Pressure on Pretzel Breaker to get QB right (Cimini)

kevinc855

5 hours ago, Hex said:

MLF isn't a professional. Not when he's calling the most predictable plays and an awful gameplan.

I agree it's not on MLF to teach Zach footwork. That's not the issue 99% of people on this board have with him. But he won't tailor his offense to the needs and strengths of the QB playing, he won't let them change the play, and his plays are so predictable the offense can only manage one or two field goals a game regardless of the QB or opponent.

Zach Wilson's strength is off schedule improvised bombs across the field. That's not really a play. OC don't call desperation bombs. Nothing good happens 7 seconds after the snap. 

The Jets ran alot because they were protecting the qb. It was conservative because they had no qb and a bad line. Chicken vs egg. MLF got Mike Whites jersey into canton, so my guess is that he's not the problem.

Saleh and the coordinators are learning on the job but they are only as good as the qb and the players up front 

The Jets could invest more in some of the positions coaches, maybe some better scouts... that's like the most we can hope for cause they are not cleaning house for a year or two. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, hotrodcharlie said:

How many second chances does Joe Douglas get?

1) there was pressure on him to get the QB position right when he arrived. (you would think they discussed his plan at QB when they hired him)

2) there was pressure on him to get the QB position right when they traded Sam Darnold.

3) Now there's pressure on him to get it right when his hand-picked choice to replace Sam Darnold sucks.

Douglas is not the guy. I wish he was fired 

It's like you don't even know it's a sixteen year plan

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He started last 2 years and was never good on any level.  Are you silly enough to think the people managing the jets have a clue?

One more time, I didn’t say a thing on whether he could do anything next year.  

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Zach Wilson's strength is off schedule improvised bombs across the field. That's not really a play. OC don't call desperation bombs. Nothing good happens 7 seconds after the snap. 

The Jets ran alot because they were protecting the qb. It was conservative because they had no qb and a bad line. Chicken vs egg. MLF got Mike Whites jersey into canton, so my guess is that he's not the problem.

Saleh and the coordinators are learning on the job but they are only as good as the qb and the players up front 

The Jets could invest more in some of the positions coaches, maybe some better scouts... that's like the most we can hope for cause they are not cleaning house for a year or two. 

Why did the Jets offense struggle with Mike White this season anyways then? 
Maybe you’re right, and MLF isn’t the problem. But every single Jets QB failed to score in the endzone really after that Pats game. It wasn’t only Zach. The fact that his plays can be called by a 4 year old is also very worrying.

Either way, something on the offensive staff needs to change. It’s more than just a bad roster.

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Pull up some snyders (my fav) pretzels and take a read. Also what is your favorite pretzel? 

beach boys relax GIF

Don’t worry! The plan for Zach is already underway. I expect there to be vast improvement to his play next year. He’s killing the off-season program so far.

Heres a photo of him going through his mental prep session with MLF at Fire Island.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Give me Tartine or give me death.

I got my daughter hooked so good, I’ll bake 2 loaves. 1 for her, 1 for the rest of us. She just loves it. 

One if the best things is that it has allowed me to expand both kids palette to more flavorful cheeses by way of using the bread for “fancy” grilled cheese. Kids are 5 and 9 now, but guys has gone in for about 3 years. So, it’s become quite the thing in our  house.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, football guy said:

(for good reason: they landed some top notch talent at other positions). 

For whatever reason they choose to 1) depend on Fant, 2) expected Becton to play, and 3) felt they could add castoffs to assemble a reasonable line. All these were wrong. Not drafting OL high in the draft was a mistake.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Pull up some snyders (my fav) pretzels and take a read. Also what is your favorite pretzel? 

This part below really blew me away. Baker Mayfield is the only quarterback with a lower QBR than Zach Wilson. Wow. How could anyone be worse than Zach Wilson these past two seasons? @Green Ghost

Douglas said the decision-makers will have "tough, hard conversations" as they formulate a quarterback plan. One thing seems clear: They're not going to hand the starting job to Wilson, who ranks 33rd out of 34 qualified passers in QBR (34.6) over the past two seasons. The only quarterback with a lower QBR is Baker Mayfield (33.6).

32 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

For whatever reason they choose to 1) depend on Fant, 2) expected Becton to play, and 3) felt they could add castoffs to assemble a reasonable line. All these were wrong. Not drafting OL high in the draft was a mistake.

Eh, there's no way I can blame them for their draft decisions. Sauce over Ekwonu was the right move... could be a generational corner. Garrett Wilson was the right move. They rated Jermain Johnson as a top 10 player and the only other OL I think they legitimately viewed high enough to trade up for was Trevor Penning, who went 19th overall. Breece Hall was another case of clear-cut BPA... for comp sake, he was pick #36. The next highest drafted OL? Cam Jurgens at #51 - who is a developmental C for the Eagles. 

One player the Jets liked as a developmental OT was Bernhard Raimann, but he went far earlier than our 3rd round pick. 

