Zach Wilson, totally not coddled

T0mShane

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As much as I despised Rex and thought that Rex was a clown, the one thing I always appreciated about him was that competing and battling were always the most important thing to him and his teams, no matter how sh*tty they were. I never went into a football Sunday with Rex thinking the Jets players weren’t going to try and fight the guy in front of them. 

While true, the rate at which his teams folded in games where they got down by 7 was staggering.

I think his brand was more “competitive” than his product.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DireJet said:

Saleh needs to stop with the new age corporate cliches.

And what an Epic fail by JD selecting an undersized QB who has zero accuracy, zero pocket awareness AND doesn’t have the athleticism to run the ball. USUALLY, you get one or more of those qualities from a pedestrian starting NFL QB. But JD somehow selected a guy who possesses NONE of these qualities. And he took him second overall! It’s one of the worst QB picks in NFL history. 

This is pretty much all not fact. I disagree that he has no athleticism. When given the opportunity, he has improvised runs including his 52 yard TD vs Jacksonville last year. And several other scrambles that a typical QB would not be able to do. The OC doesn’t make plays to utilize that speed. Handoff, long throw down field, check down. 4th down. That’s it. His pocket awareness is an issue but he is 6’2”. It’s not like he’s 5’10” and can’t throw over the offensive line. And they shouldn’t be molding him into a pocket passer anyways, with his skills. Zach’s problems are as much to do with a terrible offensive game plan, as they are about his own inabilities. Another coach makes this guy into a good QB. I have said it before. Most disagree. But I don’t give a ****. This is a Saleh/MLF issue. Yes the QB needs to get better. But stop with the “he has nothing” crap. It’s just not fact. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but bring back Sam on a “prove it” deal

He’s cut down drastically on INTs since he returned from injury 

Yet when it mattered late in the game ... failed to read a blitz, got flattened, and turned the ball over on a lost fumble.

When Sam looks good he can look very good. He just doesn't do so consistently enough to win games when it matters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Chrebet, in his podcast says milf needs to go.  He said he saw no imagination or adjustments by the offense.  Funny thing we did see some end around and then there was that qwilson pass attempt earlier in the season.  Lately it’s been all up the gut on first down, a long pass downfield on second and then a check down on third.

When you say Milf and not MLF I quickly thought you were making a reference to Zach. 

7 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

This is pretty much all not fact. I disagree that he has no athleticism. When given the opportunity, he has improvised runs including his 52 yard TD vs Jacksonville last year. And several other scrambles that a typical QB would not be able to do. The OC doesn’t make plays to utilize that speed. Handoff, long throw down field, check down. 4th down. That’s it. His pocket awareness is an issue but he is 6’2”. It’s not like he’s 5’10” and can’t throw over the offensive line. And they shouldn’t be molding him into a pocket passer anyways, with his skills. Zach’s problems are as much to do with a terrible offensive game plan, as they are about his own inabilities. Another coach makes this guy into a good QB. I have said it before. Most disagree. But I don’t give a ****. This is a Saleh/MLF issue. Yes the QB needs to get better. But stop with the “he has nothing” crap. It’s just not fact. 

He’s not physically imposing like Danny or Josh. He’s not really fast either. He’s quick and elusive. Big difference. But those attributes are usually to his own detriment when not sticking in the pocket.

He gets hurt when he tries to actually run. The minuscule rushing stats he’s piled up support this. He’s an inaccurate, unsure QB w/little ability to read defenses and/or adapt. He does have a twitchy arm but it doesn’t matter bc the ball never ends up where it’s supposed to be.

You can blame coaching, scheme or whatever else … but these are the facts. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Trotter said:

And he is going to accomplish that sitting on a beach?

He has been inactive 5 of the last 7 weeks to reset - how much time does he get.

Yes call me a boomer or anything else but how about he gets his ass in a classroom with our coaches and learn how to do his job. If he is unsure that he wants to do that job - forfeit the last years of your contract and leave.

The above was not directed at you @Pac

I am just beyond pissed at this team and so called leadership

They say it takes at least 10,000 hours of legit / smart / focused practice to become a master / expert / whatever you want to call it at anything.

The 3 week "reset" was never going to do anything.  It was nothing more than a euphemism for an ugly benching.

Based on how Wilson has looked over his 1st 2 seasons, I'd say he's spent enough time on the beach.

