Zach Wilson, totally not coddled

T0mShane

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Just got done watching pc..  It was a hacky tweet.  Surprised because that's not normally Costellos MO. 

Saleh was actually a bit more critical of Zach than most pcs.  Said he needs to regain his confidence, said every qb needs to be able to sit in pocket and deliver football, needs to develop pocket and 2 min play, needs to get his footwork, mechanics, and mind right.  Saud he needs to figure out what's important to him. 

I preferred ignorantly critiquing it better while I'm upset. You suck for this.

• Haha 4

We’re screwed.  Must have missed this part.  

Saleh is willing to go down with the ship.

Pushing his chips to the middle of the table?  Sounds like they’re “all in” on John Stockton.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player-news/11042426?category=headlines

Jets coach Robert Saleh said, "Through hell or high water, we're going to figure how to get him [Zach Wilson] to where we know he can be."

This appears to confirm a previous report that said Jets GM Joe Douglas would not be looking to trade Wilson in the offseason. While all of this confidence in him is inspiring, it does not change the fact that Wilson has looked like the worst quarterback on the Jets' roster in each of the past two seasons. That stretch includes appearances from Mike White, Joe Flacco, and even Josh Johnson. Wilson can still make strides as a thrower and decision-maker, but the Jets have a playoff-caliber roster that simply needs average quarterback play. Whether or not Wilson is still on the next year, expect the team to look for a veteran option in the offseason.

Saleh really can't shut up, can he. It's different from Rex, but almost worse in a way. I get expressing support for your players, but it's completely inauthentic and tone deaf to say this when he was never held to any sort of accountability until his benching. Plus, it puts the GM in a bad spot when he inevitably moves on from Zach. Just so curious why he feels the need to put the team in such an awkward position with the things he says.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So we have moved on from the "look at Josh Allen" excuse for Zach's bad rookie season to "look at Geno Smith" to excuse Zach's 2 bad seasons.  

Yep, basically. 

And, of course, the flaw here is that Geno Smith is on his 4th NFL team in year 10 of his pro career. Saleh, who will likely get a playoff mandate next year, needs Wilson to suddenly figure out how to be a good NFL QB in year 3 for the cursed franchise that drafted him, playing his home games in front of a crowd that has lost all faith in him and will boo every bad throw. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Either way. It's obvious Wilson will be on this roster next season.

He has to be. Noone we draft will have his talent. I know Zach needed to sit, but his talent is there. If you have a coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball that is incapable of teaching him the right way, all you end up with is a confused player. it's not about talent, it's that they sucked it out of him (let's not go there ;)). Before people make the lazy comment, yeah, but Mike White came in and did way better. That's not good coaching - it only proves the point that MLF couldn't coach OUTSIDE of his system. MW fit his system better - you have to adjust to the player. The light can go on with Zach, but not until a coach has the ability to show him where the damn switch is. Everyone is blaming Zach and he clearly didn't play well. But as a high performance coach I can tell you that if I confuse the athlete and don't coach to his talents, it's my fault. Let him sit behind a vet and when he gets proper coaching from (Reich?!) then put him back in and watch the team take off.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Zach needs to get practicing and get himself a QB guru if he has any chance to compete next year. If he doesn't learn how to read a defense, then he is sunk.

If/when he does, he also needs to hire a few camp-fodder pass rushers who need the money, to spend the rest of the winter & spring with him on a practice field as they run right towards his face in 2-3 seconds.

Forget 3-on-3 throws on a HS field, or waiting for camp's 7-on-7 drills that get him too comfortable with the idea that, in a game, he can just stand there indefinitely or panic & run backwards, since it's the element of pass rush pressure that makes him so terrible. Not pitter-patter his feet as though he's juking imaginary pass rushers. Real people. Or AI software/glasses if that'll help gather a full 11-on-11. Saw something about that this past offseason.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Saleh has been doing that with another player this year, not including Becton and Mims. It looks like he wants to paint the player in an unflattering light. 

Passive-aggressive behavior. Making himself sound pseudo-sympathetic for a player in the course of humiliating him with negative critiques in front of everyone.

