The QB The Jets Should Draft In 2023

15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Why would I ever believe Joe Douglas will get it right at quarterback? He's sucked so far evaluating quarterbacks. 

Cause he has gotten better at drafting each year.  Again, like in all facets of life, you improve at your job over time.  Joe D has ascended in the past 3 years to one of the top GMs in the league.

He understands where he went wrong and will make a better decision when he drafts a qb in the 1st round this year.

Have faith buddy  In Joe D we trust.

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2023 at 3:19 PM, THE BARON said:

I have been speaking about this in a few threads, but I think now this needs a thread of its own. 

The QB spot for the Jets is EVERYTHING now.  

Here is the QB the Jets should draft in 2023.  Stanford's Tanner McKee.

Since, Stroud, Young and Levis will all be gone by pick 7, and I don't expect the Jets brass to trade up, McKee makes the most sense.

They can trade down lower in the first round, garner some extra picks to shore up other positions and take McKee who will probably be available at the bottom of round one.

McKee has very good size, a strong arm and excellent intangibles,  Best of all he would be an ideal for LeFleur's system.  McKee is outstanding with timing and ball placement.  Although not a running QB by any stretch of the imagination, he has clean footwork and can negotiate the pocket under pressure.   I'd describe him as the ideal QB to run a west coast offense like LeFleur's. 

Get acquainted with Stanford's Tanner McKee

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tanner-McKee-QB-Stanford

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tanner-mckee-qb-stanford-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/tanner-mckee-4aaa60a3-9f50-488b-b12f-b5dc3b2da216/

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/tannermckee

This is *MY* first round draft pick for the Jets after a trade down.  If my guess is correct, other people will learn what I already know and the Jets may not even want to chance trading out of 13th and just take him there.  

Is JD listening ???

No JD is not listening. Sign Mike White for a year. Give him teh job. If he flunks, maybe, but highly unlikely, Zach turns into a QB or not. In 2024,, you bring in a vet and draft another QB early.  A year under Mike White gives him the chance to see if he's really a starter.  Also gives Zach time to develop and raise his trade value or transition to him.  I think Mike White would go for that. Don't see JD giving him a long term deal. Prove it deal. Mike White is a stand up guy. He'd jump at that chance. 

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hooker is turning 25 next week.  No way.  Hes older then Herbert who just finished his 3rd year in the nfl.  Thats crazy.

I don't  think being 3 years older than other QBs as a rookie really matters at QB. RB, WR, and TE, yes, but QB's are starting to play well into their 40s if they are good

On 1/4/2023 at 4:15 PM, THE BARON said:

wtf ? Young, Stroud, Levis ??? 

I tried telling you this back in the off-season when you told me there were 5+ first round QBs.  Then the college football season occurred and guess what happened?

Young is the only one worth his draft grade, and he might be smaller/shorter than Kyler Murray.

Fields was more impressive at OSU than Stroud and, while he has improved with the Bears, still struggles immensely with passing the football.

Will Levis doesn’t even need to be discussed; he was incredibly disappointing this year.

Anthony Richardson?  Massive disappointment.

Spencer Rattler?  I told you back then that he wasn’t worthy of a first round pick, and looks like I was correct there.

I’ve made my point pretty clear.  @T0mShaneis right.  This is an atrocious class with prospects that the Jets have no business taking in the first or second round (outside Young or *maybe* Stroud.)

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I tried telling you this back in the off-season when you told me there were 5+ first round QBs.  Then the college football season occurred and guess what happened?

Young is the only one worth his draft grade, and he might be smaller/shorter than Kyler Murray.

Fields was more impressive at OSU than Stroud and, while he has improved with the Bears, still struggles immensely with passing the football.

Will Levis doesn’t even need to be discussed; he was incredibly disappointing this year.

Spencer Rattler?  I told you back then that he wasn’t worthy of a first round pick, and looks like I was correct there.

I’ve made my point pretty clear.  @T0mShaneis right.  This is an atrocious class with prospects that the Jets have no business taking in the first or second round (outside Young or *maybe* Stroud.)

Stroud is a good pocket passer, I’d take him over fields.  Good accuracy and ball placement and stands in the pocket and delivers.  Assuming the jets lose tomorrow and secure a top 10 pick, if stroud starts to slip in the draft I’d want the jets to go get him. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Stroud is a good pocket passer, I’d take him over fields.  Good accuracy and ball placement and stands in the pocket and delivers.  Assuming the jets lose tomorrow and secure a top 10 pick, if stroud starts to slip in the draft I’d want the jets to go get him. 

