The Saleh two year postmortem-Why he ultimately failed

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I think I’d rather drink bleach than watch those 2.  Even Zach Wilson starting next year would be more compelling 

Hey- save me some of that bleach, would you?

There are pros and cons to many things in life, including eyesight.  There is no way in hell I’m watching Zach Wilson throw a football again as a starter of the Jets unless he miraculously does a 180, which I’m not banking on.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Hey- save me some of that bleach, would you?

There are pros and cons to many things in life, including eyesight.  There is no way in hell I’m watching Zach Wilson throw a football again as a starter of the Jets unless he miraculously does a 180, which I’m not banking on.

Zach Wilson is done in the nfl.  That said there are way better options than Baker

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

The 4th down play with the lions killed this team. 

I think it all started with the defense holding the Pats to 3 points and losing, which may have caused some resentment but then their collapse in Detroit sealed it. It all fell apart with that. These have been team losses every week, not one side blowing it. Sure the defense didn’t let up a ton of points in most games but the team was clutch in the first half of the season. They lost that. 

Overall, I think Saleh weathered some storms this year but totally agree with the OP. I’d still give him and JD next year but they need to make the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but if you’re firing LaFleur AND recruiting one of the veteran QBs AND trying to hire a new OC, you have to coordinate those steps rapidly, because you’re not getting the QB without an OC in place and you’re not getting one of the established OCs without having the QB in place. 

Indeed. They’re in a catch 22 situation when it comes to the OC and veteran QB option UNLESS they sign Garropolo. He’s the only QB that can slide in without skipping a beat because Lafleur’s scheme is pretty much the 49er offence sans a Full back. (But, that’s a argument for another day).

I think this is what JD ultimately sells Woody on. Woody, let’s stay the course. This is a long term plan, etc, etc, etc.

Those who think that Woody is going to bring in Harbaugh or Payton are fooling themselves. Not that he’s cheap. Woody has written many a fat check to “bust” free agents, so why not a coach? But bringing in Payton would mean a trade so that would mean JD is still involved in cobbling together a trade. But a guy like Payton would want GM like powers, wouldn’t he? So, JD would put together a trade and then be fired? Harbaugh would probably go to Carolina or Miami because of the Michigan connection. Also, I just don’t think he has the courage to do such a bold move. 
So you can postmortem all you want but i think JD still has Woody’s ear and he’ll present the argument that the positives outweigh the negatives. Saleh gets a third year. The only sore point is Zach. Woody needs to hold them all accountable. Maybe there’s some other reason why he’s regressed so quickly.Something psychological? Just putting it out there. I mean using “reset”, or even go “ read a book on a beach” isn’t something you hear a coach say in public at all unless there’s he’s tiptoeing around a sensitive subject. I don’t know…just wondering out loud.

• Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's going to have to LaFire his buddy and bring in an experienced OC & QB this offseason to turn it around. I don't see how he can go status quo there and expect things to work out. I will say I was screaming the same about the defense this year too and somehow that magically turned around. Hard to imagine the same thing with the way the offense has gone although the number of injuries to the o-line this year could be an excuse.

I agree. But not happening RS and MLF are safe 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know who’s tanned, rested, and ready and is desperate enough to take this OC job? Bonus: Carr would happily come with him.

67581CF8-69DC-4593-9FB7-2A7A02A25E8A.jpeg

how about

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47jk6wjls36rth3y1wnb

he was defense but he could do OC and **** punch mims, moore, mc, OL, and everyone else into showing up for game day

he would make cj wear that bunny outfit every practice for the rest of days as a Jet

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The only sore point is Zach. Woody needs to hold them all accountable. Maybe there’s some other reason why he’s regressed so quickly.Something psychological? Just putting it out there. I mean using “reset”, or even go “ read a book on a beach” isn’t something you hear a coach say in public at all unless there’s he’s tiptoeing around a sensitive subject. I don’t know…just wondering out loud.

