The QB The Jets Should Draft In 2023

None.  We should draft none. 

Well, maybe a late rounder, but that's it.

MLF and the entire Jets organization have PROVEN they can't develop a young QB, or even get one to improve.   Unless you bring in a Harbaugh or Sean Payton, you don't draft another young QB.   If they drafted one, and that kid did everything possible to NOT come to the Jets, could you blame them?

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I have been speaking about this in a few threads, but I think now this needs a thread of its own. 

The QB spot for the Jets is EVERYTHING now.  

Here is the QB the Jets should draft in 2023.  Stanford's Tanner McKee.

Since, Stroud, Young and Levis will all be gone by pick 7, and I don't expect the Jets brass to trade up, McKee makes the most sense.

They can trade down lower in the first round, garner some extra picks to shore up other positions and take McKee who will probably be available at the bottom of round one.

McKee has very good size, a strong arm and excellent intangibles,  Best of all he would be an ideal for LeFleur's system.  McKee is outstanding with timing and ball placement.  Although not a running QB by any stretch of the imagination, he has clean footwork and can negotiate the pocket under pressure.   I'd describe him as the ideal QB to run a west coast offense like LeFleur's. 

Get acquainted with Stanford's Tanner McKee

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tanner-McKee-QB-Stanford

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tanner-mckee-qb-stanford-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/tanner-mckee-4aaa60a3-9f50-488b-b12f-b5dc3b2da216/

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/tannermckee

This is *MY* first round draft pick for the Jets after a trade down.  If my guess is correct, other people will learn what I already know and the Jets may not even want to chance trading out of 13th and just take him there.  

Is JD listening ???

Use another 1st rounder on a QB because he's a match for MLF?

Have to say, with this many young playmakers on the roster on rookie (or manageable veteran) contracts, I'm with @Warfish on this one. Handing a team to another prospect who may take a couple years to really learn the ropes and become the asset himself instead of the one the other assets hide? Maybe I do that when I'm about to clear house like a few years back. Not when the team is a QB and truly just a couple very fillable holes away from being a serious contender. FFS we were still in playoff contention in Dec without that.

I'd sooner trade that 1st rounder for a veteran if needed, though the only one I think on the block is Carr and, since he will want a new contract anyway, would have a tougher time tossing a 1st to a guy when we'd still have to come up with the same contract it'd take to bring him in as a FA. But at least in theory I'd be willing to part with our 1st for a veteran QB. Options on that front?

- Jordan Love?

• Being honest, I don't know squat about him, other than he was a former 1st rounder himself & his team was more eager to extend their 40 yr old QB while largely gutting the team around him the past couple seasons. 

- Love's teammate? I forget his name.

• Too much is made about GB's dead cap hit, but it's self-inflicted by keeping his 2023 cap number artificially low, one season after doing the same in 2022. His contract extension is for $50MM/year and they're on pace to keep it at $30MM for a 2nd straight season. that's what creates dead cap later, whether he's kept or not for now. Trading him would be a one-time $9MM hit above his scheduled one - money that's easily borrowed from 2024 if stuck for this one season, since they'd be clear of him & any future pay forever after that - and again, a dead cap hit is destined to come anyway. Plus I could see mgmt getting sick of his act at this point, from the stances that he should be consulted on draft picks before the team makes them, pushing his head coach out, threatening to retire on them after the draft, his intellectually dishonest word-mincing on being vaccinated (not going to debate this; if nothing else, the team needed to know with the forfeit rules then in place). 

- Carr

• (mentioned over & over)

- Garoppolo

• I really, really don't want to pony up anywhere near the #s that some have been throwing around. I just don't think much of him, and Purdy has been showing just how cushy of a spot that is for any semi-competent QB. Big duh he's better than Wilson, but so are a few dozen others thus far, and he's just not reliable to stay on the field. It'd surprise no one to lose him for the season in September.

- Brady

• I feel dirty just typing that out.

- Other retreads

• a couple of whom - Geno & Darnold - understandably won't want to sign here if they even reach FA);
  • a couple others would be fine as seatwarmers, but the way Wilson has played, signing any would be a seatwarmer for whom? This would include Bridgewater, Dalton, and a couple others I'd click to remind myself of the names if my mouse-hand wasn't already pinching my nose.

- Or next verse same as the first: Wilson + re-sign White + just swap out Flacco for Minshew, Mayfield, etc. That'll go over like a lead balloon here, and justifiably so. 

