The QB The Jets Should Draft In 2023

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Can’t waist picks in the first few rounds on a QB prospect when the jets desperately need to repair their Maginot line, find a Free Safety who can cover TEs, a DT to take the load off Q, and a playmaking LB.

That's how you end up drafting Jamal Adams 2.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

No highly drafted QBs. This is a team that can win now with a bunch of young very talented players. Do not waste their rookie window trying to develop a QB from Ohio State please. Get a proven QB and let’s see what happens in the playoffs next year

There's a term for QBs that are allowed to hit the open market.  It's "expensive retread".

9 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

No JD is not listening. Sign Mike White for a year. Give him teh job. If he flunks, maybe, but highly unlikely, Zach turns into a QB or not. In 2024,, you bring in a vet and draft another QB early.  A year under Mike White gives him the chance to see if he's really a starter.  Also gives Zach time to develop and raise his trade value or transition to him.  I think Mike White would go for that. Don't see JD giving him a long term deal. Prove it deal. Mike White is a stand up guy. He'd jump at that chance. 

Interesting take.  I dont see MW as the QB the Jets want.  Not even close.  He is a back-up level NFL QB.  In this day and age, you need a "special" QB.  All other priorities take a back seat.  The QB spot is so important, any and every reach to get one until you have one is reasonable.  Including, keeping White, Wilson, bringing in a vet FA and drafting one in 2023.  One of them can run the prep team. 

I can't say this often enough or strongly enough.

The QB is everything.  Until the Jets have a very good one, get used to year in and year out disappointment.

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Young, Stroud, Levis, AR will all still go in the 1st.   Rattler maybe not but give him credit, dude played very well for SC down the stretch w/ this 2 best games vs. top 10 teams.

I think AR will fall, and I’ll definitely give Rattler credit.  His issues, IMO, are “other” things, but we’ll see how that goes in the NFL.  My point was more of a “projection vs deserved draft spot.”  Obviously, plenty of QBs get taken in the first, even if they don’t necessarily deserve to.

I am definitely familiar with McKee (see above). He was my sleeper for this year and it just never materialized.  If you told me we could get him in the late 4th - early 5th to replace White, even if not right away?  Sure.  2nd-3rd? No way mah boy.
I can totally see him as a 4th round replacement for White. I was thinking he might go a bit higher because of this year's weak QB class.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

The age shouldn’t count against him.

If a team feels he is Allen/Herbert level you tale him.

It’s not just the age. It’s that on top of the fact that I’d probably look to sit him initially while he adjusts to the speed of the NFL. What we should have done with Zach.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I can totally see him as a 4th round replacement for White. I was thinking he might go a bit higher because of this year's weak QB class.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

McKee won't make it past the second round, I don't think.  

• Thumb Down 1

On 1/4/2023 at 8:25 PM, Warfish said:

Or, we can keep engaging in the insanity of doing the same thing over and over, draft another young bust high in the draft, rush him to start since we've got nothing else, then fire Saleh at end of 23' when he disappoints because of the QB, and have this new drafted QB be "not the new Coach's guy" in 2024, repeating the cycle all over again...

I honestly couldn't disagree with this more.

You can't allow past trauma to dictate future decisions to this extent. I do worry that this is the line of thinking in the front office/ownership as well as the pressure on them to turn things around right away, but I also don't think their personal interests should be dictating the long term health of the team.

We should be exploring the QB options in the draft. We shouldn't force a pick for the sake of it but absolutely do our due diligence on the prospects to see if there's a guy worth investing in. 

Look at the teams currently in the AFC playoff positions. 7 of 7 are there with QB's they drafted in the first round. 4/7 teams in the NFC are there with QB's they drafted. It is the surest avenue to long term success and just because the Jets have been abysmal with picks historically doesn't mean you discard the notion for the sake of it. 

I've said before that I think we're signing Carr/Garoppolo and they'll be grossly overpaid for what they are - I'm not at all convinced it's the right move and think it stinks of desperation. Part of why I wouldn't hate parting with Douglas/Saleh now is that it would open up these options which should be on the table. I'll be sick to my stomach if these guys are balling out in 2-3 years while Jimmy Garoppolo retires with injury issues after playing 15 games with the Jets. 

22 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I honestly couldn't disagree with this more.

You can't allow past trauma to dictate future decisions to this extent.

