Did Woody make a mistake sitting out this coaching/GM carousel

You can argue that Douglas and even Coach Saleh deserve another year. However with the Carolina job looking to go to Wilks it looks to be a lean job market. 

Had Woody pulled the plug you could argue the Jets would have been the top job available (Houston, Denver, Arizona). 

Next year the market is almost certainly going to correct itself and the Jets may have to settle for another mid tier candidate at both GM and HC. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

Arizona and Houston ownership don’t have good reputations. Denver is a great job, but not right now obviously. 

Arizona stood by their GM in a power struggle with Arians who was actually good two bust QB's, two bust HC and a DUI.  There are no State income taxes in Texas.  Woody is a boob.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think if Woody could have actually signed Harbaugh or Payton he would have. I'm sure if he tried back channel calls to their agents they didn't answer or hung up.

"Hi this is the Wood man!"

"Who?"

"Woody Johns...hello? Hello?..."

Woody isn't paying 12 to 15 million for a head coach.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think if Woody could have actually signed Harbaugh or Payton he would have. I'm sure if he tried back channel calls to their agents they didn't answer or hung up.

"Hi this is the Wood man!"

"Who?"

"Woody Johns...hello? Hello?..."

Ultimately even if those guys wanted to coach in the NFL again they don’t need to. The hiring going to be at least as much selling the job to them as it is selling them for the job.

I could be completely wrong but I don’t think it’s unrealistic that both might sit out this cycle, and if they sit out I’m not sure the Jets being an option would’ve changed that.

This seems like a cycle that coordinators get jobs. There’s a couple I like but if they’re picky they could certainly sit out as well.

Looks like my prediction of the OC from the Lions may be pre-empted by guys years cycle. Anyway, there’s always a few good candidates, and we always get convinced we got one of them.

Sakeh was no different. All we can do is hope his 3rd year is a killer one.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The less decisions Woody Johnson makes, the better.  He's sure to bungle any hire.  We live or die with Joe Douglas, for better or worse.  If he fails, we're f**ked until Woody dies or sells the team.

Yup. Having Woody involved in any hiring decision is a recipe for disaster as we have seen so many times before. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The less decisions Woody Johnson makes, the better.  He's sure to bungle any hire.  We live or die with Joe Douglas, for better or worse.  If he fails, we're f**ked until Woody dies or sells the team.

The core problem.

There's never a plan. Johnson doesn't talk to people to explore the possibilities. Other organizations, they're feeling  people out, talking to them, all the time. . Plus they know football.

There's nobody lined up.

Nobody respects him, and the organization is viewed as a joke. Robert Wood Johnson IV will fire everyone in a fit, refuse to overpay the likes of Harbaugh, Payton or Gruden. And then the Jets are stuck with some Mickey Mouse scouting director for GM like Coffee Boy, and some nobody coordinator who will work cheap and tolerate Hymie Whatshisname running around Florham Park like a big shot football guy. The Giants or Steelers would not have Hymie doing anything more significant that fetching coffee orders or parking cars. He's the Jets club president.   Look at this work of F___in' fiction. If you kid tried to submit this nonsense on a book report, you'd get called up to school-

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/front-office-roster/hymie-elhai

• Upvote 3

I think Woody made the right call.

I’m as frustrated as anyone about the late season collapse, and I can’t blame anyone who wanted change. However, once we get away from the disappointment of the end of the season and look back we will realize the progress that was made and the upgrade in talent on this team. You can’t keep starting over, continuity goes a long way. Give this team a QB like Garoppolo and draft an offensive lineman to go along with a returning AVT and dare I say Becton. I expect this team to be in the playoffs next season.

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Douglas priority #1 should be to fix this offensive line. It doesn't necessarily need to be with another first round pick. You can find depth/starters in free agency and in the later rounds. More youth at linebacker, which means Mosley is gone. Re-sign Quinnen Williams, which could mean we say goodbye to Lawson or re-work his contract. Go get a veteran quarterback that can run this offensive system, and then rehabilitate Zach Wilson or find another young quarterback who you're not looking to throw in the fire right away. Honestly things have gone so bad for Zach Wilson here I think it might be better to move him for both the Jets and Wilson. 

Agreed

Bring in a quality veteran QB and bolster the OL.

If the Jets were to bring in a guy like Garoppolo, sign a decent guard to replace Tomlinson’s useless ass (Nate Davis would be a good get) and find a quality, starting caliber OT within the first 2 rounds, that alone should make this squad a playoff team IMO.

The OL shouldn’t be the sh*t show it was towards the end of the season. AVT will be back, Brown gets a full offseason to rehab his shoulder, and maybe Becton can add some value as the swing tackle who could make a big impact in short yardage and goaline situations.

This team isn’t that far off.

Get a decent QB, keep said QB upright and we’ll be in business.

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately if I am Woody I am at this point telling JD how to do his job.

I would be telling him to fix the OL through the draft, find a QB in FA for a reasonable contract and find a tutor for Zach, even if we have to pay Beck through the nose to come to NY.  

If he does that, whoever succeeds these guys will have something to work with. Easier said than done.  

40 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think Woody made the right call.

I’m as frustrated as anyone about the late season collapse, and I can’t blame anyone who wanted change. However, once we get away from the disappointment of the end of the season and look back we will realize the progress that was made and the upgrade in talent on this team. You can’t keep starting over, continuity goes a long way. Give this team a QB like Garoppolo and draft an offensive lineman to go along with a returning AVT and dare I say Becton. I expect this team to be in the playoffs next season.

The smart play is lowered expectations.