Flacco IS Starting (Merged)

1 hour ago, Coquito said:

So why didn't they start him against the Lions? We could already have a playoff spot locked up and wouldn't even being having this asinine conversation right now. 

That was the play in Week ten. You pulled Zach for White for a reason. That reason didn't go away when White was injured. You still keep Zach on the bench and start Flacco. This entire meltdown and juggling QB's for 9 games never happens if they had done that. JUST DUMB MANAGEMENT OF THE ENTIRE SITUATION.

Flacco is the best QB right now because of what we saw from Zach vs the Lions and Jags. Flacco WAS NOT the best QB prior to that based on his plays subbing in for Mike White vs Buffalo the week prior.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If you are Zach Wilson and you give a sh*t about your future, you should be screaming from the roof of the building that you want to start the game on Sunday. How does this mush even walk back into that locker room?

You are without LT, RG, and RT not to mention your LG has been hot garbage. This was a business decision based on Zach's contract, his trade value, and the optics of White/Wilson losing to a 3rd string QB with the possibility of them being here next year.

There is nothing we or anyone else will gain from watching Zach throw against the Phins this week. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I hear you but what doesn't make sense then is having Zach be active at all. 

If their whole point is that Zach needs a "reset" and they want to give him a fresh start in training camp next year and have him forget about the football for the rest of the season - I'm a bit skeptical of that approach, but fine. But then don't make him the backup behind an immobile guy who doesn't look like he wants to be out there anyway, especially not behind the 3rd string OL. So now, Zach is the backup in a game he very well may have to play in with virtually no reps in practice all week? Just seems like a recipe for disaster. 

Zach won't play, he may dress but he won't see a snap. That and I imagine there will be a heavy dose of running. They will put in Streveler if Flacco goes down.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Flacco is the best QB right now because of what we saw from Zach vs the Lions and Jags. Flacco WAS NOT the best QB prior to that based on his plays subbing in for Mike White vs Buffalo the week prior.

I disagree, but whatever. It's total incoherence from the HC. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

You are without LT, RG, and RT not to mention your LG has been hot garbage. This was a business decision based on Zach's contract, his trade value, and the optics of White/Wilson losing to a 3rd string QB with the possibility of them being here next year.

There is nothing we or anyone else will gain from watching Zach throw against the Phins this week. 

Fair enough. 

I think the optics of being the backup to a washed up Joe Flacco with more than 20 starts under his belt are already bad enough, but I do agree that nothing he could do this week would meaningfully change the perception of him one way or another. 

I predicted 7-10 at the beginning of the year and I would have honestly been totally cool with that, provided that Zach Wilson took a meaningful step forward this year. He hasn't. This season is about as hollow of a 3 win improvement as I could have possibly imagined. No QB and no confidence that this coaching staff can guide a team to the playoffs. The whole thing feels like another Jets disaster.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Zach won't play, he may dress but he won't see a snap. That and I imagine there will be a heavy dose of running. They will put in Streveler if Flacco goes down.

??? Zach is the backup QB this week, unless I missed something? I guess we'll find out. 

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Very fair and accurate and I agree with you there is not one thing he would do if he played that would convince me however, if he was able to do some of the things he struggles with it would at least give 1% confidence if he is in fact in the plans for next year.   

The narrative has changed a bit since I posted the above since he is now backing up Flacco. My comment is more driven to the optic of the #2 QB in the draft who has 20+ starts not being able to travel and possibly play in a game where you are desparate for QB play.

The other item I struggle a bit with is the whole notion of Zach is broken, needs a reset, head is messed up etc. While this coaching staff all over the place and basically a giant cluster, Zach's struggles are mainly on him.

He does not do the basics, primarily see the field and identify open receivers. While I am no fan of the org that is in place, that is on Zach.  

I'd argue the confidence gained through this game is not worth risking offseason health.

Kyler Murray tore his ACL on a non-contact play and will now start partway through the 2023 campaign. We need Zach to be healthy for whatever coach or offseason program we want him in.

Zach getting injured in a meaningless game does not do us, Zach, or his trade value any good.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

So with playoffs and season on the line and only a few weeks removed from "THE GREAT RESET" they start Wilson who was clearly not ready.

With the playoffs out of reach and the team eliminated, they can't start the young developmental guy, and turn to the veteran....

confused-jaguarsfan.gif

Jets things

cc: @Jets Things

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd argue the confidence gained through this game is not worth risking offseason health.

Kyler Murray tore his ACL on a non-contact play and will now start partway through the 2023 campaign. We need Zach to be healthy for whatever coach or offseason program we want him in.

Zach getting injured in a meaningless game does not do us, Zach, or his trade value any good.

Fari and no argument.

Speaking of Kyler, I am trying to accumulate downvotes so how about Kingsbury for OC and Kyler for QB next year?

• Haha 1

So Wilson is still supposedly highly thought of by the Jets' braintrust. But getting him reps against a real NFL defense, something eh won't be able to do again until next August, no biggie.

This is total incoherence.  Inexplicable. Unless you are in fact dumping this worthless bum. 

If I were Flacco, I'd audible a handoff every down. He's probably got a Florida tee time Monday afternoon. Why am I gonna get clobbered on my last day as an NFL QB in a meaningless game? Phvck you, pay me. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

That’d be a legendary Jets moment—Flacco going down, the cameras pan over to Zach warming up, then Streveler running out onto the field to run QB dives for the rest of the afternoon while Zach chews gum.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Tiki Barber on FAN revealed something eye opening about how Daboll handled DJ from the beginning.