When push comes to shove, all of these things were said about Fields as well.  Back then, the point was that he’s “different” than all of the other OSU QBs.  The book hasn’t been written on Justin yet, but turns out that being a pocket passer is much easier when you have an o-line that gives you ten seconds to throw to your future collegiate HoF wide receivers.

If he slips, fine, I could live with it, but I wouldn’t be shocked in the least if he looks like Geno Smith did in his rookie year when the defenses hit him and show him that NFL life is much different than college, where you can put up video game numbers.

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

When push comes to shove, all of these things were said about Fields as well.  Back then, the point was that he’s “different” than all of the other OSU QBs.  The book hasn’t been written on Justin yet, but turns out that being a pocket passer is much easier when you have an o-line that gives you ten seconds to throw to your future collegiate HoF wide receivers.

If he slips, fine, I could live with it, but I wouldn’t be shocked in the least if he looks like Geno Smith did in his rookie year when the defenses hit him and show him that NFL life is much different than college, where you can put up video game numbers.

Defenses should always pressure rookie qbs.  But what i like about stroud is that he is inherently a pocket passer and i believe he has the innate accuracy that someone like wilson lacks.  So i would prefer taking someone like stroud who is much more of a pro prospect and you don’t have to tailor the whole offense around, unlike fields, who you really must leverage his running ability to get your money’s worth.  

40 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The one I think we’d be in range to draft who might be good is Stroud, but here are Stroud’s negatives via PFF’s Mike Remmer. Tell me if this sounds familiar: 

9DED5CB5-1B17-4487-87E6-4CA5D7100CDA.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Defenses should always pressure rookie qbs.  But what i like about stroud is that he is inherently a pocket passer and i believe he has the innate accuracy that someone like wilson lacks.  So i would prefer taking someone like stroud who is much more of a pro prospect and you don’t have to tailor the whole offense around, unlike fields, who you really must leverage his running ability to get your money’s worth.  

I get what you’re saying, but my point is that the narrative around Fields, when he was drafted, wasn’t “you have to tailor the offense around his running ability, ala Lamar” when he was coming out of college.  The narrative was that he was a very good, very accurate, pocket passer who put the ball in excellent spots, maybe even better spots than Lawrence, so that his skill position players could maximize their YAC.  This was a big reason people made the case for him over Trevor.  Then he got to the NFL, showed the exact opposite, because it’s a lot harder to do what he did in college against NFL defenses, and now he’s a run-first QB who is struggling mightily to pass.  Quite frankly, I have seen absolutely nothing from Stroud that indicates that he will fare any better, and the stats @T0mShane posted are particularly scary.  What makes it worse is that Stroud is nowhere near as athletic as Fields, so he doesn’t really have that running ability to fall back on.  You’d just be getting someone like early Geno Smith.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The one I think we’d be in range to draft who might be good is Stroud, but here are Stroud’s negatives via PFF’s Mike Remmer. Tell me if this sounds familiar: 

9DED5CB5-1B17-4487-87E6-4CA5D7100CDA.jpeg

I’ve been saying that it would not shock me at all if Stroud slips like Fields did.  People are going to pop on that tape and see some great things, but also some very very very scary things.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’ve been saying that it would not shock me at all if Stroud slips like Fields did.  People are going to pop on that tape and see some great things, but also some very very very scary things.

The guy @THE BARON was pimping is the new hot riser in the draft community, but you read two interviews with him and it’s just like no. This is why I think Zach might have more trade value than people think. Teams are going to look at this draft class, then look at Zach’s tools, and decide they’d rather work with that instead. Zach—even with all the bad tape—would probably the best QB prospect in this draft when you’re looking at the component parts—size, speed, arm, brain, etc. 

• Upvote 1

To address Tanner McKee:

Im not touching him before the 4th or 5th round.  I think he has a small chance to be something, but he is gonna have to clean up a lot; particularly his Sam Darnold-like throwing motion, decision making, and lower half mechanics.  Yes, the kid wears number 18, but Manning he is not.  I do like his arm strength, ball placement/accuracy, and size though.  It took me a while to remember who he reminded me of, but I’d say Connor Cook, if Connor Cook had a long release and didn’t have character concerns, would be my comp.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The guy @THE BARON was pimping is the new hot riser in the draft community, but you read two interviews with him and it’s just like no. This is why I think Zach might have more trade value than people think. Teams are going to look at this draft class, then look at Zach’s tools, and decide they’d rather work with that instead. Zach—even with all the bad tape—would probably the best QB prospect in this draft when you’re looking at the component parts—size, speed, arm, brain, etc. 

