Rank The Last Six Jets Coaches

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mangini was great with roster building but sucked as a coach and thought he was Belichick. The Mangenius stuff was nauseating. If we could have taken Mangini's roster building and Rex's coaching and built a coach ...

Mangini was very very good at some coaching aspects, he layed the law down and the team took very few stupid penalties, unlike the country club coaches like bowles and saleh.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Mangini was very very good at some coaching aspects, he layed the law down and the team took very few stupid penalties, unlike the country club coaches like bowles and saleh.

agree fully.  he was all about systemic management and building on character, but was weak on in-game Xs and Os. 

Why not just rank the coaches since Rex Ryan, who was the last coach to get us to the Playoffs.

1. Rex Ryan 46-50, 4-2 in Playoffs, 2 Conference Championship Games, Hired by Mike Tannenbaum

2. Todd Bowles 24-40 had one winning seasons, no playoff appearances. Hired after Charley Casserly helped conduct a search for Jets.

3. Robert Saleh 11-23, no winning seasons, no playoff appearances. Hired by Joe Douglas.

4. Adam Gase 9-23, no winning seasons, no playoff appearances. Hired by Mac and got Mac fired.

Jets haven't gotten better since they fired Rex Ryan. In fact if you totaled all the wins and losses of Bowles, Gase, and Saleh they are 44-86, while Rex Ryan all by his lonesome was 46-50 with back-to-back trips to the AFC Championship games. Some want to give Eric Mangini all the credit for Rex Ryan's success.

Bottom line: Jets suck the wind since they fired Rex Ryan. Jets are a clown show. Honk honk. 

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Rex was a fantastic coach in every respect but one.   His early success compelled Woody to allow Rex to take a leading role in the roster.  Both FA and the draft.  And, Tanny was a pushover.  

Rex was victimized by his own failure as de facto director of player personnel

Rex was a great motivator and communicator with the players

Rex was a fantastic X's and O's coach that could adjust from play to play.  You didnt have to wait and hope at half time for adjustments.  He was the only coach that could beat BB at Chess.

Rex was fun as hell.  NFL football is an entertainment product.  Rex was a 24-7 party.  It was always wild and fun when Rex was the coach.

If Rex is made HC behind a strong GM that understands Rex, he would be the best HC in the league and he most fun for the players and fans ALL THE TIME.

That’s was fun and I liked him as a coach but that’s a bit of a reach. 

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

That’s was fun and I liked him as a coach but that’s a bit of a reach. 

If he was that great, what happened in Buffalo with the number 3 defense BEFORE he got there. Like Herm, he got exposed as a fraud after he left the Jets and is out of football. When pettine left the defense started sucking. 

9 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

Mangini

Sales

Herm

Bowles

Rex

Gase

9 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Interesting that you have Mangini at the top.  Given more time, he may very well have had sustained success.  He was fired too soon.  And, he was by far the best HC in on draft day.  Him and Tanny had one grand slam after another in the draft.  Mangini was learning the game on the fly, by the key word is learning.  He would have gotten better with in-game performance had he been retained.

Mangini and Rex were two HC's with totally opposite strengths.

I'd LOVE to have Rex as HC, and Mangini as director of player personnel backed up by Tanny as the cap and contract man. SUPERBOWL in one season

It's difficult to rank these coaches but I'll just say that I also was a fan of Mangini.  And like The Baron is saying, I agree he would've gotten better over time.   I feel like he would've steered this franchise back to the light.

• Upvote 2

Mangini was very good at building a roster, but he wasn't a great coach. Personally I would have loved to have seen him in the front office with Mike Tannenbaum, while Rex coached the team.

Herm had solid rosters when he was here, but he was a mediocre at best coach. Saleh reminds me of him.

Gase was Mangini, minus the roster building ability.

As someone else mentioned, Bowles was an overhired coordinator. He isn't a head coach.

I miss Rex.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Idzik was a much better gm than mccagnan.  Vastly better.  And if we want to use a gms 1st draft to dump him Douglas better look over his shoulder.