But you CAN learn from past mistakes, both your own (for JD that clearly is Wilson, the 3rd worst QB in NFL history!) and those of others who came before you.

I do worry that this is the line of thinking in the front office/ownership as well as the pressure on them to turn things around right away, but I also don't think their personal interests should be dictating the long term health of the team.

We should be exploring the QB options in the draft.

Of course we should explore what is available.  We're almost assured to be picking after all three top QB's are gone, i.e. outside the top 10 picks.

If we pull another Darnold, trading multiple picks to move up, for what looks like a mediocre class of QB prospects, we will have failed to learn from the past.

We shouldn't force a pick for the sake of it but absolutely do our due diligence on the prospects to see if there's a guy worth investing in.

No disagreement here.  We should always do our due diligence.

Same goes for Free Agents.  

With that said, the solution now, for us, is a proven veteran.  Not another lottery ticket kid.

Look at the teams currently in the AFC playoff positions. 7 of 7 are there with QB's they drafted in the first round. 4/7 teams in the NFC are there with QB's they drafted.

So three teams did it a different way.  Which shows it can be done a different way.

The way the 11 teams did has failed for 20 years for us, and we're outside where we can just get a new QB this year AND we're almost assured not even to try because we're almost assuredly keeping Wilson.

So again, a Veteran to beat Wilson's ass in camp in the only real-world solution.

It is the surest avenue to long term success and just because the Jets have been abysmal with picks historically doesn't mean you discard the notion for the sake of it.

I haven't discarded the notion.  It's simply the wrong direction now.  Going this route would be yet more Same Old Jets.

I've said before that I think we're signing Carr/Garoppolo and they'll be grossly overpaid for what they are - I'm not at all convinced it's the right move and think it stinks of desperation.

And trading up (at great cost) for Young or Stroud or even Richardson, presuming it could even happen with all the desperate QB teams ahead of us, somehow doesn't stink of desperation, lol? 

Or do you think a sh*t-show of White/Wilson/Hooker (drafted way too high if we want him) is a real winning recipie?

Part of why I wouldn't hate parting with Douglas/Saleh now is that it would open up these options which should be on the table.

What option is it you think is realistically available here?  At best, where we likely end up picking, we might have chance at Will Levis from KY.  Does that excite you in some way?  Or are you a Hooker guy and want to draft a 2nd round prospect in the first?

I'll be sick to my stomach if these guys are balling out in 2-3 years while Jimmy Garoppolo retires with injury issues after playing 15 games with the Jets. 

Says a whole ton of people every year here.  Most never ball out.

Also, I don't want Jimmy G.  Like White, he's too fragile.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:35 PM, Lith said:

I agree and I think tis is the only way to go right now.  Draft a developmental guy on day 2 or 3 if you want, but lets get a competent vet in here.  The two best QB seasons we have had since Favre in 2008 have been McCown in 2017 and Fitz in 2015, which is an incredibly depressing statement. 

I am done with rookie QBs getting thrown into the fire and being handed the job.  We need a solid vet who can give us competent play while we look to find and develop a young stud.

I agree this would be ideal but @Warfish asked for a a real vet, one with a future and a history of actual production and performance.  Like who?  How many let these type QBs go?  Closest to this is who, Jimmy G?  And no one else given so many want no part of a Carr.  No one else fits the bill.  

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I think AR will fall, and I’ll definitely give Rattler credit.  His issues, IMO, are “other” things, but we’ll see how that goes in the NFL.  My point was more of a “projection vs deserved draft spot.”  Obviously, plenty of QBs get taken in the first, even if they don’t necessarily deserve to.

I think AR w/ go top 20, no doubt.  He's the freakiest players to come out since Miles Garrett and he plays QB, that type of talent doesnt fall no matter what the tape shows. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Interesting take.  I dont see MW as the QB the Jets want.  Not even close.  He is a back-up level NFL QB.  In this day and age, you need a "special" QB.  All other priorities take a back seat.  The QB spot is so important, any and every reach to get one until you have one is reasonable.  Including, keeping White, Wilson, bringing in a vet FA and drafting one in 2023.  One of them can run the prep team. 

I can't say this often enough or strongly enough.

The QB is everything.  Until the Jets have a very good one, get used to year in and year out disappointment.

