The Mystery of Laken Tomlinson's Sudden Decline

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Every single time a relatively young, solid performing offensive lineman hits the open market, with zero interest shown from his previous team, it should be a red flag. The 49ers made no attempt to bring him back. None. There was a reason.

DRAFT O-LINE.

More true for tackles than guards but I agree. Teams don’t let young good players at premium positions ever get away unless there are issues.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

2 reasons 

1 he played next to trent williams the best LT in football (and the only madden 99 rated lineman)

2 he was never that good of an athlete to begin with

laken-tomlinson-ras-12047.png

agreed he sucked to begin with...go back and watch his game with 49ers and Baltimore...you will see the player we know

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Release Laken and move AVT back to LG. Resign Herbig. OLine could look like:

LT:Brown/Rookie

LG: AVT

C McGovern

RG Herbig 

RT: Becton/Mitchell 

Yes to your LT. LG Daulton Risner. Yes to McGovern  AVT RG. Orlando Brown at RT. My dream scenario. AVT at LG was very good. At RG he was flawless. 

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Release Laken and move AVT back to LG. Resign Herbig. OLine could look like:

LT:Brown/Rookie

LG: AVT

C McGovern

RG Herbig 

RT: Becton/Mitchell 

LT: Becton

LG:

C :

RG:

RT: AVT/Mitchell

Brown gonna get surgery not sure he be ready for TC plus he may just retire for all we know

McGovern - wait and see if they resign him

Herbig - I like but he was hot and cold and injured a lot - not sure he ready for prim time - def sh be on team though

Laken probably be LG cause I doubt they cut bait even though they should

Mitchell - didnt look ready despite blood clots - maybe he gets better - good problem to have as he is good swing.

for the rest we see how FA and draft play out.

Obviously I am banking on Becton here.

Just a few days ago, Sportrac had Tomlinson's contract structured as an easy 2023 post June 1 cut

But they have changed it from a $4.6 million cap hit for a post 6/1 release to $14 million. So, it looks like Laken will be a Jet in 2023. I certainly hope he figures it out. But, him mailing it on knowing that he was eminently uncuttable for 2023 certainly makes more sense now.

image.thumb.png.e3ee3f21d83c1cb58bc9993ff81451a4.png

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

He let one sack up all season and had 1 penalty called on him and the left side of the offensive line looked like the best in the NFL when Breece was healthy. 

The Jets have much bigger problems on the offensive line than Laken Tomlinson. 

Tomlinson was beaten badly all over the field in every game.  Gave up instant pressures leading to TFLs and throw aways.  He was horrific this year

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

It is not a mystery and it is not a surprise. The guy has always been an average to below average guard.

I almost blew a freakin' stack when Joe Douglas gave him that life-changing contract. Good for the Tomlinson family's future, hopefully he manages that insane gift properly, but WTF is wrong with this general manager?

He needs to fix his evaluation of the OL position and in professional scouting in general