Rule Changes (NFL vs NCAAF)

There are certain rules I think should be universal for both NFL and college ball, especially given the fact that NCAAF is the unofficial “farm system” of the NFL.

• No game should end in a tie…ever. NFL needs to get on board with this.

• Conversely NCAAF needs to do kickoffs during their overtimes like NFL with each team getting a chance to score unless a TD on first possession.

• Contact necessary to be ruled down to end the play. NCAAF needs to adopt this like the NFL.

• 1 foot in bounds to make a catch! NFL should adopt this like college ball.

• NCAAF clock stopping after a 1st down is garbage. Let it run like the NFL.

• All plays are reviewable in college. This shouldn’t that complicated and the NFL needs to implement it.

• Pass interference at spot of the foul in the NFL but not college. NCAAF needs to add that.

• 2 minute warning. Get rid of it NFL. I know its for advertisement nonsense but that’s not a good enough reason.

Any other things ?…

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

There are certain rules I think should be universal for both NFL and college ball, especially given the fact that NCAAF is the unofficial “farm system” of the NFL.

Pretty sure asking the NFL to play more overtime football and exposing players to injuries is not going to be well received given what happened Monday night. 

Some of these college games go 5 or 6 OTs.

• Upvote 1

All plays are reviewable in college. This shouldn’t that complicated and the NFL needs to implement it.

Absolutely.  Everything called or "non-called" on the field MUST be reviewable.  BTW, Belichick has been advocating this for eons and he's right.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty sure asking the NFL to play more overtime football and exposing players to injuries is not going to be well received given what happened Monday night. 

Yeah... forget about anything that will add playing time to a game or more time on the practice field. It won't go over well and probably will get quickly vetoed.  And of course no one likes ties, but I don't see it as any kind of urgent "problem" that needs to be imminently addressed.  Forget about extending overtime in the NFL.  Ties will likely remain.

29 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

• Conversely NCAAF needs to do kickoffs during their overtimes like NFL with each team getting a chance to score unless a TD on first possession.

• Contact necessary to be ruled down to end the play. NCAAF needs to adopt this like the NFL.

• All plays are reviewable in college. This shouldn’t that complicated and the NFL needs to implement it.

• Pass interference at spot of the foul in the NFL but not college. NCAAF needs to add that.

• 2 minute warning. Get rid of it NFL. I know its for advertisement nonsense but that’s not a good enough reason.

Any other things ?…

Amazingly I almost disagree with every one. I wouldn't even be opposed to games that end in a tie are just tied in the regular season.

• WTF? 1

29 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Fair point. How about for regular season games only, field goal “penalty shot” kicks from 40 until one team misses?

There’s just something un-American about a tie…

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Any other things ?…

Good post. I agree with all except:

2 feet in bounds for a catch for both

2 minute warning: if you get rid of it, need to give 4 time outs instead of 3. IIRC, many moons ago they actually had 3 timeouts per quarter and then changed it to the current format. It may have been 2 per quarter, just can't remember exactly. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Fair point. How about for regular season games only, field goal “penalty shot” kicks from 40 until one team misses?

There’s just something un-American about a tie…

Don't like it, shouldn't come down to who has the better kicker. 

I mentioned in another thread awhile back to have a shoot out similar to hockey. Each team tries a 2 point conversation until it is decided. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Don't like it, shouldn't come down to who has the better kicker. 

I mentioned in another thread awhile back to have a shoot out similar to hockey. Each team tries a 2 point conversation until it is decided. 

Oh damn I like that a lot better. That’s perfect.

- 2 feet in bounds for both

- I want NFL to adopt College OT

- I don't mind knee down play over. I think that helps limits big hits on players, could extend careers. Remember each hit is like getting in a car accident.

- Gotta keep 2 min warning IMO, I think it's good for the game and narrative of the overall story of the game.

- I don't like the clock stopping after 1st downs in college, I'd change that and add a 2 min warning to simulate NFL conditions.

- I hate PI as a spot foul, I think I'd like to see an egregious (spot foul) and accidental (10 yard) flags for this

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

No game should end in a tie…ever. NFL needs to get on board with this.

Definitely. Ties are the bane my existence. They make no sense and mess up nice numbers.

1 foot in bounds to make a catch! NFL should adopt this like college ball.

Disagree with this. I think it should be the other way around. NCAAF should make it 2 feet in so the players are actually ready for this in the NFL. Making it one foot for both doesn't seem professional.

All plays are reviewable in college. This shouldn’t that complicated and the NFL needs to implement it.

This definitely. Nobody cares if the game runs an extra 20 minutes because of reviews.

Pass interference at spot of the foul in the NFL but not college. NCAAF needs to add that.

I really don't know which way it should go here. PI is sometimes a very debatable call, and WRs sometimes get special treatment. They can draw PI that didn't happen and make huge gains that shouldn't have happened. On the flip side, if you limit the penalty yardage on PI, DBs could easily just commit it to prevent a larger play. I would say keep it as it is but change the rules that determine what PI is to make it as clear as possible.

All the others I either agree with or don't really care about.

In reality if any rule changes happen it should be in the NCAAF and keep the NFL the same. However some NFL rules are kind of garbage, like ties.

