Baker Mayfield, Why Not?

Maxman

On 1/8/2023 at 12:06 AM, Maxman said:

The kid can play. Played hurt in Cleveland and they dumped him which meant his story there did not have a happy ending.

Carolina was a toxic environment and they dumped him.

Played well with the Rams.

If you don't land a top tier guy like Aaron Rodgers or David Carr, then Mayfield makes a ton of sense.

Am I right, or am I right?

He was barely successful with an amazing running game and O line and couldn't find OBJ. I think it would be a disaster. 

On 1/8/2023 at 1:06 AM, Maxman said:

The kid can play. Played hurt in Cleveland and they dumped him which meant his story there did not have a happy ending.

If you don't land a top tier guy like Aaron Rodgers or David Carr, then Mayfield makes a ton of sense.

He might just be who we end with if we don't land carr

• Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, Wit said:

In a hot second. Hes diminished and needs an amazing O line to succeed though. 

But apparently some fans will be upset.....lol.  Dude at 45 just put up the kind of numbers that Carr fans point to as what he can do in a best case scenario.  

I'm in on Brady, if he'd actually come here.  You get your quality QB.  You give Zach one last chance to develop.  Then you have options in 2024 - either bring Brady back, go with Zach, or draft his replacement in a much more appealing QB draft.  Seems like a win for everyone, outside of those who just really, really, really hate Brady.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2023 at 3:20 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I can't believe we are talking about carr as a top guy. 

I rather Mike white and some rook to ride the pine. Aaron. Rogers is the unicorn and obviously would be great for us to have. But even in that case I still like some rook to ride the pine and learn. Maybe that can be Zach. Idk 

That pine-riding rookie would be forced not action quickly with McQuite’s injury history.

I agree with you.  Mayfield has a good head on his shoulders, and can scramble and run for a few yards if he needs to.  My main reason with agreeing with you though, is that you don't need to be "all-world" with our defense, you just need to be a decent game manager, and I believe that Mayfield can fit the bill for that job.

Getting back Breece Hall, establish the running game with AVT and a new high draft pick for right tackle, and away we go.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:22 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Baker was almost out of the NFL until the Rams picked him up.  Based on the 4 games he's played there, this is your choice for our next QB1?  He had 2 good games and 2 bad ones.  And one of the 2 good games was against a Denver team that had completely checked out.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm

image.png.4a689b4da5618cefffc268b365d128d1.png

Thrown into the fire with no practice for game one, no camp, no familiarity with others on offense?  Yes, I’d take him

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree with you.  Mayfield has a good head on his shoulders, and can scramble and run for a few yards if he needs to.  My main reason with agreeing with you though, is that you don't need to be "all-world" with our defense, you just need to be a decent game manager, and I believe that Mayfield can fit the bill for that job.

Getting back Breece Hall, establish the running game with AVT and a new high draft pick for right tackle, and away we go.

This is what every Browns fan said until a serial sex offender was available.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

But apparently some fans will be upset.....lol.  Dude at 45 just put up the kind of numbers that Carr fans point to as what he can do in a best case scenario.  

I'm in on Brady, if he'd actually come here.  You get your quality QB.  You give Zach one last chance to develop.  Then you have options in 2024 - either bring Brady back, go with Zach, or draft his replacement in a much more appealing QB draft.  Seems like a win for everyone, outside of those who just really, really, really hate Brady.  

So, like almost everyone?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Beat me to it.

I remember the outrage over Jason Taylor being signed as a part time player, now we want to jump in bed with Tom Brady.  Odd

Jason Taylor was a washed douchenozzle who openly antagonized Jets fans from the field.  He was hated not because he was great, but because he was an actual POS who clearly got erect from trying to anger us.  Meanwhile we hate Brady because......he was really good?  Like I said in another thread, I hated Chipper Jones, but I would have taken him on the Mets in a heartbeat.  Same with Jeter.  Same with Lundqvist on the Isles.  Same with Brady on the Jets.  It's certainly more appealing than Baker ******* Mayfield...

9 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Jason Taylor was a washed douchenozzle who openly antagonized Jets fans from the field.  He was hated not because he was great, but because he was an actual POS who clearly got erect from trying to anger us.  Meanwhile we hate Brady because......he was really good?  Like I said in another thread, I hated Chipper Jones, but I would have taken him on the Mets in a heartbeat.  Same with Jeter.  Same with Lundqvist on the Isles.  Same with Brady on the Jets.  It's certainly more appealing than Baker ******* Mayfield...

The idea that Jeter would have ever considered playing for the Mets is.....well....it's just.....bonkertons.

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2023 at 2:46 PM, bonkertons said:

And that doesn’t describe Brady 1000 times over.  
Anyone who doesn’t think JT was great didn’t watch him play.  The only difference is some think he would win and will overlook how much Brady shlt on the Jets

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

The idea that Jeter would have ever considered playing for the Mets is.....well....it's just.....bonkertons.

Because the Steinbrenners were paying Jeter big money until the day he retired.

brady is going to the highest bidder.  He’s still a 20,000x better option than Zach Wilson and some scrub mentor like Dalton or Tannehill which is JD’s real plan 

I've been saying Baker for a while now. He makes the most scene. Good points from the author but lets add a few more. The kid can run, pass, is accurate as hell. Also he will come a lot cheaper then Lamar and a few others. (We need to sign Williams a a O-line) Our running backs, Tight ends and receivers, will be dangers! Who has the ball. Yep a cheaper version of Lamor This is a good pick up. Tell me why its not. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/17/2023 at 2:39 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

He's been on three teams in one year. 

Come on… He was never “on” the Browns this season. He was gone when they signed Watson, you know that.

Then they jerked him around the entire offseason until the music stopped and all the QB jobs were gone.
He had no choice except other redo his contract to get a chance with the Panthers, who were a mess under Rhule.

When Rhule got fired Carolina was ready to go into tank mode… they released Baker (and got rid of McCaffrey) and he ended up with the Rams a few hours later.
Wilkes ended up pulling a Gase though, coaching the hell out of Carolina, and screwed up the tank.

• Upvote 1