Is This Team Actually Close Or Are We Just Deluding Ourselves?

QB: We have a gigantic hole at QB1

RB: Breece is great but he's coming off a major injury.  The rest are jags

WR: GW is a star but he's pretty much all we've got.  Eli Moore is a wildcard but he really has been kind of disappointing.  Corey Davis probably will be gone. 

TE: Our TEs are mediocre at best.  Ruckert is a wildcard but who knows.

OL: Our OL is a mess and AVT is coming off a major injury. 

In short, on the offensive side of the ball (which is the more important side in today's NFL), we are a disaster.  We can address OL with our 1st rounder and we have a high 2nd rounder that can probably get us a quality player.  But after that, it's probably a crapshoot.  Odds are that JD doesn't have nearly as good of a draft as he did last year.

In terms of FA, if we pay Derek Carr, I don't know how much money we're going to have left over to improve other parts of this team.

Our defense is very good but it has holes and our ST stink.  But these needs have to be subjugated because the offense needs the overwhelming amount of attention this offseason.

• Upvote 3

People aren't really paying attention to the holes we have to fill this offseason with limited funds...if you start cutting people to make cap space, well you have to fill those positions too....we don't have great ammo in the draft like we did the last 2 years...JD is gonna have to pull a magic trick to put us on track and I'm not sure if he's up to the task....he hasn't had the greatest time in FA 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

WR: GW is a star but he's pretty much all we've got.  Eli Moore is a wildcard but he really has been kind of disappointing.  Corey Davis probably will be gone. 

In short, on the offensive side of the ball (which is the more important side in today's NFL), we are a disaster.  We can address OL with our 1st rounder and we have a high 2nd rounder that can probably get us a quality player.  But after that, it's probably a crapshoot.  Odds are that JD doesn't have nearly as good of a draft as he did last year.

In terms of FA, if we pay Derek Carr, I don't know how much money we're going to have left over to improve other parts of this team.

Our defense is very good but it has holes and our ST stink.  But these needs have to be subjugated because the offense needs the overwhelming amount of attention this offseason.

Say what you want about Becton, Breece, and AVT but they aren’t dead. If they comeback healthy that could fix the running game. 

The Jets haven’t had a player like Garrett Wilson in some time so that’s exciting. They definitely need to add another weapon to the passing game. 

QB is a question mark, but it can’t get any worse. I think a new OC and QB can get more out of Elijah Moore. 

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't  think it's as bad if people come back healthy. We probably need a LB or two. I honestly don't want to see another high investment on the OL. I'm actually hoping  Becton won't  be injured again. The photos I saw of him about a month ago, he looked great. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think it's as bad if people come back healthy. We probably need a LB or two. I honestly don't want to see another high investment on the OL. I'm actually hoping  Becton won't  be injured again. The photos I saw of him about a month ago, he looked great. 

We can't go into next season counting on Becton for anything.  He'll have gone 2 straight seasons without playing.  We have to be ready to completely write him off. 

I agree we need LB but I don't think we can afford to invest much on that side of the ball.  We need to throw everything we've got at our offense.  I think it's realistic that the OL can be rebuilt with 2 picks in the 1st 2-to-3 rounds.  Not sure if we can still get an impact skill position player with that other pick.  If we pick 8th in the 2nd round (since I think the order snakes each round for teams with the same record), possibly there will still be a WR there.  That would be pick #40.  This is what was available last year.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/draft.htm

image.thumb.png.a9a4b5f2064c4e65e367ff2e0fe38f3d.png

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

not even close to close

Team needs WORK

Realistically, we can probably fix the OL (by using 2 high picks) and overpay for an overrated FA QB.  Not sure how much room that would allow to fix other problems in FA though.  And the odds that JD has another great draft are probably low.  

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We can't go into next season counting on Becton for anything.  He'll have gone 2 straight seasons without playing.  We have to be ready to completely write him off. 