The fact that he has so much supposed talent AND STILL LOOKS THIS BAD makes it an even bigger indictment of his work ethic and/or mental makeup.

Wilson needs to freaking put in the work.  When he goes back to Utah, what motivation does he have to put in the work like Brady does?  Nobody can see him.  Nobody knows what he's doing or not doing.  All anybody could tell from last offseason to this training camp was that he gained a few pounds.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, DireJet said:

He’s not physically imposing like Danny or Josh. He’s not really fast either. He’s quick and elusive. Big difference. But those attributes are usually to his own detriment when not sticking in the pocket.

He gets hurt when he tries to actually run. The minuscule rushing stats he’s piled up support this. He’s an inaccurate, unsure QB w/little ability to read defenses and/or adapt. He does have a twitchy arm but it doesn’t matter bc the ball never ends up where it’s supposed to be.

You can blame coaching, scheme or whatever else … but these are the facts. 

He's trending towards a Jamarcus Russell type story.  Wasted talent.

What Saleh just said basically confirmed what was obvious during the season. 

It's the only real negative thing he's said about Wilson in 2 years that wasn't couched in some flowery BS like "yeah, but a lot of young QBs struggle, we still believe in him, he's the future, etc.":

Wilson didn't put in the necessary work between year 1 and year 2.  Probably doesn't put in as much work as other QBs during the season.

I've never heard Wilson admit once that his footwork and play from the pocket need drastic improvement.  He just says sh-t like "obviously, there are throws I'd like to have back".  Makes you wonder if he's even willing to own that there are these specific areas he needs to improve.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It's the only real negative thing he's said about Wilson in 2 years that wasn't couched in some flowery BS like "yeah, but a lot of young QBs struggle, we still believe in him, he's the future, etc.":

Wilson didn't put in the necessary work between year 1 and year 2.  Probably doesn't put in as much work as other QBs during the season.

I've never heard Wilson admit once that his footwork and play from the pocket need drastic improvement.  He just says sh-t like "obviously, there are throws I'd like to have back".  Makes you wonder if he's even willing to own that there are these specific areas he needs to improve.

ZW has to improve that stuff bc he doesn’t have the athleticism/size/durability to use his legs in a meaningful way. It’s getting late early for him. 

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wilson didn't put in the necessary work between year 1 and year 2.

No one will ever accuse me of being Columbo but I believe you have covered the reasons why the locker room is not behind him.

a large part is talent and an even bigger part is coaching

21 minutes ago, Trotter said:

No one will ever accuse me of being Columbo but I believe you have covered the reasons why the locker room is not behind him.

a large part is talent and an even bigger part is coaching

With the CBA, the coaches have a limited time they are allowed to work with these guys.

There's no more 2-a-days.  A bunch of walkthroughs.  Tackling is restricted to a capped number of practices in training camp.

It's kind of ridiculous, but I think they aren't allowed to work with the players in the offseason unless it's specifically in a league-approved setting like OTAs or offseason workouts.

LaFleur can give ZW a laundry list of stuff to work on in the offseason.  But he has zero control over whether Wilson actually puts in the work.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

With the CBA, the coaches have a limited time they are allowed to work with these guys.

It's kind of ridiculous, but I think they aren't allowed to work with the players in the offseason unless it's specifically in league-approved setting like OTAs or offseason workouts.

LaFleur can give ZW a laundry list of stuff to work on in the offseason.  But he has zero control over whether Wilson actually puts in the work.

Understood.

I should have been more clear in the coaching comment.

I did not mean actual teaching, more announting zach and keep trotting him out there when it is perceived he was not putting in the time.

also might explain the cluster at the beg of the year whe all if a sudden he was not ready until week 4

6 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Understood.

I did not mean actual teaching, more announting zach and keep trotting him out there when it is perceived he was not putting in the time.

also might explain the cluster at the beg of the year whe all if a sudden he was not ready until week 4

Ultimately, I doubt ZW has the motivation to be great.

In order to be great (e.g. Steph Curry), you have to want to be great and embrace everything it takes to get there.  It takes not only need the talent but the hunger and insane work ethic.

I think ZW is content collecting his money and having fun as a 23-year old kid and whatever happens to his career happens.  He doesn't even seem to care enough to lift himself out of historic-level bust status.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The jets have a history of coddling qbs.  Sanchez was the most coddled guy of all time.