I am definitely familiar with McKee (see above). He was my sleeper for this year and it just never materialized.  If you told me we could get him in the late 4th - early 5th to replace White, even if not right away?  Sure.  2nd-3rd? No way mah boy.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

To address Tanner McKee:

Im not touching him before the 4th or 5th round.  I think he has a small chance to be sometime, but he is gonna have to clean up a lot, particularly his Sam Darnold-like throwing motion, decision making, and lower half mechanics.  Yes, the kid wears number 18, but Manning he is not.  I do like his arm strength, ball placement/accuracy, and size though.  It took me a while to remember who he reminded me of, but I’d say Connor Cook, if Connor Cook had a long release and didn’t have character concerns, would be my comp.

Tanner McKee is like Kenneth the Page playing quarterback. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because of the perceived ineptitude of the jets coaches i think douglas can flip him like he did darnold.  There was a time i thought it was a no brainer that douglas would take someone like Paris in the first to shore up the line, but if the jets are picking 9th or 10th, i could see douglas making a jump to get stroud to try and rectify the wilson mistake.  

• Upvote 1

I would be all over Levis if he was a couple of year younger. Being 24 already isn’t ideal for a guy who may have to sit.

The internet rhetoric on him is Allen/Herbert all over again. Players who demonstrated good talent in horrible circumstances which led to the internet scouts writing them off. He was under pressure on 40% of his throws throwing to guys constantly covered.

He goes top 5 imo.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Young, Stroud, Levis, AR will all still go in the 1st.   Rattler maybe not but give him credit, dude played very well for SC down the stretch w/ this 2 best games vs. top 10 teams.

40 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Because of the perceived ineptitude of the jets coaches i think douglas can flip him like he did darnold.  There was a time i thought it was a no brainer that douglas would take someone like Paris in the first to shore up the line, but if the jets are picking 9th or 10th, i could see douglas making a jump to get stroud to try and rectify the wilson mistake.  

Under nooooooo circumstances can they go back to the rookie well, especially for a guy who’s not ready to go right now

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Under nooooooo circumstances can they go back to the rookie well, especially for a guy who’s not ready to go right now

there are lots of clases that look bad and have some surprises but yeah does look bad however I think they should still try to find a diamond in rough if for nothing more than dev prospect.

6 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

there are lots of clases that look bad and have some surprises but yeah does look bad however I think they should still try to find a diamond in rough if for nothing more than dev prospect.

They won’t be here long enough to develop anybody. 

55 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I would be all over Levis if he was a couple of year younger. Being 24 already isn’t ideal for a guy who may have to sit.

The internet rhetoric on him is Allen/Herbert all over again. Players who demonstrated good talent in horrible circumstances which led to the internet scouts writing them off. He was under pressure on 40% of his throws throwing to guys constantly covered.

He goes top 5 imo.

The age shouldn’t count against him.

If a team feels he is Allen/Herbert level you tale him.

• Sign White
  • Keep Zach with a real QB coach.
  • If a QB is available when the Jets pick, anywhere, who represents reasonable value, you take him.
  • If the need still exists sign a Dalton/Minshew type.  
  • Build the OL, with quality draft picks who can be here a long time and not get hurt all the time, with high picks.  

Since we would not be signing a high priced veteran, we should not need to mortgage the farm too bad for FA OL.  

This assumes that we are not signing Jimmy G.  

Assuming Zach’s cap cost is $9mm, I think we have about a $35mm maximum budget for QB, which is a fair bit.  If Jimmy G need more than $23mm (will need QB3), that cost will need to be pushed into 2024 when Zach Rolls off. 

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Can’t waist picks in the first few rounds on a QB prospect when the jets desperately need to repair their Maginot line, find a Free Safety who can cover TEs, a DT to take the load off Q, and a playmaking LB.

2017 we didn’t waste a pick on QB prospects named Mahomes or Watson, took a safety instead….

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is borderline compulsive.  We have seen two years of Zach Wilson with all the same mistakes and zero improvement.  Considering the possible performance of a prospect like Tanner McKee is speculative, indeed.  I can't see any reason to discount your evaluation of McKee. Fans will be fans. That's what we are here for.  To discuss.  Regardless, your consideration of Zach Wilson is not defensible by any solid reasoning.  He's not ever going to perform well as an NFL QB.  We all have the proof, QED.  

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

We have your opinion and your pal Tom's.  And we have mine.  We'll see.  And we'll be here to discuss.