Saleh - "We'll definitely hire a senior offensive assistant"

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t have a problem with this, honestly.

Sure, I would’ve loved Woody throwing the bank at Payton/Harbaugh, but bringing in Kubiak as the wise old sage to oversee the offense and signing Carr/Garoppolo certainly isn’t the end of the world.

Bolster the OL and the only way this team doesn’t win 10+ games is if we get completely bent over a barrel with injuries.

Yeah, I think it’s the pragmatic approach, and should—in theory—pay off.

• Upvote 2

On 1/9/2023 at 3:50 PM, Hex said:

Saleh isn't strong enough to fire his friend, which is understandable but (in my opinion) he needs to be able to do. Hopefully this works as an alternative.

Of course you are correct.  The only reason to hire a senior offensive assistant is so Saleh doesn't have to fire his friend.  It is a "work-around."

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

So would they keep white too, as the #2 and keep wilson inactive?

I didn’t listen to the whole thing, but Rosenblatt has suggested in prior episodes that Douglas is going to have a price for White and if someone beats it, he’ll let him walk. Rosenblatt thinks White will have offers this offseason.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Hughes and Rosenblatt just did a podcast where they suggested the Saleh/Douglas plan is to run it back with LaFleur, but fire Calabrese, bring in Kubiak and Garoppolo/Carr, and keep Zach as a dead-end backup because 1. He has no trade value and 2. They can reasonably convince Woody that there’s still hope of fixing him. Both guys were adamant, however, that everyone at the Jets knows Zach is a sunk cost, and now it’s about papering over the mistake.

The x-factor, as they tell it, is that Woody is very reactionary, and is also very engaged with the base on Twitter, so nobody knows if he’d overrule everyone just to get some cheap love on social media. Hughes suggests that we’ll know by Friday if LaFleur is staying or going. 

The problem w/ this is that Jimmy G., Zach isnt a dead end back-up, he become a quite necessary back up because Jimmy G. cant stay on the field.

Maybe they ultimately like that idea of being able to sneak him onto the field w/ an excuse but that's yikes. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, JiFields said:

The problem w/ this is that Jimmy G., Zach isnt a dead end back-up, he become a quite necessary back up because Jimmy G. cant stay on the field.

Maybe they ultimately like that idea of being able to sneak him onto the field w/ an excuse but that's yikes. 

Personally, I think they’ll move Zach just to be rid of the distraction, and because I think Zach’s people will push for it. I think Hughes and Rosenblatt were both operating on the premise that satisfying Woody Johnson was Job One at Florham Park right now, and that Douglas would avoid taking a loss on the investment

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Yeah, I get the appeal of Jimmy in terms of schematic knowledge but he’s going to miss games. Realistically if that’s the plan you need a backup and Wilson to be a third string guy. Under those circumstances you could probably sell a reasonable backup option on getting snaps since Jimmy gets hurt.

The QB carousel could get weirder too. It’s not out of the realm of possibility Tannehill and/or Cousins become available as well.

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Hughes and Rosenblatt just did a podcast where they suggested the Saleh/Douglas plan is to run it back with LaFleur, but fire Calabrese, bring in Kubiak and Garoppolo/Carr, and keep Zach as a dead-end backup because 1. He has no trade value and 2. They can reasonably convince Woody that there’s still hope of fixing him. Both guys were adamant, however, that everyone at the Jets knows Zach is a sunk cost, and now it’s about papering over the mistake.

The x-factor, as they tell it, is that Woody is very reactionary, and is also very engaged with the base on Twitter, so nobody knows if he’d overrule everyone just to get some cheap love on social media. Hughes suggests that we’ll know by Friday if LaFleur is staying or going. 

They know that's not actually Woody tweeting right?

Just now, T0mShane said:

Personally, I think they’ll move Zach just to be rid of the distraction, and because I think Zach’s people will push for it. I think Hughes and Rosenblatt were both operating on the premise that satisfying Woody Johnson was Job One at Florham Park right now, and that Douglas would avoid taking a loss on the investment

If they’re going to bring in a guy like carr or jimmy g, assuming these guys don’t get hurt week 1 (and with jim that’s a risky one), it sounds like the plan next season is for ZW not to see the field.  If that’s truly the case, they should try to trade wilson now, b/c if he’s inactive most games next season, or is #2 and never plays, that depreciates his value further.  

And i do agree with the distraction.  It seems that when Knapp passed the team had no real plan for how to develop ZW, instead they seemed to have assumed he’d just pick stuff up on the job.  And this past season it does seem that MLF didn’t want to deal with the development stuff as he immersed himself in gameplanning.  

Fast forward to 2023 training camp and this team needs to win now, and if all their injured guys return (esp. becton, what a boost that could be), they could win games with an experienced qb.  So I’m not sure if saleh/MLF and even douglas at this point have the luxury of time to devote coaching resources to try to salvage wilson next season when they’re making a playoff push.  More likely they’ll draft someone in 2024 and have that guy sit for a year. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jimmy G will have options. Unless the Jets seriously  overpay, I’d imagine New England would have a leg up there. Carr does not feel like a fit at all in NY.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If they’re going to bring in a guy like carr or jimmy g, assuming these guys don’t get hurt week 1 (and with jim that’s a risky one), it sounds like the plan next season is for ZW not to see the field.  If that’s truly the case, they should try to trade wilson now, b/c if he’s inactive most games next season, or is #2 and never plays, that depreciates his value further.  

And i do agree with the distraction.  It seems that when Knapp passed the team had no real plan for how to develop ZW, instead they seemed to have assumed he’d just pick stuff up on the job.  And this past season it does seem that MLF didn’t want to deal with the development stuff as he immersed himself in gameplanning.  

