Harvard Review: QBs most important factor in wins/losses

image.thumb.png.99bd97405279854377c12a55fe54d662.png

Nothing too shocking.  We can all poke holes into the fairly simplistic findings. The most obvious hole is that the Owner hires the GM who hires the Coach.  Both the GM and Coaching Staff have input on QB selection and put together the plan for success.

How much credit does the GM who selected Tom Brady actually receive in the Harvard analysis?  Or BB for developing him?

One thing that should be clear is that it’s not fair to put all the blame on the QB- whether you agree with Harvard’s analysis or not.

The best leadership teams are typically the 1 + 1 = 3 examples.

I worry that the Jets have a 1 + 1 = 1 version that is tied to the strongest voice on the team.

JD’s first draft was so BAD that you have to wonder how much influence Gase had on it.

Smart people on this board have hypothesized that Saleh’s over confidence or insecurity might explain his hiring choices. A team of friends / potential yes men that are TOO much in sync with each other that they don’t challenge each other’s opinions. We now learn after the failed QB experiment that MLF is not quite sure Wilson should have started day 1.  A good OC in the 1 + 1 = 3 model voices that concern from day 1 or after season 1.  A good HC listens to him.  A good GM gets an adequate backup.  

What does this mean?  I have no idea ;).  LOL

But if I’m the Owner and this is my team & money, I better not hear that the plan is working and just needs another year.

If I’m JD, I better hear that the coaching staff needs changes because this formula didn’t work and it’s not all Zach’s fault.  

If I’m Saleh, I’m honest and flexible when discussing the Post Mortem.

———————————————-

What do you guys think?

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

The last time I looked into it was like 4 years ago but I think the best predictor of getting to the superbowl was passer rating differential, which spreads the impact to the pass rush, pass protection etc 

I read that Sauce and DJ held Seattle’s Metcalf and Lockett to their lowest combined performance ever.  I think between them they had 3 fairly non impactful catches.

Even with such stud Corners and a strong DLine, Geno had an excellent QB rating.

Why?  Because Seattle attacked our weakness elsewhere AND because the Jets didn’t anticipate it or alter their script enough to prevent it.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I read that Sauce and DJ held Seattle’s Metcalf and Lockett to their lowest combined performance ever.  I think between them they had 3 fairly non impactful catches.

Even with such stud Corners and a strong DLine, Geno had an excellent QB rating.

Why?  Because Seattle attacked our weakness elsewhere AND because the Jets didn’t anticipate it or alter their script enough to prevent it.

Plus, you don’t win a lot of games when you score 6 points.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The problem with this study is it doesn't give the HC or the GM credit for finding/developing the QB. Its not a coincidence that certain coaches seem to always have good QB's. HC/QB/GM are highly correlated, so this study is kind of sh*t

Agree-  but thought it was worth looking at the roles side by side because that’s exactly what it makes you think of.

For me, it puts greater focus on the interconnectedness of these roles.  Our whole image of one is impacted by the other yet the analysis tries to treat each role as independent of each other.  

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Agree-  but thought it was worth looking at the roles side by side because that’s exactly what it makes you think of.

For me, it puts greater focus on the interconnectedness of these roles.  Our whole image of one is impacted by the other yet the analysis tries to treat each role as independent of each other.  

I agree, the interconnection is key. So many jets fans immediately turn on the QB's, and they are the symptom, not the problem. The problem is we hire people who have no idea what they are doing. Then the fans turn on the QB, who didnt ask to come here, instead of the idiots who are supposed to know what they are doing. 

Its no coincidence Andy Reid had Alex Smith, then drafted Mahomes and had Smith mentor and work wit Mahomes, and now Mahomes is probably best QB in the league.

Its no coinicidnece that Lawrence had a huge jump in development with Pederson.

Good coaches have good QB's, its that simple. 

Anyone can miss an be wrong, and some coaches can get incredibly lucky and luck into a QB, but the majority of the time the good coaches end up with the good QB's, because they know what they are looking at, and know how to work to their strengths and adopt their system.

The system Andy Reid runs with Mahomes is very different than what he ran with other QB's who didnt have his skill set

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I agree, the interconnection is key. So many jets fans immediately turn on the QB's, and they are the symptom, not the problem. The problem is we hire people who have no idea what they are doing. Then the fans turn on the QB, who didnt ask to come here, instead of the idiots who are supposed to know what they are doing. 

Its no coincidence Andy Reid had Alex Smith, then drafted Mahomes and had Smith mentor and work wit Mahomes, and now Mahomes is probably best QB in the league.

Anyone can miss an be wrong, and some coaches can get incredibly lucky and luck into a QB, but the majority of the time the good coaches end up with the good QB's, because they know what they are looking at, and know how to work to their strengths and adopt their system.

The system Andy Reid runs with Mahomes is very different than what he ran with other QB's who didnt have his skill set

Bam!!

6 minutes ago, JTJet said:

TLDR version for everyone else...

When a sh*tty owner hires a sh*tty GM who hires a sh*tty coach, and they all 3 bungle the QB position with a sh*tty player, your team will suck.

I’m not sure I entirely agree but that certainly is part of the problem.  I actually think JD is a good GM.  The rest ….

6 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Really well said!

Id love to be a fly on the wall in these internal discussions.

It’s easy to blame JD entirely for QB selection or for not getting a viable (durable) backup but we have little idea what Saleh’s input was.  

It’s easy to blame Saleh playing him day 1 but we don’t know if he was mandated to.

From my business experience, it’s typically a breakdown between these leaders. 

39 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Hey now… Gase was ahead of his time. Coaching where football is going. We just needed to wait 10 years. Chris Johnson is a friggin genius.  

Woody leaves a team to his unaccomplished brother and we bottom out.  

Jets management has sucked for a lifetime. 

• Upvote 2

we need someone to cover the damn rbs out of the backfield and most importantly the tight ends which have been killing us for over a decade now

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app