Said that in camp Daboll would intentionally give Wink Martindale the offensive plays DJ would be running ahead of time.

And he would give Wink the wrong plays for Tyrod, making Tyrod look good and DJ look worse.

He did this to test DJ’s attitude and mental toughness.

In other words, he intentionally made things harder to challenge his QB to see what he was made of.

DJ never complained and it actually helped him prepare better for the regular season.

Next-level stuff by Daboll.  Reminds me of something Parcells might have done.

Nothing was handed to DJ.  They didn’t even pick up his 5th year option.

Whereas ZW has been mollycoddled from day 1.

So weird that people value things more that they earn.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’d be a legendary Jets moment—Flacco going down, the cameras pan over to Zach warming up, then Streveler running out onto the field to run QB dives for the rest of the afternoon while Zach chews gum.

Sorry, meant Flacco hands it off a lot to not injure him. But yea I think in an injury situation we may look toward Strev. I think Zachs done this year.

5 hours ago, football guy said:

There’s no doubt that White is somewhat compromised by his ribs, but what we saw last week was more than his ribs. He has seen a steady decline in play, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the Jets — knowing the season is done — do not want to risk further damage (both injury and play). 

Despite what happened last week, they’ve seen what they wanted to see and they know who he is. They want him back to compete for the job next year. Nothing that would happen this weekend would change that, so no reason to feed him to the wolves

Healthy Mike White had no problems getting the ball to his playmakers. The last game due to the rib problem he was uncharacteristically throwing behind his WR's I hope they do know what they have in Mike White and really all they need to do rather than spending 30 + mil on failures at QB is get a big possession WR and jettison Corey Davis asap

• Upvote 4

I despise ZW as much as anybody, and even I think it’s ridiculous he isn’t starting Sunday.

What is to be gained by throwing Flacco to the wolves?

Once upon a time, Geno had an amazing season finale down in Miami for the Jets.  Most assumed it meant nothing.  But it showed he wasn’t completely hopeless.

Mind-boggling they wouldn’t afford ZW the same chance.  Unless he’s so frazzled right now he can’t even turn and hand the ball off.

I mean he’s already hit rock bottom.  What is there to lose?

Unless they’re just trying to preserve his health for an offseason trade?

If not, at least give Strev his chance at a full game.

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I despise ZW as much as anybody, and even I think it’s ridiculous he isn’t starting Sunday.

What is to be gained by throwing Flacco to the wolves?

Once upon a time, Geno had an amazing season finale down in Miami for the Jets.  Most assumed it meant nothing.  But it showed he wasn’t completely hopeless.

Mind-boggling they wouldn’t afford ZW the same chance.  Unless he’s so frazzled right now he can’t even turn and hand the ball off.

I mean he’s already hit rock bottom.  What is there to lose?

Unless they’re just trying to preserve his health for an offseason trade?  Laughable because ZW has no value.

If not, at least give Strev his chance at a full game.

No reason to despise ZW he's a bad QB for sure but we were all pulling for him for at least a few minutes before we saw him actually play.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Zach will be playing in garbage time/victory formation because Joe is about to throw for 500 yards and 4 TDs in his last career game

Can you please tell your friends that they aren’t fooling anyone and we all think that they are incompetent baboons ?

txs. 

• Haha 3

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/sean-payton-says-zach-wilson-absolutely-can-win-back-starting-job-despite-benching-wont-happen-overnight

"Do I think he can eventually earn that job? Absolutely I think he can," Peyton continued. "But he's not going to be able to do it today or tomorrow. But it's going to be a series of days, brick by brick, working on being the best teammate, but also working on the skill set. Because ultimately it's a production position. Ultimately, the respect of your players, the respect of your peers and your teammates, that's going to come when they've seen, and you've seen you can do it on a regular basis."

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Zach will be playing in garbage time/victory formation because Joe is about to throw for 500 yards and 4 TDs in his last career game

didnt Geno have the perfect QB rating last game of the year vs miami? that probably wasnt his last game as a jet though....

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

If Zach Wilson can't start against Skylar Thompson in a meaningless game what is this guy doing in the NFL 

Because NFL defenses will be less mean to him in 2023 after an offseason with John Beck and chilling at the posh Idaho ranch with Berrios

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think this is the first step of many bizarre surprising steps that will lead to a very different Jets team next year.  I did not say better team-a different team.  I think things in Florham Park are getting very weird. 

Agree.

I don’t think we are looking at replacing the oc and call it a day

3 hours ago, Coquito said:

You're not listening, and that's ok. 

Who's the FA QB you like that you think is going to come here watching the Jets put Flacco out there to take a beating and lose? After they ignored him all season when they could have used him when it was ideal?

No one is coming here. 

I don't know about all that but one thing I do know:

This very promising season has become an all time Jets sh!t show.

Definitely among the top 2-3 of all time.

Shall we all play let's name a worse season?  Anyone?     

• Upvote 3

Flacco will light it up in his swan song, going out on a high note while screwing the Jets over in draft position.  

Impossible? unlikely?  If you have been a Jets fan for any length of time, you know this is the outcome because that's how we roll.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1