You want to blame them for depending on Fant and Becton that's fair; however, they were interested in signing Brown before either of those guys got hurt. So I think they had a plan but it went seriously wrong. The fact that every tackle they had in training camp (Fant, Becton, Brown, Mitchell, McDermott) all spent time on IR is astounding. It's even crazier when you consider they brought in two more tackles midseason and one of them also spent time on IR (Ogbuehi). When you sustain that many injuries + lose your best OL and have a bunch of guys playing hurt all season long- not sure there's much more you can do.

What they need to do now is determine what they can do better to ensure these injuries don't happen (freak occurrence or not) while also improving the pipeline so that if there are injuries or poor play, you feel more comfortable with the next man up. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

To me, this was the big mistake he made -- counting on Becton.  Fant was good last season at LT.  We should have been better prepared for the Becton injury, given his history.  His injury, imo, started the chain of events that led to a patchwork OL.  They counted on an OL of:

LT: Fant
LG: Tomlinson
C McGovern
RG AVT
RT Becton

Becton goes down and you have to move Fant to RT and sign Brown at LT.   Brown hurts his shoulder and we have to start Mitchell a 4th round rookie in week 1.  When Brown comes back, we shift Fant to RT.  He has been better at LT than RT and with Brown playing through injury, both positions are weak.  They held it together ok until the AVT injury and then it all spiraled out of control as the injuries kept mounting up.  We started 11 different offensive linemen this season.  No team has the depth to start 11 different guys along the OL.  With that many injuries, the only guys you are going to find mid-season are cast-offs -- Ogbuehi, Remmers and LDT.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jgb said:

This runs through my mind whenever I see on the homepage that Jet Nut has the latest post in a thread 

3444D456-E652-40EA-9B0E-7655255EEA6A.gif.a9f4b06d67b4bb823af5edcc7f1e1ddb.gif

2D597F7D-B86A-4795-B3C0-3F7F87B9F02F.gif.9216ecb17aa7a864ac2a5a35b1e98e57.gif

And I love how people constantly tell him to stop yelling/stop getting angry/etc and he's always like "But I'm not angry".

When numerous people are saying it, that's a YOU problem, not an US problem....

It's like when someone tells you you're being an a$$hole.  The proper response isn't to say "No I'm not."  That's not your call to make.  It's your responsibility to just take that info in and try to figure out how to be less of an a$$hole.  If you care to do so.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

They rated Jermain Johnson as a top 10 player

After watching Hutchinson play in the GB win.... I certainly hope JJ is Balls to the Walls in this off-season workout program! JD stuck his neck out moving up. JJ owes it to him to show himself worthy of that move up.

JJ - 6'5" 265 ..... 34" arms & 10" hands

Hutch- 6'7" 265 .... 32.25 arms & 10.25 hands

JJ flashed some during the season. Now it's time to take it to the next level.

image.thumb.png.68363e2afcec9a5dec1f8d2e4e1e6c46.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

image.thumb.png.be13c38c5aa56bd21808018d75aa1eda.png

42 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

After watching Hutchinson play in the GB win.... I certainly hope JJ is Balls to the Walls in this off-season workout program! JD stuck his neck out moving up. JJ owes it to him to show himself worthy of that move up.

JJ - 6'5" 265 ..... 34" arms & 10" hands

Hutch- 6'7" 265 .... 32.25 arms & 10.25 hands

JJ flashed some during the season. Now it's time to take it to the next level.

image.thumb.png.68363e2afcec9a5dec1f8d2e4e1e6c46.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

image.thumb.png.be13c38c5aa56bd21808018d75aa1eda.png

First round DE/Rush ends

Hutchinson 958 snaps

Travon Walker 788 snaps

Kayvon Thibadeux 740 snaps

George Karlaftis 730 snaps

Jermaine Johnson 312 snaps

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And I love how people constantly tell him to stop yelling/stop getting angry/etc and he's always like "But I'm not angry".

When numerous people are saying it, that's a YOU problem, not an US problem....

It's like when someone tells you you're being an a$$hole.  The proper response isn't to say "No I'm not."  That's not your call to make.  It's your responsibility to just take that info in and try to figure out how to be less of an a$$hole.  If you care to do so.

He’s entertaining although I do worry about his cardiac health 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

This part below really blew me away. Baker Mayfield is the only quarterback with a lower QBR than Zach Wilson. Wow. How could anyone be worse than Zach Wilson these past two seasons? @Green Ghost

Douglas said the decision-makers will have "tough, hard conversations" as they formulate a quarterback plan. One thing seems clear: They're not going to hand the starting job to Wilson, who ranks 33rd out of 34 qualified passers in QBR (34.6) over the past two seasons. The only quarterback with a lower QBR is Baker Mayfield (33.6).

One word…. Rhule.

Not to make excuses for the guy, but what other QB in recent history has started his career the way Mayfield did his first couple of years, and also had two deal with as many different incompetent HC’s and OC’s. If there was ever a guy I give a pass to, it’s him.