Any therapists left on the board? Do I have this right?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Saleh has been doing that with another player this year, not including Becton and Mims. It looks like he wants to paint the player in an unflattering light. 

Of Becton: "We'd love you back here, buddy! Come on. We'll take care of you."

If you're going to take a shot at the player, then just do it:

"He's techincally not required to be here, but he missed 15+ games last season after getting off to a slow start in the summer. So he's either going to be here or he isn't. We've got world-class facilities & all the free trainers & healthy, filling food a hungry player he could need. Woody's offered to keep his Lear on standby just for him if there's any update on his upcoming kid. Hopefully he changes his mind, but I'm not going to beg. Next question."

Let him run on & on with a mouthful of that instead, lol.

Or with Mims, just flat-out say:

"He's having trouble with the playbook. No coach is going to let him onto the field like that, so he just needs to hit the books & memorize it all just like everyone else. He hasn't accomplished enough yet to get special treatment, and we have plenty of wideouts in camp this summer. Damn shame, too, because he's got all the talent in the world with size & speed that can't be taught."

I bet they all line up to play for him then. Because of the honesty lol.

Seriously, though, I think that's attractive to the types of veterans a team wants to sign anyway; who won't let the kiddies skate by on their draft pick slot, and won't - and shouldn't - let veterans skate after finally landing that fat contract. The ones who don't need motivation will appreciate this; it's a turnoff only to the lazy who consider themselves perpetual victims. 

Tough love, baby!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Either way. It's obvious Wilson will be on this roster next season.

Why wouldn't he? Sam Darnold and Geno Smith are still in the league. This fanbase wanted them run out of town also. 

He's on a rookie contract. There is little benefit to just give him away.  I'm also pretty confident JD said the same things about Jamal adams and Darnold. JD doesn't need to tell idiot fans what they want to hear. 

With that said,  we need to bring in Detrk Carr or a similar QB. Wilson needs to win a future starting job, whether that's here or a new team. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So we have moved on from the "look at Josh Allen" excuse for Zach's bad rookie season to "look at Geno Smith" to excuse Zach's 2 bad seasons.  

We would have still been saying "look at Josh Allen" if the team didn't cave to media/fan pressure and continued playing him. Again not going to say "just because Allen" ='s "will be Allen", but there were other ways to handle the situation without a benching or a reset. All the team sources kept saying is "be patient with stats... they're coming after the NE game." Then naturally the whole season was tanked down the drain. 

Jets still think what they did/are doing is going to be a critical moment/turning point for Zach Wilson's career. Whether it will or won't be should be interesting. If it does "flip the switch" the way they think it will they will be geniuses for humbling him and unlocking the long-term success. If it doesn't they'll all be fired anyway.

The point fans/media are incapable of realizing (for good reason because seeing is believing and what you don't see you can't believe) is just how talented Zach is. He would've been the #1 pick in most drafts. It's very rare to find former #1/#2 picks who busted that have the talent, football IQ, and work ethic he does absent significant injury. Carson Wentz is probably the only one, and his career was derailed due to personality and confidence issues (which are very real concerns with Zach). Still, the Eagles got tangible production out of him with good coaching, schemes, RPO usage, etc., that we have not gotten out of Zach largely due to how we scheme up our offense and coach offense... MLF believes that the best way to develop a QB is to force him to play within the system, within the pocket, and let him learn along the way. The problem: MLF has never developed a QB. Most coaches do not operate that way, rather, either balance the scheme with tailoring around a player's present day strengths/limitations OR sit them on the bench until they're ready to operate from within the offense. We have done either. 

All the guys we have in our building idolize Mike and Kyle Shanahan. They didn't even want RGIII and they still found ways to tailor their offense to his skillset during his first two years (more so his rookie year prior to the organization/ownership forcing them to make him more of a pocket passer at RGIII's request). Our coaching staff adored Zach Wilson to the point where they had him as the best player in the draft. They adored him going into this year and were bullish about his ability to make a leap, yet refused to tailor the scheme around him. Idk about everyone else but that's eye-opening to me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Jets coach Robert Saleh said, "Through hell or high water, we're going to figure how to get him [Zach Wilson] to where we know he can be."

