The "2022 Was About Seeing What We Got in Zach Wilson" Poll

Warfish

Did we "See what we got in Zach Wilson" during the 2022 Season?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Did we "See what we got in Zach Wilson" during the 2022 Season?

• YES! We now know what we got in Zach Wilson.
    • NO! We still do not know what we got in Zach Wilson.
  2. 2. If you were the GM, and in light of your answer to Question #1, what do you do in re: Zach Wilson for 2023?

• We know what we got, and it's bad, so I move on from Zach Wilson this offseason.
    • We know what we got, and it's good, so I retain Zach and he competes for a role in 2023.
    • We still don't know what we got in Zach, so since he's a #2 overall pick, we just have to keep him and see how he does in 2023.

10 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

You need more options for Q2.

You know what we have w Zach, it's bad, but keep him since he's cheap and maybe he can be QB2

That's inherent in "he competes in 2023."

I specifically didn't say "competes to start in 2023" for this very reason, to allow this to be a broader option of "retain him" for any reason.

But I did go ahead and edit that one to more clearly state compete for "a role" in 2023.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's inherent in "he competes in 2023."

I specifically didn't say "competes to start in 2023" for this very reason, to allow this to be a broader option of "retain him" for any reason.

Unless a team wants him in a deal that helps us land a starter, you keep him for 2023.

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

Unless a team wants him in a deal that helps us land a starter, you keep him for 2023.

OK, then feel free to answer that way in the poll.  :) I'm not debating it, I just wanted the pulse of the forum community in this moment.

The poll responses are too cut and dry, IMO. 

I'd trade Zach if I could get a decent draft pick for him or another developmental QB I was interested in, but I wouldn't cut him. If I couldn't get at least a 3rd round pick for him, I'd leave him on the roster and let him compete in camp with (hopefully) a new offensive staff. IF I did trade Zach, I'd also draft a mid round QB this year to be develop for the future. 

Either way, I'd bring in the best vet QB I could get my hands on. I suspect that Carr is the best guy who would realistically come here, but I'm not even confident that he would seriously consider us and I would cast a wide net, regardless (Mayfield, Minshew, etc,.). I'd also consider resigning MW to come back and compete if he ends up being cheap. 

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Poll is pretty strait forward, I look forward to seeing the results.

It's not that straight forward, because my answer to #2 is:

Move on partially by acquiring two others to be the #1 and 2 in 2023, and unfortunately, due to his contract, you have no choice but to retain Zach Wilson, so you stash him at #3 and hope for a miracle (him becoming even backup-level capable would be a miracle).

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'd trade Zach if I could get a decent draft pick for him or another developmental QB I was interested in, but I wouldn't cut him. If I couldn't get at least a 3rd round pick for him, I'd leave him on the roster and let him compete in camp with (hopefully) a new offensive staff. IF I did trade Zach, I'd also draft a mid round QB this year to be develop for the future. 

Either way, I'd bring in the best vet QB I could get my hands on. I suspect that Carr is the best guy who would realistically come here, but I'm not even confident that he would seriously consider us and I would cast a wide net, regardless (Mayfield, Minshew, etc,.). I'd also consider resigning MW to come back and compete if he ends up being cheap. 

I tried to keep them as open ended as possible.

Trading Zach, for example, falls under "moving on from Zach" pretty cleanly.  So one way or the other, you'd move on from Zach is you prefer trading him.

But if you felt you knew you couldn't trade him, and would keep him, the third answer of question 2 is probably best.  

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's not that straight forward, because my answer to #2 is:

Move on partially by acquiring two others to be the #1 and 2 in 2023, and unfortunately, due to his contract, you have no choice but to retain Zach Wilson, so you stash him at #3 and hope for a miracle (him becoming even backup-level capable would be a miracle).

Then it seems maybe you don't really know what you have in him that clearly if you think he's potentially salvageable, and would retain him and see how he does in 2023 (answer #2 of question #2).  That was why I wrote it with "since a #2 overall pick", which sorta implies his cost (picks or salary) warrant retaining him.

If you knew, and I mean knew, that he'll suck forever without redemption, you would just eat the sunk cost and move on.  You (I know) are more than smart enough not to buy into the sunk cost fallacy here.

His contract is honestly (IMO) a non-factor given the modern NFL cap structure.  He can be cut or moved and we'll be just fine.  We moved Darnold in a similar wya and no one died, lol.

Voted yes and that we should keep him. I don’t think this kid will pan out but I also don’t think you give up. Ideally, unless we get an unquestioned starter kind of guy (carr, Rodgers, etc), I’d like to see the jets resign white to a 1 year 5-6 mill deal, get a vet on a 2-3 year deal, and shelve Wilson for most of the 23’ season. If an opportunity presents its self late in the 23’ season, throw him back out there. If it doesn’t that’s fine too. If the jets are serious about the reset, treat him like a project rookie qb. What we saw this season was terrible, but I don’t think he’s this bad. His confidence is shot and he needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Not sure how realistic this is, but I think shelving Zach for a year would give him the best chance to succeed.