With Wilson at least they yanked his butt as the starter when he fell flat too often.

The biggest coddling that goes on for young QBs?  Making sure they have ZERO competition behind them as if having a guy pressing you will make your mental game collapse.

Having the likes of Joe Flacco and Mark Brunnel as your back up is ridiculous and stupid.

Just handing a rookie a job out of college is the ultimate in coddling.

It’s about to get even worse.

This offseason:

Jets hire Brian Schottenheimer as OC

Sign Andy Dalton to be “mentor”/backup 

Zach starts week 1 2023

E3BDBA13-E042-42AC-9CE5-02E5EDC7652C.thumb.jpeg.5880628dbc99d53b1bb19eaed6da591d.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Understood.

Can you imagine a HC telling Peyton Manning "take the rest of the season off, go to the beach and read a book".

He would strangle him. 

2 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

It’s about to get even worse.

This offseason:

Jets hire Brian Schottenheimer as OC

Sign Andy Dalton to be “mentor”/backup 

Zach starts week 1 2023

Dalton would not at all be worse, the guy at least has a QB pulse.  Unlike zombie Flacco .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dalton would not at all be worse, the guy at least has a QB pulse.  Unlike zombie Flacco .

All these guys who want Carr. LOL

Carr is going to want multiple years. He's Andy Dalton by 2024, but yeah, Dalton sucks hurdy hur hur and Carr fixes everything!

We are not winning the SB next year. LMFAO

The Pats, Dolphins, and Bills are miles ahead of us. We are spinning in the water with a busted rudder. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The biggest coddling that goes on for young QBs?  Making sure they have ZERO competition behind them as if having a guy pressing you will make your mental game collapse.

It's also about not dividing the locker room.  Can't have the players showing up in tee shirts with the backup's name on them.

Ooops.

• Upvote 3

Let Zach take a week off, then hit the books. That's the first thing he should be doing this offseason. Then he needs to hire a personal QB coach and a defensive coordinator to work out with all offseason, if he is going to be on this team. The QB coach to work on his footwork and delivery and the defensive coach to learn all about defenses. He has no shot at a starting job next year if he doesn't accomplish that.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Really poor choice of words from coach during a 5 game...soon to be 6 game losing streak with a QB that the fanbase currently can't stand.

Agree, there are so many ways of saying, "He just needs to clear his head," without making it sound like a big ordeal requiring planning & thought by the coaches, but wtf is this crap, listing the types of activities he needs to do while vacationing away from the team? So Zach also needs help with vacationing, too? Now of course no he doesn't; for all the on-field struggles, this is Saleh unnecessarily - and publicly - making him sound like a helpless baby who wouldn't be able to wipe his own ass without adult guidance. He's doing his player no favors here, while thinking he's helping. Bleh.

Now that that's out of the way, who's doing the photoshopping of Wilson sitting barefoot on a yoga mat with his eyes closed, doing that mudra stuff with his fingers? (I just now learned there's a term for those yoga hand gestures. JN posting = educational).

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree, there are so many ways of saying, "He just needs to clear his head," without making it sound like a big ordeal requiring planning & thought by the coaches, but wtf is this crap, listing the types of activities he needs to do while vacationing away from the team? So Zach also needs help with vacationing, too? Now of course no he doesn't; for all the on-field struggles, this is Saleh unnecessarily - and publicly - making him sound like a helpless baby who wouldn't be able to wipe his own ass without adult guidance. He's doing his player no favors here, while thinking he's helping. Bleh.

Now that that's out of the way, who's doing the photoshopping of Wilson sitting barefoot on a yoga mat with his eyes closed, doing that mudra stuff with his fingers? (I just now learned there's a term for those yoga hand gestures. JN posting = educational).

I mean, this particular instance was a bullsh*t frame job by Costello, but yes, Saleh has been very soft on Wilson and deserves to be pushed more.

54 minutes ago, Coquito said:

Then he should have strangled the guy who said it. 

That's an insult. It's a condescending comment and Saleh was like "yeah" ha ha. And Saleh did say he'd like to be poolside with McDaniel.

Yeah as in, you're season is over just like mine. Just like every other team who didn't make the playoffs. But I get it, we suck. It's more fun to rag on these guys. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Saleh has been doing that with another player this year, not including Becton and Mims. It looks like he wants to paint the player in an unflattering light. 

• Upvote 1