What did he add that was so much better than Maccagnan?  Just curious?

1. mangini

2. herm

3. rex

4. saleh

5. gase

6. bowles

the funny thing is all of these guys had to deal with qb injuries.  i rate mangini the highest because he did make the playoffs once and was fired after going 9-7 with a sore armed favre.  hard to say if he would've drafted sanchez but i suspect he would've worked on getting good offensive skill players to go with brick and mangold.  i give herm some love because he took a team that was on the decline and did make the playoffs.  rex?  to much blowhard gas.  gase might be higher because he got rid of mac.  bowles is kind of a sad sack.  he had to deal with mac and his record shows.  but then he's also losing at tampa with the goat at qb.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's difficult to rank these coaches but I'll just say that I also was a fan of Mangini.  And like The Baron is saying, I agree he would've gotten better over time.   I feel like he would've steered this franchise back to the light.

Agree 100 %.  Build on character and a central vision. 

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Mangini was no different than the 56 other crappy failed coaches from the belichick tree. Only difference is some delusional jets fans mythologize him as the GM from 2006-2009

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Mangini was no different than the 56 other crappy failed coaches from the belichick tree. Only difference is some delusional jets fans mythologize him as the GM from 2006-2009

Two of his three years were winning seasons, he missed the playoffs with  9-7 record.  The guy actually had good team discipline.    He was not good enough but he was light years better than some of the others being talked about in this thread.

3 hours ago, Icer said:

Agree with this list, although I don't think Saleh's placement is set in stone yet

For sure Saleh is more up in the air than any of the others. Small sample size and lack of results vs. seeming promise. One thing a larger sample size affords is a more concrete opinion.

I “get” ranking Herm ahead of Saleh for instance, because he obviously had far greater success and is associated with a better period. That said, I view then as similar coaches although I generally think Saleh is smarter, more thoughtful, and more progressive and can’t imagine actually preferring Herm if given the choice between the two.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

No. The league is even more of an offensive-based one than when Rex coaching.

Will always love Rex but he ain’t winning us a Lombardi.

I think you might be selling Rex short.  They had no choice but to run the ball with Sanchez due to the regularity of interceptions.  Many of them going the other way for 6.   You can count on Rex for a slick defense for sure and if you gave him a very good QB, you can bet that there would be plenty of passing.

BUT.... If you gave Rex the current Jets defensive roster, it would be very different from the roster that I think Rex would prefer.  Rex loves big and versatile defensive lineman and linebackers.  I think he would be fine with the current CB's but playing press man while overload blitzing might not be the best game for Sauce and DJ.   He also likes to have a SS that is very smart.  One that can call the coverage and communicate with the LB's.  I can't imagine Rex would be happy with the LB's the Jets have.  He'd want a lot more leverage.  I do think Rex would love Q and probably, JFM, Lawson and Rankins.

If you want Rex, the GM would be hard pressed to come up with 3 new LB's and a SS in short order.  

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

I think you might be selling Rex short.  They had no choice but to run the ball with Sanchez due to the regularity of interceptions.  Many of them going the other way for 6.   You can count on Rex for a slick defense for sure and if you gave him a very good QB, you can bet that there would be plenty of passing.

BUT.... If you gave Rex the current Jets defensive roster, it would be very different from the roster that I think Rex would prefer.  Rex loves big and versatile defensive lineman and linebackers.  I think he would be fine with the current CB's but playing press man while overload blitzing might not be the best game for Sauce and DJ.   He also likes to have a SS that is very smart.  One that can call the coverage and communicate with the LB's.  I can't imagine Rex would be happy with the LB's the Jets have.  He'd want a lot more leverage.  I do think Rex would love Q and probably, JFM, Lawson and Rankins.

If you want Rex, the GM would be hard pressed to come up with 3 new LB's and a SS in short order.  

I love Rex, he’s the f*ckin man and a true Jet.

But he wasn’t it during his time and his time as a head coach has passed.