. 

QB - I'm actually ok rolling with Dalton

Your starting offense has only 10 players so you need to add a FB, 2nd TE or 3rd WR

I don't like Hollins as a fit for what the offense likes in their WRs

I can't go into the draft hoping that the OL lands 2 starters, that's how you wind up reaching for people

Instead of Zach Allen, I'd try to bring back Rankins on a similar deal. At least the staff knows what its getting with Rankins. 

Spending the $ on a long in the tooth Lavonte David isn't going to make a big difference on the defense. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Nice effort bonkertons, but ..... I don't love it. 

QB - I'm actually ok rolling with Dalton

Your starting offense has only 10 players so you need to add a FB, 2nd TE or 3rd WR

I don't like Hollins as a fit for what the offense likes in their WRs

I can't go into the draft hoping that the OL lands 2 starters, that's how you wind up reaching for people

Instead of Zach Allen, I'd try to bring back Rankins on a similar deal. At least the staff knows what its getting with Rankins. 

Spending the $ on a long in the tooth Lavonte David isn't going to make a big difference on the defense. 

Bold is very hard to execute when doing this kind of exercise because it’s appealing to just fill everything, but it is highly accurate. Agree on Hodges too, though it is fair to wonder if this offense is sticking around.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Let Walk:

Fant, McGovern, Rankins, Flacco, Feeney, Joyner, White, Alexander, Curry, Shephard

Re-Sign:

Zeurlein, Herbig, Ogbuehi, Thomas, Quincy Williams, Jeff Smith, Huff 

Cut:

Mosley(17M), Lawson(15M), Davis(10.5M), Brown(10M), Berrios(5M) = $57.5M free

Sign:

Andy Dalton, QB, 35 - NO:  $6M range

Lavonte David, LB, 33 - TB:  $10M range

Jordan Poyer, FS, 31 - BUF: $10M range

Nate Davis, RG, 26 - TEN;  $7M range

Mack Hollins, WR, 29 - LV:  $6M range

Zach Allen, DT, 26 - ARI:  $6M range

TOTAL in UFA Spending:  $45M

Draft:

1(12):  Paris Johnson, LT - Ohio State

2(44):  Drew Sanders, LB - Arkansas

3(76):  Best Available Center(JM Schmitz, Minny; Jared Patterson, ND; Luke Wypler, Ohio State)

4(108): Jacob Slade, DT - Michigan State

5(140): Clayton Tune, QB - Houston

6 - TRADED to JAX

7(204): Tayvion Robinson, WR/KR/PR - Virginia Tech

Mock Depth Chart for 2023:

QB: Dalton; Z Wilson; Tune

RB: Hall; Knight; Carter; Johnson

WR1: G Wilson; Mims; Smith

WR2: Hollins; Moore; Robinson

TE: Uzomah; Conklin; Ruckert

LT: P Johnson; Ogbuehi

LG: AVT; Tomlinson

C : Patterson(draft pick); Herbig

RG: Davis; Herbig

RT: Becton; Mitchell

DE: JFM; Clemons

DT: Quinnen; Thomas

DT: Allen; Slade

DE: J Johnson; Huff

LB: Quincy

LB: David; Sherwood

LB: Sanders

CB1: Sauce; Echols; Hardee

CB2: Reed; Carter III; Hall

FS: Poyer; Adams

SS: Whitehead; Davis

K: Zuerlein

P: Mann/undrafted FA

Is this good enough to compete next year?  Would the FO ever consider going with a name as un-sexy as Dalton after the year that was THIS QB fiasco?  Financially I think it works.  Things will be tight but doable, and then the following year you'll have some wiggle room with about $27M free from cutting JFM and Tomlinson(although edge could also be a big need by then, depending how JJ and Clemons develop).  Add $5M from Zach if we go that route.  Should help cover the vast majority of Quinnen's raise.  Plus David's contract will most likely not be too long considering his age.  We shouldn't be locked into anything too damning.  

Again, nothing too sexy, just patching the holes and hopefully another strong draft.  Make or break year for Zach and if he's not the guy, the hope is Dalton gets you to the playoffs and we take another crack at QB in the '24 draft.

I'd rather lacerate my ***** than watch Andy Dalton start here next year.

Mack Hollins is worse than a JAG and has no place in our WR room. The fact that you have him as WR2 starting over Elijah Moore is ridiculous, Moore was stymied by crap QB play and an inept OC who rather scheme to Berrios for some god forsaken reason. Thats coming from someone who thought Moore acted like a petulant child and should have been benched..... he's  still leagues ahead of Mack Hollins. This has been his one "productive" season in 6 years in the league and its 55/645/4 ..... please god no

Otherwise it's a fine plan. By fine I mean it would be another waste of a Jets season and hopefully get most people involved fired.

In all honesty I have no issues with the cuts and walks. Resigning-wise Quincy needs to come cheap as does Smith. Dont know why we would sign a DT and Draft one in the 4th. Relying on Dalton and Hollins as actual pieces would utterly disgust me.