Is This Team Actually Close Or Are We Just Deluding Ourselves?

Team has talent, get healthy…… make some good moves get rid of bloated contracts (Lawson, C Davis) draft an OL early Avt back maybe becton stays healthy at RT.  Get a damn QB…..a Vet I think this is going to happen anyway just hope it’s not bums like dalton, Minshew…….go get Carr or Jimmy G…..Rodgers is a pipe dream

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Unless we're bringing in a guy like TB12 or Rodgers, though, is a guy like Derek Carr going to "fix everything"?  I just don't see it.

TB12 is done.  He would never come here anyway.  
          AR12 would be nice to have for a couple years but would cripple the growth of the team in the long run.  I'm not sure if he would have the ability to give it his all if he came here. He'd probably just come here for a retirement pension.  
      The answer to the riddle is finding the unicorn like the 2 qbs mentioned above that can operate an offense. And are capable of calling audibles.  Knowing what the defense is doing and being able to beat them with their brain. 
        Do our QBs ever change the snap count?   Do they do anything to make the defense think?   Do they ever try to draw the defense offsides?  
       I think the best bet is bring in a guy like Jimmy G as starter.  Zach will sit another year.  Draft another QB (Stetson or Hooker ).  Keep building the roster and depth.  
      Cut guys like Corey Davis, Mosley, Berrios. 

Biggest weakness other than QB

OL

LB

Safety

TE

P

WR

And then next year draft another QB  

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh okay.  I thought you meant my post was delusional.  Reading it again, I think you're saying we're deluding ourselves (in response to the question in the subject line).  I fully agree that we can improve a lot and still be under .500.  For one thing, it's easy to assume our injured guys (e.g. AVT and Breece) will come back at 100% but that's hardly a guarantee.  

Oh yeah my bad. I was responding to your question. I think we fans are deluded. This team is pretty bad.

• Upvote 1

Both. We have some really good young players, and for once they’re at positions that actually matter, but we’re not special. Being “just a QB away” means we’re in the same leaky boat as like 10 other teams, and having cheap young studs at CB1 and WR1 doesn’t mean we’re any likelier to find a long-term answer at the position.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

QB: We have a gigantic hole at QB1

RB: Breece is great but he's coming off a major injury.  The rest are jags

WR: GW is a star but he's pretty much all we've got.  Eli Moore is a wildcard but he really has been kind of disappointing.  Corey Davis probably will be gone. 

TE: Our TEs are mediocre at best.  Ruckert is a wildcard but who knows.

OL: Our OL is a mess and AVT is coming off a major injury. 

In short, on the offensive side of the ball (which is the more important side in today's NFL), we are a disaster.  We can address OL with our 1st rounder and we have a high 2nd rounder that can probably get us a quality player.  But after that, it's probably a crapshoot.  Odds are that JD doesn't have nearly as good of a draft as he did last year.

In terms of FA, if we pay Derek Carr, I don't know how much money we're going to have left over to improve other parts of this team.

Our defense is very good but it has holes and our ST stink.  But these needs have to be subjugated because the offense needs the overwhelming amount of attention this offseason.

everything you said evolves around the QB. better QB play makes all that look better.

today i saw 6-7 guys in the box on every play. thats because they had no respect for our QB. 

RB. better QB makes the running game better cause they cant load the box on every down.

WR. better QB will spread the ball around better

OL. better QB makes defenses not load the box cause they have to protect against the pass. plus the OL got hit with a ridiculous number of injuries. Brown, Becton, AVT, Herbrig, Fant, Mitchell.... did i miss anyone.? i know everyone has them but to have them hit one position so hard and an important position like OL was a killer. 

like you said , gigantic hole at QB, if we dont fill that hole it doesnt matter about the other holes.

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

everything you said evolves around the QB. better QB play makes all that look better.

today i saw 6-7 guys in the box on every play. thats because they had no respect for our QB. 

RB. better QB makes the running game better cause they cant load the box on every down.

WR. better QB will spread the ball around better

OL. better QB makes defenses not load the box cause they have to protect against the pass. plus the OL got hit with a ridiculous number of injuries. Brown, Becton, AVT, Herbrig, Fant, Mitchell.... did i miss anyone.? i know everyone has them but to have them hit one position so hard and an important position like OL was a killer. 

like you said , gigantic hole at QB, if we dont fill that hole it doesnt matter about the other holes.

QBs that can "solve all the problems" are almost never found in FA though (Drew Brees is a rare exception).  I think we're better off using the premium picks of our draft on the OL.  To me, a good OL improves every part of your offense.  

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree that our LB corps needs to be upgraded but, again, we need to pour almost everything we've got into the offense.  

I actually would be OK if there is an outstanding monster TE in the draft but that is about it. I think we are OK at WR, and RB and we just need an insurance  policy for Becton. Everyone should be praying he plays next year. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I actually would be OK if there is an outstanding monster TE in the draft but that is about it. I think we are OK at WR, and RB and we just need an insurance  policy for Becton. Everyone should be praying he plays next year. 

I think Michael Mayer of ND is supposed to be the top TE.

https://und.com/roster/michael-mayer/

image.png.2a180b94dede06f9cabb2a2606b2c748.png

1 hour ago, SpankyJohnson said:

QB fixes everything 

You can’t be serious. We are a delusional if we think this is true. The offensive line and coaching staff needs an overhaul. The QB is actually secondary. Look at what an even below average QB can do with an offensive line and good play calling, around the league. 

