Try-Hard Backup QB - Why White Over Heinicke?

Warfish

Title says it all.

This forum and fanbase has been semi-obsessed with Mike White for a while now.

But with both Mike White and Taylor Heinicke available as FA QB's for backup roles, why would we want White if Heinicke were available for (likely) similar dollars?

One has gotten hurt almost every game he has played, resulting in missed time, and poor play (when rushed back).  He also throws alot of INT's.

The other is a similar try-hard gamer, a team-first kinda guy, but has not yet been hurt despite similar poor O-line abuses, and has produced consistently, albeit similarly with turnovers.  And he has alot more starting experience.

White:  7 Starts, 8 games,  2-5 team record as starter, 191 for 307 (62.2%), 2,145 passing yards (7.0 YPA), 8 TD, 12 INT, 4.1 Sack %, 2 Fumbles.

Heinicke:  25 Starts, 33 games, 12-12-1 team record as starter, 530 for 830 (63.9%), 5,745 passing yards (6.9 YPA), 34 TD, 24 INT, 6.8 Sack %, 15 Fumbles.

We shouldn't be sitting on our laurels at any level of the QB position, if we can improve the starter AND the backup, why not do so?

Food for thought. 

Especially if the team is indeed still in on Zach, we'll want the best backup we can get for if Zach gets hurt for a third year in a row, or sucks at historic levels for a third year in a row.

• Upvote 4

If I were the Commies I'd value Heinicke over White and vice versa with White and the Jets.

White has proven to be a good backup here who's twice lifted the team in two seasons when they needed it. He knows the offence, has a good emotional connection with the fans and more importantly the locker room. 

Both are around the same level. High end backups, can do a job as a starter. Neither is a guy who's shown enough to be relied on long term. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Title says it all.

But with both Mike White and Taylor Heinicke available as FA QB's for backup roles, why would we want White if Heinicke were available for (likely) similar dollars?

One has gotten hurt almost every game he has played, resulting in missed time, and poor play (when rushed back).  He also throws alot of INT's.

The other is a similar try-hard gamer, a team-first kinda guy, but has not yet been hurt despite similar poor O-line abuses, and has produced consistently, albeit similarly with turnovers.  And he has alot more starting experience.

White:  7 Starts, 8 games,  2-5 team record as starter, 191 for 307 (62.2%), 2,145 passing yards (7.0 YPA), 8 TD, 12 INT, 4.1 Sack %, 2 Fumbles.

Heinicke:  25 Starts, 33 games, 12-12-1 team record as starter, 530 for 830 (63.9%), 5,745 passing yards (6.9 YPA), 34 TD, 24 INT, 6.8 Sack %, 15 Fumbles.

We shouldn't be sitting on our laurels at any level of the QB position, if we can improve the starter AND the backup, why not do so?

Food for thought. 

Especially if the team is indeed still in on Zach, we'll want the best backup we can get for if Zach gets hurt for a third year in a row, or sucks at historic levels for a third year in a row.

6 of one half dozen of the other. 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Title says it all.

Food for thought. 

Agreed. But, exactly how will that work. If the Jets sign a veteran to start, or compete with Zach to start as they seem to be saying, it certainly looks like they intend on having Zach as the back-up.  I guess they can sign a quality back-up with the understanding that they will probably be #3 and inactive most games, but if there are other opportunities to be a #2, it makes no sense to sign with the Jets. 

As far as White, he's gone. The "brain" trust can not afford to have him around as an option while Zach is still on the roster. They will offer him #3 money with knowledge that he will leave for a team offering #2 money. 

29 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agreed. But, exactly how will that work. If the Jets sign a veteran to start, or compete with Zach to start as they seem to be saying, it certainly looks like they intend on having Zach as the back-up.  I guess they can sign a quality back-up with the understanding that they will probably be #3 and inactive most games, but if there are other opportunities to be a #2, it makes no sense to sign with the Jets. 

As far as White, he's gone. The "brain" trust can not afford to have him around as an option while Zach is still on the roster. They will offer him #3 money with knowledge that he will leave for a team offering #2 money. 

I think presumptions that we are signing a quality veteran QB to be our #1 are a bit early at this point.

The only thing the team has said is "we believe in Zach".

Could just be trade smoke, but it absolutely could also be "we invested so much in him, we have to give him a third year as starter before we move on".  

Until I read the press release that we've signed a good Vet to start for us, I won't believe we're doing it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think presumptions that we are signing a quality veteran QB to be our #1 are a bit early at this point.

The only thing the team has said is "we believe in Zach".

Could just be trade smoke, but it absolutely could also be "we invested so much in him, we have to give him a third year as starter before we move on".  

Until I read the press release that we've signed a good Vet to start for us, I won't believe we're doing it.

That is an excellent point. I've read about the Jets signing a veteran QB so much that I forgot that not one person associated with the team has even mentioned it.

In that case ......

image.jpeg.7e52063bcadd1dd6d1182626eb84f004.jpeg

• Haha 2

I don’t think the Jets can exclude any options. 

They basically need to offer a variety of QBs premiums to what their values are.  The first one to accept can be signed.

For example, if Jimmy G should be worth $30mm, and MFW $8mm, offer them $32mm and $10mm respectively.   Whoever accepts first wins.  

How can the Jets extend Quinnen until they know what the QB costs?

• Upvote 1

I'd be really surprised if JD goes big game hunting for a QB. Feels like a bridge situation to me on the hope that Zach figures it out.  Minshew,  Heinicke, etc. fit the mold or even a retread like Brady. Don't see them committing money or years to Carr or Jimmy G. JMO...

43 minutes ago, undertow said:

Mike White fans - Yeah I like him but he hasn't proven he should start next year but I hope they keep him around as back up.

Zach Wilson fanboys - OMG OMG we can't give up on him yet those 150 yards are almost like Patrick Mahomes Mike White sucks.

This is fabricated. The MW fanboys were gobbling him up until the last game he played. 

The Zach fanboys likely all left after the Jax game or the earlier pats game 

• Upvote 1

I’d rather go for a Winston type player. Has proven to be a serviceable starter who can put up major points. 

The white/heineke types are game manager types. 

Give me Winston/Zach/mid round pick as the qb room 

Fix the OL and bring in a capable vet offensive coach

44 minutes ago, TommyT said:

I wanted Mike White based on I did not want Zach Wilson. I have no desire that White is our 2023 qb. 

My sentiments exactly. Love White and the 2 games he won were some of the best moments to be a Jets fan but he's proven to be without a doubt a porcelain doll. It's a shame. If his body could hold up I think he's a for sure top 15-20 QB running this offense.

Edit: OK maybe just a competent starter. Top 15 is a bit much. 

1 hour ago, undertow said:

Mike White fans - Yeah I like him but he hasn't proven he should start next year but I hope they keep him around as back up.

Zach Wilson fanboys - OMG OMG we can't give up on him yet those 150 yards are almost like Patrick Mahomes Mike White sucks.

get real

1 hour ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Because White knows the offense and is familiar with the personnel. I think they are similar in ability so the guy with the familiarity gets the edge

Baker showed up on a Saturday and played lights out on a Sunday (not literal). A professional QB learns an offense very quickly. NO ZACH JOKES.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That is an excellent point. I've read about the Jets signing a veteran QB so much that I forgot that not one person associated with the team has even mentioned it.

In that case ......

image.jpeg.7e52063bcadd1dd6d1182626eb84f004.jpeg

This would be an upgrade at the backup spot for sure.