You know the talent is there, you saw it the night he made his Rams debut. I’d have loved to have seen him get to work a few years with McVay, but true to form for Baker, it turns out McVay will probably move on, and our hero will have to start again with a different HC and staff.

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

One word…. Rhule.

Not to make excuses for the guy, but what other QB in recent history has started his career the way Mayfield did his first couple of years, and also had two deal with as many different incompetent HC’s and OC’s. If there was ever a guy I give a pass to, it’s him.

You know the talent is there, you saw it the night he made his Rams debut. I’d have loved to have seen him get to work a few years with McVay, but true to form for Baker, it turns out McVay will probably move on, and our hero will have to start again with a different HC and staff.

Baker will get another opportunity with some team, but he'll have to win a job in training camp. I can't wait for free agency to begin and see where some of these quarterbacks end up. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

One word…. Rhule.

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Baker will get another opportunity with some team, but he'll have to win a job in training camp. I can't wait for free agency to begin and see where some of these quarterbacks end up. 

Baker sucks

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

First round DE/Rush ends

Hutchinson 958 snaps

Travon Walker 788 snaps

Kayvon Thibadeux 740 snaps

George Karlaftis 730 snaps

Jermaine Johnson 312 snaps

So you are saying what? Pointing out JJ durability issues or inability to break into starting rotation? Or, are you highlighting that his productivity is lacking based on snaps?

• 2 months later...

Brett Veach made his entire career off his scouting W on Mahomes.

It’s the reason he got promoted to GM in the first place and will probably be the GM in KC for as long as he wants.

Doesn’t matter how many DROY or OROY sleepy Joe drafts if he can’t figure out an answer at QB.  Everybody will get fired.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Brett Veach made his entire career off his scouting W on Mahomes.

It’s the reason he got promoted to GM in the first place and will probably be the GM in KC for as long as he wants.

Doesn’t matter how many DROY or OROY sleepy Joe drafts if he can’t figure out an answer at QB.  Everybody will get fired.

If Douglas brings in Rodgers and the team lands in the playoffs, he's definitely getting a QB after Rodgers. Even if the QB is serviceable, he's in for a long tenure unless the team melts down. 

On 1/11/2023 at 12:22 AM, Hex said:

Why did the Jets offense struggle with Mike White this season anyways then? 
Maybe you’re right, and MLF isn’t the problem. But every single Jets QB failed to score in the endzone really after that Pats game. It wasn’t only Zach. The fact that his plays can be called by a 4 year old is also very worrying.

Either way, something on the offensive staff needs to change. It’s more than just a bad roster.

this is an easy question to answer. mike white sucked along with zach and flacco

On 1/11/2023 at 10:47 AM, football guy said:

Eh, there's no way I can blame them for their draft decisions. Sauce over Ekwonu was the right move... could be a generational corner. Garrett Wilson was the right move. They rated Jermain Johnson as a top 10 player and the only other OL I think they legitimately viewed high enough to trade up for was Trevor Penning, who went 19th overall. Breece Hall was another case of clear-cut BPA... for comp sake, he was pick #36. The next highest drafted OL? Cam Jurgens at #51 - who is a developmental C for the Eagles. 

One player the Jets liked as a developmental OT was Bernhard Raimann, but he went far earlier than our 3rd round pick. 

You want to blame them for depending on Fant and Becton that's fair; however, they were interested in signing Brown before either of those guys got hurt. So I think they had a plan but it went seriously wrong. The fact that every tackle they had in training camp (Fant, Becton, Brown, Mitchell, McDermott) all spent time on IR is astounding. It's even crazier when you consider they brought in two more tackles midseason and one of them also spent time on IR (Ogbuehi). When you sustain that many injuries + lose your best OL and have a bunch of guys playing hurt all season long- not sure there's much more you can do.

What they need to do now is determine what they can do better to ensure these injuries don't happen (freak occurrence or not) while also improving the pipeline so that if there are injuries or poor play, you feel more comfortable with the next man up. 

hasn't this be a thing for years now? i think they even turned their training staff over and yet here we still are.

at this point i just want as many rotational/capable guys on the OL as i can get going into next season.

Bechton, Tomlinson, AVT, Brown, Mitchell

we need a veteran center, and 2 more guys who would start.

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

hasn't this be a thing for years now? i think they even turned their training staff over and yet here we still are.

at this point i just want as many rotational/capable guys on the OL as i can get going into next season.

Bechton, Tomlinson, AVT, Brown, Mitchell

we need a veteran center, and 2 more guys who would start.

Yes. I don’t understand the injuries. Now they changed the field turf and they’ll point to that as their big change this offseason. Hopefully it helps, but adding the depth is extremely important 

On 1/10/2023 at 2:42 PM, bitonti said:

it's 2 days after the season ended and I'm already sick of the 2023 NYJ 

mostly because I know Zach is going to play, Laken is going to play, CJ Usomah is going to play 

JD is the master of the sunk cost fallacy 

he's never going to give up on his draft picks/FA signings and then we will be sitting here this time next year wondering what happened

again 

Prophetic. Zach is still QB one as of now, 

• Upvote 1