Anyway I'd first exhaust the list above "other retreads" before committing to using another 1st rounder on a QB on what should be a win-now roster.

jmo 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I have been speaking about this in a few threads, but I think now this needs a thread of its own. 

Since, Stroud, Young and Levis will all be gone by pick 7, and I don't expect the Jets brass to trade up, McKee makes the most sense.

They can trade down lower in the first round, garner some extra picks to shore up other positions and take McKee who will probably be available at the bottom of round one.

McKee has very good size, a strong arm and excellent intangibles,  Best of all he would be an ideal for LeFleur's system.  McKee is outstanding with timing and ball placement.  Although not a running QB by any stretch of the imagination, he has clean footwork and can negotiate the pocket under pressure.   I'd describe him as the ideal QB to run a west coast offense like LeFleur's. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tanner-mckee-qb-stanford-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/tanner-mckee-4aaa60a3-9f50-488b-b12f-b5dc3b2da216/

This is *MY* first round draft pick for the Jets after a trade down.  If my guess is correct, other people will learn what I already know and the Jets may not even want to chance trading out of 13th and just take him there.  

Is JD listening ???

Why isn't this guy picked in the top three. You describe him as the perfect qb.

I'm not sure what I think about drafting a guy. I mean I know we need to. so I guess yeah 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Our immediate future at QB does not reside in the draft.

22 years of dreaming about draft QB's for our rookie coaches, 22 years of mostly abject failure.

Over that span not a single attempt to really address the position with an established, veteran, already-proven-levels-of-performance Veteran QB.

JAG's, yes.  One year laughable experiments, sure.  But not one time trying to REALLY fill the role via a Free Agent/Trade for a Veteran with an actual resume at the Pro level.

It's time to stop going all or nothing, and time to fill the job with a Vet.  Not a McCown or a Fitz, a real Vet with a future, but a history of actual production and performance.

If we draft one, do it in the mid-rounds for several years from now.  

Or, we can keep engaging in the insanity of doing the same thing over and over, draft another young bust high in the draft, rush him to start since we've got nothing else, then fire Saleh at end of 23' when he disappoints because of the QB, and have this new drafted QB be "not the new Coach's guy" in 2024, repeating the cycle all over again...

Kind of like Never paying a real HC.  There are dots connecting here.

Our immediate future at QB does not reside in the draft.

22 years of dreaming about draft QB's for our rookie coaches, 22 years of mostly abject failure.

Over that span not a single attempt to really address the position with an established, veteran, already-proven-levels-of-performance Veteran QB.

JAG's, yes.  One year laughable experiments, sure.  But not one time trying to REALLY fill the role via a Free Agent/Trade for a Veteran with an actual resume at the Pro level.

It's time to stop going all or nothing, and time to fill the job with a Vet.  Not a McCown or a Fitz, a real Vet with a future, but a history of actual production and performance.

If we draft one, do it in the mid-rounds for several years from now.  

Or, we can keep engaging in the insanity of doing the same thing over and over, draft another young bust high in the draft, rush him to start since we've got nothing else, then fire Saleh at end of 23' when he disappoints because of the QB, and have this new drafted QB be "not the new Coach's guy" in 2024, repeating the cycle all over again...

Sign Carr and there’s still a small chance Zach develops over the next two years.  We’ve all seen the talent, needs some fundamentals and a lot of Zen.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Take a mid to late round athlete QB, not worth looking for a 1st round guy.

The problem is we are talking about guys who should be mid to late round guys and discussing taking them in the first as if that is somehow good process.

If we're talking about Levis in the third...OK 

If we're talking about McKee in the 5th or 6th... OK

These should not be first round prospects.

Josh Allen melted some people's brains and now they think bad prospects with prototypical size are good prospects because they are bad prospects with prototypical size.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

The problem is we are talking about guys who should be mid to late round guys and discussing taking them in the first as if that is somehow good process.

If we're talking about Levis in the third...OK 

If we're talking about McKee in the 5th or 6th... OK

These should not be first round prospects.

Josh Allen melted some people's brains and now they think bad prospects with prototypical size are good prospects because they are bad prospects with prototypical size.

