Did Connor Hughes tweet that the Jets will be first in line if Lamar Jackson is made available?

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

money.  that's the reason!

You have to pay for a top end QB all teams know this, if you have one you keep him.

Perhaps the Ravens are actually a smart team that decides that other than about 3 guys in this league you do not over pay for a QB?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I'd imagine the scenario would have to play out where the Ravens don't reach an agreement on an extension, they try to tag him, and Lamar refuses to play under the franchise tag....opening the door for the Ravens to trade him

Look, I'm a Lamar fan....wouldn't have mind drafting him in 2018.....he's one of the most electrifying athletes ever to play the position...and I believe he's severely underrated as a passer......but I do have to take a step back and look at how 2 years in a row his injury cost the Ravens the playoffs in 2021, and the division in 2022, and why such a smart organization is so hesitant on paying him his worth when it seems like a no brainer to just give him the deal. He's young but with an injury history and his style of play, can't expect it to improve.....I love the IDEA of getting Lamar Jackson and finally having a franchise QB, but the idea may not match the reality of what you're signing up for........

To be fair, they did offer him a pretty large extension that he turned down. 

• Upvote 2

Can these two things coexist?

- I'd be thrilled to have him.

- I don't think it'd end well.

The ceiling for a Lamar led team would be uncapped.  He's most likely to get injured and disappoint as a passer IMO.  The Jets have never had a good QB, he's a good QB so if we're gonna suck either way why not shoot for the moon?  It could work out and would definitely break the 50 year cycle of blah QB's and draft failures.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why would Baltimore let him go? 

And if they are happily letting him go from what is considered a smart organization why are the jets leaping in with two feet?

They wouldn’t “happily” be letting him go.  Lamar wants, at the minimum, what DeShaun got, and Baltimore has d*cked him around for multiple years now, dismantling the team around him in the process.  Baltimore wants to use the last two seasons as leverage to not give him a Watson contract, and Lamar is saying “f*ck that, I was a MVP winner, and a candidate this year, for a large part of the season throwing to Devin Duvernay, as my WR1.”

I do know, on very good authority, that if he becomes available, there is very high mutual interest to make him a Jet.  The big question will be how long this could potentially take to work out, because the team does not want to drag their feet and miss out on other opportunities (Jimmy G, Carr, etc.)

• Upvote 4

No single move would improve the team more than signing Lamar. But it’s a pipe dream. He’ll command more than what Deshaun Watson received in his fully guaranteed contract. Jets aren’t opening up the wallet for that. 

Not with Zach Wilson and his elite potential and skills already on the roster! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

I assume the line would be long, how do you determine who's 1st? 

A guy a play golf with at my club knows Douglas very well. He retired from the Ravens FO after over 20 years there, and bought a sports bar here at the beach.

He knows I’m a Jet fan, and he’s been telling me for a year now both Lamar and JD are tight, and this could become a thing.

BTW he loves JD. He laughs when I complain about him. He always tells me let him do work, the man knows his sh*t.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

A guy a play golf with at my club knows Douglas very well. He retired from the Ravens FO after over 20 years there, and bought a sports bar here at the beach.

He knows I’m a Jet fan, and he’s been telling me for a year now both Lamar and JD are tight, and this could become a thing.

BTW he loves JD. He laughs when I complain about him. He always tells me let him do work, the man knows his sh*t.

All of this.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They wouldn’t “happily” be letting him go.  Lamar wants, at the minimum, what DeShaun got, and Baltimore has d*cked him around for multiple years now, dismantling the team around him in the process.  Baltimore wants to use the last two seasons as leverage to not give him a Watson contract, and Lamar is saying “f*ck that, I was a MVP winner, and a candidate this year, for a large part of the season throwing to Devin Duvernay, as my WR1.”

I do know, on very good authority, that if he becomes available, there is very high mutual interest to make him a Jet.  The big question will be how long this could potentially take to work out, because the team does not want to drag their feet and miss out on other opportunities (Jimmy G, Carr, etc.)

and they should... better thrower than people give credit for. instantly makes the offense very good and adds wins.. no brainer move based on the young guys on rookie/team friendly deals. yes would cost draft picks and $ but thinking Jimmy g or Carr would be better than a 26 yr old guy that can run/throw is just wrong

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

What's his take on the odds the Ravens actually move on?

29 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Sure, lets keep those draft picks they've been working greatly

Serious question.

The o Line needs 3 new starters.   If you don't have a 1st rounder for the next 3 years, and you don't have cap space, how are you going to improve the line.

I have no problem paying a QB.  I have a problem with giving up a huge amount of assets AND then making that QB the 1 or 2 highest paid at his position.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

LJ would be a million % upgrade over the current mess.

But the cost would be prohibitive.  You'd have to cough up a ton of draft capital plus pay him 40+M per fully guaranteed.

He's also missed a ton of time injured the last few seasons, and running QBs don't get more durable as they age.  The wheels could fall off at any time.  Once he loses a step as a runner, it's over.

I'd rather sign Carr and draft Anthony Richardson and pray he can develop into something like Lamar.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I do know, on very good authority, that if he becomes available, there is very high mutual interest to make him a Jet.

