Zach Wilson, totally not coddled

T0mShane

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t get how this approach and this messaging helps Zach Wilson at all. If the locker room thought Zach was coddled before, what are they thinking now? You’re going to make him more of a pariah, sign an established vet, and THEN try to run it back with him in camp in five months? Crazy

The message that Saleh sent was so ridiculous.  Go find a beach somewhere?  Are you kidding me?

In my world, when there is a problem, especially one that I caused, I would attack that problem.  I am anxious to seek resolution, not be placated on some beach to regain my confidence.

Is Zach that fragile?  This is a rhetorical question, because the obvious answer is: "Yes he is!"

An NFL QB playing at the highest level cannot be fragile.  He can not succeed at the NFL level.

Look, we can go back and look at Geno Smith and Sam Darnold.  Yes, they needed to be replaced when they were awful, but I never believed either one was fragile, or incapable of going on the field because they lost total confidence in themselves and their abilities the way Zach has.

My prediction:  Zach Wilson will never succeed as an NFL QB.  Not for the Jets, and not for anyone else.

I never felt this way about Sam Darnold.  In fact, I have lobbied very hard in the past not to draft Zach and to keep Darnold for another year.  So in effect, I never gave up on him.  Geno was another story.  He was an arrogant jerk, even though I saw improvement in him near the end of his tenure with the Jets.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It was never remotely this bad with Sam and Geno.

They never had the "yips".  They could at least function from the pocket and execute basic reads and throws. 

Sam was very bad his last year, but you are right it wasn't THIS bad. That being said, Wilson has more talent if they could figure things out...which seems like a remote chance right now. I think i want Baker, he may be a perfect fit...a guy who needs to establish himself, and a guy Zach COULD beat out if he figures things out.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, Alka said:

The message that Saleh sent was so ridiculous.  Go find a beach somewhere?  Are you kidding me?

In my world, when there is a problem, especially one that I caused, I would attack that problem.  I am anxious to seek resolution, not be placated on some beach to regain my confidence.

Is Zach that fragile?  This is a rhetorical question, because the obvious answer is: "Yes he is!"

An NFL QB playing at the highest level cannot be fragile.  He can not succeed at the NFL level.

Look, we can go back and look at Geno Smith and Sam Darnold.  Yes, they needed to be replaced when they were awful, but I never believed either one was fragile, or incapable of going on the field because they lost total confidence in themselves and their abilities the way Zach has.

My prediction:  Zach Wilson will never succeed as an NFL QB.  Not for the Jets, and not for anyone else.

I never felt this way about Sam Darnold.  In fact, I have lobbied very hard in the past not to draft Zach and to keep Darnold for another year.  So in effect, I never gave up on him.  Geno was another story.  He was an arrogant jerk, even though I saw improvement in him near the end of his tenure with the Jets.

I think you have to separate what they say from what they do. Wilson definitely needs to throw away this toxic year and reset, and they need to figure out what to do with the QB position yesterday....and i am sure they are on it.

Also, the fact that we didn't keep Darnold and draft one of the 8 HOF's in that top 10 is going to haunt us for a long time.

49 minutes ago, Alka said:

Saleh is a fraud and needs to be fired. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

benched twice

booed off the field

teammates allowed to wear backup QB sweatshirts of a BUM GARBAGE quarterback 

killed for every pass he throws

no praise for any pass he throws

are you serious?

this team has done a TERRIBLE JOB WITH ZACH WILSON IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE SPORT

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Also, the fact that we didn't keep Darnold and draft one of the 8 HOF's in that top 10 is going to haunt us for a long time.

Just think about the draft capital we could have gotten if we traded th #2 pick and kept Darnold?  We could have had 2 or 3 more starters than we do right now.  That's what I would have done, and that's what I said at the time.  The fascination with Zach will always be a mastery to me.  Not too big, not too fast, didn't stack up even close to the #1 QB taken in the draft ahead of Zach.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t think this is coddling. I think it’s just another way to say Zach needs to do some serious soul searching and figure out if being a QB in the NFL is what he really wants to do. His situation made this path easy for him, never had to work hard for it, it was just what he was supposed to do and expected to do. I’m fact when you hear this advice, it is the worst thing someone can tell you, forcing you to question yourself deep down 

8 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Sam was very bad his last year, but you are right it wasn't THIS bad. That being said, Wilson has more talent if they could figure things out...which seems like a remote chance right now. I think i want Baker, he may be a perfect fit...a guy who needs to establish himself, and a guy Zach COULD beat out if he figures things out.

Mayfield is the antithesis of Zach Wilson. He’s gritty and confident (sometimes to a fault) and has a perpetual chip on his shoulder. Aside from the fact that he’s an awful QB, Zach is soft. His teammates see it.

If Baker ever became a Jet, Zach would never beat him out.

• Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, Alka said:

I’m sure the PR team couldn’t wait for a new round of Zach in a hoodie memes. 

