The #1 pick and a QB are in play

31 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

When you whiff on the 2nd pick in the draft, you don’t have the luxury of drafting another qb in the mid first round 2 yrs later to sit him.  Douglas needs to keep hitting on those picks like he did last year, just to keep his job.  So expect a lunch pail draft this year, which is what the jets need.  Just keep adding good players and they’ll get a double boost with all the guys returning from injury.  

I'm not predicting what will happen, I'm saying what I'd do.  And I agree, the logic above is the general thought consensus around the league, it's stupid but it's real.  That said I think it's why teams like the Jets, will forever suck.  Nobody you're adding the mid 1st round makes a difference on this team the way drafting one of, if not, the freakiest QB the league has ever seen does.

And just for hypothetical fun; if JD was able to get something for Wilson, sign a solid stable veteran on a 2 year deal, why wouldnt he have the luxury of taking AR?  Admit you ****ed up and trying to fix it is the mark of great leadership, IMO.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JiFields said:

I'm not predicting what will happen, I'm saying what I'd do.  And I agree, the logic above is the general thought consensus around the league, it's stupid but it's real.  That said I think it's why teams like the Jets, will forever suck.  Nobody you're adding the mid 1st round makes a difference on this team the way drafting one of, if not, the freakiest QB the league has ever seen does.

And just for hypothetical fun; if JD was able to get something for Wilson, sign a solid stable veteran on a 2 year deal, why wouldnt he have the luxury of taking AR?  Admit you ****ed up and trying to fix it is the mark of great leadership, IMO.

if douglas got a 2nd for wilson that would be intriguing.  i still think douglas would use those picks to stock the roster from the lines out. 

I’d give up the picks to get to 1.  It’s a rare opportunity when the #1 overall pick becomes available. Go get young or stroud. 

the problem was not that the jets didn’t develop Zach. The problem is they took the wrong qb. If you have another chance I’d say go for it.

sign Jimmy g for a 1 year deal and start him. When he inevitably gets injured then the number 1 pick will come in and play. Long term it’s a better play than signing a Derek carr or minshew.  

if you want to compete against mahomes, Allen, burrow, Herbert, Lamar, etc. then you need a franchise qb. Go get 1.

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I’d give up the picks to get to 1.  It’s a rare opportunity when the #1 overall pick becomes available. Go get young or stroud. 

the problem was not that the jets didn’t develop Zach. The problem is they took the wrong qb. If you have another chance I’d say go for it.

sign Jimmy g for a 1 year deal and start him. When he inevitably gets injured then the number 1 pick will come in and play. Long term it’s a better play than signing a Derek carr or minshew.  

if you want to compete against mahomes, Allen, burrow, Herbert, Lamar, etc. then you need a franchise qb. Go get 1.

Why would Jimmy g take a 1 year deal when several teams are going to be competing for his services? And why would he come to a team he knows is intent on taking a qb #1 overall?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, k-met57 said:

not sure there is a QB out there who is worth the 1st pick.

The Tua size issues are going to scare teams off Young, CJ Stroud is another Ohio State QB, and Levis was OK.

This is a real possibility.  There are about 5 QBs who have potential first round grades but none of them are clear #1 locks even though a few may go very high.  The Texans will be fine taking whoever doesn't go #1.  The Jets might not have to trade up at all to get one of the five depending on who they like and how the round falls.

But I think OT might be the more important position actually.  Grab a veteran QB and add talent to the OL.  Even if Becton comes back, and even if Mitchell is healthy and good next year, we still have nothing else there.  

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is a real possibility.  There are about 5 QBs who have potential first round grades but none of them are clear #1 locks even though a few may go very high.  The Texans will be fine taking whoever doesn't go #1.  The Jets might not have to trade up at all to get one of the five depending on who they like and how the round falls.

But I think OT might be the more important position actually.  Grab a veteran QB and add talent to the OL.  Even if Becton comes back, and even if Mitchell is healthy and good next year, we still have nothing else there.  

There’s nothing wrong with beefing up the OL and pass rush in the draft, going with a veteran qb this year, see what happens with wilson and then draft a qb in 2024.

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

Sure things while drafting a QB isn't really a thing, the closest being Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence in the last decade. 

Also if I hear one more person go "Hurdurr should have drafted Mahomes" yet thinks we shouldn't consider drafting a QB in the first....

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

I’m over it with taking OL in the 1st round. This board is obsessed with it. You don’t need 5 1st round guys to have a good OL.

This is the position group Douglas is supposed to be best at evaluating. He’s had two shots there with Becton and AVT in 3 drafts. There is always talent in the mid rounds. Go find it.

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:10 PM, Green Ghost said:

The Texans are idiots. They won today and lost the #1 pick. 
The Bears aren’t going to go QB, so they’ll probably make the spot available to the highest bidder. (If they don’t they’re as dumb as Houston) 

Bryce Young, and any other QB are on the table now for any team that wants them. We should be at the front of the line, unless you believe a vet nobody else wants is going to take us where we want to go.

The bears are going qb.  Fields is not good

• More Ugh 1

13 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Why would Jimmy g take a 1 year deal when several teams are going to be competing for his services? And why would he come to a team he knows is intent on taking a qb #1 overall?

I don’t think Jimmy G is getting a big contract on open market.  He’s brittle and not great.  49ers would like to move on though Lance doesn’t look good so far