22 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I didn't realize a path is out there to get him.....I never thought it was a slam dunk that the Ravens would re-sign him...but I didn't think we'd be an option if it didn't work out btwn Lamar and the Ravens

If the possibility is there you have to at least see if you can get something done...JD and Woody are gonna be motivated to make a splash of this nature after the season we had..its gonna cost 2-3 1s, some more day 2 picks, and maybe a young player or two...plus at the Minimum a Deshaun Watson level guaranteed contract...

as much as the injury stuff kinda worries me....you instantly put this team in the contender convo with enough pieces on offense for Lamar to produce....

You'd have to make it clear to MLF that the offense needs to be adapted or he can kick rocks and find an OC that can tailor to Lamar's strengths 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

LaFleur would make him learn how to run every route from every WR position before letting him start at QB and then force him to be a pocket passer that plays within the offense.

I am a big Lamar Jackson fan, but I am fairly certain that timing patterns are not his strong suit.

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You have to pay for a top end QB all teams know this, if you have one you keep him.

Perhaps the Ravens are actually a smart team that decides that other than about 3 guys in this league you do not over pay for a QB?

The reason I think it’s possible is that last part.  This just doesn’t seem to be the Ravens identity as a franchise.   They are always strong everywhere, and this type of contract, for a guy who now has legitimate injury concerns, definitely would limit their ability to have the 1-53 be solid everywhere.

Doesn’t mean they won’t sign him, but it would not surprise me one bit if they decided to change from him.

Another interesting hypothetical I see is what if Arizona’s new regimes loves Young or Stroud and wants to start over with their own guy and rookie contact?  Kyler has flashed big time potential but overall has not been elite and questions about his work ethic etc.

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

You have people here who look at both derek carr and jacoby brissett and say give me brissett, so you're right, going to be fun when fans say no to a 26 year old mvp qb and beg for baker mayfield.

It's going to cost a fortune in dollars and assets. They also have to extend QW who wants 30 mil a year. It's not that simple just saying fans don't want a 26 yo former MVP. His injuries, potential contract, and maybe 3 first rounders going to Baltimore make it a very dicey situation. 

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

image.png.e2ff9727d05b4d70d12bb0f55a065156.png

image.png.f02f807027aaabddd9ec69d9f2ba8168.png

image.png.34a906fb626c732e70d92ae51c7349d2.png

image.png.7b35f76af7b7299b1568233c89784e83.png

image.png.35bc03a3dc95e6e29f891d7fb19e7ccf.png

image.png.23e5d3137d23fd4c562ec19917a13a9b.png

image.png.e4a22d0fe77dd887aacd4bf36b147f1b.png

image.png.3de75ea0b668798f46cc4b717d2f524a.png

image.png.7ec3a6d154d0c28e1b0c65d642ec8ddb.png

image.png.7d8b20e29b107c88fe6a6e8c757d96ba.png

image.png.16c2b538741bdee42375d3d8b686dab0.png

1 - Rotation Player

2 - Star

3 - Still can't say

4 - Star

5 - Bust? Hard to tell he was always going to be a niche player at 5'7, for his draft position hard to say that he's a bust

6 - Average in his best day

7 - Floating in the bust terriotory, trade requested

8 - Echols? Really?

9 - Looked to a star in the making

10 - High end starter

11 - Injuried/Too early to tell

You really took your time with this huh? Where did the 2020 class go? Most of the 2021 class in the list is not great tbh. History tell us that jets GMs don't know how to pick players, especially QB, if they did we're not here having this conversation. Lamar may cost a lot draft capital wise, but he's a polarizing player, and you already have a core of young guys to surround him. Having a good FA LT to play with him would no be that hard to get. I believe this team could go places with a new QB, WR2 and a healthy OL. Biggest piece of the puzzle is QB, the rest you can find later.

2 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

1 - Rotation Player

2 - Star

3 - Still can't say

4 - Star

5 - Bust? Hard to tell he was always going to be a niche player at 5'7, for his draft position hard to say that he's a bust

6 - Average in his best day

7 - Floating in the bust terriotory, trade requested

8 - Echols? Really?

9 - Looked to a star in the making

10 - High end starter

11 - Injuried/Too early to tell

You really took your time with this huh? Where did the 2020 class go? Most of the 2021 class in the list is not great tbh. History tell us that jets GMs don't know how to pick players, especially QB, if they did we're not here having this conversation. Lamar may cost a lot draft capital wise, but he's a polarizing player, and you already have a core of young guys to surround him. Having a good FA LT to play with him would no be that hard to get. I believe this team could go places with a new QB, WR2 and a healthy OL. Biggest piece of the puzzle is QB, the rest you can find later.

If your definition of a good draft is drafting all starters....you don't know jack about football.

20 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Serious question.

The o Line needs 3 new starters.   If you don't have a 1st rounder for the next 3 years, and you don't have cap space, how are you going to improve the line.

I have no problem paying a QB.  I have a problem with giving up a huge amount of assets AND then making that QB the 1 or 2 highest paid at his position.

Yes every team has 5 first rounders playing in the OL, cut the crap dude.

If JD is a good GM or the OL guru he was sold to be he can find guys later.

Having Lamar Jackson would bring FA's to play here. Want to find money to pay them? Its easy, you don't have a 17m/year LB in your roster.

This salary cap is bullsh*t, how many years did the Jets have the most salary cap in the league and was absolute dog sh*t?

Good teams make it work, if you want good players you have to pay.