• Haha 1

It’s like people on the jets forum only don’t look around the league to see what helps a quarterback be successful! it’s way more then just the quarterback. 

look what pederson did for Lawrence in one year, I say give Wilson or any quarterback we have a good coach to work with them and see a drastic change in QB play.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

It’s like people on the jets forum only don’t look around the league to see what helps a quarterback be successful! it’s way more then just the quarterback. 

look what pederson did for Lawrence in one year, I say give Wilson or any quarterback we have a good coach to work with them and see a drastic change in QB play.

Until Zach fixes his accuracy and ball placement issues he’s not going to be successful in any NFL system. 

He was accurate after in the Pittsburgh and Miami game for the most part when he had a clean pocket. After that teams starting pressuring him and his mechanics got out of sorts. 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Just think about the draft capital we could have gotten if we traded th #2 pick and kept Darnold?  We could have had 2 or 3 more starters than we do right now.  That's what I would have done, and that's what I said at the time.  The fascination with Zach will always be a mastery to me.  Not too big, not too fast, didn't stack up even close to the #1 QB taken in the draft ahead of Zach.  

I don’t pretend to know how to evaluate QB prospects, but I said at the time if Sam hits elsewhere and Wilson stinks….that has to be a big black spot on JD’s resume.

48 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Mayfield is the antithesis of Zach Wilson. He’s gritty and confident (sometimes to a fault) and has a perpetual chip on his shoulder. Aside from the fact that he’s an awful QB, Zach is soft. His teammates see it.

If Baker ever became a Jet, Zach would never beat him out.

Baker was beat out by PJ Walker or whatever that dudes name is

9 hours ago, Alka said:

We live in a new era as you see now coddling and socio-emotional attentiveness has entered football

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

Baker was beat out by PJ Walker or whatever that dudes name is

Yeah you’re right. That was a defining moment for him. His career ended that day, and he hasn’t been heard from since, has he?
When Steve Wilkes and the Carolina Panthers sit you down, you say “Thank you. Now get me out of here and let me go to a real NFL team”.

4 hours ago, KevinSwayne82 said:

Until Zach fixes his accuracy and ball placement issues he’s not going to be successful in any NFL system. 

He was accurate after in the Pittsburgh and Miami game for the most part when he had a clean pocket. After that teams starting pressuring him and his mechanics got out of sorts. 

Yeah but ignore all the really good pin point dimes he threw as well 

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Yeah you’re right. That was a defining moment for him. His career ended that day, and he hasn’t been heard from since, has he?
When Steve Wilkes and the Carolina Panthers sit you down, you say “Thank you. Now get me out of here and let me go to a real NFL team”.

you must be the baker truther around here. even if you look at his last 4 games with McVey, 4 TD's in 4 games?

there is every chance that baker is a career high end backup QB in the NFL.

22 hours ago, Alka said:

If Zach wasn't fragile he would have told Lefluer and Saleh to F off and demanded a trade.  He may or may not be an NFL QB but he was screwed the day the Jets drafted him with a HC and OC who were learning on the job and frankly aren't any better at their jobs than Zach is at his.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Saleh and LaFleur make me question whether or not Zach is really this bad, or they are AWFUL at coaching and developing players. Could you imagine Parcells, Shula, or Landry ever coddling their players like this?

Parcells and Landry were terrible at handling QB's.  

6 hours ago, k-met57 said:

you must be the baker truther around here. even if you look at his last 4 games with McVey, 4 TD's in 4 games?

there is every chance that baker is a career high end backup QB in the NFL.

It's uncanny how McVay gets any pass catchers not named Allen Robinson wide the freak open all the time.

Could be "Ben Skowronek" or whoever.  There are wide open throwing lanes and open pastures for YAC seemingly all day.

The Rams' biggest problem right now, QB health aside, is their OL is absolutely dreadful.

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It's uncanny how McVay gets any pass catchers not named Allen Robinson wide the freak open all the time.

Could be "Ben Skowronek" or whoever.  There are wide open throwing lanes and open pastures for YAC seemingly all day.

The Rams' biggest problem right now, QB health aside, is their OL is absolutely dreadful.

life is different when you have a game changing offensive minded head coach. i know defense is important as well, but the truth is its an offensive league...those things are just not equal. ill take kyle, andy, sean....vs any top 3 defensive coaches you can throw at me.

59 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

knew this was going to come out sooner or later

I wonder though, does Zach want to be back? It's gone so badly for him and this fanbase is so done with him. I just think he's going to have to show a serious amount of mental fortitude to make it here and I'm just not convinced it's doable. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I wonder though, does Zach want to be back? It's gone so badly for him and this fanbase is so done with him. I just think he's going to have to show a serious amount of mental fortitude to make it here and I'm just not convinced it's doable. 

yeah I am not of that either nor should he.  Ist INT during home game boo birds be in mating season.  Best to just move on.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:53 PM, FactsOnly said:

benched twice

booed off the field

teammates allowed to wear backup QB sweatshirts of a BUM GARBAGE quarterback 

killed for every pass he throws

no praise for any pass he throws

are you serious?

this team has done a TERRIBLE JOB WITH ZACH WILSON IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE SPORT

Chris, buy an nfl franchise, and construct the greatest roster ever so your golden child Zach can play.  That’s literally the only way Zach Wilson won’t become a bust