In March, I predict free agent WRs will be pushing each other out of the way to sign here now!

Ditto FA QBs who won't get 2-3 years fully guaranteed, seeing how it's Saleh's stated team goal to get a different QB onto the field instead.

Also defenders who love marching right back onto the field before they can swallow a sip of water.

Saleh's making JD's upcoming job in FA really easy. He should probably expect a care package from his boss. I'm thinking one of those rubber gag-balls Zed & Maynard put in Marcellus & Butch's mouths. But it'll be brand new. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets leadership doesn't have any better ideas or options 

If they fired everyone they'd have to hire Korn ferry or call Payton Manning for advice 

The owners just don't know football and that's an unfixable problem 

Wait they don’t want to fire the GM who just had one of our best drafts in team history and the HC who could increase last years win total by 4 and this proves that they’re the ones who don’t know football?  LOL

4 hours ago, Trotter said:

Good point.

I am going to tell my boss tomorrow I need a reset (with pay of course) and am going to the North Shore of Oahu (Sunset Beach or Waimea Bay) for a month or so.

I will let you know how that conversation goes.

Good luck, you’re a hero

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Can you imagine being Duane Brown, playing out the string with a ****ed up shoulder, hearing this? 

The Jets should have more costume nights next year too. Maybe Saleh can get his well deserved clow costume.

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait they don’t want to fire the GM who just had one of our best drafts in team history and the HC who could increase last years win total by 4 and this proves that they’re the ones who don’t know football?  LOL

Back to back games (Detroit and Jax) he mismanaged the time in an epic fail and allowed players to play dress up before the jax game. Now I wouldn’t care had they actually showed up to play.

it’s not about the record at this point (lol you sound just like saleh). It’s THE WAY they’ve lost the last 3 games that is very very disturbing. He has done a horrible job getting the Jets ready to play in very important games.

BUT THE RECORD is better  :rl: 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BP said:

Back to back games (Detroit and Jax) he mismanaged the time in an epic fail and allowed players to play dress up before the jax game. Now I wouldn’t care had they actually showed up to play.

it’s not about the record at this point (lol you sound just like saleh). It’s THE WAY they’ve lost the last 3 games that is very very disturbing. He has done a horrible job getting the Jets ready to play in very important games.

BUT THE RECORD is better  :rl: 

You’re right, better to change HCs every two years.  That worked in, no, it didn’t. 

Because going from 4 wins to 7 or 8 means nothing.  
I think he has the makings of a good HC.  You’d rather spin your wheels because it’s easy and doubling you win totals from year tone to two with mostly poor QB play is funny

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You’re right, better to change HCs every two years.

That worked in, no, it didn’t. 

No, hold people accountable who are obviously incompetent while we still have good young players. You want to wait until sauce and gw and qw want to get paid to decide saleh sucks? I don’t. It’s blatantly obvious. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BP said:

No, hold people accountable who are obviously incompetent while we still have good young players. You want to wait until sauce and gw and qw want to get paid to decide saleh sucks? I don’t. It’s blatantly obvious. 

He apologized and owned up for the clock screw up.  
Contracts are what they are, I’m not firing a HC after two seasons because a couple of players will need to get paid eventually.

Or if we fire Saleh, bring in another HC they won’t have to be paid?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

He apologized and owned up for the clock screw up.  
Contracts are what they are, I’m not firing a HC after two seasons because a couple of players will need to get paid eventually.

Or if we fire Saleh, bring in another HC they won’t have to be paid?

Lol! You are quite happy with 7 wins and another losing record. Let me tell you something, losing should be UNACCEPTABLE. Do you realize before the second patriots game saleh said “it’s not the end of the world if we lose this game” FFS why would he say that?

This year alone has been  a culmination of incompetence and him doing and saying all the wrong things and holding nobody accountable. That’s not gonna change by him being here longer. It’s going to make things worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1