I personally think they should dump him for whatever they can get. I get that he has little to no value in a trade at this point and the Jets would be paying him to play somewhere else. That’s why this regime won’t do it. 

It’s time to come to grips with the reality that it’s not going to work for Zach Wilson here if you the Jets brass. The right move is to trade Zach and use his roster spot on another QB in the draft. 

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Then it seems maybe you don't really know what you have in him that clearly if you think he's potentially salvageable, and would retain him and see how he does in 2023 (answer #2 of question #2).  That was why I wrote it with "since a #2 overall pick", which sorta implies his cost (picks or salary) warrant retaining him.

If you knew, and I mean knew, that he'll suck forever without redemption, you would just eat the sunk cost and move on.  You (I know) are more than smart enough not to buy into the sunk cost fallacy here.

His contract is honestly (IMO) a non-factor given the modern NFL cap structure.  He can be cut or moved and we'll be just fine.  We moved Darnold in a similar wya and no one died, lol.

I view Zach Wilson in 2023 more like a lottery ticket that I was forced to buy at gunpoint.

I've already paid for it. So I hold it, not expecting anything, because lotto odds are astronomically bad. But it's also not taking up too much room in my pocket, and if it hits... Nice! I know what it is fully. Doesn't mean I'm throwing it out, and I'm not quitting my job.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I view Zach Wilson in 2023 more like a lottery ticket that I was forced to buy at gunpoint.

I've already paid for it. So I hold it, not expecting anything, because lotto odds are astronomically bad. But it's also not taking up too much room in my pocket, and if it hits... Nice! I know what it is fully. Doesn't mean I'm throwing it out, and I'm not quitting my job.

That's...pretty durn well said, actually.

Zach was a boom or bust prospect that struggled as a rookie but flashed arm talent , agility and mobility you want to see in a QB that you want to believe in against Allen or Mahomes in a playoff game. 

the regression this year has to be shared by Zach (settle down I mentioned him first for a reason) Saleh, LaFluer and Calabrese. 

I’ve never heard a head coach trash his franchise QB the way Saleh did this year while alternately praising the “never going to be the guy”  backup. 

he would say Zach goes to dark places , then say white is a warrior. Is this some kind of therapy through the media? Seriously can you remember a head coach ever speaking about his starting QB like that ?

He also volunteered the “why me “ quote when he obviously could have kept it private. 

this can only be interpreted as intentionally sabotaging Zach.  There is no other explanation.  If this is an attempt to make him mentally tough or test him somehow I’d like to see a precedent or example of how that works, building a guy’s confidence by humiliating him. 

now the audacity to try to sell us that he’s the future and it can be fixed in 1 off season?

**** Saleh.  He’s not only over his head , he’s a liar and he intentionally hurt Zach in the media by volunteering immensely damaging information about him that any other coach would have dealt with privately. 

This is easily the worst I’ve ever felt as a jets fan. This is bleak. We could be looking at 2025 before they are worth watching again factoring in a total house cleaning or a rookie QB in ‘24

Since Zach never had the chance to work with Greg Knapp RIP, they will bring a real QB coach, one who has actually developed young QB’s in the NFL, to work with him. 2023 will be a true redshirt year for him, with no thoughts of him playing other than in preseason. They will bring in a vet to start from the list of usual suspects, and try to bring White back. This is based on Saleh staying put. If Woody goes nuclear, all bets are off.?

I didn't really know how to answer this. Zach Wilson was awful. We mostly know what we got. However, he has potential that I think can still be unlocked. I think his issues are pretty mental, in a way that can be fixed. 

I just don't know if he can be fixed by the current staff. I voted to keep him for the next season because I don't see anybody trading for him and I think he can still click. The probability is just pretty low.

21 minutes ago, Larz said:

…..this can only be interpreted as intentionally sabotaging Zach.  There is no other explanation……by humiliating him.…..he’s a liar and he intentionally hurt Zach in the media by

I see we’re firmly in the blame game/conspiracy theory stage of mourning over Zachypoo.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

i think you have to trade Zach this year for anything. 6th or 7th rd pick if we must.

if we get Carr or any QB they are the starter next year. so Zach is on the bench for all of 2023. if we try to trade him in 2024 with one year left on his contract we might have to give up a draft pick for someone to take him. i think the best thing Zachs got going for him with other teams is right now he has 2 years under control. 2 years to see if they can fix him. 

and god forbid our starter gets hurt its  not the time to have Zach play to see if he got better. every game will matter next year. we cant afford any tryouts mid season.

whatever his trade value is now it wont get any better next year when he sits for all of 2023.