If Zach is on the team in 2023...

Dunnie

If Zach Stays ....  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How will you react to Zach Wilson remaining on the roster in 2023 ? Assuming he is not handed the QB1 position without merit.

• I will trash him repeatedly daily until he's off the roster at all costs.
    • I will support him, hoping that somehow a light switch goes on, the Jets hire a respectable QB coach, and LaFleur learned something this year.
    • I will start drinking the moment that happens.

Zach is an albatross around JD's neck. After trading Darnold before the  2021 draft, he had no choice but to draft a QB. Strike 1.

That QB was a bust. Strike two.

This leads to the current dilemma: Being a GM who traded away two first round QB's in 4 years or pray that Zach can be salvaged. 

He's not gonna get anything higher than a 4th rounder and what if Zach goes to another team and does improve?

JD will be fired and will never get another job anywhere ever again. His best and probably only option is to hold onto Zach and pray.

• Upvote 2

This reminds me a little of when the 49ers had QB problems with Alex Smith if anyone recalls?

The 49ers drafted Alex Smith #1 in 2005 out of the University of Utah and his problems began because one problem was, he couldn't get the offense because he had numerous offensive coordinators until Harbaugh came in and settled on one offensive system to use. The second problem, he was injured prone and lost his position to Kaepernick from a concussion. 

Zach needs to stay local and workout in the offseason with his WR's and offensive coordinator. He better remember that the writing is on the wall now and he is about to lose his job permanently if he doesn't change approach and learn the system.

• Upvote 1

How about this organization stops looking at him at a viable option without him earning his way on the team. If he is on the team, send him to the back of the line. It is time we treat him like a late round pick. To me, he is another practice squad qb looking to survive.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Jets path forward with ZW: 2023 he rides the pine as QB2 behind (fill in the blank). Watching and Learning. Working on his game during the weeks. 2024 he competes for and wins the starting QB1 job.

Now's where it gets interesting. ZW as QB1 will rise above and be thee FQB we really need. Or, ZW will sink (once again) and Joe Douglas will draft Arch Manning out of Texas in 2025.

Either way, Jets will have a FQB starting in 2025. Win Win

As always, I'll root for the starting QB to be awesome and lead us to glory. Assuming Wilson isn't starting, I probably won't think about him much (I don't think I thought about Mike White at all this year until Saleh announced that he was starting). 

If/when Wilson is forced to play, I'll hope for the miracle that the"light" actually went on. 

As always, hope for the best but expect the worst. 

None of the above. 

Zach will remain on the roster but be benched for a legit veteran starter. We will most likely not see him on the field at all. There will be no reason to have any resentment towards him. All reports will be saying that he is looking good in practice, learning and in general being a 'good boy'.  

In case there is an injury to our vet starter and Zach DOES happen to play, my guess is he will play ok. He may not be stellar but he will be just fine. JD will shore up the O-line, this defense will still be nasty and we will still have solid weapons on offense. 

None of the coaches will be fired. Fans overreact. GMs usually don't. Certainly not JD. The Jets should have made the playoffs, but only because the goal posts were moved and expectations were raised. The reality is they had no legit starting QB. Their worst fears were realized- Zach is NOT the guy (not yet) even though the team still had an opportunity to sneak into the postseason. Unfortunately, they just could not get over the hump. It sucks. But nobody will lose their job over the season this team put forth. 

I will fully support everyone on the team. 

• Upvote 2

If they sign a legitimate starting QB and continue to try to develop Zach, I will be fine with it.  By a legitimate candidate, I mean a Garrapolo or similar.  Someone who can complete 60+_ percent of his passes, read a defense, is careful with the ball and is competent in the red zone.  If Zach can take the starting job away from a veteran like that, it would be even better.

I would be concerned if LaFleur continues to force his system regardless of player fit.  We don't have the SF line or the SF pro bowl TE.  Play to the strength of the players you have.

It is clear that this team would have been a playoff team with average QB play.  Fix the O-line and get a DT, safety and LB;s who can stop the run and we will be fine.

Unless they can trade him for something worthwhile, it makes sense to keep him and hope he can be developed.  He doesn't earn much in the grand scheme of things, and he's still young enough to improve.

But he can't be the automatic starter in 2023.  The Jets have to have a credible veteran option - a legit starting quality NFL QB - that Wilson would have to beat out to earn any playing time.  Ideally, he sits behind a quality veteran for all of 2023.

If Zach can be a backup, his cash cost is only at a modest premium to what quality backup costs.  At that point JD crosses his fingers and hopes that Zach can develop into a quality backup, or better yet not see the field like the minority of backups.  

7 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Guys Tribisky was taken 2nd overall and was a better QB with the bears and where is he?

y’all gotta stop with this Zach Wilson delusion 

True. But there are many QBs that have had success after struggling their first couple of years. So, you can give up on him. I will be delusional.