The Saleh two year postmortem-Why he ultimately failed

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If he gets bounced, it’ll be because of Gase-like hubris. Gase was more flagrant and condescending, but Saleh is right there with him in terms of thinking he‘s better than he is by virtue of having been adjacent to better coaches. He’s getting rolled by the political aspects of the job, he’s been terrible in the forward-facing aspects of the job, and he hasn’t shown the ability to carry the stick when discipline was called for. He needs to do a Pete Carroll-like reset wherein he learns to balance being popular with also being a leader, because the franchise looks like it’s adrift right now. 

Very well stated. These thoughts have been bouncing around for me, but I’ve been unable to articulate them.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bugg said:

Lack of urgency across the board, in every way. White should have been the QB from day 1; he was the best QB they had on the roster. PERIOD. Winnable games were lost. Players did not make plays in those games. Can cut slack for last year, but there was a playoff berth to be had, and the last 5 weeks shows a program that even with OL and Hall injuries that did not get after it. How many games were they down 2 scores in the 4th, and still huddling up and la de da? Team was not winning the Super Bowl, but this team needed to be way better that this. This was not progress. 

When Moseley and JFM lost games with ridiculously dumb penalties, no consequences. Berrios between the Minny drop and being the most pussified PR in the NFL, still getting run out there.That filters down.  All gas, no brakes, yeah, no. 

The whole Wilson thing; he's never gonna be an NFL QB. Instead they f__ed around indulging a nonhacker. Is this program about a journey of self-discovery for a Utah lad coming to the big city, or winning football games? It's throwing good money after bad. 

Comparable situation with the Rangers 2 years ago; Davidson and Gorton were still in rebuild mode with David Quinn, and at the same time, Chris Drury was getting offers. Dolan was paying top dollar for some big FA signings, and rightly thought was time for some results. Drury's 1st year, club get to the final 4. 

URGENCY. Point being; especially with Wilson, you cannot keep selling tomorrow. And selling Wilson as tomorrow is gonna get Saleh fired. Massive draft cockup does not justify playing him.  Not another down. 

Fantastic comparison with the Rangers under Quinn. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I will say I was screaming the same about the defense this year too and somehow that magically turned around. Hard to imagine the same thing with the way the offense has gone although the number of injuries to the o-line this year could be an excuse.

Kinda helps, when you have 2 corners that played measurably better than the previous year. I will say that while the D did play better this year, they still have some of the same problems. They can't stop the run game with a wide 9, and they let teams gain tons of yardage and don't really stop teams on 3rd downs when it counts, or take costly penalties.

1 hour ago, Jet hustle said:

Why is he better than gase?  Gase went 7-9 with WAY worse talent 

Yeah, no.  I’m not Saleh’s biggest fan right now but this is, objectively, untrue and doesn’t even mention the fact that the 2019 had a painfully easy schedule, especially in comparison to this years team.

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah, no.  I’m not Saleh’s biggest fan right now but this is, objectively, untrue and doesn’t even mention the fact that the 2019 had a painfully easy schedule, especially in comparison to this years team.

The Jets went 5-0 against backup QBs. This wasn’t a difficult schedule. Saleh is a bad coach. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

I’ve been watching Jets football since the 1980s. Robert Saleh has been historically bad these last five games. 

Except he hasn’t.  I don’t even like the guy, but being “historically bad” isn’t decided by some guy who has been watching football for a long time; it’s decided by record breaking data.  Gase would take the cake on that.

34 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Except he hasn’t.  I don’t even like the guy, but being “historically bad” isn’t decided by some guy who has been watching football for a long time; it’s decided by record breaking data.  Gase would take the cake on that.

A six game losing streak to end the season after being 7-4 is historically bad. 

I also fail to see the point of Salehs first season. He literally hasn’t developed anyone. Maybe Michael Carter (CB) and Bryce Huff. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, OverweightJetsFan said:

A six game losing streak to end the season after being 7-4 is historically bad. 

I also fail to see the point of Salehs first season. He literally hasn’t developed anyone. Maybe Michael Carter (CB) and Bryce Huff. 