I agree, to me even the top end guys have major questions

• Upvote 2

I agree and I think tis is the only way to go right now.  Draft a developmental guy on day 2 or 3 if you want, but lets get a competent vet in here.  The two best QB seasons we have had since Favre in 2008 have been McCown in 2017 and Fitz in 2015, which is an incredibly depressing statement. 

I am done with rookie QBs getting thrown into the fire and being handed the job.  We need a solid vet who can give us competent play while we look to find and develop a young stud.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Use another 1st rounder on a QB because he's a match for MLF?

Have to say, with this many young playmakers on the roster on rookie (or manageable veteran) contracts, I'm with @Warfish on this one. Handing a team to another prospect who may take a couple years to really learn the ropes and become the asset himself instead of the one the other assets hide? Maybe I do that when I'm about to clear house like a few years back. Not when the team is a QB and truly just a couple very fillable holes away from being a serious contender. FFS we were still in playoff contention in Dec without that.

I'd sooner trade that 1st rounder for a veteran if needed, though the only one I think on the block is Carr and, since he will want a new contract anyway, would have a tougher time tossing a 1st to a guy when we'd still have to come up with the same contract it'd take to bring him in as a FA. But at least in theory I'd be willing to part with it. 

- Jordan Love?

• Being honest, I don't know squat about him, other than he was a former 1st rounder himself & his team was more eager to extend their 40 yr old QB while largely gutting the team around him the past couple seasons. 

- Love's teammate? I forget his name.

• Too much is made about GB's dead cap hit, but it's self-inflicted by keeping his 2023 cap number artificially low, one season after doing the same in 2022. His contract extension is for $50MM/year and they're on pace to keep it at $30MM for a 2nd straight season. that's what creates dead cap later, whether he's kept or not for now. Trading him would be a one-time $9MM hit above his scheduled one - money that's easily borrowed from 2024 if stuck for this one season, since they'd be clear of him & any future pay forever after that - and again, a dead cap hit is destined to come anyway. Plus I could see mgmt getting sick of his act at this point, from the stances that he should be consulted on draft picks before the team makes them, pushing his head coach out, threatening to retire on them after the draft, his intellectually dishonest word-mincing on being vaccinated (not going to debate this; if nothing else, the team needed to know with the forfeit rules then in place). 

- Carr

• (mentioned over & over)

- Garoppolo

• I really, really don't want to pony up anywhere near the #s that some have been throwing around. I just don't think much of him, and Purdy has been showing just how cushy of a spot that is for any semi-competent QB. Big duh he's better than Wilson, but so are a few dozen others thus far, and he's just not reliable to stay on the field. It'd surprise no one to lose him for the season in September.

- Brady

• I feel dirty just typing that out.

- Other retreads

• a couple of whom - Geno & Darnold - understandably won't want to sign here if they even reach FA);
  • a couple others would be fine as seatwarmers, but the way Wilson has played, signing any would be a seatwarmer for whom? This would include Bridgewater, Dalton, and a couple others I'd click to remind myself of the names if my mouse-hand wasn't already pinching my nose.

- Or next verse same as the first: Wilson + re-sign White + just swap out Flacco for Minshew, Mayfield, etc. That'll go over like a lead balloon here, and justifiably so. 

Anyway I'd first exhaust the list above "other retreads" before committing to using another 1st rounder on a QB on what should be a win-now roster.

jmo 

Excellent post.  I still see the Jets best way forward with a long term QB in the draft.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Why isn't this guy picked in the top three. You describe him as the perfect qb.

I'm not sure what I think about drafting a guy. I mean I know we need to. so I guess yeah 

He wont be a top three for two reasons.  He's not a runner and he plays for Stanford.  They have not been setting the world on fire.  

My eyes tell me he's a pearl. 

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Then why can’t one be successful here the last 2 years?

Systems are only as good as the teacher?  There are three aspects to milfs job. The first one is play design. The second is play calling and the third is teaching the plays. If he fails in any then the team fails.  Shanahan jr was confident enough to start a rookie and now he’s still successful with the third string guy.  So aye milf just can’t teach the shanahan system.

MLF is a top secret spook who lives in a concrete room with no windows. He's pretty good with X's and O's, but he has no social skills, and doesn't care. He's brilliant and people need to recognize. A QB needs hands on instruction, just like a sharpshooter doesn't become a sniper taking an online course.

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Is JD listening ???

You are suggesting that the Jets invest a 1st or 2nd round pick for MFLF's offense? Good grief.