OT needs an overhaul and I don't think either way is how it should work. I just don't know how it should.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Absolutely.  Everything called or "non-called" on the field MUST be reviewable.  BTW, Belichick has been advocating this for eons and he's right.

I'd rather they do less reviews.  There's already way too much stoppage of plays.  Just give each side 2 more TOs to use for any reviews per half

14 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Any other things ?…

As far as ties, I agree, they are unacceptable.

Go to a field goal shootout. Problem solved. 

Any other things ?…

Overall a good list but you totally blundered and got backwards the most important one, that being spot of foul pi.

It should be like college 15 yards and a first down.  Every week and including last week we see multiple 50 yard judgement penalties on lob it up for grabs dubious close penalties.  These penalties are far more punitive than they should be and no, DBs are not going to be grabbing and interfering on every play.  15 yards and a 1st down is a severe penalty.

• Upvote 2

NCAAF doesn't need to add 40 yard penalties, the NFL needs to add 15 yarders.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

PI needs to change to the college rule, not vice versa.  That it is a spot foul in the NFL is my least favorite rule in sports.  

I'd never advocate for a ref to make a judgement call, but I think PI is one that we can turn into a judgement call. Just like refs can determine defensive holding vs. PI, or running into the kicker vs. roughing the kicker. I think there should be PI and IPI (intentional PI). I think if it's not intentional, it should only be 15 yards and the 1st, but if it's intentional, it should be the spot.

Refs are going to get it wrong some of the times anyway. They're currently getting it wrong a lot. Might as well try to limit the absolutely ridiculous game changing/backbreaking spot foul where we can. I agree that it is my least favorite rule in sports. 

• Upvote 1

I'd get rid of reviews all together. Live and die by the calls as they're made.

BUT...then have the NFL review each game. Teams can submit up to 10 plays (20?) for post-game review. If a team was jobbed by a bad call or bad missed call, then the team is awarded points. More points if the bad/missed call clearly effected the outcome. THEN, award comp picks to teams based on how many points they accrued during the previous season.

Everything from a 1st round comp pick to a team that was badly screwed over and over, to nothing for a team where the calls were all fairly normal.

It will always suck when a call goes the wrong way but knowing we could be getting a comp pick in the next draft will ease the pain.

Having the NFL review every call 'in game' would take forever, and even then the non-calls can play just as big a part. If you wanna review every call and every missed call during the game, save it for the POs or SB.

• More Ugh 1

@Joe Willie White Shoesya I get it. But even today, teams can submit plays to the NFL for review, but nothing happens, The most a team can hope for is the NFL apologize for a bad call the ruined the game. So why not review every game, then do something for teams that got screwed, like give them a comp pick.

Edit: Teams already get comp picks for losing starters to FA, or they get comp picks for hiring a minority. So why not a comp pick for getting screwed over by officiating?

16 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I like the 2 ft inbounds NFL rule

Want less reviews not more

PI should be 15 yds in NFL not spot foul and no PI should get First and goal from ! yd line. Would love to know what percentage of these end up as TDs. You are essentially awarding the offense a TD because somebody touched a WR.

And one you did not mention NFL needs to add college targeting / player DQed rule. Adds more reviews which as I said I am generally against but in this case I think it is needed

15 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'd never advocate for a ref to make a judgement call, but I think PI is one that we can turn into a judgement call. Just like refs can determine defensive holding vs. PI, or running into the kicker vs. roughing the kicker. I think there should be PI and IPI (intentional PI). I think if it's not intentional, it should only be 15 yards and the 1st, but if it's intentional, it should be the spot.

Refs are going to get it wrong some of the times anyway. They're currently getting it wrong a lot. Might as well try to limit the absolutely ridiculous game changing/backbreaking spot foul where we can. I agree that it is my least favorite rule in sports. 

I like this best.

As it is, it's too easy to get a 50 yard play, on a pass that had a good chance of not being caught anyway, as though every receiver has a 100% catch rate (particularly on the longer downfield throws). On the other hand, making it only 15 yards provides an incentive to strategically commit PIs in the game's final seconds.

Making it a judgment that some PIs are worse than others, and not because of how far the ball was thrown. Just like there way they used to have two levels of facemask penalties. 

The way it is right now is akin to keeping that "force out" stupidity they used to enforce, that gave every receiver the benefit of the doubt that he'd have gotten 2 feet down in bounds if not for the push. Awarding half a football field on a low percentage throw on what's a tick-tack contact is overboard.

There's at least some solid rationale behind it. Absent a full spot of the foul rule, the defense - intentionally or otherwise, and whether it's mild or severe - would be rewarded for committing a penalty. A gamewinning TD 40-50-yard TD pass shouldn't be negated into just 15 yards that (a) gives the D a do-over to defend the play better, and (b) forces the offense to again throw a TD pass -- 3x if the D decides to commit PI yet again. Putting that on the 1 is about the best that can be done there, short of awarding the TD itself. 

People are in favor of this now, until BB perfects DPI training for his team and it costs the Jets TDs against them (once we start a QB who can throw TDs against them, of course). 

There is no perfect/easy solution, unfortunately.