I think it’s all coded language by the coaches saying that Wilson can’t handle New York. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

You know, I was kidding about this but the more I think about it, it cures a lot of ills on this team

Sadly don't think Johnson has that kind of devil may care attitude. Bring in him and Gregg Williams, and be a don't give a f__ pirate ship. It's not even a consideration. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

yeah Saleh needs to dig deep.  There is only 31 of these jobs in the world and just because you dont know all names of all the qualified candidates doesnt meant they aint out there.

yeah but if your in a make the playoffs or get fired year you going to go with the guy you know. and for all the faults of MLF we all watched the "all 22s" there guys getting open all the time and our QBs either dont see them or throw it over there heads.

im sure Saleh is thinking like i am right now, if we could get a QB who can complete around the league average of 64% instead of the guy we had who did it at 54% we could win more games.

47 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

In the Sam Bradford days, the #1 or #2 overall pick was almost seen as an albatross.

Nobody wanted it because of the insanely high guaranteed $ involved.

Teams would bite the bullet and make the pick because they had no other choice.

Not the case today.

Joe Douglas could have moved the pick for a war chest of draft picks, setting this team up for the next 5+ years.

Instead they locked in on a BYU 1-year COVID schedule wonder and hitched their professional careers to him, “come hell or Highwater”.

Douglas and Salad have no one to blame but themselves.

Let’s rewrite history.

ZW was a highly regarded QB prospect.  Not the reach you’re making him out to be. He had and has all the physical tools that made him a preferable prospect over guys like Fields and Jones.  All other than Lawrence have been failures up to today.  The whole BYU, COVID, hell or high water cry is nonsense.  He was picked where he should have been picked at the time.  QBs fail.  Baker, Darnold, Allen, Rudolph, Russell whoever, it happens.  People understand and move on.  Whiners look for someone to blame and fire. 

The 2022 Jets was a house of cards. They are the type of team who needs ALL of their cards to win. Once AVT and Hall went down, that was the beginning of the end. I am by no means absolving Saleh and LaFleur, but it's hard to put all of the blame on a coaching staff that has Zach Wilson, Mike White, Joe Flacco, and Chris Streveler as their play callers. A league average QB on the 2022 Jets would have us at least 9-8 and possibly 11-6. 

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He comes in and does his job this isn’t a one and done job.  
Even if it was the OC lives on to fight another day.

Reich is going to have options—including sitting home and cashing Irsay checks. I think we all underrated how bad this Jets OC job looks if they fire LaFleur. Reich gets $9 million per year through 2026. Good luck getting him to come here for relative pocket change to coach up Zach Wilson.

1B9D1ED8-5FEE-47F3-BF55-2AA1FFF7DFC5.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Reich is going to have options—including sitting home and cashing Irsay checks. I think we all underrated how bad this Jets OC job looks if they fire LaFleur. Reich gets $9 million per year through 2026. Good luck getting him to come here for relative pocket change to coach up Zach Wilson.

1B9D1ED8-5FEE-47F3-BF55-2AA1FFF7DFC5.png

I know he can sit home and just cash checks, big checks.  These guys tend to want to return to work.  Guess they want to become the forgotten man.  
A lot would have to depend on his thoughts on a ZW and whoever else they bring in to compete 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I know he can sit home and just cash checks, big checks.  These guys tend to want to return to work.  Guess they want to become the forgotten man.  
A lot would have to depend on his thoughts on a ZW and whoever else they bring in to compete 

Yeah, but Reich can sit back and wait for a job. The Chargers OC job might open up and he can go coach Justin Herbert. The Eagles OC job, Dallas, etc. i just think the Jets job is relatively awful. If we fire LaFleur, we’ll end up begging the Jaguars WR coach (or the like) to take it. 