I agree we need LB but I don't think we can afford to invest much on that side of the ball.  We need to throw everything we've got at our offense.  I think it's realistic that the OL can be rebuilt with 2 picks in the 1st 2-to-3 rounds.  Not sure if we can still get an impact skill position player with that other pick.  If we pick 8th in the 2nd round (since I think the order snakes each round for teams with the same record), possibly there will still be a WR there.  That would be pick #40.  This is what was available last year.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/draft.htm

image.thumb.png.a9a4b5f2064c4e65e367ff2e0fe38f3d.png

If we take an OL in the first, JD should be fired.  

close to what? competing to get into a wildcard spot? yes they are close to that. if you think they are close to a superbowl contender then you might be overrating them a bit......its possible but we need a qb and an oline.....which is kind of a lot. also need as tight end 

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

close to what? competing to get into a wildcard spot? yes they are close to that. if you think they are close to a superbowl contender then you might be overrating them a bit......its possible but we need a qb and an oline.....which is kind of a lot. also need as tight end 

And a #2 WR.  Basically our offense is greatly lacking.

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Really?  What position are you thinking then?  Maybe a great WR or the top TE?

Definitely LB or trade down to the bottom of the first round and take an OL there. I would also consider QB if Levis slid. Just because Zach sucks doesn't  mean we have to stop trying to draft a QB. I also know many on this board don't  like Levis.  To me that is great because a Hell of a lot of posters here were in love with Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Definitely LB or trade down to the bottom of the first round and take an OL there. I would also consider QB if Levis slid. Just because Zach sucks doesn't  mean we have to stop trying to draft a QB. I also know many on this board don't  like Levis.  To me that is great because a Hell of a lot of posters here were in love with Wilson. 

LB?  We can't invest a #1 into our defense

QB?  After what we've seen with Sam and ZW, it would be insane to start a rookie QB.  Next year is not a "punt year" though.  We can't use a #1 pick on a guy we're not going to use immediately.

Trade down?  Maybe.

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

God no for Levis. He couldn’t beat out a scrub like Clifford at PSU. Just because you’re big and strong doesn’t mean you’re a good QB.

1 minute ago, Arsis said:

Look at the record and state of the team. Next year we can improve drastically and still not be a 500 team.

Oh okay.  I thought you meant my post was delusional.  Reading it again, I think you're saying we're deluding ourselves (in response to the question in the subject line).  I fully agree that we can improve a lot and still be under .500.  For one thing, it's easy to assume our injured guys (e.g. AVT and Breece) will come back at 100% but that's hardly a guarantee.  

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

LB?  We can't invest a #1 into our defense

QB?  After what we've seen with Sam and ZW, it would be insane to start a rookie QB.  Next year is not a "punt year" though.  We can't use a #1 pick on a guy we're not going to use immediately.

Trade down?  Maybe.

We would not be starting a rookie unless Saleh and JD are insane. I would be hoping we get a Vet FA. Hell, if we can get Winston or even Tanny, I would be fine. At least we know these guys can play the position. Let them rookie sit. I mean are we supposed to wait until the window closes and we suck again? 

And as good as the D is, we sucked against the run. Our LB are awful. Mosley will make 5 great plays and then gets beaten for a rediculous  TD. Quincy  is to up and down and makes too many tackles 5 yard down field. Who was the last LB who picked off a pass? 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

We would not be starting a rookie unless Saleh and JD are insane. I would be hoping we get a Vet FA. Hell, if we can get Winston or even Tanny, I would be fine. At least we know these guys can play the position. Let them rookie sit. I mean are we supposed to wait until the window closes and we suck again? 

And as good as the D is, we sucked against the run. Our LB are awful. Mosley will make 5 great plays and then gets beaten for a rediculous  TD. Quincy  is to up and down and makes too many tackles 5 yard down field. Who was the last LB who picked off a pass? 

I agree that our LB corps needs to be upgraded but, again, we need to pour almost everything we've got into the offense.