Except it isn’t no matter how many accounts you create to spew the same nonsense.

34 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Except it isn’t no matter how many accounts you create to spew the same nonsense.

It depends what you mean by “historically bad,” but from a Jets perspective, this one is up there with any other collapse you want to give me. We were in a playoff race at 7-4 and lost 5 straight (likely to be 6 straight tomorrow) to miss the playoffs.

To my knowledge, the only other times that we lost at least 5 straight games to finish the season after being in a playoff chase were in 1986 (10-1 to 10-6, but we actually made the playoffs that year and even won a round) and 1994 (6-5 to 6-10, missed the playoffs). 

I happen to consider 2008 worse than this year because we were legit SB favorites at 8-3 before losing 4 of 5 to finish 9-7, but make no mistake, this one was really, really bad. I would definitely call it a historically bad jets collapse. 

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It depends what you mean by “historically bad,” but from a Jets perspective, this one is up there with any other collapse you want to give me. We were in a playoff race at 7-4 and lost 5 straight (likely to be 6 straight tomorrow) to miss the playoffs.

To my knowledge, the only other times that we lost at least 5 straight games to finish the season after being in a playoff chase were in 1986 (10-1 to 10-6, but we actually made the playoffs that year and even won a round) and 1994 (6-5 to 6-10, missed the playoffs). 

I happen to consider 2008 worse than this year because we were legit SB favorites at 8-3 before losing 4 of 5 to finish 9-7, but make no mistake, this one was really, really bad. I would definitely call it a historically bad jets collapse. 

I’m defining it the way most would, which is general NFL history.  Gase was actually historically bad in that regard.  This really shouldn’t be a debate.  The 2019 and 2020 Jets probably lose to the 2022 Jets by 30+.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I’m defining it the way most would, which is general NFL history.  Gase was actually historically bad in that regard.  This really shouldn’t be a debate.  The 2019 and 2020 Jets probably lose to the 2022 Jets by 30+.

I’m not arguing that Gase was a batter coach than Saleh, only that Saleh has overseen one of the worst late-season collapses in NYJ history. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I’m not arguing that Gase was a batter coach than Saleh, only that Saleh has overseen one of the worst late-season collapses in NYJ history. 

Won’t get a disagreement from me there.  I called it that weeks ago, before the Jags game.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mogglez said:

Won’t get a disagreement from me there.  I called it that weeks ago, before the Jags game.

I thought we were dead after the crushing lions loss. That 4th and inches touchdown will live in infamy. The team has not played a competitive game since. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but if you’re firing LaFleur AND recruiting one of the veteran QBs AND trying to hire a new OC, you have to coordinate those steps rapidly, because you’re not getting the QB without an OC in place and you’re not getting one of the established OCs without having the QB in place. 

I’d counter this by saying if the Jets really want to dump LaFleur, and JD doesn’t already have an idea of who he wants for both spots (I think they both need to be compatible) then he’s even more of a problem than Saleh.

I can’t see Saleh getting to choose either one unless he already has given Douglas his choice.

21 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This may be a wild, but I feel like Mike White and Derek Carr are very similar players - i.e. consummate professionals without much flash to their game. They can make most of the throws, get the ball out on time and read a defense.

With the benefit of hindsight, it looks like Mike White could've led us to ten wins if he was the starter week one.

Uh, not for nothing a healthy mfw is 1-2.  Look at the game last night. Both Jax and Tenn came ready to play. Tenn did well with a pretty bad qb. If the jets team showed that much fire over the past 5 games they might’ve won 2 or 3.  This in spite of zwilson.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I will say this- I can't recall Gase having anyone demanding trades while he was here.  We had two in the same year here this year under Saleh.  That's a sign of major dysfunction.

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

And here we have an argument between two Jets fans on which of our last two coaches is more historically terrible.

J! E! T! S!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

I will say this- I can't recall Gase having anyone demanding trades while he was here.  We had two in the same year here this year under Saleh.  That's a sign of major dysfunction.

Bell and McLendon did (in a respectful manner) and, most famously, Jamal Adams (non respectful).