I was pretty excited when the Jets hired Saleh. At the very least I thought he would bring some much needed intensity after the comatose duo of Todd Bowles and Adam Gase 
Two years in, this is Robert Saleh: 
-10-22 overall record (not counting Ron Middleton’s win).
-He completely whiffed on developing his hand picked QB and first ever draft 
-The previous regimes last rookie class has regressed mightily under his guidance 
-He has overseen a complete collapse to end his second year 
-He transformed the defense into a playoff caliber unit in one year 
Although Robert Saleh will likely return to the Jets in 2023 his tenure here looks to be trending towards failure. 
What mistakes did he make?
#1-I didn’t like how he subtly ripped past regimes publicly last year. On a few instances he alluded to the fact that the cupboard was bare when he arrived. Overall I felt he lacked a sense of urgency to win last year. You don’t come to NY and think you aren’t going to be measured on wins and losses. For most of his first season it felt like the Jets were playing pre-season games and he was content with it because young players were getting reps. Awful! 

#2-Hired an inexperienced staff. This has been well documented. Again, this to me stemmed from his lack of urgency to win immediately. A lot of buddy hires were made.
#3-Something wrong with the way he prepares the team. The Jets have been outscored 144-39 in games after extended prep time under this coach. It’s almost like the more he tries to prepare them the worse they play. 

#4-Picked the wrong QB. These head coaches are all egomaniacs. My guess that in Salehs mind the only reason he failed here was Zach Wilson. 

I usually do not saying anything if I disagree with someone’s opinion but…

This is a crock of sh!t

1. The cupboard was bare.

2. No one wanted to work for this organization. He had to hire from those willing to take a chance with him.

3. You may actually be right on this one.

4. QB is the toughest call there is. I cannot blame him for either choosing ZW or the circumstances which led the team to where it is.

Hoping folks are just blowing off steam. We are all disappointed. Not the first time our team has started well and totally collapsed.

For me it is all about next year. Do they draft well again? Does the OL durability improve? Does our star RB recover and continue on his path to stardom? Most important, do they make the playoffs?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Indeed. They’re in a catch 22 situation when it comes to the OC and veteran QB option UNLESS they sign Garropolo. He’s the only QB that can slide in without skipping a beat because Lafleur’s scheme is pretty much the 49er offence sans a Full back. (But, that’s a argument for another day).

I think this is what JD ultimately sells Woody on. Woody, let’s stay the course. This is a long term plan, etc, etc, etc.

Those who think that Woody is going to bring in Harbaugh or Payton are fooling themselves. Not that he’s cheap. Woody has written many a fat check to “bust” free agents, so why not a coach? But bringing in Payton would mean a trade so that would mean JD is still involved in cobbling together a trade. But a guy like Payton would want GM like powers, wouldn’t he? So, JD would put together a trade and then be fired? Harbaugh would probably go to Carolina or Miami because of the Michigan connection. Also, I just don’t think he has the courage to do such a bold move. 
So you can postmortem all you want but i think JD still has Woody’s ear and he’ll present the argument that the positives outweigh the negatives. Saleh gets a third year. The only sore point is Zach. Woody needs to hold them all accountable. Maybe there’s some other reason why he’s regressed so quickly.Something psychological? Just putting it out there. I mean using “reset”, or even go “ read a book on a beach” isn’t something you hear a coach say in public at all unless there’s he’s tiptoeing around a sensitive subject. I don’t know…just wondering out loud.

If the Jets give Jimmy G a big contract they deserve zero sympathy when he inevitably goes on IR. I don’t want to hear injury excuses if/when that happens. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You know who’s tanned, rested, and ready and is desperate enough to take this OC job? Bonus: Carr would happily come with him.

I actually like Gruden and think he got a raw deal. Don’t think he would come here to be an OC. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s all coded language by the coaches saying that Wilson can’t handle New York. 

Tom,  I think its coded lang for he can not handle the NFL, period!  At least in this HC eyes and maybe even the OC ...

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

T0m, I’m 10 years younger right now than Leon Hess was when he died. Going by this timeline it would be 1989 and joe Walton’s last year with legendary defensive coordinator Ralph Hawkins replacing bud Carson.

Now going by this timeline, next year we hire dick steinberg and coslet and it’s 1990. I don’t want to go through that. I’ll just bring in chucky as hc and take the heat. **** the Pepsi gate, it will be called the J&J gate next year. I gotta win before I die 

1FB65E05-1A7C-4AE3-BADB-68D28E205765.png