Fast forward to 2023 training camp and this team needs to win now, and if all their injured guys return (esp. becton, what a boost that could be), they could win games with an experienced qb.  So I’m not sure if saleh/MLF and even douglas at this point have the luxury of time to devote coaching resources to try to salvage wilson next season when they’re making a playoff push.  More likely they’ll draft someone in 2024 and have that guy sit for a year. 

I don’t think the plan can include dedicated resources toward developing Zach Wilson in any event. He’s just bad. It happens. 

Bonus Question: Who was Jamarcus Russell’s offensive coordinator? 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jimmy G will have options. Unless the Jets seriously  overpay, I’d imagine New England would have a leg up there. Carr does not feel like a fit at all in NY.

Probably? But I think the Jets will offer the money and the receivers that could be more attractive to Garoppolo. The Pats are kind of a mess. It sounds like they could miss out on Bill O’Brien, too

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think the plan can include dedicated resources toward developing Zach Wilson in any event. He’s just bad. It happens. 

Bonus Question: Who was Jamarcus Russell’s offensive coordinator? 

If they bring in a veteran qb it’s an admission that they don’t think wilson will ever amount to anything, so why bring in coaches/tutors to deal with that.  Douglas will probably trade him for the best haul he can.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

If they bring in a veteran qb it’s an admission that they don’t think wilson will ever amount to anything, so why bring in coaches/tutors to deal with that.  Douglas will probably trade him for the best haul he can.  

Agreed. 100%. I’d try to flip him for Trey Lance.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Probably? But I think the Jets will offer the money and the receivers that could be more attractive to Garoppolo. The Pats are kind of a mess. It sounds like they could miss out on Bill O’Brien, too

Carr has an iron clad no trade clause fwiw. If the Pats are a mess then what are the Jets? Kraft vs Woody makes Garrett Wilson irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Carr has an iron clad no trade clause fwiw. If the Pats are a mess then what are the Jets? Kraft vs Woody makes Garrett Wilson irrelevant.

No argument on the owners, but everything else tips toward the Jets, imo. The Pats OL is dead, it’s 50/50 Patricia returns at OC, and Jakobi Meyers is a free agent. 

3 hours ago, JiFields said:

If I have to watch Zach stink it up again in regular season games and cost us another playoff berth next season I’m going to go insane

Hell no to Jimmy G. He gets injured sneezing the wrong way 

Jimmy G on this team is a an upgrade but not a major one imo

Brock Purdy is not some awesome guy that fell through the cracks.  

Frisco is far far better team than the jets with all the pieces to make a QB look good.

Vastly better oline

Vastly better defense

Multiple weapons

Better coaching

We should be first in line to go after Carr.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FootballLove said:

LeFleur coaches and calls plays from the booth. Says he can see the field better, which, of course is true.

But separating yourself from the men in the trenches also separates yourself from the human emotions of the game. The sweat, the blood, the high fives.

I get why he removed himself from the action to coach from ahigh, But I wonder if he's missing an important element of the game. Sitting next to Zack and talking things out between series. Talking to the lineman and running backs when plays go off the rails. Stuff like that. Seeing his men up close, hearing all the small comments made on the sidelines.

None of the coaches talk to the players 

Salad blank staring into the abyss dreaming about golf 

LaFloor in the booth

CIRCUS!!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FactsOnly said:

None of the coaches talk to the players 

Salad blank staring into the abyss dreaming about golf 

LaFloor in the booth

CIRCUS!!

I can see Salad, as he has the whole team to worry about and is always watching the field. But OC and DC only worry about half the game, and should have time to interact with their players between series. Which never seems to happen much on our sidelines. At least what we can see on TV during the game.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, FootballLove said:

I can see Salad, as he has the whole team to worry about and is always watching the field. But OC and DC only worry about half the game, and should have time to interact with their players between series. Which never seems to happen much on our sidelines. At least what we can see on TV during the game.

Zach wanted a coach on the sidelines with him to coach him up during games

Jets proceeded by putting MLF in the booth and hiring nobody to replace Greg Knapp as a tenured QB groomer

CIRCUS

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Kingsbury has gotten a lot of mileage out of his losing record at Texas Tech.

I was shocked when the Arizona Cardinals hired the guy who was fired for going 5-7 every year at Texas Tech. Now he's a hot OC candidate for having a losing record with the Cardinals!

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/2021-nfl-offensive-rankings

another terrible take by this guy

learn something

13 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

kid your mom is already following me around, I dont need you as well

kid mero l GIF by Desus & Mero

I posted in this thread before you you idiot loser and I'll continue to read the thread, nobody gives a flying **** about you and your mom jokes ?

make sh*t posts, get corrected

On 1/9/2023 at 9:50 PM, neckdemon said:

wtf....it seems like saleh wants to coddle these guys. says wilson should just go read a book. wants to "quiet" the qb room. wtf is next you gonna rub baby lotion on the kid and sing him lullabies? 

They already got someone for that

A594E7AA-1796-418E-8903-7F07990F5D2F.thumb.jpeg.2e5d2446b03da08c408b60c053f1f694.jpeg

19 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

At this point i think douglas would take a 2024 2nd.  

Probably only conditionally, depending on how much Wilson might play. And really, he is not gonna be an NFL starter, so it's a face saving smokescreen. Something like a 5th round pick that becomes a 2nd rounder if miraculously Wilson starts 8 games and Jets take the cap hit. Teams will only take him cheap, with the idea is may be someday he becomes an adequate backup. 

They f__ed up really massively. But they have to cut bait because having him hang around is in nobody's interest.