38 minutes ago, SpankyJohnson said:

Josh Allen says hi

It’s funny, every time I ask why Will Levis is a first round talent Josh Allen is brought up in some form or fashion. He’s going to get a lot of GMs fired. They found one 6’5, 240 lb mobile QB and are going to go through 1000 more to find another.

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

QBs that can "solve all the problems" are almost never found in FA though (Drew Brees is a rare exception).  I think we're better off using the premium picks of our draft on the OL.  To me, a good OL improves every part of your offense.  

we can do that, in fact i rather that than draft a QB at #1

good thing is Carr, Jimmy G, Minshew, i will even add TB12 cause i know hes the one you want will all cost us nothing but money.

1 hour ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

Say what you want about Becton, Breece, and AVT but they aren’t dead. If they comeback healthy that could fix the running game. 

The Jets haven’t had a player like Garrett Wilson in some time so that’s exciting. They definitely need to add another weapon to the passing game. 

QB is a question mark, but it can’t get any worse. I think a new OC and QB can get more out of Elijah Moore. 

You lost me at Becton.   QB a question mark?  We dont have one in a league that demands top talent at QB.  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

WR: GW is a star but he's pretty much all we've got.  Eli Moore is a wildcard but he really has been kind of disappointing.  Corey Davis probably will be gone. 

In short, on the offensive side of the ball (which is the more important side in today's NFL), we are a disaster.  We can address OL with our 1st rounder and we have a high 2nd rounder that can probably get us a quality player.  But after that, it's probably a crapshoot.  Odds are that JD doesn't have nearly as good of a draft as he did last year.

In terms of FA, if we pay Derek Carr, I don't know how much money we're going to have left over to improve other parts of this team.

Our defense is very good but it has holes and our ST stink.  But these needs have to be subjugated because the offense needs the overwhelming amount of attention this offseason.

If Hall and AVT come back full healthy this team is good it not a delusion IMO, G Wilson should only get better as well.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

You're never close without a QB.

There's some good pieces and the weaknesses are obvious which should make the move we need to make easier. 

We had Zach Wilson and Mike White playing well enough, when our offensive line was competent and we could run the ball. Everything evolves around the offensive line, running game, and coaching, when our defense is what it is.  The QB is not our biggest issue. I completely disagree.  

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Simple question for Ulbrich:

When you’re getting pressures but not sacks and 0 takeaways, and have 2 of the best outside CBs in the league, how do you not blitz more?

The one or 2 blitzes every thousand snaps seemingly only come vs Skylar Thompson.

Did they blitz Goff or Lawrence once?

I've wondered this as well

The team has talent. Still a lot of what ifs though.

If they can get a legitimate veteran QB like Garappolo to come here that will fix that issue. Obviously he has to stay healthy but beggers can't really be choosers. Carr is the other option but I don't think he's as good of a fit.

If Becton can stay healthy they have the foundation for a good offensive line with him, AVT, and I would suspect a free agent left tackle or a 1st round pick used on one. 

Garrett Wilson is a star and Elijah Moore deserved better this year. I'm starting to wonder if Elijah Moore's issues weren't with Zach Wilson being the QB, but Mike LaFleur. Probably both. He didn't really get the ball much with Flacco or Mike White either. He had a nice game against the Bears and that was kinda it. Still, they have some good pieces at wide receiver. 

Throw in the fact that they have a good defense with some quality young players and the makings of a good team are definitely there. Quarterback is still the biggest issue though, as it normally is with this team, and i'm still not sold on the Head Coach.

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

You can’t be serious. We are a delusional if we think this is true. The offensive line and coaching staff needs an overhaul. The QB is actually secondary. Look at what an even below average QB can do with an offensive line and good play calling, around the league. 

You put Aaron Rodgers on this same team and they are 1000 % contenders.  They elevate the whole team !   Because if you make a mistake he'll get in their azz and they never make that mistake again.  Actually they play better to make up for the mistake.  And the defense feeds off of it. 
      So to answer your question.  Yeah I'm serious. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll go with delusion

38 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Derek Carr scenario looking a lot like Brees with the chargers and how they got him out of there , I believe he’s able to be really good …. Threw almost 5000 a year or 2 ago …. Why we can’t be the Saints, Brees walked into a good defense too

11 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

It’s funny, every time I ask why Will Levis is a first round talent Josh Allen is brought up in some form or fashion. He’s going to get a lot of GMs fired. They found one 6’5, 240 lb mobile QB and are going to go through 1000 more to find another.

You are correct.   I don't know much about Levis.  I didn't like Allen either.  
I think finding a QB is a crapshoot.  

2 minutes ago, ZachStepdad said:

Derek Carr scenario looking a lot like Brees with the chargers and how they got him out of there , I believe he’s able to be really good …. Threw almost 5000 a year or 2 ago …. Why we can’t be the Saints, Brees walked into a good defense too

I'm not a believer in Derek Carr but I have a feeling he's going to be our next QB.

11 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

We had Zach Wilson and Mike White playing well enough, when our offensive line was competent and we could run the ball. Everything evolves around the offensive line, running game, and coaching, when our defense is what it is.  The QB is not our biggest issue. I completely disagree.  

Zach Wilson was never playing well. 

• Upvote 1

Most NFL games are decided by 7 points or less.  Turnover differential is huge. Time management matters, timeouts. Factor in some weird flukey plays and penalties and most games are decided by like 5 plays.
This was a bad year for turnover differential. The jets only recovered 4 fumbles. Fumbled 9 times. Jets defense had 12 picks, offense threw 14 which actually isn’t bad.
In a way the lack of forced and recovered fumbles was a factor. 

They were 31st in that.