Special QB?  I aint touching that.  No Mike White is not a scrambling ramblin QB but he can be very effective with the right personnel around him and put points on the board.  And we need a QB to do that. Our defense will get better over the next few years and JD will straighten out the OL and rest of the offense. A controlled offense and kick azz running game with a solid defense and that would take us a long way.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree this would be ideal but @Warfish asked for a a real vet, one with a future and a history of actual production and performance.  Like who?  How many let these type QBs go?  Closest to this is who, Jimmy G?  And no one else given so many want no part of a Carr.  No one else fits the bill.  

Depends on what you are looking for.  We are not finding a top 10 QB in free agency.  But for the last three years, we have had the worst QB in the NFL statistically (by passer rating).  Sam in 2020 and Zach in 21 & 22.  Sign a competent vet who may be closer to 20th best rather than 32nd.  A competent NFL QB who will not preclude us from drafting/developing a young QB in 23 or 24.

I would love to get Carr -- with this roster, I think we can be a playoff team in 23 with Carr.  Or Jimmy G if he somehow stays healthy.  But there are plenty of guys out there that gie us a baseline of competent play we have not seen in years:  Mayfield, Minshew, Brissett, Geno, Heinecke, are all FA and aside from Geno, they are all 30 or younger. Trubisky, Winston or Mariota could be cut.  These guys are all likely to give us better QB play than we have had since 2017.  But none of them would prevent us from drafting a kid this year or next.  Nor should they stop us from playing Zach if he somehow puts it together.

I jsut want to know that we have at least one competent veteran NFL QB in the room in 2023.  Maybe Mike White could have been the guy, but in 2 seasons, when given the chance, he has not shown an ability to stay on the field.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Special QB?  I aint touching that.  No Mike White is not a scrambling ramblin QB but he can be very effective with the right personnel around him and put points on the board.  And we need a QB to do that. Our defense will get better over the next few years and JD will straighten out the OL and rest of the offense. A controlled offense and kick azz running game with a solid defense and that would take us a long way.

40 points in his last 3 games, 0 tds 4ints  All critical late season games.  He has been very effective in 2 of his 8 career games.  In the other 6 games?   2 tds - 12 ints

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

40 points in his last 3 games, 0 tds 4ints  All critical late season games.  He has been very effective in 2 of his 8 career games.  In the other 6 games?   2 tds - 12 ints

Come on man he's been hurt and STILL tried to play.  He will be the starter next year. No doubt. His teammates love the guy. When was the last time someone wore your face on a t-shirt? Hmmmm?  

21 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Have a look here.  It will only take a few minutes of your time, but you will see what I do. And many of those passes were made vs a good defense with good CB.   If Stanford had a better team and was making more noise, McKee would be a first round lock 

Looks pretty good. We need to draft a qb early and sign a vet. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2023 at 3:19 PM, THE BARON said:

I have been speaking about this in a few threads, but I think now this needs a thread of its own. 

The QB spot for the Jets is EVERYTHING now.  

Here is the QB the Jets should draft in 2023.  Stanford's Tanner McKee.

Since, Stroud, Young and Levis will all be gone by pick 7, and I don't expect the Jets brass to trade up, McKee makes the most sense.

They can trade down lower in the first round, garner some extra picks to shore up other positions and take McKee who will probably be available at the bottom of round one.

McKee has very good size, a strong arm and excellent intangibles,  Best of all he would be an ideal for LeFleur's system.  McKee is outstanding with timing and ball placement.  Although not a running QB by any stretch of the imagination, he has clean footwork and can negotiate the pocket under pressure.   I'd describe him as the ideal QB to run a west coast offense like LeFleur's. 

Get acquainted with Stanford's Tanner McKee

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tanner-McKee-QB-Stanford

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tanner-mckee-qb-stanford-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/tanner-mckee-4aaa60a3-9f50-488b-b12f-b5dc3b2da216/

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/tannermckee

This is *MY* first round draft pick for the Jets after a trade down.  If my guess is correct, other people will learn what I already know and the Jets may not even want to chance trading out of 13th and just take him there.  

Is JD listening ???

63% completion. Oh wow. I'd be all in if it were 64%.  He looks like a statue.  His release is long and he looks like a pitcher when releasing the football.  He's also not very fast,.  And those WR's on those throws made some amazing catches. Not overly impressed. Actually not impressed at all.